A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
HULSE, a township, in the parish of Great Budworth, union and hundred of Northwich, S. division of the county of Chester, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Northwich; containing 53 inhabitants, and comprising 294 acres, the soil of which is clay and sand.
HULTON-ABBEY, a township, in the parish of Burslem, union of Wolstanton and Burslem, N. division of the hundred of Pirehill and of the county of Stafford, 2 miles (E.) from Burslem; containing 548 inhabitants, and comprising about 1400 acres. It is situated near the Caldon canal, which passes on the west. Coal-mines are wrought extensively in the neighbourhood. At Sneyd-Green is a place of worship for Wesleyans. An abbey of Cistercian monks, in honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary, was founded in 1223 by Henry de Audley, the revenue of which, at the Dissolution, was £76. 14. 11.: the remains have been converted into farm buildings.
Hulton, Little, or Peel
HULTON, LITTLE, or Peel, a chapelry, in the parish of Deane, union of Bolton, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 4½ miles (S.) from Bolton; containing 3052 inhabitants. This place, though having the diminutive epithet, is among the most interesting and important of the townships in the parish. The Hultons were the early lords; but the late Duke of Bridgewater from the high, and as the result has proved, the just, estimate he formed of the value of the minerals, purchased the manor, which is now vested in his heirs. The township is situated on the old mail road from Manchester to Chorley, and on the Roman road from Manchester, and comprises 1470 acres; it stands elevated, and commands fine views of Cheshire. The soil is of good quality, and mostly in pasture and meadow; excellent coal is obtained, and also stone, of which the church at Tyldesley was built. A cotton-mill is in operation. Old Peel Hall is a fine specimen of Elizabethan architecture, belonging to Lord Kenyon, and another noble mansion called Peel Hall, built in 1846, in the same style, is the seat of Jacob Fletcher Fletcher, Esq. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Lord Kenyon; net income, £161, with a house. The chapel, dedicated to St. Paul, was consecrated in 1760, and enlarged in 1818. There are places of worship for Independents, Primitive Methodists, and Wesleyans.
HULTON, MIDDLE, a township, in the parish of Deane, union of Bolton, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 3 miles (S. S. W.) from Bolton; containing 902 inhabitants. This township is situated, like the preceding, on the old mail road from Manchester to Chorley and Preston. It comprises 1280 acres, of which two-thirds are meadow and pasture, and the remainder arable; the surface is level, the soil a stiffish clay, and of moderate quality, and the views from some parts extensive. Excellent coal of the common kind is abundant, as is also cannel coal; and there is a sandstone-quarry. The township is chiefly the property of the Earl of Ellesmere and the Rev. Egerton Bagot, by whom an infant school was built in 1837, in which Church service is occasionally performed.
HULTON, OVER, a township, in the parish of Deane, union of Bolton, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 3¾ miles (S. W.) from Bolton; containing 445 inhabitants. It comprises 1300 acres, chiefly arable land, and entirely the property of William Hulton, Esq., of Hulton Park. The old Hall, the residence of this gentleman's ancestors through many generations, stood upon the site of the present mansion, which is of modern erection; the park is laid out in plantations and pleasure-grounds upon an extensive scale. The ancient chapel attached to the house no longer exists. A handsome school-house was built by Mr. Hulton a few years ago. The substratum of the township is coal.
Humber (St. Mary)
HUMBER (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Leominster, hundred of Wolphy, county of Hereford, 3½ miles (S. E. by E.) from the town of Leominster; containing, with part of the township of Risbury, 247 inhabitants, of whom 71 are in Humber township. It is watered by a branch of the river Lug, and comprises 1362 acres. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 16. 3., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £170.
Humberston (St. Peter)
HUMBERSTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Caistor, wapentake of Bradley-Haverstoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 4 miles (S. E.) from Great Grimsby; containing 269 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the banks of the Humber, and comprises by measurement upwards of 3000 acres, about half of which is pasture, and the remainder arable; the surface is flat, and the soil clayey, producing chiefly wheat, beans, and oats. The Louth navigation joins the Humber on the south of the parish. The village, which is distant nearly two miles from the Humber, is neatly built, and finely interspersed with trees. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 18. 4.; net income, £63; patron, Lord Carrington; appropriator, the Bishop of Lincoln. The church, with the exception of the tower, which is handsome and in the Tudor style, was rebuilt of red brick in the early part of the last century, at an expense of £1000, the bequest of Matthew Humberston, Esq., who died and was interred here in 1709, and to whom there is a splendid monument. For the rebuilding of the church, the parish, by act of parliament, was made tithe free, on payment of about £20 per annum to the rector and vicar. Mr. Humberston also left £1100 to build and endow a school and some almshouses, but the sum remained unappropriated till 1818, when, the funds having accumulated to £24,867, a building was erected, according to a decree of the court of chancery, at a cost of £5000, including the purchase of the site, comprising ten acres of land. The income is £655, of which £100 are paid to the head master, who is vicar of the parish, £80 to an under master, and £30 to the mistress of the girls' school; each of the six inmates of the almshouses has £16 per annum, with coal and other supplies. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A Benedictine monastery was founded here in the reign of Henry II., the revenue of which, at the Dissolution, was £42. 11. 3.
