An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 1. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1805.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
MARKET-HERLING, or EAST-HERLING,
Is so called because it lies most east of all three; it belonged to Ketel the Dane, a freeman in the Confessor's time, when it was one manor, having two carucates in demean; in the Conqueror's time Ingulf held it under Will. de Schoies, there being then a church and 4 acres of land belonging to it; the whole was 2 miles long, and 2 miles broad, and paid 17d. 1q. geld. (fn. 1)
The first married Eudo, son of Adam de Multon; the second, William de Verdon; the third, Roger Bygod of Felbrigge, the fourth, William de Maynwaryn; the fifth, Rob. de Aiguillon; and each of them had a fifth part of the manor and advowson, which after this division became so many separate manors. Martina de Norfolk was Gilbert's sister, and William was her son, and both had lands here, but were not concerned in the manor.
William de Verdon, who married Maud, daughter of Gilbert de Norfolk, died before his wife, and she had her dower allowed her, it having been settled by them, before his death, on Will. de Lakenham, and Isabell his wife, after whom Alexander de Vaux of Keswick, and Margaret his sister, had each a third part, which, before 1268, they released to John de Vaux, their brother, and Margaret his wife, for they in that year released it (the advowson being excepted) to Tho. de Jernemuta or Yarmouth, who had it jointly with Aveline his wife, about 1234, which Aveline remarried to John de Wachesham, and they, in 1303 settled it by fine on Simon Le Bygot, and his heirs, and so united it to Felbrigge's manor; but the fifth part of the advowson, which was excepted, passed from the Vauxes to the Hales, and so fell into Maynewaryn's manor.
William de Maynwaryn died in 1247; Emma or Amy, his wife, daughter of Gilbert de Norfolk, recovered her dower against Roger her son, who was joint lord with William his brother, in 1256; Simon, son of Roger, was lord in 1286, against whom Lucia, late widow of William his uncle, then married to Stephen de Gissing, recovered her dower; this Simon was married to Lettice his wife in 1297, whose daughter, Agatha Meynewaryn, was lady in 1315, from which time I meet with nothing of it till 1368, and then Sir Roger de Hales had it, whose successour, Stephen de Hales, presented in right of his two fifth parts of the advowson. In 1401, Lady Joan de Hales had it, and very soon after it belonged to Sir John Gonvile, with whose daughter and heiress it passed to Sir Robert Herling, and so fell into the capital manor.
Went from Robert to Walter de Aiguillon, and from him to Robert de Agelyn, who settled it on Symon Le Bygot of Felbrigge, and Maud his wife, and their heirs, for 10 marks per annum, to be paid to the said Robert at Flitcham, during his life, and thus it fell into
Felbrigg's, or The Capital Manor
Roger Le Bygot de Felebrigge, who was as often called Roger de Felbrigge, in right of Gilbert de Norfolk's daughter, whom he had married, had a fifth part of the manor and advowson; after him succeeded Richard de Felbrigge, who gave Alfred Kokerbolle, his villein, and all his services, to the canons at Thetford: William de Felbrigge was his son and heir, whose wife Mary, after his death, married to Merlai, and held this manor in dower, which went to Simon Le Bygot of Felbrigge, and Maud his wife, who held it of the Earl Warren; in King Henry the Third's time he purchased Aguillon's and Multon's parts. In 1280, Sir Roger le Bygod of Felbrigge had a charter of free-warren for his manors of Herling, Felbrigge, Runton, Melton, and Palling, when he and his parceners held Herling manors, late Gilbert de Norfolk's at 2 fees and an half, of the Earl-Marshal. In 1303, Simon Le Bygod of Felbrigge, and Alice his wife, purchased Verdon's manor; this Simon had the whole by grant from William Le Bygod, his brother, who was rector here, and in 1347, he and his wife conveyed the advowson, with 1 acre of land only, to him again, and in 1350, they settled all, but the acre and advowson, on Nicholas Bourne, of Long-Stratton, who left it to his two daughters and heirs, Elizabeth, married to Sir Tho. Jenney, Knt. who, in 1361, released all their right to Margaret their sister, and John de Herling her husband, and their heirs, who purchased the advowson of William Bygot, and so joined it to the manor again.
