A Topographical Dictionary of England. Originally published by S Lewis, London, 1848.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Shilbottle (St. James)
SHILBOTTLE (St. James), a parish, in the union of Alnwick, E. division of Coquetdale ward, N. division of Northumberland; containing, with the townships of Hazon, Newton-on-the-Moor, Whittle, and Woodhouse, 1208 inhabitants, of whom 549 are in Shilbottle township, 4½ miles (S. by E.) from Alnwick. The parish comprises 5921a. 3r, 20p., of which 4400 acres are arable, 1255 pasture and meadow, and 140 woodland: the soil is a strong clay, producing grain of all kinds; and great numbers of cattle and sheep are reared and fattened for the markets. The substratum abounds with coal of good quality, of which mines are in operation. The living is a discharged vicarage, endowed with a portion of the rectorial tithes, and valued in the king's books at £4. 14. 8.; net income, £222: it is in the patronage of the Crown, and the remainder of the rectorial tithes belong to various persons. The incumbent's tithes in Shilbottle township have been commuted for £77, and the impropriators for £246: the vicar has a glebe of 18 acres. The church, which was thoroughly repaired about 1793, retains a portion of its original Norman character. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
SHILDON, a township, in the parish of St. Andrew Auckland, union of Auckland, N. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 3½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Bishop-Auckland; containing 2631 inhabitants. Here is a depôt for goods, on the railway from Witton Park to Darlington and Stockton. The station is 124 yards in length, and will contain more than 1000 coal-waggons; four locomotiveengines are generally kept here, and there are extensive warehouses. A church was erected some years ago in a conspicuous situation on rising ground east of the old village: a district has been assigned, comprising the townships of Shildon, Midridge, Eldon, and East Thickley; and a parsonage-house built, towards which the Earl of Eldon subscribed 100 guineas. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Bishop of Durham, and is endowed with £225 per annum out of the property of the see. The impropriate tithes of the township have been commuted for £43. 3.
Shillingford (St. Faith)
SHILLINGFORD (St. Faith), a parish, in the union of Farringdon, hundred of Ganfield, county of Berks, 2¾ miles (S. E. by E.) from Farringdon; containing 280 inhabitants. It comprises about 1680 acres, of which 460 are arable, 1109 pasture, and 84 woodland. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £17. 8. 11½.; net income, £497; patron, T. M. Goodlake, Esq. The church is partly Norman, and partly in the early English style, and contains some ancient and curious monuments, among them an altar-tomb to the memory of John de Blewberry, a priest, who died in 1372, and a monument to the late Lord Ashbrook and his father, who resided and were interred here.
Shillingford (St. George)
SHILLINGFORD (St. George), a parish, in the union of St. Thomas, hundred of Exminster, Wonford and S. divisions of the county of Devon, 3½ miles (S. S. W.) from Exeter; containing 72 inhabitants. It comprises 397a. 2r. 25p., of which 131 acres are arable, 62 pasture, 15 woodland, and 15 garden and orchard ground. The living is a discharged rectory, consolidated with that of Dunchideock, and valued in the king's books at £9. The church contains an old monument to one of the Courteney family.
Shillingstone, or Shilling-Okeford (Holy Rood)
SHILL1NGSTONE, or Shilling-Okeford (Holy Rood), a parish, in the union of Sturminster, hundred of Cranborne, Sturminster division of the county of Dorset, 5¾ miles (N. W.) from Blandford-Forum; containing 512 inhabitants. It is bounded on the north by the river Stour; and comprises 2223 acres, of which 745 are common or waste land. The living is a rectory in medieties, the first mediety valued in the king's books at £7. 9. 9½., and the second at £6. 16. 5½.; patron, J. Thompson, Esq. The tithes have been commuted for £370, and the glebe comprises 71 acres. The church has an embattled tower crowned with pinnacles, and contains a small altar-tomb erected, it is said, to the memory of the founder.
SHILTON, a parish, in the union of Witney, hundred of Bampton, county of Oxford, 2½ miles (S. S. E.) from Burford; containing 305 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 5. 5.; patron, the Rev. Thomas Neate; impropriator, J. Gwynne, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1794.
Shilton (St. Andrew)
SHILTON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Foleshill, Kirby division of the hundred of Knightlow, N. division of the county of Warwick, 5¾ miles (N. E.) from Coventry; containing, with part of the hamlet of Barnacle, 453 inhabitants, and an area of about 1100 acres. It was formerly the residence of a branch of the Denbigh family, whose ancient mansion is still remaining. The village is pleasantly situated on the road from Coventry to Leicester; the inhabitants are chiefly employed in the ribbon manufacture, and in agriculture. The Oxford canal skirts the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £76; it is in the patronage of the Crown, and the impropriation belongs to Col. Jarvis, of Doddington Hall, Lincoln, whose tithes have been commuted for £37. The church is an ancient structure in the early and decorated English styles, with a handsome tower; the chancel is separated from the nave by an enriched screen, presented by Matthew Bloxham, Esq., and contains a piscina and some old monuments. A school was built in 1725, for this parish and Anstey; it is now conducted on the national plan.
