A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
WOODMANCOTE, a tything, in the parish of North Cerney, union of Winchcomb, hundred of Rapsgate, Eastern division of the county of Gloucester, 5 miles (N. by W.) from Cirencester; containing 256 inhabitants.
WOODMANCOTE, a parish, in the union of Steyning, hundred of Tipnoak, rape of Bramber, W. division of Sussex, 6 miles (N. E. by E.) from Steyning; containing 378 inhabitants. The road from London to Brighton, by way of Horsham, runs through the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 1. 10½., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £482, and the glebe comprises 18 acres. The church is principally in the early English style of architecture.
WOODMANCOTT, a hamlet, in the parish of Bishop's-Cleeve, union of Winchcomb, hundred of Cleeve, Eastern division of the county of Gloucester, 3½ miles (W. by S.) from Winchcomb; containing 372 inhabitants.
Woodmancott (St. James)
WOODMANCOTT (St. James), a parish, in the union of Basingstoke, hundred of Mainsborough, Winchester and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 8 miles (S. W.) from Basingstoke; containing 93 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1396 acres, of which 889 are arable, 338 woodland, 25 meadow, 117 open down and furze common, and 18 in homesteads; the soil is various, but chiefly a strong clay, and the surface hilly. The living is annexed to the rectory of Brown-Candover: the tithes have been commuted for £168. 10., and the glebe comprises 8 acres. The church is a neat structure; the churchyard was consecrated in 1838, previously to which the parishioners buried at Candover.
Woodmansey, with Beverley-Park
WOODMANSEY, with Beverley-Park, a township, in the parish of St. John, union, and liberties of the borough, of Beverley, E. riding of York, 2¼ miles (S. E. by E.) from Beverley; containing 429 inhabitants, of whom 222 are in Woodmansey. The township comprises 2910a. 2r. 38p., of which 386 acres are in Woodmansey, and the remainder in Beverley-Park, which extends to the suburbs of Beverley; the soil is various, and the surface well-wooded. In the hamlet of BeverleyPark are two quarries of excellent chalk, of which the best whiting is made, and which is also burnt for lime. The river Hull passes near the township, and has a commodious landing-place for coal, lime, and gravel; on its banks are some mills, and there are other large mills in the township. Beverley-Park was anciently a demesne of the archbishops of York, who had a mansion here called the Hall, now a farmhouse. Divine service is performed on Sunday afternoon in a small chapel subordinate to the Minster of Beverley, erected in 1827 upon ground given by George Sumner, Esq.
Woodmansterne (St. Peter)
WOODMANSTERNE (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Croydon, First division of the hundred of Wallington, E. division of Surrey, 5 miles (E. by S.) from Epsom; containing 269 inhabitants. This parish, also called Woodmanstone or Woodmansthorne, comprises by measurement 1553 acres, of which 1099 are arable, 196 meadow and pasture, 118 woodland, and 91 down. The surface is elevated, richly embellished ¦with wood, and enlivened with several pools of water, one of which, near the church, is named Mere Pond. In the grounds of the Oaks, at one time an inn, but converted into a hunting-seat by Gen. Burgoyne, is an old beech-tree remarkable for its boughs having grown fast to one another. Shortes House, in the parish; is a very ancient building with curiously-carved wainscoting. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 7. 6., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £301. The church is a neat edifice.
Woodnesborough (St. Mary)
WOODNESBOROUGH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Eastry, lathe of St. Augustine, E. division of Kent, 1¾ mile (W. S. W.) from Sandwich; containing 792 inhabitants. It comprises 2922 acres, of which 29 are common or waste. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10. 0. 7½., and in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Rochester: the tithes have been commuted for £350. The church is principally in the decorated English style. On Woodnesborough Hill is a lofty artificial mount, supposed by some to be either a place where the Saxon idol Woden was worshipped, or the burial-place of Vortimer; whilst others state it to be the Woodnesbeorth of the Saxon Chronicle, and the scene of the battle between Celred and Ina, kings of Mercia and the West Saxons, in 715. A fine gold coin, bearing on one side the figure of an armed warrior, and on the other that of Victory, was found here in 1514.
