A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Ripe, or Eckington (St. John the Baptist)
RIPE, or Eckington (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of West Firle, hundred of Shiplake, rape of Pevensey, E. division of Sussex, 10 miles (S. S. E.) from Uckfield; containing 375 inhabitants. It comprises by admeasurement 1770 acres, of which 835 are arable, 679 meadow and pasture, and a considerable portion of the rest woodland. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 10., and in the gift of Exter College, Oxford: the tithes have been commuted for £470, and the glebe comprises 33 acres. The church is a handsome structure, partly in the early and partly in the decorated English style, with an embattled tower; the east window is ornamented with stained glass collected from the other windows of the edifice. Here is a powerful chalybeate spring.
RIPLEY, a chapelry, in the parish of Pentrich, union of Belper, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, S. division of the county of Derby, 3¾ miles (S. by W.) from Alfreton, on the road to Derby; containing 2515 inhabitants. Ripley is an improving place, lighted with gas. A market was chartered about the reign of Henry III.; it was formerly on Wednesday, and is now held by consent on Saturday: fairs are held on the Wednesday in Easter-week and the 23rd October, and a statute-fair for hiring servants on the 5th November. There is a mill for manufacturing a particular kind of candlewick and for stay-laces. At Hartshay are extensive collieries; and the Cromford canal passes the northern verge of the chapelry, near that place: many of the inhabitants find employment at the Butterley iron-works. The township comprises 2212 acres of good land. The living is a perpetual curacy, endowed by grants, and by private donations from the Duke of Devonshire (who is patron) and the Rev. J. Wood: income, about £110. The chapel, dedicated to All Saints, is a neat structure, erected in 1820, at a cost of £1300, of which the Incorporated Society gave £375, the patron £210, and the Rev. J. Wood £100. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Unitarians; and a national school, built in 1820 by private subscription aided by a grant from the National Society. An urn containing a number of coins of Gallienus, Carausius, Victorinus, and others, was discovered here in 1730.
RIPLEY, a chapelry, in the parish of Send, union of Guildford, Second division of the hundred of Woking, W. division of Surrey, 6 miles (N. E.) from Guildford; containing 851 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from London to Portsmouth, by Kingston; and is a post-town, consisting principally of a long wide street. On its north side is a pleasant common, which, when the other commons of the parish were inclosed, under an act passed in 1803, was left open for the general recreation of the inhabitants; cricket-matches are frequently played here, and they formerly attracted much company. The common is bordered on the west by the respectable residence of Dunsborough, whose grounds are partly bounded by a tributary of the river Wey. The chapel, which appears to have been founded about the end of the 12th century, is, in a record of the time of Edward II., called the oratory of Ripelia or Ripellee; and in the 2nd of Edward VI. seems to have been regarded as a chantry chapel. The present chapel was consecrated in November 1846, and cost £1638. There is a place of worship for Baptists. George Ripley, the famous alchymist, and a Carmelite friar, whose works were printed at Cassel in 1549, is stated to have been born here.
Ripley (All Saints)
RIPLEY (All Saints), a parish, and formerly a market-town, partly in the Upper, but chiefly in the Lower, division of the wapentake of Claro, W. riding of York; containing, with the townships of Clint and Killinghall, 1235 inhabitants, of whom 283 are in Ripley township, 23 miles (W. by N.) from York. This place was anciently the property of the Ripley family, by marriage with whose heiress, about the latter part of the fourteenth century, it was conveyed to Sir Thomas Ingilby, whose descendant, William, was created a baronet in 1642: the title, becoming extinct, was revived in 1781, and has passed to Sir William Amcots Ingilby, the present owner of the estate. During the parliamentary war, Ripley Castle was visited after the battle of Marston-Moor by Oliver Cromwell, who passed one night here; it was originally built in 1555, and having been much enlarged and improved during the present century, is a handsome castellated mansion, finely situated in a demesne tastefully laid out. The town or village, which is on the road from Leeds to Newcastle, occupies rising ground, about half a mile north from the river Nidd, and consists of one broad street; the old houses have been taken down, and replaced by others of stone, at the expense of Sir W. A. Ingilby. Fairs are held on Easter Monday and Tuesday, and August 26th, principally for horses, sheep, and cattle. The parish comprises 7260a. 2r. 20p.: the soil about Ripley is good, but rather moory in the township of Clint; the surface is varied, and the higher grounds command some fine views.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £23. 8. 9.; net income, £666; patron, Sir W. A. Ingilby. The tithes of Ripley township have been commuted for £143, and the glebe consists of 57 acres. The church, an ancient and spacious cruciform structure, contains some handsome monuments of the Ingilby family, among which is one to the memory of Sir Thomas de Ingilby, justice of the common pleas in the time of Edward III.; in the churchyard is a curious pedestal of a cross, with eight niches apparently intended for kneeling. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans, built in 1847. A free school was established and endowed in 1702, by Mary and Catherine Ingilby; the income is about £120 a year: the school-house was rebuilt in 1830. The school at Burnt Yates was founded by Admiral Long, in 1760, and endowed with property which, with some small additions subsequently made to it, now produces £200 per annum. There are also charitable endowments to the amount of about £40 a year, the principal of which are Lord Craven's and Mrs. Hardy's. Near the town is a spring, accounted beneficial for weakness in the eyes.
