An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 1. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1805.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Joins to the south part of Kenninghall; what this town's name signifies, I know not, and which is remarkable, it never altered its spelling from the Conqueror's time to this day, for in Domesday (fn. 1) we find it the same. In the Confessor's time Lopham was two distinct towns and different manors, Lopham-Magna, now North Lopham, belonged to Ofl, (fn. 2) a freeman, his manor having three carucates of land in demean, and the other Lopham, called afterwards LophamParva, and now South Lopham, belonged to Alsius, a freeman, whose manor then contained two carucates in demean. This Alsius had a manor in Norton, which in the Conqueror's days he joined to this, making it a berewic to it, after which it came into the Conqueror's hands, who gave them to Roger Bygot Earl of Norfolk, who joined the two Lophams, and granted off the Norton part to Alured an Englishman; (fn. 3) from this time Lopham hath continued as one manor to this day, though they are two distinct parishes, each having their separate bounds and officers.
Roger Bygot, who was possessed of this manor at the survey, died in 1107, (fn. 4) and was buried in the abbey of Thetford, which he had built, leaving William, his son and heir, who gave the church of Lopham to the monks of Thetford, (fn. 5) in the time of Henry I. which was appropriated and then confirmed to that house, (fn. 6) with all its appurtenances, by King Henry II. This was South Lopham church, which by its conventual form, and Gothick tower, was in all likelihood built at this time, and it is probable some of those monks had a cell here, and served it for some time, and this is the reason that this church never had any institution, though the monks quitted all their right in it to the lord, who had a release of it from the abbey, and added it, with the appurtenances, to the rector of the other church, who took the cure upon him from that time; this must be very early, for, before 1340, it was taxed at 26 marks, a value that must include the whole. This William being Steward of the Household to King Henry I. perished with that King's children, and divers other of the nobility, by shipwreck, as they came from Normandy into England in the year 1119, (fn. 7) leaving
Hugh Bygod, his brother, his heir, who by King Stephen was made Earl of the East Angles, or Norfolk, which was again confirmed to him by King Henry II. together with the stewardship of that King's household; yet, notwithstanding all these favours, he took part with the Earl of Leicester, in the rebellion began by him, adhering to young Henry (whom King Henry his father had crowned) in his rebellious practices; but meeting with no success, he was forced to make his peace with the King, for a fine of 1000 marks, and not long after, he went into the Holy Land with the Earl of Flanders, and there died in 1177, upon which the King seized all his treasure, and retained it in his hands.
Roger Bygod, his son, inherited, who in 1189, was restored by King Richard I. to his earldom, stewardship, and estate, upon paying a fine of 1000 marks for these favours: (fn. 8) he died about 1218, for then
Roger, his nephew, son to his brother Hugh, who had then livery of that great inheritance, being 25 years old, but he also having no issue, in 1301, settled all his estate (except the manors of Acle and Castre, and the advowson of Geldeston church in Norfolk, and others in Yorkshire) upon King Edward I. after his and his wife Alice's death, together with the marshal's rod, upon condition to be rendered back in case he should have any children; though at the same time John Bygod, his own brother, and heir apparent, was living, who by this means was cut off from all, but the manors that were excepted. This Roger, (fn. 9) jointly with Alice his wife, held this manor of the King's grant upon the settlement, at which time the manor house had a demean of 335 acres of land, 15 of meadow, and 20 acres of pasture, with a park, 2 windmills, and the fourth part of Harling mill. He died about 1305, (fn. 10) seized of this and many other manors, leaving John, his brother, 40 years old, his next heir, (fn. 11) who inherited nothing but the part excepted, the estate going to King Edward I. (fn. 12) From which time it remained in the Crown till Edward II. in the 9th year of his reign, gave it, with the rest of the Bygod's estate, (fn. 13) to
