A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Winestead (St. German)
WINESTEAD (St. German), a parish, in the union of Patrington, S. division of the wapentake of Holderness, E. riding of York, 9 miles (E. S. E.) from Hedon; containing 139 inhabitants. The parish is nearly in the centre of the peninsula of Holderness, and consists of about 2000 acres. Two-thirds are arable, and one-third under grass, among the latter of which are interspersed above 200 acres of wood; the surface is undulated, and the soil a strong fertile clay. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12, and in the patronage of Mrs. Hildyard, of Winestead Hall; net income, £247. The church is an ancient building, surrounded by stately trees: in front of the pulpit is a monument with a recumbent figure in armour, to the memory of Sir Robert Hildyard. The celebrated Andrew Marvel, M.P. for Hull in the time of Charles II., was born here, March 31st, 1621, during the incumbency of his father.
Winfarthing (St. Mary)
WINFARTHING (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Guiltcross, hundred of Diss, E. division of Norfolk, 4¼ miles (N. by W.) from Diss; containing 696 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £12, and in the gift of the Earl of Albemarle: the glebe contains about 31 acres. The church is in the early and decorated styles, with an embattled tower. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. The poor have 82 acres of land, of which 60 were allotted at the inclosure, when 23 were also assigned to the church.
Winford-Eagle (St. Lawrence)
WINFORD-EAGLE (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Dorchester, hundred of Tollerford, Dorchester division of Dorset, 1½ mile (S. W.) from Maiden-Newton; containing 133 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1789 acres, of which 500 acres are arable, 130 woodland, and the remainder meadow and pasture; the soil is fertile, resting on gravel. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Toller-Fratrum: the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £6. 10., and the vicarial for £150. The church, erected in 1840, is a handsome structure in the later English style. On Fernham down are several barrows, in one of which seventeen urns, containing bones and ashes, have been discovered. Dr. Thomas Sydenham, the eminent physician, was born here in 1624.
Winforton (St. Mary)
WINFORTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Kington, hundred of Huntington, county of Hereford, 6 miles (N. E. by E.) from Hay; containing 178 inhabitants, and comprising 1020 acres. It is beautified by the windings of the river Wye, and is intersected by the Hay and Kington tramway. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 6. 8., and in the gift of the Rev. William Domvile: the tithes have been commuted for £255, and the glebe contains 15¾ acres. A school was endowed in 1812, by the late Mr. Freeman, with £12 per annum, and a house and garden.
Winfrith-Newburgh (St. Christopher)
WINFRITH-NEWBURGH (St. Christopher), a parish, in the union of Wareham and Purbeck, hundred of Winfrith, Wareham division of Dorset, 9 miles (W. by S.) from Wareham; containing 963 inhabitants. This is a very extensive and ancient parish, giving name to the hundred. It formerly belonged to the family of Newburgh, who had a seat here, of which there are no traces. Near the hamlet of Brome-hill, a rivulet, tributary to the Frome, is crossed by three bridges, erected in 1769, at the joint expense of Edward Weald and James Frampton, Esqrs. The living is a rectory, with the living of West Lullworth annexed, valued in the king's books at £23. 14. 4½.; net income, £440; patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. Two-thirds of the great tithes of corn, wool, and lambs, belong to the vicar of Chipping-Campden, in the county of Gloucester. The church has a fine Norman doorway and an embattled tower; the nave is covered with lead.