Came with the younger branch of the Earl Warren's family to the Bardolfs, (fn. 2) and from them to Phillip de Virlye, from him to John de Boyland, and from him to Ralph of Kenninghall, sirnamed Le Falconer, and then to his son Ralf of Keninghall, to whose son, Simon of Keninghall, William de Hastyngs of Quidenham granted a messuage and many lands there, free, at 12d, a year rent. (fn. 3) In Henry the Third's time, John Le Falconer held half a fee of Maud de Boyland, and she of Phillip de Virlye, he of Hugh Bardolf, he of the Earl Warren, and the Earl of the King, at half a fee, the relief being 20s. as the Feudary informs us; this John was alive in 1283.
In 1302, they lived at Keninghall, were lords in 1315, and had added other lands in Herling and Keninghall, valued at the eighth part of a fee, which they held of Robert de Tateshall, as or Bokenham castle.
John Fawconer, whose wife Julian died before him in 1374, and he held her manors for life, by the courtesy of England, they having then no living issue; she was daughter and coheir of Tho. de Ormesby; her sisters were to inherit her manors at her husband's death: sc. Gunnora, married to Perers, (fn. 4) and had John Perers, who had one daughter only, Elizabeth, married to Sir Tho. de Narford, Knt.; Elen, her other sister, married, and had two daughters, Agnes, married to Snecke, and Alice to Derling.
It was soon after in the Gonviles, but how it came to them I know not; the Falconers lived first at Keninghall, and afterwards in the manor-house, which laid between Keninghall and Herling, and is now called Hill-Herling, or Gelding Hall.
The Herlings were a family of great antiquity in this parish, from which they received their names; I find them mentioned in divers evidences without date, as Walter de Eastherling, and Ralph his son, John de Herling, and Odo his son, who gave a rood of land to the canons at Thetford; but as none of them were concerned in the lordship before John de Herling, about 1350, I shall begin with him in the following pedigree.
In 1360, John de Herling had free-warren allowed him in this manor, and those of Quidenham, Gnateshall, Newton, and Corton in Lothingland; in 1367, he settled this manor and advowson, Quidenham manor and advowson, the manor of Gnatshall, manors in both Bokenhams, Croxton and Rothynghall manor in Brettenham, on Thomas Heyward, master of Rushworth college, and other feoffees; he was a good soldier, and most expert manager of maritime affairs, upon which account, in 1342, he had the custody of the sea-water at Bristol, during the King's pleasure. He was buried in the church of St. Peter and Paul at East-Herling, (in Herling's chapel,) according to his will, in which he ordered his best horse to be led before his corpse to the grave, as his principal or mortuary for the priest. He died seized of the aforesaid manors, with those of Long-Stratton, and many others, leaving them all to his eldest son and heir,
Sir John de Herling, Knt. who, in 1389, settled on his mother, then wife of Sir John Tuddenham, Bornes, Snape, and Sturmine Hall manors in Long-Stratton, the advowson of St. Mary's chapel in Waketon, and St. Mary's church in Stratton, and Rothynghall in Brettenham. He married Cecily, daughter and coheir of Tho. Mortimer of Attleburgh, Knt. who survived him, and after married John Ratcliff, Esq. son of Sir John Ratcliff, Knt.; she brought a great estate to the Herlings; his brother Robert had an estate in Newton, and Corton, and Thomas, in Lounde in Lothingland. In 1374, he settled on George de Felbrigge, Knt. and other trustees, this, and Quidenham manors and advowsons, 51s. rent in Brettenham and Bokenham, the manors of Gnateshall and Corton, and others in Suffolk, all which were possessed by Cecily his widow, and after by John Ratcliff, her second husband, who, in 1440, held Newenham manor in Cambridge town, of the King in burgage, remainder to Sir Robert Herling, Knt. remainder to Anne his daughter and heir, married to Sir Will. Chamberlain.