Thomas de Brotherton, his brother, whom he this year created Earl of Norfolk, and Marshal of England; he died in 1338, leaving his two daughters his heirs, Alice married to Edward de Monteacute, and Margaret first married to John Lord Segrave, and after to Sir Walter Manny, Knt. of the Garter, to whose share, this, among other manors, was allotted: in her right John de Segrave became Lord and patron, upon Thomas de Brotherton's death, and held it till he died in 1351, leaving Elizabeth his daughter and heir, then married to John, son of John Lord Mowbray, though this manor remained in the aforesaid Margaret's hands, and came to her second husband, Walter de Manny, Knt. who had it till he died in 1371, from which time it continued in the said Margaret, till the 24th of March 1399, when she died. She was created Dutchess of Norfolk for term of her life, by Richard II. in 1397. It appears that there were great uneasinesses between her and the Lord Segrave, her first husband, (fn. 14) for she went in person to Rome, in order to obtain a sentence of divorce from him, of the Pope, having obtained letters of safe conduct for her and her retinue, of the French King; notwithstanding which, she and her servants were all arrested and taken in their journey, at the instigation, as was thought, of her husband, who was then under excommunication for not going to Rome, according to the Pope's citation, though he had pleaded that being a baron of England, he was not compellable to appear at that court; by this means he stopped her appearing against him at Rome, at the day assigned, and the matter afterwards was made up between them. At her death it descended to
Thomas Lord Mowbray, Duke of Norfolk, her grandson, who was son of her daughter Elizabeth, married as aforesaid to John, son of John Lord Mowbray, who died at Venice in 1399, leaving this Thomas his son, then 14 years old, who, in 1401, (fn. 15) had this manor, though the advowson and part of the demeans belonged to Elizabeth his mother, (fn. 16) in right of her dower, he never was duke, being beheaded at York, with Richard Scrope Archbishop of Canterbury, in 1405, (fn. 17)
John, his brother, then 17 years old, being his heir, who was restored to the title of Duke of Norfolk in 1424, and dying in 1432, (fn. 18) John his son, then 17 years old, succeeded him; but this manor was assigned in dower to Catharine his mother, (fn. 19) daughter to Ralph Nevil Earl of Westmoreland, who afterward married to Thomas Strangewayes, Esq. after that to John Viscout Beaumont, and lastly to John Widvile, brother to Anthony Earl Rivers, all which were lords here in her right. At her death John Duke of Norfolk, her son, enjoyed it, and died seized in 1461, and John his son inherited, he died in 1474, leaving Anne, his sole daughter, then two years old, afterwards married to Richard Duke of York, second son to King Edward IV. who was murdered in the tower in 1483, and dying issueless, it fell to the share of John Howard, Knt. son of Sir Robert Howard, Knt. and Margaret his wife, who was one of the two daughters and coheirs of Thomas Mowbray, first Duke of Norfolk, from which time it hath always attended the fate of that family, and is now the estate of the present Duke of Norfolk. (fn. 20)
This manor was held as parcel of Earl Roger's barony, and in 1285 had view of frankpledge, assize of bread and ale, and free-warren belonging to it. In 1609, the quitrents were above 21l. per annum; in 1641 the park was farmed at 390l. per annum. The Leet belongs to the manor,
The Customs of which are, that the fines are at the lord's will; the copyhold descends to the eldest son; the tenants can build and pull down, fell timber, and plant on the waste against their own lands, without license.
Was held of the hundred, by the service of 1s. a year, to which belonged many copy and freeholders; (fn. 21) the whole at first contained a caracute of land, which was granted by Earl Roger, to Richard of Lopham, who died in 1194, in which year Ivo of Lopham, his son, gave 20s. to have a recognition of the death of his ancestor, for a carucate of land in Lopham, against Gundred the Countess; and in 1198, (fn. 22) the said Ivo granted half of the said carucate, with Ivo, the steward of Lopham, his family, and posterity, to Earl Roger, and Gundred his Countess, and agreed to hold the other half of them by the rent of 5s. a year, and 20s. 6d. scutage, so that now this Free Tenement, as it was then called, contained half a carucate; the 5s. rent was afterwards released, and it came to be held of the hundred, and not of the capital manor, at 1s. a year rent. In 1248, Henry (of Lopham) the chirurgeon, had it; and in 1335, Henry, the son of Robert; (of Lopham; (fn. 23)) afterwards it was owned by John Goodson, vicar of Pakenkam, whose name it still retains. From this family it went to John Hawes, and from him to Robert Leader, then to John Leader, and from him to Robert Warnes the elder, and then to Robert Warnes the younger, who had it in 1635, by which time the copyhold was all manumised, and the freerents sold off, all but 16s. 10d. 3q. a year. In 1684, Robert Warnes, son of the last Robert, held it, by the rent of 12d. a year, in lieu of all suit of court to the hundred. (fn. 24) It after belonged to Francis Bogas, Gent. who died in 1692, leaving it to his widow, who afterwards married Mr. Samuel Browning of Thetford; and at her death it went to Mr. Samuel Browning, his son, who sold it to Mr. Thomas Saunders of Thetford, the present  owner; but there are no rents now remaining.
