An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 1. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1805.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Received its name from the number of bucks with which the woods here formerly abounded, Bucham, Bukham, and Bukenham, being plainly the village of bucks, and not of beech trees, as Mr. Camden imagined, (fn. 1) there being none of them in this county, as Sir Henry Spelman, righly observes; (fn. 2) and the additional title of Old was afterwards added, to distinguish it from New-Bukenham, which was taken out of it.
Ralf Guader Earl of Norfolk owned the whole town (except the carucate which belonged to Bury abbey) in the Confessor's time, when there were 3 carucates in demean, and woods sufficient to maintain 182 swine, 21 socmen of his own, and 43 that were under the protection of other men, all which the Earl joined to his manor. In the Conqueror's time it was worth 6l. 13s. 4d. and two sextaries of honey; and when all was joined, it was risen to 32l. 13s. 4d. and 20s. as a present or gift; it was two miles long and as much broad, and paid 19d. geld or tax out of every 20s. raised on the hundred. (fn. 3) This Earl fled the realm, and so forfeited all his estate to the Conqueror, who owned it at the survey, when it was one of his manors that he entrusted Earl Goderic with the management of. At this time there were only two parishes, viz. All-Saints and St. Andrew's, and a castle which stood just by the abbey. The land on which New-Bukenham was after built was that part of St. Andrew's parish which belonged to the Bishop of Thetford's manor of Eccles, and was Called Bishop's-Haugh, the tithes of which now are, and always were, paid to the rector of Eccles, the land belonging to that manor originally, and the Bishop granting them to the domestick chaplain of his palace at Eccles, to whom he generally gave that rectory.
Albini. The Conqueror gave the castle and manor, and all that belonged to Earl Ralf, to William de Albany, Albini, Albigni, de Albenio, (fn. 4) who came into England with him, together with Wymondham, Snetesham, and Kenningkall, (fn. 5) to be held by the service of being butler to the Kings of England on the day of their coronation, (fn. 6) for which reason he was always styled Pincerna Regis, or the King's Butler; he founded Wymondham abbey, where he was buried, before the high altar, by Maud his wife, daughter of Roger Bygot Earl of Norfolk, with whom he had 10 knights fees in Norfolk, of Earl Roger's gift; he was son of Roger de Albini, by Amy de Molbray his wife, and brother to that famous Nigell de Albini, whose posterity assumed the name of Mowbray, or Molbray, from that of his mother. (fn. 7)
William, his eldest son, succeeded him; he was called William with the strong hand, because among other valiant exploits, he slew a fierce lion; the occasion was thus, as Mr. Dugdale relates it: " It happened that the Queen of France, being then a widow, and a very beautiful woman, became much in love with a knight of that country, who was a comely person, and in the flower of his youth; and because she thought that no man excelled him in valour, she caused a tournament to be proclaimed throughout her dominions, promising to reward those who should exercise themselves therein, according to their respective merits; and concluding, that if the person whom she so well affected, should act his part better than others, in those military exercises, she might marry him without any dishonour to herself.
Hereupon divers gallant men, from foreign parts, hasting to Paris, among others came this our William de Albini, bravely accoutred, and in the tournament excelled all others, overcoming many, and wounding one mortally with his launce; which being observed by the Queen, she became exceedingly enamoured of him, and forthwith invited him to a costly banquet, and afterwards bestowing certain jewels upon him, offered him marriage. But having plighted his troth to the Queen of England, then a widow, refused her: whereat she grew so discontented, that she consulted with her maids, how she might take away his life; and in pursuance of that design, enticed him into a garden, where there was a secret cave, and in it a fierce lion, into which she descended by divers steps, under colour of shewing him the beast. And when she told him of his fierceness, he answered, that it was a womanish and not manly quality, to be afraid thereof, but having him there, by the advantage of a folding door, thrust him in to the lion. Being therefore in this danger, he rolled his mantle about his arm, and putting his hand into the mouth of the beast, pulled out his tongue by the root; which done he followed the Queen to her palace, and gave it to one of her maids, to present to her.