RIPLINGHAM, a hamlet, in the parish of Rowley, union of Beverley, Hunsley-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York, 2 miles (E. by N.) from South Cave; containing 149 inhabitants. The village is pleasantly situated on the road between Hull and South Cave: petty-sessions are held in it weekly.
RIPLINGTON, a township, in the parish of Whalton, union and W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 7½ miles (W. S. W.) from the town of Morpeth; containing 30 inhabitants. In 1560 Queen Elizabeth had a moiety of the lands, and since that date property has been held here by the families of Heron, Grey, Cook, and Teasdale. The township comprises 377 acres, and is on the western verge of Castle ward: the hamlet stands on a sweep of the ridge upon which Whalton is situated. A small modus is paid in lieu of tithes.
RIPLINGTON, a tything, in the parish and hundred of East Meon, union of Petersfield, Petersfield and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 6 miles (W. by N.) from Petersfield; with 86 inhabitants.
Ripon (St. Peter and St. Wilfrid)
RIPON (St. Peter and St. Wilfrid), a city and parish, partly in the liberty of Ripon, and partly in the Lower division of the wapentake of Claro, W. riding of York; containing 15,024 inhabitants, of whom 5461 are in the town, 23 miles (N. W. by W.) from York, and 212 (N. N. W.) from London. This place, which is of considerable antiquity, is supposed to derive its name from the Latin Ripa, on account of its situation upon the bank of a river. The earliest record we find respecting it is of about the middle of the seventh century, when a monastery was founded here by Eata, abbot of Melrose in Scotland, which was subsequently given by Alfred, King of Northumbria, to Wilfrid, Archbishop of York, by whom it was greatly improved, and its church solemnly dedicated. The town at that time consisted of 30 houses; it soon began to increase in extent, and, under the fostering patronage of the monks, grew into distinction. In the ninth century it was plundered and burnt by the Danes, when so complete was the devastation, that only the remaining ruins denoted its former existence; but it regained its importance with such celerity as to be incorporated a royal borough by Alfred the Great, in 886. This prosperity did not, however, long continue. The town shared in the destruction which Edred, in suppressing the insurrections of the Northumbrian Danes, carried through that province; and it had scarcely recovered from this devastation when it suffered from the unrelenting vengeance of William the Conqueror, who, after defeating the Northumbrian rebels, in 1069, laid waste the country, and so effectually demolished this town, that it remained for some time in ruins, and at the period of the Norman survey was still desolate. The monastery, after its destruction by Edred, was rebuilt, chiefly by Oswald and his successors, archbishops of York, and was endowed and made collegiate by Archbishop Aldred.
Profiting by a period of comparative tranquillity, Ripon had again begun to revive, when it was once more exposed to the ravages of war by the progress of the Scots, under Robert Bruce, who, after exacting from the wretched inhabitants all that could be wrung from them, destroyed the town by fire. Aided, however, by donations from the Archbishop of York and the neighbouring gentry, and by the industry of the remaining inhabitants, it so rapidly recovered as to be selected by Henry IV. for the residence of his court, when driven from London by the plague. A similar calamity induced the lord president of York to remove his court hither in 1604. In 1617, James I. passed a night here on his route from Scotland to London, and was presented by the mayor with a gilt bowl and a pair of Ripon spurs; and the town was also visited by his unfortunate successor, Charles I., in 1633. In the civil war it was taken possession of and held for the parliament, by the troops under the command of Sir Thomas Mauleverer, who defaced and injured many of the monuments and ornamental parts of the church; but they were at length driven from the town by a detachment of the king's cavalry, under Sir John Mallory, of Studley.