The Rectory Manor
Always belonged to the rector, as it now doth, [1736,] its customs being the same as the great manor; there is a rectory-house, and 46 acres and one rood of glebe in South Lopham, and 9 acres 2 roods and an half in North Lopham.
This rectory is in Norfolk archdeaconry and Rockland deanery, valued at 17l. 0s. 5d. and is still charged with first fruits, and 1l. 14s. 0b. yearly tenths. The synodals are 3s. and the procurations 7s. 7d. 0b. 
South Lopham Church is dedicated to St. Nicholas; being built in the conventual form, the tower is square, being a very large Gothick building; (fn. 25) in it are 6 good bells, the chancel, the nave, south isle, and porch are leaded; there are no arms nor inscriptions any where in it, except this on a stone in the chancel, very obsolete,
In Mr. Anstis's book (fn. 26) it appears the following arms were formerly here, viz.
Coote, ar. a chevron between three coots sab. Harvey, ar. on a bend gul. three trefoils vert, for Christopher Coot, and Barbary Harvey, his wife. Of this family more will occur in Blow-Norton; this Christopher had a lease of this manor. Matthew, his eldest son, was born in 1563, (fn. 27) in 1546, Leonard, son of Robert Coote, was buried; 1589, 15 June, Francis Coote, Gentleman-Usher to Queen Elizabeth, was buried in this chancel, in which the following inscriptions were formerly on brass plates.
Orate pro Animabus Rolandi Arsick, Armigeri, Secundi Filü Eudonis Arsick, militis qui Rolandus obüt 17° Dic Febr. 1497, et Margaretæ uroris eius, filiæ Thomæ Huntingfield, de hac billa que quidem, Mar- garata obiit 25° die Octobris 1486, Ouorum Animabus propitietur Dcus, Amens.
Orate pro Animabus Willi Nobell de Ashfield, Armigeri, et Elizabethe uroris eius, qui quidem Willus ob. 7°, die Julü, 1534, Ouor. ibz propicietur Oeus, Amen. (fn. 28)
North Lopham Church is dedicated to St. Andrew the Apostle; the tower is square having five bells in it; it was begun to be rebuilt about 1479, for then Thomas Jente, who was buried here, gave 4 marks towards its building; but was not finished till about 1526, (fn. 29) for till that time most that died here left something towards it; there were certainly a great number of benefactors, the initial letters of the names of the principal ones being carved in the stone-work on the south side, John Kailli the principal undertaker's name being at length:
Here were two Gilds, (fn. 30) one dedicated to St. John, the other to St. Peter, which were endowed with lands, seized upon by the Crown in the 1st year of Edward VI. and so continued till King Phillip and Queen Mary, in the 3d and 4th year of their reign, gave them to Thomas Reeve and George Calton, who sold them the same year to Thomas Brooke, and William Woodferme, who sold them again immediately to the inhabitants, who now enjoy them, viz. a tenement and half an acre at the west end of the churchyard; three acres of land in North Lopham, the first is called St. John's Acre, because it belonged to that gild, and lies in Well, or Willbush Furlong; the second is St. Peter's Acre, so called for the same reason; this abuts upon the common towards the west; the third is called Lamp Acre, and abuts on the glebe, and was given to maintain a lamp burning in the church; all which are now held of the manor of East Greenwich, by fealty only, without any payment, and were settled to the use of the poor.