Sir Robert Herling, Knt. was a great warriour in France in the time of that victorious prince King Henry V. whom he attended in 1412, at the siege of Meaux, (fn. 5) which they took by assault; and during the rest of his life he was continually exercising arms in that kingdom, where he died like a brave soldier, in his calling, being killed by the French at Paris, as he endeavoured valiantly to defend that city, in the year 1435; from whence he was brought and buried in St. Mary's chapel, (fn. 6) in St. Peter and Paul's church at East-Herling, under an altar tomb in the south wall, in which he founded a perpetual chantry, for his own and his ancestors' souls, Jane his wife being buried with him. She brought him Lirling manor and advowson, Rushworth manor, called Gonvile's, Fawconer's, and Maynwaryn's, all which, with 100 acres in Moringthorp, were held at 3 fees, of John Mowbray Duke of Norfolk, as of his manor of Forncet, and were settled on Oliver Groos, John Kirtling, clerk, and John Intwood, his trustees. At his death,
Sir William Chamberlain of Gedding in Suffolk, Knight of the Garter, a man of great renown, an able governor, and expert soldier, for during his being governor of Craill upon Oise in France, which in 1436 was besieged by the French, immediately after they had taken Paris, he behaved himself so bravely, that with 500 Englishmen only, he issued out of the town, discomfited his enemies, slew 200 of them, and took a great number prisoners. (fn. 7) He and his wife, in 1457, settled nine marks annual rent, issuing out of Falconer's manor, on the chantry priests that officiated in Sir Rob. Herling's chapel; according to his will, he is buried in a fine arched monument, with his wife, on the north side of this chancel, leaving much to Elizabeth Trussell, his sister, by his will dated Mar. 3, 1461, and proved in this church 21 April, 1462. Her second husband was
Sir Robert Wingfield, Knt. second son to Sir John Wingfield of Letheringham in Suffolk, and Elizabeth Fitz-Lewes his wife; he was Comptroller of the Household to King Edward IV. a man of great interest at court; in 1474, the King granted him a charter for a weekly market every Tuesday, at his manor of East-Herling, and two fairs every year, to last three days each, viz. one on the vigil, day, and morrow, of St. George the Martyr, and another on the vigil, day, and morrow of St. Edward; (fn. 8) and the same year, he and Anne his wife, settled the manors of East-Herling, Fawconer's, Quidenham, Welham's, and Reyse's in Long-Stratton; Long-Stratton manor, Bernham-Broom, Bekeriston, Stanford, the advowsons of Herling and Quidenham, of Rushworth and Attleburgh colleges, and of Herling's chantry in Norfolk, of Gnateshall, Corton, Newton, Lownde, and Blundeston, with Lownde advowson in Suffolk; the manors of Newnham Mortimer's, Foxton and Gonvile's in Cambridgeshire, with other large estates, on themselves and their trustees, Edward Bishop of Carlisle, Sir John Wingfield, Sir John Heveningham, Sir Henry Grey, Knts. Edmund Bokenham, Henry Spelman, William Berdwell, junior, Thomas Chamberlain, and others, of all which, together with Gonvile's manor in Wimondham, Little Bittering, and Rothyng-hall in Brettenham, he died seized in 1480, after which she married to
John Lord Scroop of Bolton, her third husband, in 1492, who died in 1494, and was buried in the Black Friars' church at Thetford, according to his will, which ordered that he should be there buried, if he died at Herling, as he did, July 12, in this year,
Anne his wife surviving him; she was a lady remarkable for her gifts to many religious foundations; she gave Lirling manor and advowson, and Gonvile's in Rushworth, to that college, and obtained them a license of mortmain to purchase 40 marks a year; she settled the stipend of her father's chantry priest in this church, and founded the seventh fellowship in Gonvile Hall, in the year 1502, being then Lady Scroop; this she endowed with the manor of Newenham called Mortimer's, in Cambridge, with the watermill there, all which she gave for the maintenance of her fellow, who must be a priest, and of Norwich diocese: his stipend at the foundation was 8l. a year. She had a great value for this college, being daughter and heiress of Sir Robert Herling, by Jane, daughter and heiress of John Gonvile, Esq. descended in a direct line from Sir Nicholas Gonvile, Knt. brother to the founder; she was born in 1426, and was alive in 1502; but having no issue, her estate went to
The style of the court is Herling cum Membris, all the manors being now joined. The fines are at the lord's will; the eldest son is heir. The leet belongs to the hundred; the leet fee is 3s.; blanche-farm 10d.; castle-ward 14d.