WOOD-NORTON, a parish, in the union of Aylsham, hundred of Eynsford, E. division of Norfolk, 7 miles (N. W.) from Reepham; containing 325 inhabitants. The living comprises the united rectories of All Saints and St. Peter, with the rectory of SwantonNovers annexed, valued in the king's books at £7. 12. 3½.; net income, £709; patrons, the Dean and Canons of Christ-Church, Oxford. The tithes of Wood-Norton have been commuted for £430, and the glebe consists of 60 acres. All Saints' church, rebuilt in 1700, is in the later English style, with a square embattled tower: on the south side of the chancel is a piscina; the font is Norman. The church of St. Peter is a ruin. At the inclosure, 20 acres were allotted to the poor.
Woodrising (St. Nicholas)
WOODRISING (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Mitford, W. division of Norfolk, 2½ miles (W. N. W.) from Hingham; containing 129 inhabitants. The manor was formerly the property of the Southwell family, of whom Sir Richard was chancellor to Edward VI., and Sir Robert secretary for Ireland in the reign of Charles II. It is now the property of John Weyland, Esq., who resides at the Hall, a handsome mansion erected on the site of the old manor-house, and surrounded by a small park. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £4. 18. 4., and in the gift of Mr. Weyland: the tithes have been commuted for £250, and the glebe comprises 17 acres, with a good house, erected in 1839. The church is an ancient structure in the decorated English style, with a tower in ruins, and covered with ivy; it contains an altar-tomb, under a canopy, with the effigy of Sir Robert Southwell.
WOODSETTS, a township, in the parish of Anston, union of Worksop, S, division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of York, 4 miles (N. W. by W.) from Worksop; containing 181 inhabitants. This township, which is situated on the confines of the county of Nottingham, comprises 838 acres, including part of Lindrick common; the lands are interspersed with wood, and the scenery is pleasing. A district church, dedicated to St. George the Martyr, and intended for Woodsetts, for the township of GildingWells, and the extra-parochial district of Walling-Wells, was erected here at an expense of £1000, by subscription, aided by a grant of £150 from the Incorporated Society, and was consecrated on the 24th Sept. 1841, by the Archbishop of York. It is a neat structure, with a campanile turret, and contains 189 sittings, of which 129 are free. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Chancellor of York Cathedral, and endowed with the tithes of Gilding-Wells (commuted for £100 per annum) by the joint liberality of the chancellor, as lessor of the tithe, and the late H. G. Knight, Esq., of Firbeck, as lessee. A school for girls is supported by subscription.
WOODSFIELD, a hamlet, in the parish of Powick, union of Upton-upon-Severn, Lower division of the hundred of Pershore, Upton and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, 5½ miles (S. S. W.) from Worcester; containing 40 inhabitants. Here are the remains of a chapel that was dependent on the church of Great Malvern.
WOODSFORD, a parish, in the union of Dorchester, hundred of Winfrith, Dorchester division of Dorset, 5½ miles (E.) from the town of Dorchester; containing 158 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the north by the river Frome, comprises 1700 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £4. 9. 9½., and in the gift of H. C. Sturt, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £250, and the glebe comprises 7 acres. The church is a small structure with a low tower. Upon the river are the remains of a castle of quadrangular form, built by Guido de Brient, one side of which has been converted into a farmhouse, a very lofty building. The principal entrance was on the west, where is still an ancient staircase, and in the southeast corner is another, both pierced with narrow apertures for arrows, or small arms. The offices on the basement are all vaulted with stone; above is an apartment called the Queen's room, with vestiges of a chapel, and around the whole are traces of a moat.
WOODSIDE, a township, in the parish of Westward, union of Wigton, Allerdale ward below Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 2 miles (N. W. by N.) from Temple-Sowerby; containing 415 inhabitants. The Eden and Eamont unite their streams here. The tithes were commuted for land in 1811.