In 1412, Sir Edmund Noon, Knt. lord of Shelf hanger, granted a tenement called Elwine's, and 13 acres of land, part of his demeans, to Richard Bosse, to be held free by him and his heirs for ever, by the payment of a red rose every Midsummer Day at Shelf hanger manor, all which lands, with others joined to them, he gave to this town to repair the church for ever, settling them to that use upon William Tye, parson of Shelf hanger, John Pycot, John Clare, and John Gyles, clerks, who, in 1454, conveyed them to Henry Noon, Esq. Edmund Bokenham, Esq. and John Halle, parson of Garboldisham, from which time it hath been held by feoffees, as it now  is, and the profits applied to that use, it being now let at 8l. per annum.
In 1607, the inhabitants held a piece of land given by Thomas Jente; a tenement called the Town-house, and a croft of one acre, given by Catharine Turnor; a piece of pasture in Lyng Furlong of 2 acres, abutting on Kenninghall Common north.
In 1696, Mrs. Mary Williamson of Garboldisham gave a meadow, called Stulp Meadow, in Garboldisham, and another meadow adjoining to it, to this parish, the church-wardens of which are annually to receive the rent, and to bind out a poor child every year to a trade; and if there be no poor child in the parish, then they are to lay it out to clothe the poor people of the said parish.
In 1730, the church-wardens leased out a cottage for 69 years to come, to Trophimus Shepperd, at the annual rent of 1l. 2s. (fn. 31)
South Lopham hath an estate of 30l. a year at Wortham in Suffolk, which was given by one Purdy for the repairs of the church, and if there were any overplus, to charitable uses, such as the feoffees would apply it to, for the good of the town: the houses, and the greatest part of the farm, is freehold.
Tradition has it, that Purdy was a Wortham man, and a leper, and gave his estate to this town, because they were willing he should be buried among them, which Wortham was not: but this being a common story told in most places where there are gifts of this nature, I look upon it as tradition only.
This town hath also 60 acres, called the Frith, taken off the common by the lord's consent, of whom they now hold it; it is marsh ground, and let at 8l. per annum, the income of which is gven to the poor by the feoffees every Christmas and Easter. And also a messuage, barn, and 16 acres of freehold land, lying in the parish, now rented at 15l. per annum, settled to repair and beautify the church for ever; and before the tenure of knight's service was abolished, it paid scutage, and a relief of 2s. 2d. 0b.
The Commons contain as much land as the whole towns beside, on all which North and South Lopham are joint commoners, but no other parishes intercommon with them; they are called the Great or Mill Common, North Green, North Common, and the Fen Common, and the inhabitants heretofore had all Chimbrook Meadow, (fn. 32) for common, which they granted to the lord to make his fishery, agreeing to quit all right of commonage in it, and on all other the lord's wastes, on the east side the hundred ditch, and park banks, for which the lord agreed to lay them out an equivalent of other lands upon their Great Common, which was done accordingly, reserving the trees, furze, and bushes, growing, or which should ever hereafter grow on the lands, so laid out, which privilege the lord still enjoys, the lands being then called the Severals, and now the Allands, or Ollands.
In former times this town was most wood, though now it doth not more abound with it than its neighbours; for it appears from a fine sued in 1383, that there was then great plenty; for in that year the Countess of Norfolk settled 60 acres of wood, and the pannage and keeping one boar, and 24 swine in her park here, with liberty of gathering acorns for three days, with 25 men, on herself for life, remainder to the Countess of Pembrook for life, after to Sir John Hastyngs, Knt. Earl of Pembrook, her son, and the heirs of his body, remainder to the heirs of the Countess.