The family of the Lovells being very numerous, and having been possessed of Berton Bendish for many generations, before they settled here, I shall treat of them at large under that town, and therefore shall confine myself to that branch only that had this manor.
Crest, a bundle of peacock's feathers proper, tied gul. Motto: vincit, qui patitur. (fn. 9)
Sir Thomas Lovell, Knight of the Garter, was an active man, in King Henry the Seventh's time; in 1485, when he was an esquire only, he was made Chancellor of the Exchequer for life, and the same year had an annuity of 40 marks, as Esquire to the King's body; in 1473, Henry Heydon, Esq. granted him an annuity of 20s. out of his manor of Snoryng-Parva, called Dorketty's, for his good counsel, that he had already, and should hereafter give him. He was first made Bannerct, and in 1487, was knighted, at the battle of Stoke, and afterwards installed Knight of the Garter; in 1502, he was Treasurer of the Household, and President of the Council; he was one of the executors to Henry the Seventh's will, Constable of the Tower, Surveyor of the Court of Wards, Steward and Marshal of the House to King Henry VIII; he built the Gate-house at Lincoln's Inn, and placed on it the King's arms, the Earl of Lincoln's, and his own, by which I imagine he had been of that society; he built EastHerling Hall, on the tower of which his arms still remain, and a brass bust of his own likeness, surrounded with the garter. He refounded Halliwell nunnery, near which he had a stately house, and dying at Enfield, May 25, 1524, was buried at Halliwell, in a fair chapel which he had built, on the south side of the choir of that church, under a tomb of white marble. This priory was dedicated to St. John the Baptist, being situate in Shoreditch parish by Norton Fald-gate, London, and being much decayed, was rebuilt, and an addition made to its endowment, by him, which occasioned the following verses to be inscribed on a wall of that house:
By his will, dated Oct. 14, 1522, proved Sept. 26, 1528, (fn. 10) he gave his manor-place at Enfield, called Elsings, (where he died,) to Tho. Mannors, now Lord Rosse; and to his cousin, Francis Lovell, all his manors and estates in East Herling, Bridgham, Gnateshall, Brunsell, Chosell, Bichamwell, Ashfield's in Bichamwell, Irenhall, Wyrenhall, Wrotton, Denver, Tirrington, Sporle and Pagrave, in Norfolk and Suffolk; and Tyde St. Giles in Lincolnshire; Burghwell, Badlingham, Harston, and Upware in Cambridgeshire; his manors in Wolley in Kent; his lands in Iseldon, Holwey, Edelineton, and Totenham in Middlesex; his tenements in Sandwich, Querington and Marsham in Kent; his manors of Dukelington, Cockthorp, and Fringeford in Oxfordshire; lands in Redlings, Berford, and Dounton in Wiltshire, to hold to the said Francis for life, remainder to Sir Thomas Lovell, son of Sir Francis, &c.; after Francis's death, the manors of Lome and Sibell's in Willingham, and Well's in West-Wyckham in Cambridgeshire, to go to the said Thomas, son of Sir Francis, for life, and to his heirs in tail: Edward, the brother of Francis, to have the moiety of Bassingbourne castle in Cambridgeshire for life, remainder to Francis and his heirs. His lady is buried in Enfield chancel, on the north side, under an altar tomb, with an inscription in brass, and Lovell and Muswell's arms quartered impaling Roos. He left Sir Francis Lovell his heir, who died Jan. 21, 1550; (fn. 11) Thomas, his son, being of age, inherited this manor and advowson, Rowdham manor, and the impropriate rectory, with the donation of the vicarage, and all the possessions that Sir Thomas, Knight of the Garter, gave to his father.