Wing (All Saints)
WING (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Leighton-Buzzard, hundred of Cottesloe, county of Buckingham, 2½ miles (S. W. by W.) from LeightonBuzzard; containing, with the hamlets of Ascott, Burcott, Crafton, Littleworth, and Wingberry, 1274 inhabitants, of whom 808 are in Wing township. The parish is situated near a branch of the river Ouse, and comprises 5600 acres, of which 4000 are pasture, 1520 arable, and 80 woodland. The Grand Junction canal, and the London and Birmingham railway, run along the eastern boundary of the parish, and the road from Oxford to Cambridge through the village. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £18. 16. 3.; net income, £338; patron and impropriator, Samuel Jones Loyd, Esq. The church is a remarkably fine structure, containing about 400 sittings. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; also an hospital founded in 1596 by Lady Pelham, widow of Sir William Dormer, for eight persons, and endowed by her with property producing, with a bequest from Sir William Stanhope in 1772, an income of £72. A fund of about £20 arising from bequests, with £10. 15. under the charity of Thomas Pratt, of Wingrave, is annually distributed in great-coats and other clothing. A Benedictine priory, a cell to the monastery of St. Nicholas, at Angiers, in France, was founded at Ascott by the Empress Maud, and after the suppression came to Cardinal Wolsey.
Wing (St. Peter and St. Paul)
WING (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Uppingham, hundred of Martinsley, county of Rutland, 3½ miles (N. E.) from Uppingham, near the road to Oakham; containing 302 inhabitants. It comprises 1044a. 3r. 6p.; the surface is hilly, and the soil in general a good red earth. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 5. 5., and in the gift of the Crown, with a net income of £340 per annum: there is a parsonage-house, and the glebe contains 195 acres of land.
WINGATE-GRANGE, a township and ecclesiastical district, in the union of Easington, S. division of Easington ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 1 mile (W. by S.) from Castle-Eden, and 6½ miles (E. S. E.) from Durham; the township containing 2625 inhabitants. The district was separated from the parishes of Castle-Eden and Kelloe, for ecclesiastical purposes, in 1842. It is about two miles in length, from east to west, and one mile in average breadth, comprising an area of nearly 1700 acres, of which 1200 are arable and pasture in nearly equal portions, 360 woodland and plantations, and the remainder sites of buildings, roads, and waste. The soil is generally of a clayey kind, varying in fertility: those portions of it which are naturally of inferior quality have within the last few years been greatly improved by draining and the use of lime. The substratum is chiefly magnesian limestone, which is quarried for burning into lime, and for building purposes. Coal abounds on the lands of Wingate and Wingate-Grange; on the latter, Lord Howden and others opened a mine in 1838, and, in the course of the following year, discovered a rich bed called the "Caradoc Wallsend" coal. The Wingate branch of the Hartlepool railway terminates at the colliery; and the Hartlepool, Clarence, and York and Newcastle Junction railway passes through the southern portion of the district. Since the establishment of the colliery, the village of WingateGrange, containing more than 400 houses, has been built. An iron-foundry, also, was established in 1841, near the line of the Junction railway, within the district, but from its proximity to the Trimdon colliery in the adjoining parish, it is called the Trimdon foundry. The church was built in 1840, by subscription, at an expense of £1300, of which £300 were given by the owners of the colliery; it is a neat structure in the early English style. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Bishop of Durham, with a net income of £150. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £184. 17. 11., payable to Christ's Hospital, Sherburn; and the vicarial for £43. 16. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists.
WINGATES, a township, in the parish of Long Horsley, union of Rothbury, W. division of the ward of Morpeth, N. division of Northumberland, 6 miles (S. E. by S.) from Rothbury; containing 175 inhabitants. This place was anciently part of the possessions of Gospatrick, Earl of Durham, from whom it passed to the families of Merlay, Sommerville, and Thornton; it is now the property of R. Trevelyan and H. P. M. Witham, Esqrs. The land, with the exception of that near the village, is of very indifferent quality, a poor thin soil resting upon a retentive clay, and altogether unsheltered by woods or plantations; the substratum contains ironstone, which appears to have been formerly wrought, and there are seams of coal and limestone in operation to a limited extent. The village is situated on elevated ground, and consists chiefly of two farmhouses, and some low thatched cottages extending from east to west. About a mile north of it is a mineral spring, discovered about 60 or 70 years' since, which, on being analysed, was found to contain in one pint, 6 grains of pure sal martis, 15 of alum, and 9 of ochreous earth. The late Walter Trevelyan, Esq., soon after its discovery, erected a large bath of stone, and conveyed to it the water from the spring, for the use of invalids affected with scrofula, other cutaneous eruptions, and debility, in the cure of which it was found powerfully efficacious, either when taken internally or used for bathing. The present proprietors, also, have raised plantations, and ornamented the grounds surrounding the baths, which have been inclosed; but the want of lodging-houses confines the benefits of the water to the inhabitants of the immediate neighbourhood.
