A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
ROMSLEY, a liberty,in the parish of Alveley, union of Bridgnorth, S. division of Salop, 8 miles (S. E.) from Bridgnorth; containing 110 inhabitants. This place was until lately part of the borough of Bridgnorth, but being detached from the main portion of it, was separated by a special act of parliament, and is now under the county jurisdiction.
ROMSLEY, a township, in the chapelry of St. Kenelm, parish of Hales-Owen, union of Bromsgrove, Upper division of the hundred of Halfshire, HalesOwen and E. divisions of Worcestershire; containing 413 inhabitants.
Ronton (All Saints)
RONTON (All Saints), a parish, in the S. division of the hundred of Pirehill, union, and N. division of the county, of Stafford, 4 miles (S. by E.) from Eccleshall; containing 292 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage; net income, £93; patron, the Earl of Lichfield, who, with Francis Eld, Esq., is impropriator.
RONTON-ABBEY, an extra-parochial liberty, in the S. division of the hundred of Pirehill, N. division of the county of Stafford, 3½ miles (S. by E.) from Eccleshall; containing 28 inhabitants, and comprising 738 acres of land. A priory of Black canons, subordinate to the abbey of Haughmond, in Shropshire, was founded in the reign of Henry II., by Robert Fitz-Noel, in honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary: at the Dissolution it had a revenue valued at £102. 11. 1. per annum. The tower and a small portion of the cloisters still remain, with the moat that inclosed the grounds, comprising 30 acres. In the immediate vicinity, is a neat shooting-box belonging to the Earl of Lichfield.
ROOKWITH, a township, in the parish of Thornton-Watlass, union of Leyburn, wapentake of HangEast, N. riding of York, 4¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Bedale; containing 91 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1240 acres of land, the manor and property of the Marquess of Ailesbury. The village is in a picturesque dell, on the north side of the vale of the river Ure.
Roos (All Saints)
ROOS (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Patrington, Middle division of the wapentake of Holderness, E. riding of York, 5 miles (N. by W.) from Patrington; containing, with part of the township of Owstwick, 640 inhabitants. The parish comprises by measurement 2324 acres, of which two-thirds are arable and one-third pasture; the surface is undulated, and the soil a clayey loam, with gravel. The manor was from the reign of Henry I. the seat and property of the noble family of Roos, one of whose barons had the glory of leading the second division of the English army at the battle of Cressy. The site is still visible of the castle of the former barons; and in part of the old moat have been lately found a misericorde dagger and some amber beads. The place confers the original title on the present family of De Ros. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19, and in the patronage of the Rev. Christopher Sykes, with a net income of £602: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1783. The church is chiefly in the early rectilinear style, but there is one fine curvilinear window in the north side of the chancel; the aisles were rebuilt, and the interior generally repaired and refitted, in 1842, at the expense of the rector. There are places of worship for Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans.
ROOSDOWN, an extra-parochial liberty, locally in the parish, union, and hundred of Axminster, Honiton and S. divisions of Devon, 3¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Lyme-Regis; containing 5 inhabitants. This place, which was formerly a parish, was anciently called Ralphdown, from its owner, Ralph de Downe, in the reign of Henry II. The liberty comprises 254 acres. It still has an incumbency, a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £2. 10. 10.; net income, £35; patron, R. Bartlett, Esq. The church is dilapidated.
Roothing, Abbess (St. Edmund)
ROOTHING, ABBESS (St. Edmund), a parish, in the union of Ongar, partly in the hundred of Dunmow, N. division, but chiefly in that of Ongar, S. division, of Essex, 6 miles (N. by E.) from Ongar; containing, with the hamlet of Barwick, 254 inhabitants. The parish derives its name, in common with many other parishes, from the river Roden passing through it, and the affix to its name from the appropriation of its church and manor to the abbey of Barking, over which an abbess presided. It comprises by measurement 1620 acres, of which 1271 are arable, 229 meadow, 75 woodland, and 26 rough pasture and waste; the soil is wet and heavy, but under proper management produces good crops. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 10.; net income, £323; patron and incumbent, the Rev. Thomas Dyer. The church contains an ancient font of lead, on a pedestal of stone; and handsome monuments to Sir Gamaliel Capel and his daughter, Lady Lukyn. There is a meeting-house for Independents. Thurlow, secretary to Oliver Cromwell, was born in the parish, of which his father was rector.