Returning therefore into England, with the fame of this glorious exploit, he was forthwith advanced to the Earldom of Arundell, and for his arms the lion given him; nor was it long after, that the Queen of England accepted him for her husband, whose name was Adeliza, or Alice, widow to King Henry I. and daughter to Godfrey, Duke of Lorrain, which Adeliza had the castle of Arundell, and county, in dowry from that King." (fn. 8) And in the beginning of King Henry the Second's time, he not only obtained the castle and honour of Arundell to himself and his heirs, but also a confirmation of the Earldom of Sussex, (fn. 9) granted to him by the third penny of the pleas of that county, which in ancient times was the usual way of investing such great men in the possession of any earldom, after those ceremonies of girding with the sword, and putting on the robes, were performed, which have ever, till of late, been thought essential to their creation. In the time of King Stephen he founded the abbey here, and built the present castle, as you may see in the accounts of them; and dying in 1176, was buried by his father at Wymondham.
William de Albini, his eldest son, Earl of Arundell, became lord at his father's death, and paid 100l. for his relief, for his estate in Norfolk; he married Maud, daughter and heiress of James de Sancto Hillario, and dying at Waverley in 1176, was buried at Wymondham.
William de Albini, or Albany, Earl of Arundell and Sussex, his son, succeeded; he married Mabell, daughter of Hugh Kiviliock Earl of Chester, by whom he had two sons and four daughters, William and Hugh, both Earls of Sussex; he died in 1199, and was buried at Wymondham.
William de Albany, Earl of Arundell and Sussex, son of William aforesaid, and Mabell his wife, died in his return from Damieta in Palestine, anno 1221, and was brought over into England by Thomas, a monk of St. Albans, and buried by his ancestors at Wymondham abbey, leaving his brother,
Hugh de Albany Earl of Arundel and Sussex, his heir, (fn. 10) whom Hugh de Burgh, Chief Justice of England, had the custody of, which he assigned to William Earl Warren, who in his right served King Henry III. at his nuptials, with the royal cup, the said Hugh being then a youth, and not knighted; he married Isabel, daughter of the said Earl Warren, who, after his death, founded the nunnery of Marham, at her own charge, out of her dowry, and died in 1242, without issue, (fn. 11) leaving his great inheritance to be divided among his four sisters, his heiresses, (fn. 12) and was buried with his ancestors in the abbey church of St. Mary at Wymondham, Isabel his widow having the manors of Wimondham and Kenninghall assigned for her maintenance, till her dowry was set out, which was done soon after, and the manors of Snetesham, Wimondham, Plesset, and Kenninghall, with the hundred of Giltcross in Norfolk, besides many others in other connties, were allotted to her. (fn. 13)
Robert de Tateshale, and Mabell (fn. 14) his wife, who was the eldest, had the castle and manors of Bukenham, Wimondham, &c. for their capital seat.
Roger ee Montealt, who married Cecily, the second sister, had the castle of Rising, with the manors of Kenninghall, Snetesham, &c. for their principal seat; together with the hundred of Smithdon, and the fourth part of the tollbooth at Lynn, which was now divided into four parts, so that a fourth part attended each of the inheritances. And thus the castle and manor came to
Sir Robert de Tateshale, who made it his principal seat. He was descended from Eudo, who with Pinco, his sworn brother in War, (though no other way related,) came into England with Duke William, and merited so well from him in that service, that in recompense thereof he gave them the lordship of Tateshale, with Thorp hamlet, and Kirkeby town in Lincolnshire, to be equally shared between them; Eudo to hold his part of the King, and Pinco his of St. Cuthbert of Durham. Eudo settled at Tateshale, and assumed its name for his sirname. His arms were, chequy or and gul. a chief erm.; he was succeeded by Hugh his son, who founded Kirstead abbey in Lincolnhire. In 1139, Robert, his son, inherited, who left Philip, whose son, Sir Robert de Tateshale, was so great a benefactor to Bukenham priory, that the canons of that house altered their common seal, and put in his arms along with their founder's. Among other things, he gave the church of St. Martin in New-Bukenham, and half an acre of land in Gunneby, called Munkwell, with the advowson of the church of Gunneby, for a yearly pittance; (fn. 15) he left