Humberstone (St. Mary)
HUMBERSTONE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Billesdon, hundred of East Goscote, N. division of the county of Leicester, 3 miles (E. N. E.) from Leicester; containing 462 inhabitants. The name has been variously spelt Humerstane and Hubstayn. The manor was granted by the Conqueror to Hugh de Grentemaisnel, and was held as part of the honour of Leicester, in 1474, by Sir William Haselrigge: part was also held by Leicester and Croxton Abbeys. In 1750 the manor was purchased by the Pochin family. The parish is situated near the road from Leicester to Uppingham, and comprises by admeasurement 1500 acres, nearly equally divided between arable and pasture land. The village is pleasantly seated on a declivity north of a small rivulet. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8; net income, £200; patron, Halford Adcock, Esq.; impropriators, the family of Hartopp. The tithes were commuted for land and annual money payments, on the inclosure of the parish, in the 28th of George III., when a small allotment was also made for the benefit of the poor. The church is a neat structure, with a lofty tower crowned by a handsome spire, and contains portions in the early and later English styles. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Humberton, with Milby
HUMBERTON, with Milby, a township, partly in the parish of Kirby-on-the-Moor, wapentake of Hallikeld, N. riding, and partly in the parish of Aldborough, Lower division of the wapentake of Claro, W. riding, of York, 2½ miles (N. N. E.) from Boroughbridge; containing 182 inhabitants. It is situated on the north side of the river Ure, and comprises by computation 2320 acres of land. The Ure, which separates the township from Aldborough, was crossed by a wooden bridge, at Milby, before the Conquest, and some remains of the bridge are still visible when the water is low. The hamlet of Humberton lies about a mile to the west of the Swale.
HUMBLETON, a township, in the parish of Dinnington, union, and E. division of the ward, of Glendale, N. division of Northumberland, 1 mile (W. N. W.) from Wooler; containing 185 inhabitants. This place is memorable as the scene of a sanguinary battle in 1402, between the Scots under Earl Douglas, who had previously laid waste the country as far as Newcastle, and the English army under Lord Percy and the Earl of March; the former to the number of 10,000 men were defeated, with great slaughter, and in commemoration a pillar has been erected on the plain, which, from the number of the slain, retains the name of Redriggs. The township comprises about 1500 acres, of which 600 are meadow and pasture, and the remainder arable: the lands near the village are in good cultivation, and the soil, consisting chiefly of debris of porphyrean rock, is fertile; the hills afford pasture for sheep, and the scenery is embellished with several belts of plantations. On rising ground near Humbleton burn, is an ancient encampment called Green Castle; and on the summit of Humbleton Hill, overlooking the field of battle, is a circular intrenchment, with a large cairn: the declivity of the hill is cut into terraces rising above each other to the height of 20 feet. A stone coffin, inclosing the remains of a gigantic skeleton and an urn, was discovered here in 1811; and there are some remains of a chapel and burial-ground.
Humbleton (St. Peter)
HUMBLETON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Skirlaugh, Middle division of the wapentake of Holderness, E. riding of York; containing, with the townships of Danthorpe, Fitling, and Flinton, and the chapelry of Elstronwick, 568 inhabitants, of whom 137 are in the township of Humbleton, 5 miles (N. E. by N.) from Hedon. This place, in Domesday book called Humeltone, was given, under the style of Humel's town, by William de Scures to the abbey of Thornton, in Lincolnshire, in the year 1162; at the dissolution of monasteries the manor came to the crown, and it is now held by Lord Hotham. The parish comprises 5920 acres, of which about one-third is pasture land: the surface is in some parts level, in others undulated, and the soil mostly a rich clay; the scenery is generally pleasing and embellished with wood. The village is small, neatly built, and picturesquely seated. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10. 1. 0½., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £230; impropriator, Lord Hotham. The church is an ancient and handsome structure, in the later English style, with a square embattled tower; the altarpiece has a painting of the Transfiguration, after Raphael, presented by Miss Dixon. There is a chapel of ease at Elstronwick. Francis Heron, in 1718, devised land now producing an income of £70, for the endowment of a school, with a house and garden for the master, who receives £45 per annum; the remaining £25 are appropriated to apprenticing children.