WINGERWORTH, a parish, in the union of Chesterfield, hundred of Scarsdale, N. division of the county of Derby, 2¾ miles (S. by W.) from Chesterfield; containing 484 inhabitants. It comprises about 3000 acres; the surface is hilly, the soil a good loam, and large quantities of coal, ironstone, and freestone are obtained. The Midland railway passes along the eastern side of the parish. The Hall was taken possession of and garrisoned for the parliament, in 1643; the present large and elegant mansion was erected in 1728. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Bishop of Lichfield, with a total income of about £100: the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £245, and £34 are payable to the incumbent, who has 14½ acres of glebe; 30 acres belong to the impropriators. In the church are some arches and a doorway of Norman architecture; the rood-loft still remains, with a winding stone staircase leading to it. A school is partly supported by an endowment of £19 per annum. On Stonedge cliff are several basins and two seats, excavated in the rock. The brass head of a catapulta was found a few years since on the Ikeneld-street, which intersects the parish.
Wingfield (St. Andrew)
WINGFIELD (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union and hundred of Hoxne, E. division of Suffolk, 3 miles (N.) from Stradbroke; containing 668 inhabitants. Michael De la Pole, first Earl of Suffolk, in the eighth of Richard II. built a castle here, of which the south front still remains, and the west side has been converted into a farmhouse: the ruins, surrounded by a moat, are situated about a quarter of a mile north-west of the church, and are now the property of Lord Berners. A college was founded on the south side of the church by the will of Sir John Wingfield, in 1362, for a provost and nine priests; it was valued at the surrender in 1534, at £50. 3. 5½. per annum: all that remains is the west side of the quadrangle, now used as a farmhouse. The parish comprises 2442 acres, of which 87 are common or waste. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £150; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Norwich, whose tithes have been commuted for £700, and whose glebe contains about three-quarters of an acre. The church is a spacious and handsome structure, chiefly in the decorated style, with an embattled tower; the nave and chancel are lighted with clerestory windows, and there are considerable remains of stained glass. In the chancel, of which the architecture is highly enriched, are some superb monuments of the De la Poles; one to the memory of Michael, second Earl of Suffolk, one to William, Duke of Suffolk, another to his son, and one to John, Duke of Suffolk. There were formerly also monumental brasses to the ancient family of Wingfield, but they have all disappeared. John Trower, in 1515, left an estate now producing £50 per annum, for the repair of the church, and the relief of the poor.
Wingfield, North (St. Lawrence)
WINGFIELD, NORTH (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Chesterfield, hundred of Scarsdale, N. division of the county of Derby, 4½ miles (S. S. E.) from Chesterfield; containing, with the hamlet of Pilsley, and the townships of Claylane, Stretton, Tupton, and Woodford, 3144 inhabitants, of whom 250 are in North Wingfield township. The Roman Ikeneld-street may be traced in the parish. At Clay-Cross, the Midland railway is carried through a tunnel 1760 yards long, 22 feet wide, and 26 feet high, the expense of constructing which is stated to have been above £100 per lineal yard. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £21. 6. 3.; net income, £772; patron, G. H. Barrow, Esq. The church is a large handsome structure, at a distance from the village. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Wingfield, South (All Saints)
WINGFIELD, SOUTH (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Belper, hundred of Scarsdale, N. division of the county of Derby, 2¼ miles (W.) from Alfreton; containing 1188 inhabitants. It comprises 3268a. 3r. 19p. of land; and although the scenery is not so romantic as in many other parts of the county, yet from some of the high grounds the views are very extensive, and both bold and beautiful. The Amber, a small stream, runs through the parish, which is also intersected by the Derby and Chesterfield road; and the Midland railway here passes through a tunnel 250 yards in length. The manor-house, now an interesting ruin, was a splendid edifice, erected by Ralph, Lord Cromwell, in the reign of Henry