An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 1. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1805.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Was always one manor, (fn. 1) which in King Edward's time was held by Edric, (fn. 2) of Edric, for one carucate; and in the Conqueror's time by Hubert, of Robert Malet, lord of Eye; it was then worth 15s. per annum, being five furlongs long, and four broad, and paid 3d. Danegeld.
It was always held of Eye honour at one quarter of a knight's fee, and paid x.s. relief. I do not meet with any lords' names (fn. 3) before 1280, (fn. 4) when John de Ludham was lord and patron, whose family took their sirname from a village so called in Suffolk, in Wilford hundred, (fn. 5) which they held many ages. In 1297, it was settled on
Joan, wife of Sir John Ludham, and John Lowdham, Knt. son of Thomas, was 21 years old, and held this manor; and in 1336, purchased several large parcels of land of Ralph de Shimpling, and Katerine his wife, being the first of this family that had Boyland's manor; both which, together with this advowson, in 1343, they settled by fine on themselves, and the heirs of John; Edmund de Ufford le Frere, and Peter de Teye, being feoffees. In 1351,
Sir John, son and heir of Sir John de Lowdham, and Joan his wife, held this and Boyland manor in Osmundeston, Frenze and Stirston; he died in 1355, and Joan his wife had it to her death in 1371, and held it of Edmund, son of Sir Thomas de Ufford, lord of Eye.
And in 1401, the lady which was the wife of Sir Robert Corbet, senior, Knt. held Boyland's in dower, and Sir Robert Corbet, junior, her son, held Frenze, during the minority of John Lowdham, son of Thomas de Lowdham and Maud his wife, who, when his father died, was but seven years old. This John died 28th April, 1428; Alice his wife surviving him: he left only one daughter,
Joan, then 14 years old, married to Thomas Hevenyngham, Esq. and after that to Ralph Blaverhasset, Esq. both which she outlived, not dying till June 20, 1501, being 97 years of age: she was seized of Boyland's, the other moiety of which was granted by John Lowdham to John Woodhouse.
John Blaverhasset was her son and heir, being 77 years old at his mother's death. This is a very ancient family, taking their name from Bleverseta, or Bleverhayset, in Cumberland, where the eldest branch continued a long time. In 1382, Alan Bleverhasset was mayor of the city of Carlisle, as was John, in 1430. (fn. 6) In 1412, Ralph Bleverhayset was parliament-man for that city, and so was Thomas, in 1584. In 1510, this John died, in the 87th year of his age, seized of Frenze, and a moiety of Boyland's; he had two wives; Jane daughter of Thomas Heigham of Heigham Green in Suffolk, Esq. by whom he had SirThomas, his son and heir, now 49 years of age; and Jane, daughter of Sir Thomas Tindall of Hockwold in Norfolk, Knt. He came from South-hill in Bedfordshire, to Frenze, which estate he gave to John, his son by his second wife, who dying without issue, it was divided among his four sisters,Margaret, married to Robert Warner of Besthorp, after to William Drury of the same; Jane, to Sir Phillip Calthorp; Anne, to Sir Henry Grey of Wrest in Bedfordshire, Knt.; Ellen to Miles Hobert of Plumstede in Norfolk, Esq. second son of Sir James Hobart, Knt.
George, his eldest son by his first wife, his heir: he died in 1543, and by his will gave Frenze to Margaret his wife for life, and Boyland's moiety to Mary, his daughter and heiress, then married to Thomas Culpepper, Esq. she being to have Frenze also at Margaret's death. This Mary, by fine, settled Frenze on
John Bleverhasset, who had enjoyed Boyland's ever since the death of the said Mary. This John was brother to George, her father: he sold the moiety of Boyland's to Sir Thomas Cornwaleis, Knt. and his heirs, but Frenze continued in this family; for in 1587,
The Church is a small building, of equal height, covered with tile; and having no steeple, the bell hangs on the outside of the roof, at the west end: there is no partition between the church and chancel, but there is a beam fixed across the east chancel window, on which the rood was conveniently placed. The church is about 24 yards long, and 7 yards wide; the south porch is tiled. It is dedicated to St. Andrew the Apostle, (fn. 7) as appears from the will of Ralph Bleverhasset, who desired to be buried in the chancel of St. Andrew at Frenze. The meanness of the fabrick hath preserved the inscriptions from being reaved, for it looks like a barn, at a distance. In the chancel, according to his will, is buried Ralph Bleverhasset, Esq. whose effigies, standing upon a lion, still remains on a stone, and this inscription:
Pran for the Soule of Jane Bleverhayssett, Wedow, late Wyf onto John Blaverhayssett, Esquier, Whiche Jane departed oute of this present Lyf, the bi Day of October, the Yere of our Lord God, M y rri on whose Soule Jhu have merry, Amen.