Shilton, Earl.—See Earl-Shilton.
SHILVINGTON, a township, in the parish of Morpeth, union and W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 5 miles (S. W. by S.) from Morpeth; containing 92 inhabitants. It was anciently a manor in the Merlay barony, and was the property of the knightly families of Gubium and Ogle, the connexion of the latter of whom with the place was revived in 1830, the Rev. J. Savile Ogle then purchasing the estate. The township is in the southern part of the parish, and comprises 1426 acres, of a good soil. The village is small, and pleasantly situated on the road from Saltwick to Whalton; here was a mill in the time of Henry III., and it is pretty certain that the village also had a chapel, though no remains of it exist.
Shimpling (St. George)
SHIMPLING (St. George), a parish, in the union of Depwade, hundred of Diss, E. division of Norfolk, 3¾ miles (N. E.) from Diss; containing 230 inhabitants. It comprises 788a. 3r. 19p., of which 520 acres are arable, 225 meadow and pasture, and the remainder roads and waste. Shimpling Place, anciently the residence of the Shimpling family, is now a farmhouse. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 13. 4.; net income, £222; patron and incumbent, the Rev. H. Harrison. The church was chiefly erected early in the thirteenth century, but the steeple appears to be more ancient; a representation of St. George and the Dragon, and the arms of the Shimplings, are carved on the front of it.
Shimpling (St. George)
SHIMPLING (St. George), a parish, in the union of Sudbury, hundred of Babergh, W. division of Suffolk, 7 miles (S.) from Bury St. Edmunds; containing 517 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2698a. 2r. 6p., and includes several estates with manorial rights. Chadacre Hall, the principal of these, was the seat of the family of Plampin, of which the late Admiral Plampin was the last descendant; it is now owned by Mr. Hallifax, banker in London. Shimpling Thorn is a good mansion-house, late the property of the ancient family of Fiske. Shimpling Hall, with 400 acres of land, and Gifford's Hall, both belong to Melford Hospital. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £16. 17. 1., and in the gift of the Rev. M. C. Bolton: the tithes have been commuted for £600, and the glebe comprises 83 acres. The church is a commodious edifice, containing some monuments to the Plampins.
SHINCLIFFE, a chapelry, in the parish of St. Oswald, union of Durham, S. division of Easington ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 1¾ mile (S. E.) from Durham; containing 1137 inhabitants. This place, anciently called Syneclive, was given under that appellation to the convent of Durham by Bishop Carilepho, in 1085; and nearly the whole vill is at this day held under the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The village is considerable, and lies east of the Wear, sheltered on three sides by the rising grounds that skirt the river-valley, and open on the west to the rich level grounds on the Wear. A bridge existed here so early as the year 1200, and mention occurs of its repair twice in the 14th century; it was rebuilt by Bishop Skirlaw (who raised a noble stone structure of three arches), and was again rebuilt in 1826. The produce of a colliery in Shincliffe is shipped at Sunderland. Here is a station of the York and Newcastle railway. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £98; patrons, the Dean and Chapter: the great tithes have been commuted for £191. 18. 9., and those of the perpetual curate for £4. 9. 7. The chapel was built and endowed in 1826, by the Dean and Chapter; and a burial-ground was consecrated in September same year.
Shineton, county of Salop.—See Sheinton.
Shinfield (St. Mary)
SHINFIELD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Wokingham, hundreds of Charlton, Reading, and Theale, county of Berks, 3 miles (S. by E.) from Reading; containing, with the liberty of Hartley-Dummer, 1125 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Reading to Basingstoke, and comprises 4514 acres, of which 421 are common or waste land. The living is a vicarage, with that of Swallowfield annexed, valued in the king's books at £20. 3. l½.; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford. The great tithes of the parish have been commuted for £930, and the vicarial for £200; the appropriate glebe comprises 15 acres, and the vicarial 29. There is a place of worship for Independents. A free school was founded in 1707, by Richard Piggot, who endowed it with land and houses producing at present £57. 16. per annum. Another school, endowed by Mary Spicer in 1697, has £11 a year, arising from a house and land.
Shingay (St. Mary)
SHINGAY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Royston, hundred of Armingford, county of Cambridge, 6½ miles (N. W. byN.) from Royston; containing 137 inhabitants. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Wendy. A commandery of the Knights Hospitallers of St. John of Jerusalem was founded here in 1140, the revenue of which, at the suppression, was estimated at £175. 4. 6.
Shingham (St. Botolph)
SHINGHAM (St. Botolph), a parish, in the union of Swaffham, partly in the hundred of South Greenhoe, but chiefly in that of Clackclose, W. division of Norfolk, 4¾ miles (S. W. by W.) from Swaffham; containing 59 inhabitants. It comprises 1304 acres; the soil is chiefly sandy and light, and the surface generally flat. The living is a discharged rectory, annexed to that of Beechamwell All Saints, and valued in the king's books at £4. 6. 8.: the tithes have been commuted for £105, and the glebe comprises 24 acres.