VI., and afterwards, for several generations, one of the principal seats of the earls of Shrewsbury. Mary, Queen of Scots, while in the custody of George, the sixth earl, passed some months here in 1569, and was also here in Nov. and Dec. 1584. At the commencement of the civil war, it was garrisoned for the parliament, but being taken by the Earl of Newcastle, towards the close of the year 1643, was then made a royal garrison; in 1644 it surrendered to the parliamentarians, and in 1646 was dismantled. The principal part of Okerthorpe, in the parish, belongs to the ancient family of Strelley. The village is large, and possesses a considerable and increasing trade in the weaving of stockings, for which about 200 frames are in operation; there is also a small cotton-factory, and part of the population is employed in obtaining coal. The living is a discharged vicarage, endowed with a portion of the rectorial tithes, and valued in the king's books at £6. 13. 4.; net income, £324; patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The tithes of a portion of the parish were commuted for land in 1776: the glebe consists of 20a. 3r. 15p., with a vicarage-house. The church, which stands at Okerthorpe, is a neat structure with a tower. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Samuel Newton in 1683 gave £200 for charitable uses, with which some lands were purchased now producing £33 per annum; of this, £17 are applied in teaching children. £20 from an estate at Okerthorpe were directed by the donor to be applied yearly in setting up two young persons in their trade, having served seven years' apprenticeship; and £10 in exhibitions for two scholars at the university. The Roman road leading from Little Chester, near Derby, towards Chesterfield, passed through the parish.
Wingford, Cambridge.—See Wentworth.
Wingham (St. Mary)
WINGHAM (St. Mary), a parish, and formerly a market-town, in the union of Eastry, hundred of Wingham, lathe of St. Augustine, E. division of Kent, 9 miles (S. E.) from Canterbury; containing 1129 inhabitants. This place is situated on the road from Canterbury to Sandwich, in a neighbourhood abounding with genteel residences. It formerly belonged to the see of Canterbury, to which it was granted in the early part of the heptarchy; and in the 36th of Henry III., Archbishop Boniface obtained for the inhabitants the grant of a market. The archbishops had a palace here, in which they entertained several of the kings of England on their way to and from the continent. The manor was exchanged for other lands by Craumer. The parish comprises 2641 acres, of which 113 are in woodland; the soil is good, the Wingham hops being considered the best grown in the county. A horticultural society, of which Lady Bridges is patroness, was established in Aug. 1835, and is well supported. Large fairs for cattle are held on May 12th and Nov. 12th, and the pettysessions for the division take place here. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £114; patron, John Bridges, Esq.; impropriator, W. Greville, Esq., whose tithes have been commuted for £1368. The church, originally built in the early English style, contains portions, subsequently added, in the decorated and later English. A college for a provost and six canons was founded in the church in 1286, by John Peckham, archbishop; it had a gross revenue of £208. 14. 3½., and was granted by Edward VI. to Sir Henry Palmer: on or near its site, a stone coffin and some other relics of antiquity have been found. There is a place of worship for Independents. Sir James Oxenden, Bart., in 1686, founded a free school, and endowed it with £16 per annum. William de Wengham, Bishop of London, and chancellor in the reign of Henry III., was born in the parish.
Wingrave, (St. Peter and St. Paul)
WINGRAVE, (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Aylesbury, hundred of Cottesloe, county of Buckingham, 5½ miles (N. E.) from Aylesbury; containing, with the hamlet of Rowsham, 814 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 9. 7., and in the patronage of the Trustees of the Earl of Bridgewater; net income, £98; impropriator, O. Oldham, Esq. There is a place of worship for Independents. At Rowsham was formerly a chapel, dedicated to St. Lawrence. Thomas Pratt, in 1615, bequeathed property now producing a rental of £35, to be distributed among the poor of the parishes and hamlets of Wingrave, Wing, Mentmore, Cheddington, Bettlow, and Aldwick. Some property known as Bailey's House Gift, let for £17. 10. per annum, is applied to repairing the church.