Gregory Lovell, Esq. was of that disposition, that he did all he could to ruin the estate, being too malicious against his half brother; and in order thereto, he let the manor-house almost down; and when he perceived his death grew near, married his servant, on purpose to keep his brother out of it for her life; he having liberty to jointure by the entail. He gave a personal estate of above 6000l. to see his will performed, to Sir John Buckworth, and Mr. Borret of Griston, his executors, from whom John Lovell, Esq. met with more kindness and generosity than from his brother, they being so just as to deliver up all the evidences, and whatever belonged to the estate, to him, without any disturbance, notwithstanding which, he was forced to sell it, having prevailed upon his son, the present  Mr. Lovell of Bokenham, (as I am informed,) to join with him in the sale.
1289, Will. de la Menewaryn, rector. (fn. 12)
1332, prid. id. Oct. William, son of Roger Bygot of Felbrigg, subdeacon. Simon Byoot of Felbrigge, this turn. In 1347, this William, called then William de Felbrigge, was both rector and patron by his brother's gift.
1414, Robert de Estgate, rector. (fn. 13)
1430, 7 Febr. Edmund Coupere, priest. (Master of Rushworth college) Sir William Berdewelle, Knt. John Fitz-Rauf, Esq. Oliver Groos, Esq. John Kirteling, clerk, Robert Palgrave, and John Intewood, Sir Rob. Herling's feoffees, in the manor and advowson. John Duke of Norfolk claimed a right, but did not proceed in it.
1448, 18 Oct. Laurence Gerard, priest, (fn. 14) on Couper's death. Sir John Fastolf, Knt. Sir Robert's feoffee.
1665, 3 May, Will. Denny, on Will. Rewse's death. Glover Denny of Raningham, Gent. this turn, by grant of Andrew Knivet, Knt. and Bart. and Alice his wife, and Gregory Lovell, Esq. of Herling, true patrons.
1720, 19 Dec. The Rev. Robert Wright, A.B. the present  rector, on Macro's resignation. Ditto. He is D.D. rector of Gnateshall in Suffolk, and of the sinecure rectory of Hackney, and prebendary in the church of Litchfield.
|King's Books.||Yearly Tenths.||Linc. Taxa.|
The Church is dedicated to St. Peter and Paul, and is a fine uniform building, having its nave, two isles, and south porch leaded, a square tower, with a spire thereon, and freestone ballisters instead of battlements; it was built by Sir William Chamberlain, as appears from the many blank shields, encompassed with the garter, cut on the stones, finished about 1449, but the bells were not put up till 1465. The greatest part of church, if not the whole, was rebuilt by that knight, the windows (as the arms and effigies in them discover) were finished by Sir Robert Wingfield, who married his widow, whose effigies, with that of his wife, still remain in this manner.
At the east end of the south isle is a chapel dedicated to the Virgin Mary, called Herling's chapel, it being the burial place of that family; Sir Robert Herling, Knt. (who rebuilt it) lies under an altar tomb in an arch in the south wall; he founded a chantry of one priest in this chapel, who was specially bound daily to pray for his and his wife Jane's souls, for the souls of Sir William Chamberlain, Knt. and Anne his wife, daughter and heiress of the said Robert, for John Herlyng and Cecily his wife, Robert's father and mother, and for John Herling his grandfather (all buried here:) in 1458, it was endowed by Sir Will. Chamberlain, and Anne his wife, with 9 marks annual rent, issuing out of Fawconer's manor, then worth 20 marks a year, according to Sir Robert's will, he ordered that if he died without heirs, then his manors of East Herling, Quidenham, with their advowsons, Bokenham Wood, and Gnateshall manor, should be settled for three chantry priests in this chapel; but if he left a daughter, then she was only obliged to settle a provision for one priest. It was not rated to any taxes whatever, but had institution in the same manner as the rectory.
The preamble to the King's license, which he granted to amortise the said rent, is very particular, for it says, that his Majesty granted this license to his faithful counsellor, Sir Wm. Chamberlain, Knt. without any fine or fee, in consideration of the great and eminent service he had done him in his kingdom of France, and dutchy of Normandy, in the war there, and in other places; and particularly for the great damage he and his family received, by paying his fine of redemption to the King's enemies of France, (who took him prisoner in 1446,) and also for the great value he had for Sir Robert Herling, the founder, who died in his service as he warred in France.