Roothing, Aythorpe (St. Mary)
ROOTHING, AYTHORPE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Dunmow, N. division of Essex, 5½ miles (S. W. by S.) from the town of Dunmow; containing 285 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12; present net income, £279; patron, J. Hubbard, Esq.
Roothing, Beauchamp (St. Botolph)
ROOTHING, BEAUCHAMP (St. Botolph), a parish, in the union and hundred of Ongar, S. division of the county of Essex, 4¼ miles (N. N. E.) from Ongar; containing 246 inhabitants. The parish takes the affix to its name from William Beauchamp, proprietor of the manor in 1262. The soil is fertile, and in good cultivation; and the village is pleasantly situated on elevated ground. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £16. 13. 4., and in the gift of the Rev. Jonathan T. Barrett, D.D.: the tithes have been commuted for £270, and the glebe comprises 38½ acres.
ROOTHING, BERNERS, a parish, in the union of Ongar, hundred of Dunmow, N. division of Essex, 5¾ miles (N. E. by N.) from Ongar; containing 103 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its distinguishing affix from Hugh de Berners, to whom the manor at one time belonged, comprises 1038a. 12p., whereof 841 acres are arable, 162 pasture, and 34 woodland. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £63; patron, T. W. Bramston, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £224. 14.
Roothing, High (All Saints)
ROOTHING, HIGH (All Saints), a parish, in the union and hundred of Dunmow, N. division of the county of Essex, 4½ miles (S. W. by S.) from Dunmow; containing 446 inhabitants. The parish takes the prefix to its name from its situation higher up the river Roden than the other places called Roothing. There are several ancient mansions. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £20, and in the gift of the Earl of Roden: the tithes have been commuted for £487, and the glebe comprises 25 acres.
ROOTHING, LEADEN, a parish, in the union and hundred of Dunmow, N. division of Essex, 6½ miles (S. S. W.) from Dunmow; containing 171 inhabitants. It comprises 911a. 2r. 33p., of which about 800 acres are arable, 70 pasture, and 40 woodland. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 13. 4., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £227. The church is of great antiquity, with a wooden belfry-turret surmounted by a low spire.
Roothing, Margaret (St. Margaret)
ROOTHING, MARGARET (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union and hundred of Dunmow, N. division of Essex, 7¼ miles (N. N. E.) from Ongar; containing 272 inhabitants. It is elevated ground, and comprises 1125a. 1r. 38p., of which 948 acres are arable, 136 pasture, and 40 woodland. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 12. 6.; patrons, the family of Bentley: the incumbent's tithes have been commuted for £234, and £81 are paid to the rector of StondonMassey; the glebe consists of 46 acres. The church has an enriched Norman porch.
ROOTHING, MORRELL, a hamlet, in the parish of White-Roothing, union and hundred of Dunmow, N. division of Essex, 8 miles (N.) from Ongar; containing 32 inhabitants. This was formerly a parish.
Roothing, White (St. Martin)
ROOTHING, WHITE (St. Martin), a parish, in the union and hundred of Dunmow, N. division of Essex, 8 miles (N.) from Ongar; containing 520 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the river Roden, and comprises 2522a. 1r. 14p., of which 1949 acres are arable, 221 meadow and pasture, 201 woodland and plantations, and the remainder garden and waste. The surface is elevated; the soil, though various, is moderately fertile, and the scenery agreeably diversified. The village is pleasant, and contains several neatly-built houses. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £26, and in the gift of J. Maryon Wilson, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £600, and the glebe comprises 63 acres. The church is a spacious structure, with a large embattled tower surmounted by a lofty spire.
ROPE, a township, in the parish of Wybunbury, union and hundred of Nantwich, S. division of the county of Chester, 2¾ miles (E. by N.) from Nantwich; containing 123 inhabitants. It comprises 573a. 1r. 18p. The tithes have been commuted for £6. 10. 6. payable to the vicar of the parish, and £61. 10. to the Bishop of Lichfield.
Ropley (St. Peter)
ROPLEY (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Alresford, hundred of Bishop's-Sutton, Alton and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 3 miles (E.) from Alresford; containing 771 inhabitants, and consisting of 3715a. 1r. 27p. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Bishop's-Sutton: the tithes have been commuted for £240, and the glebe comprises 7 acres. The church is an ancient structure. The late Archbishop of Canterbury was born in this parish, of which his father was incumbent for forty years; and the archbishop himself held the living for some time: his grace died in February 1848.