WOODSIDE, an ecclesiastical parish, in the parishes of Addle, Guiseley, and Leeds, Upper division of the wapentake of Skyrack, W. riding of York, 4 miles (N. N. W.) from the town of Leeds. The ecclesiastical district of Woodside was formed in August 1846, under the act 6th and 7th Victoria, cap. 37; and became a parish under the provisions of that act, on the subsequent consecration of its church. It comprises 1900 acres, of which the surface is undulated and wooded; and contains some stone-quarries. There are, a silk and a woollen manufactory, some bleach-works, three tanyards, four paper-mills, and two corn-mills. The Leeds and Thirsk railway passes in the vicinity. The church is in the early decorated style, with a bell-gable, and affords accommodation to nearly 400 persons: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Crown and the Bishop of Ripon, alternately; net income, £150 per annum. The Methodists and Kilhamites have places of worship.
WOODSIDE-QUARTER, a township, in the parish and union of Wigton, ward, and E. division of the county, of Cumberland, 3 miles (E. by N.) from Wigton; containing 745 inhabitants. A school for the poor is partly supported by the interest of £3000 raised by subscription.
WOODSIDE-WARD, a township, in the parish of Elsdon, union of Rothbury, S. division of Coquetdale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 1½ mile (N.) from Elsdon; containing 124 inhabitants. It lies on both sides of the Keenship burn, and contains by measurement 6467 acres, of which about 215 are arable, 41 woodland, and the remainder pasture. Much of the scenery is romantic, and the outline of the hills is very fine. A little north of High Carricks, coal was worked in 1810, in pits about ten fathoms deep, but much interrupted by dykes; limestone, also, crosses the road from High Carricks to Headshope, on the south side of which place it breaks out in grassy knolls. There are still a few peel houses remaining, and until recently other antiquities existed, including a cairn, removed before 1810 from the High Carricks ground.
WOODSTOCK, a borough and market-town, having separate jurisdiction, and the head of a union, locally within the liberty of the city of Oxford, county of Oxford, 8 miles (N. N. W.) from Oxford, and 62 (W. N. W.) from London; containing 1412 inhabitants. This town is of Saxon origin, and was called by that people Vudestoc, signifying a woody place. It appears to have been chosen at an early period as an abode of royalty, and the manor-house, as it was called, is supposed to have been built upon the site of a Roman villa. Alfred the Great resided here whilst translating Boëthius: Ethelred held a council or parliament here, and made several of the statutes enumerated by Lambard in his collection of AngloSaxon laws; and it was a favourite residence of Henry I., who in a great measure rebuilt the place, surrounded the park with a wall, and stocked it with wild animals. In the reign of Henry II., Woodstock became celebrated as the residence of Fair Rosamond, whose romantic adventures are so interwoven with the history of that monarch: Henry here received Rhŷs, Prince of Wales, when in 1163 he came to do homage. Edmund of Woodstock, the second son of Edward I., was born here; as were also Edward the Black Prince, and Thomas of Woodstock, sons of Edward III. Henry VII. added considerably to the buildings of the palace, erecting the front and the principal gate-house. This gatehouse was for some time the place of confinement of the Princess Elizabeth, during the reign of her sister Mary: on her accession to the throne, Woodstock was occasionally selected as her residence, and the town was distinguished by her favours.
During the civil war of the 17th century, the palace was besieged and much damaged, the furniture was sold, and the building allotted by Cromwell to three of his partisans, two of whom sold their shares in 1652. The third portion, consisting of the gate-house and some adjoining buildings, was suffered to remain, and, after the Restoration, was converted into a dwelling-house by Lord Lovelace, who resided here for several years; it was, however, finally taken down by Sarah, Duchess of Marlborough, and the only indications of its site are two fine sycamore-trees in Blenheim Park. The manor continued in the crown until the reign of Queen Anne, when it was granted to the celebrated Duke of Marlborough, for whom a splendid mansion called Blenheim (which see) after the scene of one of his victories, was erected at the expense of the nation, as a recompense for his great military and diplomatic services.