Rectors of Lopham,
1332. Robert de Cantuaria, or Canterbury, resigned, and William Vygerous was instituted on the nones of Sept. presented by Thomas de Brotherton, son of the King, Earl of Norfolk, and Earl-Marshal of England; in 1335, on the kal. of Maroh he had a dispensation for non-residence, as domestick chaplain to Stephen de Gravesend Bishop of London. This William, the 13th of the kal. of April, 1327, was presented by the Bishop of London, to Thorley rectory, being then an accolite only: (fn. 33) In 1329, (fn. 34) he changed with Stephen de Scaldeford for Finchley rectory in Middlesex, to which he was instituted the 6th of the id. of May, and was then priest; in 1332, on the nones of Sept. he resigned Finchley, and took Lopham, for which he gave his archdeaconry of Essex in exchange, to Robert de Cantuaria, to which he was collated by the Bishop of London, (fn. 35) on the 4th of the nones of Dec. Ao 1331; in 1336, he was collated to the rectory of Fulham in Middlesex, which he held with Lopham to his death, Ao 1341. This Robert de Cantuaria was chaplain to King Edward II. rector of Lopham, archdeacon of Essex, prebend of Cumb in the church of Wells, and of Mapesbury in St. Paul's church, London, 1331, and died about 1333. (fn. 36)
1346, 17 July, He changed with Will. de Dunstaple, rector of Chestreford, London diocese. (fn. 37) Ditto.
1351, 4 March, Giles de Wyngrewortk, a shaveling. King Edward, on account of the lands late Sir John Segrave's, having recovered this turn in his own court, against John de Segrave, those lands being lately in the King's hands.
1361, 27 July, Nicholas de Horton, priest. Walter Lord Manney. This Nicholas was a monk of Thetford, (fn. 38) and founder of South Lopham chancel; he had a long suit with Walter Pek, rector of Garboldisham St. John, about two pieces of the demean lands of the rectory of Lopham, which laid in Garboldisham, the tithe of which the rector of Garboldisham St. John claimed; but there passed a decree against him, that neither the rectors of Lopham, nor their farmers, should pay any tithe to Garboldisham, though the lands laid in that parish.
1394, 3 Sept. Sir Jeffry Symond of Dersham, priest. The Countess of Norfolk; (sc. Margaret;) John Grym, rector of Garboldisham St. John, renewed the action against this Jeffery for tithe of his demeans, but was immediately cast.
1423, 22 Dec. this Adam being grown old and blind, so that he could not serve the cure, resigned in favour of Edmund Coupere, priest, who was obliged by the Bishop, at his institution, to pay him a pension of 10l. a year, during his life. Elizabeth Dutchess of Norfolk.
1446, 17 Sept. Tho. Wode, chaplain to John Duke of Norfolk. This Thomas atte Wode was warden of Gonvile Hall in Cambridge in 1426, (fn. 39) which he held to 1454. He was the first benefactor towards building the hall of that college, and the warden's old room; Dr. Caius (by mistake) calls him Cotwood.
1462, 8 March, Rich. Derby. John Duke of Norfolk; he was after chaplain to the Dutchess. (fn. 40)
Thomas Ellis got possession of this rectory, who held it by usurpation till 1663, (fn. 41) but was then deprived by six justices, upon the act, for holding anabaptistical errours, and refusing to baptize infants.
1713, 11 June, the Rev. Mr. Robert Hall, A. M. on Slipper's death, presented by Thomas Duke of Norfolk, who some time after sold the patronage to Dr. Hill, who hath obliged his heirs for ever, to present a fellow of St. John's College in Cambridge. Sir Rowland Hill is now  patron, and Mr. Hall aforesaid is incumbent, who hath published a volume of Sermons, and another of Catechistical Lectures, in 8vo. and a Sermon on the Peace.
This town is remarkable among the country people for the three Wonders; (as they call them;) the first is, the Selfgrown Stile, being a tree grown in such a manner, that it forms a regular stile, and serves for such in a common footpath. The second is, the Ox-Foot Stone, which lies in a meadow so called; it is a large stone of the pebble kind; on which is the fair impression of an ox's foot, which seems to be natural; the fable of it is, that in a great dearth (nobody knows when) there came a cow constantly to that place, which suffered herself to be milked (as long as the dearth lasted) by the poor people; but when that decreased, she struck her foot against that stone, which made the impression, and immediately disappeared. The third is called Lopham Ford, at which place the Ouse and Waveney (those disagreeing brethren, as Spelman (fn. 42) calls them) have their rise, and though there is no greater division than nine feet of ground, yet the former goes west by Thetford to Lynn, and the latter in a direct contrary course, by Diss, and so to Yarmouth, including this whole county; Leland calls it Lopham Market, (without any authority,) and says that it belonged to Richmond fee, being led into that errour, I suppose, by its being the place where the gaol of the Duke of Norfolk's liberty was kept, of which Swaffham is the head town in this county, where the coroner for the liberty generally resided, and that town belonging to Richmond fee, might possibly lead him into this mistake; and as this liberty is of large extent in the county, it will not be amiss to give you an account of its rise and privileges in this place, because it hath been generally reputed to be, as it were, annexed to this manor.