Ripon is situated between the rivers Ure and Skell, over the former of which is a handsome stone bridge of seventeen arches, forming a commodious approach to the town from the north. The streets are narrow and irregular, but the houses, which are chiefly of brick, are, with a few exceptions, well built; the town is paved, lighted with gas, and plentifully supplied with water. The theatre, built in 1792, has for many years been converted into a riding-school. The public rooms at Low Skellgate, erected in 1834, at an expense of nearly £3000, by a proprietary of two hundred, contain a spacious and elegant assembly-room, which is occasionally used for public meetings; a subscription library and newsroom; a mechanics' institute, established in 1831; a dispensary, and various other accommodations, the whole forming a handsome pile, with extensive gardens. The races, which had been long discontinued, were revived in 1837. The surrounding scenery is enriched with the grounds of Studley Park and the magnificent ruins of Fountains Abbey, which are described under the head of Studley-Royal.
The river Ure was made navigable as far as Ripon, by an act passed in 1767; and a second act obtained in 1820, incorporated the proprietors by the style of "The Company of Proprietors of the River Ure Navigation to Ripon:" barges of from 25 to 30 tons' burthen are employed in bringing coal and merchandise of various kinds from Hull, York, and other places, to the town, and are laden in return with lead, butter, &c. An act was passed in 1845 for a railway from Leeds, by Ripley and Ripon, to Thirsk. The place was formerly celebrated for its manufacture of spurs and woollen-cloths, but its present trade is somewhat limited; linen is manufactured to an inconsiderable extent, and during the season there is a weekly market for wool, much resorted to by the manufacturers from Leeds, Halifax, &c. The regular market is on Thursday: in the market-place, a spacious and well-built square, is an obelisk 90 feet in height, erected in 1781 by William Aislabie, Esq., on the top of which are a bugle-horn and a spur-rowel, the arms of Ripon. Fairs are held on the first Thursday after the 20th day after Old Christmas-day, on May 13th and 14th, the first Thursday and Friday in June, the Thursday after August 2nd, the 1st Thursday in November, and November 23rd, for cattle and various kinds of merchandise.
The town, which is a borough by prescription, received charters from James I. and II. The corporation now consists of a mayor, 4 aldermen, and 12 councillors, under the act 5th and 6th of William IV., cap. 76; and the municipal limits have been made co-extensive with those for parliamentary purposes, including a district of 1549 acres. The mayor and late mayor are justices of the peace. Ripon first sent members to parliament in the 23rd of Edward I.; the privilege was discontinued in the reign of his successor, and was not revived till the time of Edward VI., since which it has been exercised without interruption: the mayor is returning officer. A court military, for the recovery of debts to any amount, the officers of which are appointed by the lord-lieutenant of the West riding, has jurisdiction within the borough and liberty of Ripon, the latter of which comprises the greater part of the parish of Ripon, and the whole of Nidd with Killinghall. Justices of the peace for the liberty are chosen by the lord-lieutenant, and in conjunction with the recorder they hold sessions for the liberty; petty-sessions take place every Friday under the magistrates for the borough and liberty, and occasionally for the North and West ridings of the county. The powers of the county debt-court of Ripon, established in 1847, extend over the registration-districts of Ripon and Pateley-Bridge. The building formerly used as the town-hall, erected in 1801 at the expense of Mrs. Allanson, of Studley, is a lofty, spacious, and handsome structure of freestone, with a portico of the Ionic order; it has not been used by the corporation since the passing of the Municipal Corporations' act. There are a criminal court and a prison in connexion with the liberty.