Sir Robert de Tateshale, who married Mabell aforesaid,his son and heir, who granted to the canons here liberty of faldage for 200 sheep in Atleburgh, with free pasturage for them there, and 53 acres arable land in Bukenham, besides other gifts. In Lovell's Book in the Exchequer, (fn. 16) he is found to hold this castle and manor by the service of the botelry, and the manors of Babingle, Tibenham, Topcroft, and Denton, in capite, as parcel of his barony. After Mabell's death he married a daughter of John De-Grey, and died in 1248, leaving
Robert, his son and heir, then 26 years old, who married Joan, daughter of Ralf Fitz-Ranulf, lord of Midlcham in Yorkshire. He stood firm to Henry III. in his barons wars, and was besieged in his castle of Bukenham by Sir Henry Hastyngs. He died in 1272, seized of Bukenham manor and castle of Tibenham, Topcroft, Denton, &c. with all the knights fees held of the lordship or honour, together with the advowsons of Reydon, Stanhow, Congham St. Mary, and two parts of Atleburgh, of Wimondham abbey, the fourth part of Lynn tolbooth, &c. leaving
Sir Robert de Tateshale, bis son and heir, then 24 years old, who, in 1285, had view of frankpledge, free-warren, and gallows, and a Saturday market, assize of bread and ale, and a fair yearly on St. Martin's Day, and another market every Thursday in Attleburgh, belonging to his manor of Bukenham castle, and Plassing Hall in Besthorp. In an old roll about this time, it appears that there were many manors held by knight's service of this castle, and among the free tenants by scutage were these, Sir William de Montecaniso, Giles de Wachesham, Knt. Sir Harvy de Stanhaw, Sir William Cumyn, Sir Richard de Quatefeld, the lady Lora de Bayliol, the heirs of Simon de Keninghall, Ralf de Morley, Richard de Snittertone, Sir Robert de Sheltone, John de Berdewelle.
William and John de Hargham, Richard, son of Will. de Snitterton, Tho. de Ascheby, held lands in Hargham by soccage, and so did Richard de Lirling, and Sir Will. de Lirling's heirs; John de Methellond in Lirling, Roger de Caston in Ellingham, Will. and Richard de Mortimer, Peter de Thelvetham, William, son of Will. de Fossato, in Attleburgh, &c. In 1283, he was lord of the castle and manor of Bukenham, the manor of Lathes in Old-Bukenham, the burgage, and the court belonging to the weekly market in New Bukenham, the manors of Wimondham, Topcroft, Denton, Tibenham, Freebridge hundred, &c. and died in 1297, leaving his estate to
Sir Robert, (fn. 17) his son and heir, then 24 years old, married to Eve, daughter of Robert de Tibetot, who, after his decease, married to Sir John de Cove, and held Shropham hundred, Topcroft and Denton manors, in dower, till 1349. He died in 1302, leaving
Joan, Sir Robert (fn. 18) de Dryby, Knt.
Thomas (fn. 19) de Caily, (fn. 20) son of Sir Osbert, had livery of his mother's inheritance in 1306, when he had Bukenham castle, and the advow son of the priory there, the fourth part of the manor, and the half parts of other manors thereto belonging, two parts of Wimondham, the fourth part of all the lands in Atleburgh, and the third part of those in Tibenham, the third part of two parts of the fourth part of the profits of Lynn tolbootb called the Green Garth, and 11l. 2s. yearly rent in Norfolk; all of which, together with Cranwich, EastBradenham, Hildeburgworth or Hilburgh, the advowson of Hilburgh church, and of St. Margaret's free chapel there, he died seized in 3316, leaving Adam, son of Sir Roger de Clifton, by Margaret, his only sister, his cousin and heir, then nine years old.
Joan de Driby had the castle of Tatshale, &c. and the 8th part of Bukenham manor, the third part of Wimondham, 150 acres of land, several parcels of meadow and pasture, 7s. ob. rent, and the rent of two sparrow or sparhawks, in Old and New-Bukenham, Atleburgh, and Elingham, and a third part of the hundred of Shropham, which was then divided, and each had an equal share attending their inheritances, all which this Joan, then widow of Robert de Driby, settled on
Gilbert de Bernak, parson of Tateshale, and John de Gislingham, parson of Wolfreton, her trustees, who were to bold it for her use during her life, remainder to William Bernak and Alice his wife, who died about 1340, seized of the third parts of Wimondham and Bukenham, manors, and the third part of Plassing Hall or Plesset's, in Atleburgh and Besthorp.