The town is very pleasantly situated on an eminence, on the eastern bank of the Glyme, an expansion of which forms the lake in Blenheim Park, and which afterwards joins the Evenload in the vicinity. The streets are clean and spacious, and the houses, mostly built of stone, are generally large and handsome. Glove-making is the principal branch of trade, and although fluctuating, is carried on to a considerable extent. The manufacture of various articles of fine steel has very much decayed since the rise of Birmingham and Sheffield: those made here formerly brought very high prices, from the beauty of the workmanship and the brightness of the polish, and were remarkable as being generally manufactured of old nails of horse-shoes, formed into bars. Queen Elizabeth, among other privileges, granted a wool-staple, of which there are no remains, and a market to be held on Friday: at present the principal market-day is Tuesday. There are fairs on the Tuesday after Feb. 2nd, on April 5th, the Tuesday at Whitsuntide, Aug. 2nd, Oct. 2nd (a great mart for cheese), the Tuesday after Nov. 1st, and on Dec. 17th.
Woodstock, which had long been a borough by prescription, was incorporated in 1453, by Henry VI., whose charter was confirmed and enlarged by succeeding monarchs, the last of whom, Charles II., granted that under which the corporation now acts. The members are in number twenty-five, viz., five aldermen, from among whom a mayor is annually chosen; a high steward; and a recorder, assisted by seventeen commoncouncilmen, and a town-clerk. The borough was always privileged to send two representatives to parliament, though the right was only exercised without interruption from the 13th of Elizabeth to the 2nd of William IV., when it was deprived of one member, and the privilege of voting was extended to the £10 householders of an enlarged district, which comprises 21,712 acres: the mayor is returning officer. The corporation, as lords of the manor, hold a court leet annually. The powers of the county debt-court of Woodstock, established in 1847, extend over the registration-district of Woodstock. The town-hall is a handsome stone building, erected about the year 1766, by the Duke of Marlborough, after a design by Sir William Chambers.
Though for all civil purposes a parish, and by far the more populous, Woodstock is only a chapelry to the rectory of Bladon: a parsonage-house was erected here by Bishop Fell, in which the rector may optionally reside. The chapel, dedicated to St. Mary, was principally rebuilt in 1785, on the site of a chantry founded by King John. In the original part of the building, forming the south side, is a round-headed doorway of early Norman architecture, composed of red stone, ornamented with chevron work; and in the interior are three massive columns supporting pointed arches, with capitals having various grotesque sculptures of the human countenance. The modern portion of the structure is in a style no way corresponding with this ancient part, but it has a tower of good proportions. The Particular Baptists and Wesleyan Methodists have each a place of worship. The free grammar school was founded and endowed in 1585, by Richard Cornwall, a native of the town, and further endowed in 1616, by Thomas Fletcher, with rent-charges of £12. Eight boys and eight girls are instructed and clothed, under the benefaction of the Rev. Sir Robert Cocks, Bart., formerly rector of Bladon with Woodstock, now producing upwards of £60 per annum; part of the endowment is given as apprentice fees with the boys when leaving the school. Almshouses for six widows were built near the southern entrance of the town, in 1793, by the Duchess of Marlborough; and there are various bequests for the benefit of the poor generally, which are distributed amongst them in money, clothing, &c. In the Rolls of the reign of Henry III., mention is made of an almshouse, built near the king's manor, which Tanner thinks may be the same with the hospital of St. Mary the Virgin and St. Mary Magdalene, for which a protection was granted to beg, by patent of the first of Edward III. The union of Woodstock comprises 31 parishes or places, and contains a population of 13,390. Roman coins, especially of Constantine, are occasionally dug up within the limits of the borough; and the Akeman-street, an ancient Roman road, passes through the northern part of Blenheim Park. Chaucer, the father of English poets, lived, and is said by some to have been born, here. Woodstock gives the title of Viscount to the Duke of Portland.