The collegiate establishment, which, at the dissolution of monasteries, possessed seven prebends and thirteen chantries, was refounded in 1604 by James I., who appointed a dean and six prebendaries, with a subdean, and endowed it with £247 per annum. By the act 6th and 7th of William IV., cap. 77, Ripon was made the head of a diocese consisting of that part of the county of York which was previously in the diocese of Chester, and of a large part of the county previously in the diocese of York. It comprehends the archdeaconries of Richmond and Craven, with 374 benefices. The establishment consists of a bishop, dean, sub-dean, six canons, and two minor canons, with inferior officers; the bishop has an income of £4500, and the Dean and Chapter, who hold the patronage of the minor canonries, possess a net revenue of £633. The dean and chapter have a prison, and are authorised, by charter of James I., to hold a court of pleas, called the Canon Fee Court, in which they appoint their own officers, the charter stating that such authority had long appertained to them. The ancient collegiate church, now the cathedral of the diocese, is a large cruciform building. It has two square towers at the western end, each 110 feet high, embattled, and surmounted with pinnacles; and in the centre is another square tower, standing upon four pillars with arches, and ornamented with a cupola on its north-western angle. On each of these towers was formerly a spire, those on the towers at the western end being 120 feet in height, and that on the central tower still higher; but the latter having been blown down in 1660, causing considerable damage to the roof, the others were removed. On the south side of the choir is the chapter-house, over which is the library, containing a good collection of ancient works, and portraits of many of the kings and queens of England. Under the nave of the cathedral is a chapel, in which is a place called St. Wilfrid's Needle, said by tradition to have been used for the trial of female chastity. The bishop's throne and the stalls are ornamented with carved work, and the magnificent east window, which is 51 feet by 25, contains the arms of James I., those of England and France, of the dean and chapter, and of the town; there are also many beautiful and curious monuments in the cathedral. The episcopal palace, erected at Bramley Grange, near the city, is a handsome structure, situated in a demesne of about 110 acres.
The parish comprises the townships of Aldfield, Aismunderby with Bondgate, Bewerley, Bishopside, Bishopton, Clotherholme, Dacre, Eavestone, Givendale, Grantley, Hewick-Bridge, Hewick-Copt, Ingerthorpe, Lindrick, Markington with Wallerthwaite, Bishop-Monkton, Newby with Mulwith, Nunwick, Ripon, Sawley, Sharrow, Skelding, Skelton, North Stainley with Sleningford, Studley-Roger, Studley-Royal, Sutton-Grange, Bishop-Thornton, Warsill, Westwick, Whitcliffe with Thorp, and Winksley. The tithes of Ripon township have been commuted for £390. A church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was erected by the Rev. Edward Kilvington in 1827, at an expense of about £13,000, of which £10,000 had been bequeathed for the purpose by Dr. Kilvington, of Ripon. It is a handsome cruciform structure of freestone, with lancet windows, a richlygroined roof, and a tower surmounted by a beautiful spire; and contains between 900 and 1000 sittings, whereof 200 are free. The fixed endowment is about £24 per annum, with two cottages and three or four acres of land; the income is derived mainly from the letting of pews, and is altogether about £200: the patronage is vested in the Rev. Charles Simeon's Trustees. In the rural parts of the parish are eleven other incumbencies, nine of which are in the gift of the Dean and Chapter. There are two places of worship in the town for Wesleyans, and one each for Independents and Primitive Methodists. The Free Grammar school was founded and liberally endowed by Philip and Mary, in 1553; the management is vested in trustees, by whom the master and usher are appointed, the former with a salary of £240, and the latter with one of £90. Jepson's Hospital was established and endowed by Zacharias Jepson, in 1672, for boarding and educating twenty sons of freemen, or orphans; the income is about £190 per annum. The hospital of St. Mary Magdalene, situated in Stammergate, was founded and endowed by Thurstan, Archbishop of York, early in the twelfth century, and rebuilt by Dr. Hooke, prebendary of Ripon, and master of the hospital, in 1674; it affords an asylum to six widows, and a chapel adjoins the hospital, in which divine service is performed on certain days. The hospital of St. John the Baptist was instituted by an archbishop of York, probably so early as the reign of King John, and is a small building, in which two women are lodged: that of St. Anne, in Agnes' Gate, was founded in the reign of Edward IV., by one of the family of Neville, and affords an asylum to eight women. At the eastern end of the town is a curious relic of antiquity, called Alla or Ailo's Hill, a tumulus in the form of a cone, composed of sand, gravel, and human bones, and supposed to derive its name from Ælla, King of Northumbria, who was slain in 867, fighting against the Danes; the circumference of the hill, at the base, is about 3000 yards, and the height of the slope about 74 yards. The town was the birthplace of Dr. Beilby Porteus, Bishop of London. The Right Hon. Fred. John Robinson, Viscount Goderich, was created Earl of Ripon in 1833.