HUMBY, GREAT, a chapelry, in the parish of Somerby, union of Grantham, wapentake of Winnibriggs and Threo, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 6 miles (W. by S.) from Falkingham; containing 28 inhabitants. The tithes of Great and Little Humby were commuted for land in 1795.
HUMBY, LITTLE, a hamlet, in the parish of Ropsley, union of Grantham, wapentake of Winnibriggs and Threo, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 5½ miles (W. by S.) from Falkingham; containing 69 inhabitants. It consists of 776 acres of land, whereof 124 are woods and plantations.
HUMSHAUGH, a chapelry, in the parish of Simonburn, union of Hexham, N. W. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 5 miles (N. by W.) from Hexham; containing 411 inhabitants. This chapelry, which is bounded on the east by the North Tyne, and on the south by the old Roman wall, comprises by measurement 2710 acres. Limestone is abundant, and is quarried chiefly for agricultural purposes. Humshaugh House commands fine views of the North Tyne. The living is a perpetual curacy; patrons, the Governors of Greenwich Hospital. The tithes have been commuted for £198, payable to the rector of Simonburn, by whom the curate's stipend of £120 is paid; the glebe comprises 3 acres. The chapel (a neat cruciform structure) and the parsonage-house were erected, and a cemetery formed, in 1818, at an expense of about £4000.
HUNCOAT, a township, in the parochial chapelry of Church-Kirk, parish of Whalley, hundred of Burnley, Higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of Lancashire, 5 miles (W. S. W.) from Burnley; containing 467 inhabitants. This was a royal manor in the reign of the Confessor, who, in the great survey, is recorded to have held two carucates in "Hunnicott." James de Huncote, and John his son, occur in the reign of Edward I.; the Hall was occupied by this family, and afterwards became the seat of the Birdtwisells, Botteswells, and Rigbys, all long extinct. The estate became latterly the property of the Townley family. The township comprises 551 acres; the Leeds and Liverpool canal passes at its northern extremity. There is a Baptist place of worship, erected in 1817–18.
HUNCOTE, a hamlet, in the parish of Narborough, union of Blaby, hundred of Sparkenhoe, S. division of the county of Leicester, 7 miles (S. W.) from Leicester; containing 425 inhabitants. A rentcharge of £230 has been awarded as a commutation for the tithes. Here was anciently a chapel.
HUNDERSFIELD, a division, in the parish of Rochdale, partly in the union of Todmorden, but chiefly in that of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire; comprising the four townships of Blatchinworth with Calderbrook, Todmorden with Walsden, Wardleworth, and Wuerdle with Wardle; and containing 30,042 inhabitants. The original name of the division, according to Dr. Whitaker, was Honorsfield, from Honorius, a Saxon chief; but it is equally probable, from many of the belligerent appellations in this part of the parish, such as War-dell, War-land, Redditch, &c., that in early times the place was the scene of some memorable victory, and was hence called the "Field of Honour," or Honorsfield. Mention of Michael de Hunrisfield, son of Suard, lord of Hunrisfield, occurs in a deed without date, but fixed by collateral circumstances in the reign of Stephen. This extensive lordship was afterwards in possession of an ancient family named Stubley, who occupied Stubley Hall. The division is seven miles and three-quarters in length and five miles in breadth, and forming the eastern portion of the parish, is skirted on the Yorkshire side by the lofty ridges of Blackstone-Edge, Walsden-Edge, and Stony-Edge. While the ancient part of Rochdale is comprehended within the divisions of Castleton and Butterworth, the more modern and handsome part of the town extends itself into Hundersfield, of which it forms the southwest extremity. There are numerous places of worship, which are noticed in the articles on Rochdale and the townships comprehended in the division.
HUNDERTHWAITE, a township, in the parish of Romald-Kirk, union of Teesdale, wapentake of Gilling-West, N. riding of York; 5¾ miles (N. W. by W.) from the town of Barnard-Castle; containing 280 inhabitants. It is situated on the western acclivities of Teesdale, and comprises about 6299 acres, of which 4090 are open moor: the hamlets of Hurry, NewHouses, Thorngate-hill, and Wodencroft, are in the township. The tithes have been commuted for £77.