WINKBOURN, a parish, in the union of Southwell, Southwell division of the wapentake of Thurgarton, S. division of the county of Nottingham, 4 miles (N.) from Southwell; containing 144 inhabitants. It anciently belonged to the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem: the town was granted to them by Adam Tyson, soon after the institution of the order; and Henry Hosatus gave the church to them, which gift was confirmed by King John. The manor, rectory, and church were conveyed by a grant of Edward VI. to William Burnell and Constance his wife, in lieu of the rectory and lands at Betchworth, in Surrey, which they had surrendered to Henry VIII.; and a spacious brick mansion, with stone facings, was erected on the site of the religious establishment, about the close of the 17th century. This is now the family residence of the proprietor of Winkbourn. The living is a donative, in the patronage of P. Pegge Burnell, Esq. The church is a large ancient edifice. A school, endowed with £30 per annum and a house and garden, was founded by William Burnell, Esq., in 1738.
Winkfield (St. Mary)
WINKFIELD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Easthampstead, hundred of Ripplesmere, county of Berks, 5½ miles (S. W. by W.) from Windsor; containing 2178 inhabitants. This parish is pleasantly situated on the road from London, through Windsor Forest, to Reading. It comprises 9878a. 18p., and contains the course on which the celebrated Ascot races are held, a beautifully smooth surface, formed by William, Duke of Cumberland, and recently much improved. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 5. 10.; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury. The great tithes have been commuted for £661, and the vicarial for £390; there is a parsonage-house, and the appropriate and vicarial glebes contain respectively 18¾ and 26½ acres. There is a place of worship for Independents. The Earl of Ranelagh, in 1710, built a chapel on Winkfield Plain, in which service is performed daily, and attached to which is a free school for twenty-two boys, and another for twenty-two girls. In 1715, Thomas Maule, Esq., bequeathed £500 to the establishment; in 1783, Thomas Hatch, who had been educated here, £500; and in 1809, John Tow left £500 four per cent, stock, in augmentation of the income, which altogether amounts to upwards of £350 per annum.
Winkfield (St. Andrew)
WINKFIELD (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union and hundred of Bradford, Westbury and N. divisions, and Trowbridge and Bradford subdivisions, of Wilts, 2 miles (W. S. W.) from Trowbridge; containing 305 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 16. 5½., and in the patronage of the Rev. John Hall aud others: the incumbent's tithes have been commuted for £255, and £20 are payable to the rector of Farleigh-Hungerford; the glebe contains 20½ acres. In the church is a monument erected by his pupils to the memory of the Rev. Edward Spencer, who was for forty-three years rector, and died in 1819, in the 80th year of his age.
Winkley, or Winckleigh (All Saints)
WINKLEY, or Winckleigh (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Torrington, N. division of Devon, 6½ miles (S. W.) from Chulmleigh; containing 1650 inhabitants. This parish forms a distinct hundred, to which it gives name. The new road from Torrington to Exeter passes through it, and the scenery is agreeably enlivened with the grounds of Winkley Court. A fair for cattle is held on the Monday after July 7th; and courts leet and baron annually. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £21. 8. 9.; net income, £215; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. There is an endowed almshouse, called Gidley's, for widows.
WINKSLEY, a chapelry, in the parish of Ripon, Lower division of the wapentake of Claro, W. riding of York, 4¾ miles (W.) from Ripon; containing 457 inhabitants. Winksley township comprises 600 acres of cultivated land, chiefly the property of Lord Grantley, who is lord of the manor. The chapelry includes also the township of Grantley: the living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £68; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Ripon. The chapel, dedicated to St. Oswald, a small ancient structure with a tower, has been enlarged.