Rippingale (St. Andrew)
RIPPINGALE (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Bourne, wapentake of Aveland, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 4 miles (S. S. E.) from Falkingham; containing 694 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from London to Lincoln, and comprises nearly 4000 acres, of which about 2400 are pasture, and 40 woodland. The surface on the western side of the road is diversified with hill and dale, and agreeably interspersed with wood; on the eastern side it slopes gradually in the direction of the sea, and at length becomes flat. The living is a rectory in three parts, consolidated in 1725; two parts are valued in the king's books at £14. 7. 1., and the third at £7. 3. 9.: net income, £895; patron, Sir G. Heathcote. The tithes were commuted for land in 1803. The church is a large structure with a tower, and contains several fine tombs, much mutilated, the principal of which consists of three full-length figures of the Marmion family; on the floor of the chancel is a well-preserved figure of a Knight-Templar in chainarmour, and under a decorated arch in the south wall is a stone figure of a lady abbess.
Ripple (St. Mary)
RIPPLE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Eastry, hundred of Cornilo, lathe of St. Augustine, E. division of Kent, 2¾ miles (S. W. by W.) from Deal; containing 189 inhabitants. The parish comprises by admeasurement 1134 acres; the surface is undulated, and the soil chiefly clay and chalk. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 19. 4½., and in the gift of the Rev. A. B. Mesham, and C. F. Palmer, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £260, and the glebe contains about 10 acres, with a house. The church is in the early English style: in the churchyard are two fine yew-trees. Near the church is a military work, thrown up by Cæsar in his route from the sea to his principal camp on Barham Down; and in another part of the parish is a small oblong intrenchment, inclosing several small mounds.
Ripple (St. Mary)
RIPPLE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Upton, partly in the Lower division of the hundred of Pershore, but chiefly in the Lower division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Upton and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, 4 miles (N. by W.) from Tewkesbury; containing, with the hamlet of Holdfast and the chapelry of Queenhill, 993 inhabitants, of whom 869 are in Ripple hamlet. The parish is situated on the road from Bristol to Birmingham, and on the river Severn: it comprises by admeasurement about 2500 acres. Limestone is quarried for building and for the construction of drains. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £42. 6. 4.; net income, £1040; patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The tithes were commuted for land and money payments in 1801 and 1812, under inclosure acts; the glebe altogether contains about 580 acres. The church, a handsome structure, was beautified, and its tower raised, towards the close of the last century. At Queenhill is a chapel of ease. There are four almshouses for poor women, who are nominated by the lady of the manor; and some bequests, now producing £120 a year, are appropriated to parochial purposes. A monastery existed at Ripple so early as the year 770, in Bishop Mildred's time; it was granted to the church of Worcester, by Duke Ælfred, about the commencement of the ninth century. Some ancient pottery was discovered at Bow farm in 1838, and it is supposed that here was a station of the Romans, for the manufacture of sepulchral and other pottery from the clay found near the spot. From Bow bridge, which crosses a stream dividing Worcestershire and Gloucestershire, extends a Roman road to near Tewkesbury.
RIPPONDEN, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Halifax, wapentake of Morley, W. riding of York, 5¾ miles (S. W.) from Halifax; containing 7417 inhabitants. This place, originally called Rybournden from its situation on the Rybourne, an inconsiderable stream which intersects the village, and, after long-continued rains, frequently overflows its banks, suffered greatly from an inundation in the year 1722. On the afternoon of the 18th of May, the waters in the valley suddenly rose to a height of 20 feet, bearing down in their course the mills and bridges on the river, sweeping away several houses in the village, destroying part of the chapel, and laying open the graves in its cemetery; twelve persons lost their lives, eight of whom were members of the same family. The chapelry comprises 13,070 acres, principally meadow and pasture land; the surface is diversified with hill and dale, and the scenery in many parts is very beautiful. The substratum is chiefly sandstone, of which there are quarries in operation. The village is situated on the road from Manchester to Rochdale, and on the eastern side of Blackstone Edge; the Rybourne flows under two bridges of stone close by the chapelyard, and falls into the Calder at Sowerby-Bridge. The present chapel, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, was erected partly by a brief, and partly by subscription, in 1737, to replace the ancient structure, which had been injured by the flood; it is of the Tuscan order, with a tower, and the cemetery is inclosed by a very fine hedge of yew, cut into semicircular arches. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Halifax; net income, £150, with a good parsonage-house, of which the older portion was built by the Rev. John Watson, a distinguished antiquary, during his incumbency. On Ripponden bank is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Ripton, Abbott's (St. Andrew)
RIPTON, ABBOTT'S (St. Andrew), a parish, in the hundred of Hurstingstone, union and county of Huntingdon, 5 miles (N.) from Huntingdon; containing 344 inhabitants, and comprising by computation 4000 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £21. 7. 6.; net income, £457; patron, John Bonfoy Rooper, Esq. The glebe contains about 70 acres, with a house. There is a chapel of ease at Wennington, in the parish.