Hundleby (St. Mary)
HUNDLEBY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Spilsby, E. division of the soke of Bolingbroke, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 1 mile (N. W. by W.) from the town of Spilsby; containing 612 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, held by sequestration, and valued in the king's books at £7. 19. 4.; net income, £118; patron, Lord Willoughby de Eresby.
Hundon (All Saints)
HUNDON (All Saints), a parish, in the union and hundred of Risbridge, W. division of Suffolk, 3½ miles (N. N. W.) from Clare; containing 1095 inhabitants, and comprising by computation 4300 acres. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 13. 4.; net income, £201; patrons and impropriators, the Master and Fellows of Jesus College, Cambridge. In a building attached to the church is a noble pyramidal monument to the memory of Arethusa, daughter of Lord Clifford, and wife of James Vernon, Esq. A school was built near the church by James Vernon, who also, in 1737, gave a bequest towards its support, of which £10 per annum are a rent-charge on the property of Sir R. Harland, Bart. There is an estate of 113 acres, producing a rental of £120, for repairing the church and relieving the poor. A variety of Saxon coins, of Athelstan, Edred, and Edmund, were found in digging a grave, in 1687.
Hungerford (St. Lawrence)
HUNGERFORD (St. Lawrence), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, chiefly in the hundred of Kintbury-Eagle, county of Berks, but partly in that of Kinwardstone, S. division of Wilts; containing, with the tythings of Edington with Hidden and Newtown, Sanden-Fee, and Charnham-Street, 2724 inhabitants, of whom 1811 are in the town, 26 miles (W. by S.) from Reading, and 64 (W. by S.) from London. This place was anciently called Ingleford Charman Street, a name signifying "the ford of the Angles on the Ermin-street," a Roman road which crossed the site of the town: the adjunct is still preserved in one of its avenues, now styled Charnham-street. It stands on the road from London to Bath, partly on the declivity of a hill, and is particularly salubrious: the houses in general have a respectable appearance; the streets are partially lighted, and the inhabitants are plentifully supplied with water from wells. At the entrance into the town the river Kennet is crossed by a handsome bridge of five arches; and the Kennet and Avon canal, which passes through the town, affords a line of communication with Bath and Bristol, for the conveyance of corn, coal, and other heavy articles. An act was passed in 1845, for a railway to Reading, 25½ miles in length. There are an extensive brewery, and a tan-yard. Near the centre of the principal street is the market-house, a neat structure of brick, erected in 1787, which contains a spacious room for the transaction of public business. The market is on Wednesday; and fairs are held on the last Wednesday in April for cattle, and on the Wednesdays before and after Old Michaelmas-day, which are statute-fairs. The town is under the government of a prescriptive corporation, consisting of a bailiff, portreeve, two tythingmen, a constable, twelve burgesses, and a town-clerk. The constable, who is also coroner, and holds his office immediately under the crown, is chosen with the other officers on Hock-Tuesday, by the inhabitants, who are convened on that occasion by the sound of a brazen horn, said to have been presented to the townsmen by John of Gaunt, who granted them extensive rights of common pasture, and fishery in the Kennet. The powers of the county debt-court of Hungerford, established in 1847, extend over the registration-district of Hungerford.
The parish comprises by admeasurement 5144 acres. The benefice is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Windsor (the appropriators), valued in the king's books at £9. 13. 4.; net income, £429. The church is a handsome edifice, erected on the site of the former church, in 1814, at the extremity of a pleasant walk, shaded by lofty trees, on the western side of the town; it has an embattled tower. A window of painted glass, representing the tutelar saint, was presented by Mr. Collins, of London; and in the north aisle is a circular stone, with a brass plate, to the memory of Robert de Hungerford, who was the first of that family settled in this county. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans. A free school for boys and girls was founded in 1636, by the Rev. Dr. Sheaff, and endowed by Mr. Hamblen in 1729, and Mrs. Cummins in 1735. The poor-law union of Hungerford comprises twenty-one parishes or places, of which there are ten in each of the counties of Berks and Wilts, and one in that of Southampton, the whole containing 19,892 inhabitants. Hungerford Park, situated at the extremity of the town, was the residence of the barons of Hungerford: the present mansion stands on the site of a house built by Queen Elizabeth, and given by her to the Earl of Essex. Dr. Samuel Chandler, a learned dissenting minister and theological writer, was born here in 1693.