This Sir Robert Herling ordered in his will, (fn. 15) if he died in England, to be buried here, and so he was, though he died in the French wars at Paris; his effigies, with that of his wife, beautifully carved in marble, lie on the top of the altar tomb; on his breast are his own arms and those of Mortimer, his mother; he looks with a grim visage, his feet rest on a lion, the usual emblem of those that died in war; his lady hath a water-bouget on her breast, the whole tomb being adorned with unicorns and pelicans, the one the crest of Herling, the other of Gonvile; his arms are on the top, supported by two unicorns.
Saro Marmoreo tumulatur in hoc Doliandro, harlyng Robertus Miles, bir nobilis armis, Taus sua Francigenis, florebat cognita multis, Tandem Parisibus bi sucubuit mutilatus, T. quater et Mille, rrrb, cadit ille, Borgonii Festo, Septembre die quoque nono (fn. 16).
On the same side of this chapel is a stately tomb of different-coloured marble, encompassed with an iron grate; the statues of a man in armour, with a peacock's tail proper at his feet, and of a woman with two naked arms, holding a head erased, bearded and haired sab. lie on an altar tomb, under a canopy or bed of state, with this inscription:
Here lyeth buryed Sir Thomas Lovell, Knt. Son and Heir of Sir Thomas Lovell, Knt. and Dame Alice his Wife, Daughter of Sir John Huddilston, Knt. he died the 12th Day of Dec: 1604, in the Year of his Age 64, and she dyed the 1st Daye of September 1600, in the Yeare of her Age 64; they had Issue 5 Sons and 3 Daughters, whereof 2 Sonns and one Daughter dyed in their Infancy, 3 Sonns, viz. Sir Francis Lovell, Knt. Charles Lovell, and William Lovell, Esqrs. over-lived them, and 2 Daughters were married in their Life-time, viz. Katheryn, first to Sir Tho: Knevet of Bukenham-Castle, Knt. 2dly, to Edward Spring, and 3dly, to Edward Downes, Esqrs. and Elinor to Edward Waldegrave, Son and Heire apparant of Charles Waldegrave of Stanning-Hall, Esq. (fn. 17)
Olim qui Cubuit, jacet hic cum Conjuge Conjux Hic Illa dubium est, hoc sit an illa Prior, Sive Illa, sive hoc, (si demas hunc modo et illam) Haud Prior (indubium est) alt'ra vel alter erat, Atria dum titulis proavitis splendida Uterque, Et Longâ serie stemmata nexa tulit, Largus opum, nec decoctor, plebi Hospitus, almus Pauperi, uterque homini carus, uterque Deo, Ille animi Prudens, et Magnus, Doctus, et Artem Quamve Sacer Codex, Quamve profanus habet, Jura Tori rité hæc coluit, pia, provida Virgo, Virgo pudica, Pudens, Virgo probata, proba, Cum jam Prole beati Essent, prolemque beassent, Qua Locupletando, qua poliendo suam, Octavo hoc Lustro dirimit mors, dividit Urna, Jungit at hos Tumulus, Jungit et hosce polus.
In a south window were the portraitures of a man in armour kneeling, in long gray hair, having on his surcoat the arms of Chamberlain, with a label; and opposite to him a woman kneeling; between them were these arms:
On the south side of the chancel wall, towards the east end, is a stone mural monument, on which Lovell, and Muswell joined per fess impale Paris, gul. three unicorns heads cooped proper, in a bordure ingrailed. Lovell's crest.
Here lieth buried Syr Thomas Lovel Knyght, and Dame Elizabeth his Wyfe whiche lived together in Godly Mariage 29 Yeares, and hadde Yssue, 9 Sonnes and 6 Daughters, the sayd Sir Thomas decessed in the Year of our Lord God 1567, the 23 of March, and Dame Elizabeth decessed in the Yeare of our Lord God, 1591, the last of Marche.