Ripton, King's (St. Peter)
RIPTON, KING'S (St. Peter), a parish, in the hundred of Hurstingstone, union and county of Huntingdon, 3½ miles (N. E. by N.) from the town of Huntingdon; containing 229 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 19. 7., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £179.
Risborough, Monks' (St. Dunstan)
RISBOROUGH, MONKS' (St. Dunstan), a parish, in the union of Wycombe, hundred of Aylesbury, county of Buckingham, 1 mile (N. by E.) from Prince'sRisborough; containing 1083 inhabitants, and comprising 2872a. 2r. 19p. The living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury, valued in the king's books at £30, and having a net income of £353: the tithes, excepting those on woods, were commuted for land and a money payment in 1830. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. £100 bequeathed by the Rev. Dr. Hody in 1706, and £150 by the Rev. Dr. Quarles in 1727, are invested in land producing £32 per annum, chiefly appropriated to apprenticing children. A great cross called White Leaf Cross, cut on the side of the chalk hills near the village, is supposed to be a memorial of some victory obtained by the Saxons over the Danes.
Risborough, Prince's (St. Mary)
RISBOROUGH, PRINCE'S (St. Mary), a markettown and parish, in the union of Wycombe, hundred of Aylesbury, county of Buckingham, 6 miles (W. by N.) from Great Missenden, and 37 (W. N. W.) from London; containing 2206 inhabitants, of whom 926 are in the town. This place, which is situated at the foot of the Chiltern hills, and on the road from West Wycombe to Aylesbury, derives its distinguishing appellation from having been the residence of Edward the Black Prince, whose palace is supposed to have stood on a spacious area surrounded by a moat, now dry, in a field adjoining the churchyard. The manor was at an early period given by the crown to Richard, Earl of Cornwall and King of the Romans, who died in 1272: at a later date it was assigned to Katherine, queen of Henry V., for her dower; and in 1637 was sold by Charles I. to certain citizens of London. The parish comprises 4670a. 2r. 24p., of which about 425 acres are meadow and pasture, 413 woodland, and the rest arable. The town is abundantly supplied with water from wells. There is a small theatre. The market, which is on Thursday, was established by charter of Henry III., who also granted to the inhabitants exemption from attendance at assizes, sessions, &c.; it is a pitched market for corn, and pigs and sheep are also sold. There is a fair for cattle on May 6th. The market-house, a small brick edifice, was built in 1824. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £145; patron, the Duke of Rutland: the tithes, with the exception of those on certain woods, were commuted for land and a money payment in 1820. The church is an ancient structure with a neat spire, and contains some monuments of crusaders or Knights Templars, and other interesting relics. A church, dedicated to St. John, was completed at Lacey-Green in 1825. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans.
RISBRIDGE, MONKS', an extra-parochial liberty, in the union and hundred of Risbridge, W. division of Suffolk, 4¾ miles (N. W.) from Clare; containing 10 inhabitants, and comprising 120 acres. This place gives name to the hundred, and to the poor-law union of Risbridge, which comprises 26 parishes or places, whereof 21 are in Suffolk, and 5 in Essex, the whole containing a population of 17,440.
RISBURY, a township, partly in the parish of Humber, and partly in that of Stoke-Prior, union of Leominster, hundred of Wolphy, county of Hereford, 4¾ miles (S. E. by E.) from Leominster; containing 252 inhabitants. Here are the remains of a Danish camp, inclosing an area of about 30 acres.
Risby (St. Bartholomew)
RISBY (St. Bartholomew), with Roxby, a parish, in the union of Glandford-Brigg, N. division of the wapentake of Manley, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 8 miles (N. W. by N.) from the town of Glandford-Brigg; containing 339 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, united in 1717 to that of Roxby, and valued in the king's books at £5. 6. 8.
Risby (St. Giles)
RISBY (St. Giles), a parish, in the union and hundred of Thingoe, W. division of Suffolk, 4 miles (N. W. by W.) from Bury; containing 360 inhabitants, and comprising 2734a. 1r. 30p. The living is a rectory, with that of Fornham St. Geneveve united, valued in the king's books at £19. 10. 5., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £600, and there are 21 acres of glebe. The church has a round tower and other marks of antiquity.