Woodstone (St. Augustine)
WOODSTONE (St. Augustine), a parish, in the union of Peterborough, hundred of Norman-Cross, county of Huntingdon, ¾ of a mile (S. W. by W.) from Peterborough, containing 262 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the river Nene, and comprises 1027a. 3r. 15p., of which about 788 acres are arable, 212 pasture, and 16½ wood; the surface is level, and the soil of a light quality. The road from Peterborough to Oundle, and the Northampton and Peterborough railway, pass through. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 11. 3.; net income, £342; patron, R. J. Tompson, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents in 1809; the glebe consists of 38 acres, and there is a rectory-house. The church, a mixture of various styles, having become ruinous, was enlarged and partly rebuilt in 1844, retaining as much as possible the original character of the edifice; a portion of the old tower is preserved under an arch in the present tower, on account of its antiquity, being Saxon. The cost of restoration was £1100, besides which, a considerable sum was expended upon the chancel, not taken down, it being of later date. The churchyard is neatly laid out. John and Mary Walsham, in 1728, gave property now producing between £80 and £90 per annum, for the establishment of a school, and other charitable purposes.
WOODTHORPE, a hamlet, in the parish of Strubby, union of Louth, Wold division of the hundred of Calceworth, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln; containing 55 inhabitants. It has an old Hall; and a chapel is supposed to have anciently stood here.
Woodton (All Saints)
WOODTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Loddon and Clavering, hundred of Loddon, E. division of Norfolk, 5 miles (N. W.) from Bungay; containing 567 inhabitants. It comprises 2124a. 3r. 16p., of which 1583 acres are arable, and 541 meadow and pasture. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 13. 4., and in the gift of the Rev. A. Suckling: the tithes have been commuted for £615, and the glebe comprises 27 acres, with a house. The church is chiefly in the decorated English style, with a circular tower of earlier date, surmounted by an octagonal turret, and has some handsome monuments to the Suckling family. There are places of worship for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists.
WOODVILLE, an ecclesiastical district, in the union of Ashby-de-la-Zouch, partly in the parish of Ashbyde-la-Zouch, hundred of West Goscote, county of Leicester, and partly in the parish of Hartshorn, hundred of Repton and Gresley, county of Derby, 3½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Ashby; containing about 700 inhabitants. Woodville is a modern village, until lately called Wooden-Box. About thirty-three years ago, a person appointed to take the toll at a side gate on the road from Ashby to Burton-on-Trent, was sheltered from the weather by a common watch-box, there being at the time no houses in the neighbourhood; and when the earthenware manufactories of Gresley and Swadlincote were extended to the place, it obtained the name of Wooden-Box, which was changed in 1845 for its present more euphonious name of Woodville. The houses are on each side of the high road; those on the left side are in the parish of Ashby, and the houses on the right in Hartshorn parish. The inhabitants are partly colliers, but chiefly potters, the immediate vicinity containing a bed of fine clay, which is extensively used for earthenware and fire-bricks. Petty-sessions are held once a fortnight at the Potters' Arms inn. The first stone of the church, dedicated to St. Stephen, was laid in Nov. 1845, by Earl Howe; the edifice is in the Norman style, and built of durable stone quarried near its site. The living is in the patronage of the Bishop of Peterborough. The Wesleyans have a small place of worship.
Wood-Walton.—See Walton, Wood.
WOODYATES, WEST, an extra-parochial liberty, in the union of Wimborne and Cranborne, hundred of Wimborne St. Giles, Wimborne division of Dorset, 5½ miles (N. N. W.) from Cranborne; containing 14 inhabitants. It comprises 840 acres of land. On the neighbouring downs are numerous barrows, also a vast rampart and fosse, termed Grimesditch, crossed by the Roman road from Dorchester to Old Sarum.