Ropsley (St. Peter)
ROPSLEY (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Grantham, wapentake of Winnibriggs and Threo, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 5¾ miles (E. by S.) from Grantham; containing, with the hamlet of Little Humby, 673 inhabitants, of whom 604 are in Ropsley township. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 14. 2.; net income, £669; patron, the Duke of Rutland. On the inclosure of the parish, 25 acres of land were allotted to the poor, the rent of which, £20, is distributed in coal.
Roseacre, Lancaster.—See Treales.
ROSEACRE, Lancaster.—See Treales.
Rose-Ash (St. Peter)
ROSE-ASH (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of South Molton, hundred of Witheridge, South Molton and N. divisions of Devon, 5¾ miles (E. S. E.) from South Molton; containing 541 inhabitants. The parish comprises 4514 acres, of which 1251 are common or waste land. There are some quarries of stone for repairing the roads. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £18. 19. 7.; net income, £423; patron and incumbent, the Rev. E. Southcombe: the glebe comprises 100 acres. The church is ancient.
Rosedale East Side
ROSEDALE EAST SIDE, a chapelry, in the parish of Middleton, union and lythe of Pickering, N. riding of York, 7 miles (N. E. by N.) from Kirkby-Moorside; comprising the townships of Hartoft and Rosedale East Side, and containing 555 inhabitants, of whom 387 are in Rosedale East Side. A convent of Benedictine or Cistercian nuns, in honour of St. Mary and St. Lawrence, was founded here in the reign of Richard I., by Robert, son of Nicholas de Stutevil, and at the Dissolution possessed a revenue of £41. 13. 8. The township is situated in the picturesque vale of the river Seven, and comprises about 4600 acres, of which 2000 are inclosed, and the remainder is moorland. It is partly clayey land, and partly a red soil, and the substratum contains coal of inferior quality, wrought chiefly for lime burning; there are also some quarries of good flagstone. The village is pleasant, and the surrounding scenery partially interspersed with wood: on the river is a large flourmill. The chapel was rebuilt in 1839, at a cost of £665, raised by subscription: the living is a perpetual curacy; net value, £94.
Rosedale West Side
ROSEDALE WEST SIDE, a township, in the parish of Lastingham, union of Pickering, wapentake of Ryedale, N. riding of York, 11 miles (N. W. by N.) from Pickering; containing 201 inhabitants. This is a high moorland township, extending to the sources of the small river Seven, and comprising 2700 acres, of which 1800 are common or waste: it has several beds of coal. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £27; and the appropriate, payable to the Archbishop of York, for £8. 10.
ROSEDEN, a township, in the parish of Ilderton, union of Glendale, N. division of Coquetdale ward and of Northumberland, 5 miles (S. E. by S.) from Wooler, on the road to Newcastle; containing 83 inhabitants. The township comprises about 1850 acres, of which 1000 are moorland, 800 arable, and 50 pasture and wood; it is of a light turnip soil, with a portion of clay, and there is a small freestone-quarry. The river Breamish passes on the east. On Roseden Edge are the remains of a semicircular intrenchment of earth, with an inner wall of loose stones, supposed to be of British origin.
ROSEGREEN, a hamlet, in the parish of Pagham, union of West Hampnett, hundred of Aldwick, rape of Chichester, W. division of the county of Sussex; containing 82 inhabitants.
ROSLEY, a township, in the parish of Westward, union of Wigton, Allerdale ward below Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 5¼ miles (E. S. E.) from Wigton; containing 279 inhabitants. A great fair for horses, cattle, sheep, cloth, &c., is held on Whit-Monday, and every alternate Monday following till All Saints' day; at which it is computed that 2000 head of cattle, and 500 horses, are exhibited for sale on one day. Forty acres of land on Rosley Hill were allotted for holding the fair, under an inclosure act in 1811.
Rosliston (St. Mary)
ROSLISTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Burton-upon-Trent, hundred of Repton and Gresley, S. division of the county of Derby, 4½ miles (S. by W.) from Burton; containing 327 inhabitants. It comprises 1197a. 12p. of fertile marl or clay land; and has a pleasant village, about two miles south-west from which is Coton Park, a mansion surrounded with a thriving plantation. Coton-Park farm consists of 300 acres, with a neat house. The living is annexed to the rectory of Walton-on-Trent: the tithes were commuted in 1840 for £100, and the glebe comprises 58 acres; 307 acres in the parish are tithe free, and 517 are covered by a modus. The church, with the exception of the tower, was rebuilt by subscription in 1827.