King Edward IV. (fn. 43) by letters patent under the broad seal of England, dated at Westminster the 7th of December, in the 8th year of his reign, and in the year of our Lord 1468, granted to John Duke of Norfolk, and Elizabeth his wife, and their heirs, for ever, the return of all writs whatsoever, and of all bills, summons, precepts, and mandates of the King, and of all acting under him, within the liberty, manors, and hundreds following, viz. within the manors and demeans of Forncet, Framlingham - Parva, Ditchingham - Parva, Ditchingham, Loddon, Syseland, Halvergate, Southwalsham, Cantley, Strumpshaw, Castre, Winterton, Dickleburgh, Boyton, and Bayfield, in the county of Norfolk, and also within the whole hundred of Earsham, and the half hundred of Gildercrosse in the said county, and also in the towns, parishes, and demeans, of Kelsale, Bonnagaie, Peasenhall, Calcote, Stonham, Dennington, Brundish, Ilketshalle, and Cratefield, in Suffolk; and in the rapes of Lewis and Bramber, and all the parts and parcels thereto belonging; and in the hundred and lordship of Boseham, and the town of Stoughton, in Sussex, in the manor and lordships of Reygate and Barkyng in Surrey; and the town, manor, and lordships of Harwich and Dovercourt in Essex; and in all parcels, precincts, and jurisdictions of all the aforesaid rapes, hundreds, towns, manors, and lordships, so that no sheriff, or any other officer whatsoever, should enter the said liberty, but that every thing should be transacted by the officers of the said Duke, appointed for that purpose. Furthermore, the King granted to the Duke and his heirs, all manner of fines, profits, amerciaments, penalties, &c. of all residents in the said liberty, with all other things that should accrue to his royal crown and dignity, with full power for the Duke's officers to seize for any of them, in as full a manner as the King's officers should have done, if this grant had not been made. Further, the King granted to the said Duke and his heirs, all weyfs and strays, felons' goods, and forfeitures; and also, that the residents in this liberty shall not be sued or forced to answer in any other court, than that of the liberty, for any sum under 40s. And further, the King granted to the said Duke, full power and authority, to have his own coroners, and clerks of the markets, in his liberty, with the same power that those officers of the King have in any other place; together with a steward of the liberty, who shall have power to determine all actions under 40s. so that they arise within the liberty; all which privileges the King confirmed to him, in exchange for the castle, manor, lordship, and burgh of Chepstowe, the manor of Barton, and the manor and lordship of Tuddenham, in the Welsh Marshes, to which all the aforesaid privileges (and much greater) belonged, and had been enjoyed by the Duke and his ancestors, time out of mind, but were now by the Duke, at the King's earnest request, conveyed to Wm. Earl of Pembrook, and his heirs, and a fine levied accordingly. This liberty, with all its privileges, was enjoyed by the said Duke, and his successours, till Queen Elizabeth's time, and then were exemplified under seal, at Westminster, the 4th of July, 1558, at the request of Thomas Duke of Norfolk, who was then seized in fee, and so continued till 1568, when he settled this, among other large estates, on Tho. Cornwallis, Knt. Nich. L'Estrange, Knt. Tho. Timperly, Wm. Barker, Rob. Higford, and Edw. Peacock, and their heirs, to his own use for life, and to whatever other uses he should declare, by any will or deed that he should make; and soon after he declared by deed, that they stood seized to the use of the faithful and beloved servants of the late Duke, John Bleverhasset, W. Dixe, William Cantrell, and Laurence Bannester, in trust, that they should truly pay the debts and legacies of the said Duke, and the overplus to remain to Phillip Earl of Surrey, and his heirs, remainder to Thomas Lord Howard, and William Lord Howard, and their heirs; but upon the attainder of the Duke, and Phillip Earl of Surrey, it was