More west, in the north wall, is a most stately arched monument, disrobed of its brasses, under which lie buried Sir William Chamberlain, Knight of the Garter, and Anne his wife, daughter and heiress of Sir Robert Harlyng; this divides the chancel from St. Anne's chapel, which was founded by his lady, and dedicated to her namesake: the tomb fronts both into the chancel and into the chapel, the chancel side being adorned with his arms, &c. and the chapel's side with her's; in the arch is carved Chamberlain's arms quartering Tiptoft, which is again cut on the side of' the monument next the chancel, with mantle, crest, and supporters. Crest, a cameleopard's head cooped. The supporters two beasts of the same kind.
Anne Lady Scroop of Bolton, by will dated 1498, Aug. 28, bequeathed her body to be buried in the chapel of St. Anne, adjoining to the chancel of St. Peter and Paul, at East-Herling, in the tomb of her late husband, Sir William Chamberlayn; (fn. 18) she gave to the Austin friars at Thetford, where her great-grandame, Margaret Tuddenham, daughter of Sir Thomas Jenny, was buried, together with dame Isabel Hargrave, her daughter, a vestment, and other gifts, to Robert Wingfield her nephew, Lord Scroop, her son, &c.
That here were their two effigies, and that the garter was on his left leg; and though Mr. Ashmole says, that Fitz-William's tomb was the oldest, that had it so placed, yet this is older. (fn. 19)
Marling Licite Dominus marite, Anna fuit Dicta, Ebristi mulier benedicta, Mundi diserti fuite Rarling nata Roberti, Militis digna, Mortimer de Stirpe benigna. E. quater er Mille Seraginta et tres cadit ille, Derpetuo festo, Deus illius memor esto.
Many of the memorials which were in this church are now lost; one account of them was taken by the Rev. Mr. Leverland, rector of Framlingham castle, in Suffolk, (a copy of whose MSS. I have by me,) and others by different persons, as Mr. Borret of Griston, Henry St. George, &c.
In this church is buried Elizabeth Trussell, sister to Sir William Chamberlain, who died the last of April, 1472; (fn. 20) but the four shields and inscription were lost before these accounts were taken.
Charles Wright, Esq. lately glazed the east chancel window with ancient glass that he found in his house, which formerly came out of this window, and contains the principal passages of the New Testament, from our Saviour's incarnation to his crucifixion.
In 1479, Robert Smith was buried in the church, in which there were then four gilds kept, viz. of the Holy Trinity, St. Peter, AllSaints, and St. John Baptist. The lights of St. Mary and St. Sithe were sustained by the benefactions of different people, as I find by the wills in the Bishop's Office.
In 1511, the Gildhall Croft belonged to the inhabitants. (fn. 21)
In 1510, Rob. Banham, purchased of Will. Banham, a messuage and 6 acres of free land in East-Herlinge, held of East-Herling manor by 8d. a year, to find a wax candle burning before the image of the Virgin Mary in that church. In 1470, at a court then held, it is said, that John Robards died seized of it, and that John, his son and heir, was a scholar in orders; that formerly it was copyhold, but was now held free of the church, the lord's ancestors having perpetually pardoned the fine and rents, in honour of the Blessed Virgin. This year it was conveyed to John Aylward, rector, and other feoffees of the parish.
Stephen de Gissing and Lucy Manewaryn his wife, for 26s. in hand paid, by deed dated on St. Dunstan's day, in 1283, (fn. 22) released to Simon Manewaryn and his heirs, all manner of actions that they might bring against him, for not building her houses in Herling, that she was to have had built for her, in lieu of part of her dower; and they bound themselves, their heirs, and executors, in 60s. penalty, that no such action should be brought, and subjected themselves to the Bishop of Norwich, or his Official, in this case, who should excommunicate them if the penalty was not paid; further obliging themselves to pay 100s. towards the relief of the Holy-Land, if ever any such action was brought; and to confirm it, they promised it before Sir Will. de Crungethorp, Knt. Master Elias Aliuue Cherche, rector of East-Herling, Sir Geffry de Gerbaudesham, chaplain, and others. I could not omit taking notice of this deed, the penalties being remarkable.
The market is on Tuesdays and not on Thursdays, as the Atlas, and the late Description of the Diocese of Norwich (which is chiefly a transcript from thence) tell you, though it is right, as to its being chiefly for linen yarn, and cloth, the manufacture of this part of the county.