In 1340, the aforesaid Hugh (fn. 21) Bernak, clerk, died, when he held Old-Bukenham part, for life, by feoffment from Alice Bernak, and John, son of William Bernak, remainder to John and his heirs, who died in 1345, seized of the whole manors of Hetherset, Denton, and Plassing Hall, and the third part of Wymondham, and Bukenham, and this year Joan his widow was allowed her dower out of all the said manors; but soon after it was settled wholly on particular manors. John Bernak, his eldest son, died a minor, leaving his inheritance to William, his brother and heir, who died in 1359, leaving Maud, his sister, then wife of Sir Ralf de Cromwell, lord of Tateshale, his sole heir.
John de Orreby, and Isabel his wife, had among others, the manor of Tibenham in Norfolk, (except the third part of the park, which Tho. de Caily held, in part of his portion,) and the eighth part of Bukenham manor, in recompense of the eighth part of the parks of Bukenham, which was assigned to the said Thomas, and the eighth part of the lands in Attleburgh, viz. 19 messuages, &c. in Attleburgh, Bukenham, Besthorp, Elyngham, aud Tybenham. Phillip de Orreby was their son and heir, whose son, John de Orreby, died in 1352, leaving Margaret his widow, who died in 1368, and Joan de Orreby, his sole daughter and heiress, who married first to Sir Henry Percy, who died in 1367, and after to Sir Constantine Clifton; she had one daughter, Mary Piercy, her sole heiress, who was married to Sir John Roos of Hamlak, Knt. without issue, but died before her mother.
In 1360, Sir Ralf Cromwell, Knt. in right of Maud Bernak, his wife, became lord of the manors of Hethersete, Plassinghall in Besthorp, Denton, &c. all which (except Hetherset (fn. 22) were held of the King in capite, as parcel of the barony of Taleshall; he had his parts of Bukenham, Wymundham, and Shropham hundred, for which he did homage to the King, and had livery thereof, to him and his heirs by Maud. In 1394, a writ was directed to John Knevet, escheator of Norfolk, to divide the lands, and deliver seizin to Constantine de Clifton, and Maud, wife of Sir Ralf Cromwell, Knt. cousins and heirs of Mary, widow of John Lord Roos of Hamlak, daughter and heir of Joan, daughter and heir of John de Orreby. In 1395, he had the fourth part of Lathes manor, two parts of Gryshaugh in Wymondham, and the parts of the manors of Old and New-Bukenham, Tybenham, &c. as they were divided by their ancestors. This Ralf died in 1398, Maud his widow died in 1418, leaving Ralf (fn. 23) (after Lord Cromwell) her grandson and heir, he being son of Ralf, who died in his father's lifetime; he was after Lord Treasurer, but having no issue by Margaret, daughter of John, and sister and coheir of William Lord Deincourt, his wife, at his death in 1455, his three aunts (fn. 24) became his heirs, viz. Elizabeth, married to Sir John Clifton; Hawise, to Thomas Lord Bardolph; and Maud; to John Fitz-Williams; and they inherited his whole estate, viz. Plasset, or Plassinghall manor, which is a member of Bukenham manor, Bukenham, the fourth part of Lyn tolbooth, the advowsons of Attleburgh, Congham, St. Agnes, and St Mary, Stanhow, Denton, and Tasboro, the manors of Herdesete, Wymundham, Gonvyle's in Wymundham, Besthorp, Eccles, Tibenham, Denton, Babingle, &c. He was buried in his collegiate church of Tateshale.
And now we must return to the Cliftons, who all along held the castle, and the best part of the manor, from the year 1316, when Adam, (fn. 25) son of Sir Roger de Clifton, by Margaret, only sister to Sir Tho. de Caily, became his heir; he married Eleanor, daughter of Sir Robert Mortimer of Attleburgh, Knt. who died in 1366, and had two sons; Constantine, his eldest, died before him, but left issue by Katherine, daughter of Wm De-la-pole, his wife; Sir John Clifton, Knt. Sir Adam de Clifton, Knt. his second son, who had Denvcre, and Frebridge hundred, &c. to him and his heirs male, died anno 1411, leaving Sir Robert Clifton, Knt. his son and heir, who was sheriff of Norfolk in 1412,and died in 1442, (fn. 26) and was buried in Bukenham priory, as was Alice, his widow, in 1455; Thomas Clifton, Esq. their son and heir, died in 1452; Joan, his widow, was alive in 1462; they left Sir Robert Clifton, Knt. (fn. 27) their son and heir, who died without issue male in 1490, and his estate went to Sir William Knevet, Knt. son of Sir John, and grandson of Sir John Knevet, who married Elizabeth, sister, and at length heiress, to Sir John Clifton, the last male of the elder branch, to which we must now return.