seized by the Crown, where it continued till James I. by letters patent, dated at Westminster in the year 1602, being the first year of his reign, gave and granted to his faithful counsellors, Thomas Lord Howard, baron of Walden, and Henry Howard, brother of Thomas late Duke of Norfolk, and son of Henry late Earl of Surrey, and their heirs, this liberty, with the honour, lordship, and manor of Forncet, and the manors of Earl's, or Little Framlingham, Halvergate, Ditchingham, Siseland, Dickleburgh, Loddon, and Laundich hundred in Norfolk; the castle, soke, and manor of Bongeye, and manor of Cratfield, in Suffolk; (all being part of the possessions of the late attainted Duke;) together with all lawdays, amerciaments, views of frankpledge, &c. the one moiety to Thomas Lord Howard, and his heirs, the other to Henry Howard, and his heirs; and the year following, on the 3d day of April, the King, by other letters patent, granted to Thomas Earl of Suffolk, Lord Chamberlain of his Household, and to Henry Earl of Northampton, Guardian of the Cinque Ports, (those titles being conferred on them in the mean time,) and their heirs, the manors and advowsons of Ditchingham and South Walsham, late the attainted Duke's; and by other letters patent, dated at Westminster, Nov. 22, in the 6th year of his reign, he gave them the half hundred of Gyltcross in Norfolk, and Cratfield and Kelsale manors in Suffolk, late the said Duke's, with all their liberties, &c.; together with the barony, burgh, and manor of Lewes in Sussex, and the barony and manor of Bramber, with the office of itinerant bailiff, and of clerks of the markets within the said baronies in Sussex, together with Darkyng cum Capell manor in Surrey, with all the liberties of the late Duke of Norfolk, as leets, views of frankpledge, lawdays, assize of bread and beer, pleas, weyfs, streys, forfeitures of felons, fugitives, deodands, knight's fees, escheats, heriots, free-warren, return of all writs, precepts, &c. in as full and ample a manner as ever Thomas Duke of Norfolk enjoyed his liberty, before his attainder; by means of which grant, each of them was seized of a moiety, all which premises they divided by indenture, dated the 13th day of May following. The manors of Forncet, Ditchingham, Loddon, Syseland, Halvergate, South Walsham, Laundich hundred, and the half hundred of Earsham, with the manor of Bongey, were assigned to Henry Earl of Northampton, and his heirs, of which he died seized in 1613, and they descended to Thomas Earl of Arundell and Surrey, (who was restored in blood, in a parliament at Westminster, March 19, 1602,) as cousin and next heir, then aged 25 years, (fn. 44) he being son of Phillip late Earl of Arundell and Surrey, deceased, son and heir of Thomas late Duke of Norfolk, and elder brother of the said Henry late Earl of Northampton. And after this, Henry Earl of Arundell and Surrey, by indenture dated March 1, 1617, purchased to him and his heirs, of Thomas Earl of Suffolk, all his part, right, and estate, in the hundred of Gyltcross, Kelsale and Cratfield manors in Suffolk; the rapes of Lewes and Bramber and Noman's-Land in Sussex; Darkyng and Capell manors in Surrey, the barony, manor, and burgh of Lewes, with the office of bailiff itinerant; the manors of Lewisburgh, Rymer, Ilford, Seaford, Meching, Middleton, Brithelmeston; the free chase called Clers; liberty of the sheriff's turn of Noman's-Lands, Sheffield, and Grimstead manors; the barony and manor of Bramber, with the itinerant bailiff there; the burgh of Horsham, burgh of Shorambury and Beding New Park; the burgh of Steyning, and the manor of Sompting-Abbots; the office of clerks of the markets in Lewes and Bramber baronies, Sheffield and Lyngfield manor, the fourth part of Barkyng and Capell manors, the tollbooth of Southwark, and Guilford in Surrey, and all privileges that Thomas late Duke of Norfolk had in the letters patent of Queen Elizabeth; and particularly all those liberties, commonly called the Duke of Norfolk's Liberty, by virtue of which, Thomas Earl of Arundell and Surrey aforesaid was seized of the