Here lyeth Sir Thomas Bleuerhayssette, Knyght, which decessyd the ryii Dan of June, the Yere of our Lorde M yo rrri. and rrriii Yere of the Reigne of our Sobe raygne Lord Kyng Henry the viiith, whois Soule God Pardon.
His effigies still remains, in complete armour, having a surcoat of his arms, viz. Bleverhasset with the annulet, (which this branch always bare for difference,) with his quarterings, Lowdham, Orton, and Kelvedon; (or Keldon;) under his head lies his crest, viz. a fox passant.
Here lyeth Dame Margaret Bleverhayset, Wedowe. late Wyf to Syr Thomas Bleverhayset off Frens, Knyght, Domghter to John Braham of Metheryngset, Esquyer, who bad Yssue by the said Sur Thomas, two Sonnes, Thomas a Pryst, and John Bleverhayset of Bargham, by Beclys in Suff, and fyve Dowghters, that ys Elizabeth Fyrst married to Lyonell Lowth, after to Francis Clopton, Agnes married to Syr Antony Rows, Knyght, Anne married fyrst to George Duke, after to Peter Rede, Margaret fyrst married to John Gosnold, after to Antony Myngfyld, who dyed the rriii of Julye in the Yere of our Lorde, 1561.
Adjoining is another stone, having had two coats, which are reaved, as is the effigies of the man; that of the woman remains; her head lies on a pillow, and her beads hang before her; the two remaining shields have these arms:
Heare uner lieth George Duke, Esquyre. who marryed Anne, the Dowghter of Syr Thomas Bleverhaysset, Knyght, the whiche George died the rrbi day of July, in the Yere of our Lorde God, a. M. CCCCC. li. whos Sowle God Pardon, Amen.
Mariæ filiæ et hæredi unicæ Georgij Bleverhasset, Militis inaurati Enuptæ primo Thomæ Culpeper, Armigero, qui hic, postea Francisco Bacon, Armigero, Qui Petistiræ in Comitat: Suff. tumulatur, sine prole, Defuncte vii Septembr. 1587, Ætatis suæ, 70. Viduæ, Piæ, Castæ, Hospitali, Benignæ! Joannes Cornwaleis, et Joannes Bleverhasset, Memoriæ et amoris ergo posuerunt.
Here under lyethe Thomazin Platers, Daughter of George Duke, Esquyer, and Wife to William Platers, Sonne t Heier of Thomas Platers of Soterley, Esquier, whiche Thomazin dyed the 23d day of December, in the second Yere of the Reigne of our Sovereigne Lady Quene Elizabethe, Ao 1560.
More towards the east, on the said wall, remains the impression of a brass effigies, and inscription now lost, but in a MSS. (marked E. 26, fol. 23.) in Mr. Anstis's hands we have the following account:
In a north window was a man bearing Ufford's arms, and by him stood pictured a lady in the arms of Shelton, covered with a mantle of Lowdham. (fn. 8)
In the windows, Hasset and Lowdham quartered. Lowdham,— Ufford,—Dalimer, arg. three inescutcheons gul.; Shelton, Mortimer of Wigmore, Ufford with a label, again with a de-lis, again with a batoon gobonne arg. and gul.; again with an annulet arg.
At Mrs. Hill's at Castor, near Yarmouth, I saw an ancient canvass surrounding two rooms, painted with the matches of the Bleverhassets; (John Bleverhasset, who married Mrs. Hill's sister, and died in 1704, was the last of this branch;) their names are under each coat; but with hanging against moist walls, several are worn out: those that are perfect I have added here, though they are so displaced, that the time of the matches cannot be determined by their succession.
1294, John de Petestre, rector. (fn. 9)
1325, prid. non. Jan John de Novadomo (Newhouse) de Snapes; presented by Cecily, widow of Sir Robert de Ufford Earl of Suffolk, and lord of Eye, Robert de Shelton, and William Tastard, guardians of John de Lowdham.
1382, 6 June, John Baxter, priest. (fn. 10) Ditto.
1394, 20 May, Henry Brakkele, priest, (fn. 11) Sir Robert Corbett, senior, guardian to John de Lowdham.
1416, 18 Oct. Tho. Bukke of Melles, priest. (fn. 12) John Lowdham of Ipswich, patron, by right of inheritance in a lineal descent.
1423, 31 May, Simon Warner, priest. (fn. 13) John Lowdham, Esq. son and heir of Thomas Lowdham, Knt.
|King's Books.||Clear Value.||Synodals.||Procurations.||Norw.Taxa.|
This rectory is in Redenhall deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry; and being sworn of the value of 30l. per annum only, is discharged of first fruits and tenths, and is capable of augmentation; here is a rectory-house, and about 3 or 4 acres of glebe. It is a small village, having only 6 houses, and about 60 inhabitants. [1736.] In Norwich Domesday it is said, that the rector then had a house and 20 acres land, not taxed. The old tenth was 1l. 5s. the association valuation, 204l. per annum, and the present valuation is 149l.