Winlaton (St. Paul)
WINLATON (St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Gateshead, E. division of Chester ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 5 miles (W. S. W.) from Newcastle-upon-Tyne; containing 5326 inhabitants. This parish was formed out of Ryton in 1833. It comprises the townships of Winlaton and Chopwell, and consists of about 9000 acres, of which the chief part is arable, with 2000 acres of woodland; the soil is a strong clay, producing excellent crops of wheat. Considerable seams of coal are found in both townships: the principal are situated to the east, at a depth of from 20 to 50 fathoms, the strata rising towards the west, where they approach the surface. The proprietors of the mines in Winlaton township are its lords; and the lessees are, the Marquess of Bute, George Heppel Ramsay, Esq., and J. Cowen, Esq.: the mines in Chopwell belong to the marquess, who works his own coal, and to the crown, whose lands here are to the extent of 1000 acres. The coal throughout the parish is thought to be of the best kind for making coke, and its freeness from sulphur renders it valuable for smelting iron, and for smiths' use. About 100,000 tons are annually raised by the marquess and Mr. Ramsay, who have extensive cokeovens at Derwent-Haugh. There are excellent freestone quarries, and also some superior clay, great quantities of which are made into fire-bricks for furnaces and gas and other works, for which purpose Mr. Ramsay and Mr. Cowen have large premises.
The place has been long famous for its manufacture of iron and steel goods of every description, from an anchor of the largest size to the minutest article. About the year 1690, Sir Ambrose Crowley removed hither from Sunderland, and established some iron-works, to which the village, occupying an elevated site between the rivers Tyne and Derwent, owes its rise: he afterwards extended them to Swalwell and Winlaton-Mill. In the village are now several iron-factories, where anchors, chaincables, pumps, and cylinders for steam-engines, are made, as also edge-tools, nails, &c.; they employ, when in full operation, about 1000 men and boys. On the bank of the Tyne are works for refining lead, and at Blaydon is a wharf for embarking the produce. The Newcastle and Carlisle railway passes through the parish, and divides at Blaydon, one branch crossing the Tyne to Newcastle, and the other proceeding to Gateshead. There is also a magnificent suspension-bridge across the Tyne, built in 1829-30, by subscription, and connecting the counties of Durham and Northumberland.
A chapel was built in 1705, on the site of an ancient one said to have been demolished in 1569; but having been suffered to go to ruin, a spacious schoolroom was erected on the spot in 1816, in which divine service was occasionally performed by the rector of Ryton, until the church was built. The living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Bishop of Durham: the tithes have been commuted for £347, and the glebe consists of 22 acres, with a good house. The church, consecrated September 9th, 1828, is in the early English style, with a tower and pinnacles, and contains 800 sittings, of which 400 are free; it was erected at an expense of £2300, the Church Commissioners contributing one-half, the Incorporated Society £400, and the rest being raised by subscription. There are places of worship for Wesleyans, Presbyterians, Primitive Methodists, and Methodists of the New Connexion; and four parochial schools, in connexion with the National Society. Near Axwell Park, on the bank of the Derwent, the seat of Sir T. J. Clavering, Bart., is a sulphureous spring, much resorted to.
WINMARLEIGH, a township, in the parish and union of Garstang, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of Lancashire, 2 miles (N. W.) from Garstang; containing 257 inhabitants. In the reign of Henry III. lived a Gregory de Winnerlie or de Wimerlegh. In the 17th of Edward III., Robert de Plesyngton received a fine from Thomas le Gentyll and his wife and son, for a moiety of the manor of Wynmerles. William le Molyneux held lands in Winmerleghe of the manor of Wyersdale, in the 36th of the latter reign. The Radcliffes afterwards became lords of the manor by the marriage of Richard le Radcliffe with the heiress of the Plesyngtons; and the estate passed through several heirs to Anne Radcliffe, who married Sir Gilbert Gerard: by a descendant of the last-named, it is supposed to have been sold to the Pattens. The township comprises 1777 acres, all the property of John Wilson Patten, Esq., M.P. for North Lancashire. Winmarleigh Moss, here. is part of the immense bog of Pilling Moss. Some celts have been found in it; they were sold to Mr. Patten. A mansion called Mockbeggar Hall, was taken down about a century ago. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £150.