whole in fee, and so continued till the 12th of August, 1641, and then he and the Lady Alathea Countess of Arundell, his wife, and Henry Lord Mowbray and Maltravers, their eldest son, and heir apparent, Henry Bedingfield, Knt. and John Cornwaleis of Earl-Soham, their trustees, settled it (among many other estates) on Lionel Earl of Middlesex, Henry Lord Pierpoint, Edward Lord Newburgh, William Playters, Knt. and Bart and Richard Onslow, Knt. in trust, to whatever uses the Earl, his lady, and their son, should declare by deed; and on the 16th of August, in the same year, they declared it was absolutely to the use of their trustees, and their heirs, in order that they should make sale of all, or any parcels of the said baronies, lands, tenements, hereditaments, liberties, advowsons, &c. aforesaid; and that the money from thence raised should be by them applied to pay the debts of Thomas late Earl of Arundell and Surrey, and the overplus to remain to the Lord Maltravers, or his heirs; and whatever remained unsold, after the debts paid, they were to stand seized of, to the use of the Lord Maltravers and his heirs; (and that the title might be perfect, Will. Howard of Maynward, in Cumberland, Knt. joined in the indentures;) and thus they stood seized till Henry Lord Pierpoint, by the name of Henry Earl of Kingston upon Hull, Marquis of Dorset, by deed dated the 6th of Feb. 1636, at the request of Henry Howard, son of Henry late Earl of Arundell and Surrey, released to Will. Playters, and Rich. Onslow aforesaid, and their heirs, all his right in the premises, by virtue of which they were solely seized, and being so, by indenture, dated the 30th of July, 1659, they conveyed them to Arthur Onslowe, Knt. and William Turner, citizen and draper of London, and their heirs; (Forncet, Marshal's, and Grey's manors in Banham, being particularly named;) and the said Arthur and William, by indenture dated the 4th of Nov. 1660, jointly with, and at the request of, Henry Howard, Esq. second son of Henry Earl of Arundell, deceased, and Rich. Onslow of West Clandon, Knt. Arth. Onslow, his son and heir, John Fowell of Fowellscom in Devonshire, Esq. and Rich. Marriot of Clement's Danes in Middlesex, Knt. conveyed the whole absolutely to John Taseburgh of Bodney in Norfolk, Esq. and his heirs, in trust, and to the use of Rich. Onslowe, Arth. Onslowe, John Taseburgh, and Will. Turner, and their heirs, to the intention that they should sell the whole, or any part of the premises, with the woods or timber, to raise money to pay all the debts of the aforesaid Hen. Howard, with all their own expenses in the affair, and the remaining overplus, whether in money, or estates unsold, was to be to the sole use of the said Henry Howard, and his heirs, and of whomsoever he should assign it to, upon which the said Rich. Onslowe, Arth. Onslowe, Will. Turner, and John Taseburgh being solely seized of the liberty, &c. beg that the liberties, &c. might be allowed and confirmed to them, which was done, upon their producing the charters and grants, all which were allowed by Jeffry Palmer, Bart. Attorney-General, and at the request of Henry Lord Howard, were exemplified under seal at Westminster, the 2d of April, 1669, and soon after (the debts being paid) it was again vested in the Howard family, the Duke of Norfolk being now lord, who nominates a steward and coroner, and keeps a gaol for debtors, either here, or elsewhere, as he pleases.
In 1603, there were in both Lophams 351 communicants, and now  there are 76 dwelling-houses, 95 families, and 470 inhabitants in South Lopham; and 74 dwelling-houses, 92 families, and 460 inhabitants in North Lopham. They paid 5l. 12s. to the old tenths, being valued together, but now they are assessed single to the King's tax, viz. South Lopham at 785l. per annum, and North Lopham at 772l. 10s. each of them paying a leet fee of 18d.
The Rev. Mr. Robert Hall bears, arg. on a chevron ingrailed between three talbots heads erased gul. a mullet of the field, in chief a crescent for difference. Crest, on a torce arg. and gul. a talbot's head erased gul.