Sir John Clifton, Knt. of Bukenham castle in 1373, had livery of all his lands, as heir to Sir Adam de Clifton, his grandfather; he was summoned to parliament from 1375 to 1388, when he died, on St. Lawrence's Day, at Rhodes, seized of Bukenham castle and manors, Hilburghworth, West Bradenham, and Cranwyse, with the advowsons of Hilburgh and Cranwyse, and the manor of Babyngle, &c. leaving Constantine, his son and heir, then 16 years old. He married Elizabeth, one of the heirs of Ralf Lord Cromwell, by which match that part of Bukenham, &c. which she had for her share, united again; she outlived him, and married Sir Edward Bensted.
Constantine, their son and heir, had livery of his inheritance in
1393, and was summoned to parliament in that and the next year,
but never after; (fn. 28) he married Katherine, daughter of Robert Lord
Scales, by Margaret, daughter of Robert Howard of East-Winch, who
outlived him, and held in dower, till 1432, fin which year she died,)
the manor of Babyngle, two parts of Gryshaugh in Wymoudham, Bukenham, Lathes manor, the profits of the court at Attleburgh, the court
of the market at New-Bukenham, and the part of Lyn tolbooth, all
which at her death joined to the rest of the estate, in their son and heir,
Sir John Clifton (fn. 29) of Bukenham castle Knt. who died in 1447, seized of Bukenham castle, and the greater parts of the manors thereto belonging, of the hundred of Shropham, the manor of Briston, Grishagh, Topcroft, Denton, Babingle, Hilboro, Cranwich, West Bradenham, a third part of Becon's manor, &c. by his will, proved in 1447, Sept. 8, he ordered to be buried in the church of St. Mary at Wymondham priory, and gave to the high altar of the church of St Martin at New-Bukenham, 40s. and 10 marks to repair the church; to the gild of the Blessed Virgin in that church, 10 marks; to Guy, his gentleman, 100s.; to John Fader, 2s. a day for his life, out of Bukenham castle manor, to keep the park; to Joan his wife, his manor of Burston in fee simple, (fn. 30) the castle of Bukenham, Lathes manor, Shropham hundred, and Tibenham manor, to her for life; and orders his executors to perform the will of Constantine Clifton, as to settling 10l. a year rent on Bukenham priory; he also gave 10l. annual rent to the Prior of Wymondham, out of his own lands, to find a monk for ever to sing for his and Joan his wife's soul. He gave Grishagh manor in Wymondham, the manors of Babingle and Wolferton in Norfolk, and Walderton manor in Sussex, and other lands and tenements of his own purchase, to be sold, &c. the manors of Hilboro, Cranewich, and West Bradenham, to be held by his executors twelve years, and then to go to his right heirs; Robert Clifton, his cousin, to have the manor of Topcroft cum Denton to him and his heirs, on condition he made a free estate to his executors in his manors of Hankers in Harleston, and Shelley, one of which was to be sold by his executors, and the other to go to his heirs, according to the change agreed on between them; John Briggs to have an annuity out of Linford manor, and the refusal of buying it; Joan his wife, John Heydon, John Brigge, &c. executors; his good lord the Marquis of Suffolk, Sir Andrew Ogard, Knt. and his cousin Thomas Tuddenham, supervisors; and by a codicil he declares, that he had sold to his beloved son, Sir Andrew Ogard, Knt. for 3000 marks, the castle, manors, and hundred of Shropham, two parts of Grishagh, &c. on condition to find a chaplain in the conventual church of St. James at Old-Bukenham, according to the will of Constantine Clifton, Esq. his father, for which he was to amortise lands to that value; (fn. 31) he also gave 20s. towards the building of Wymondham new steeple. Joan his wife was daughter and coheir of Sir Edmund de Thorp, Knt. the younger, of Ashwell-Thorp, and widow of Sir Rob. Echingham; they had only one daughter, viz.
Margaret Clifton, who married Sir Andrew Ogard (fn. 32) of Bukenham castle, Knt.; she died issueless, before her father; Sir Andrew died in 1454, and the whole estate reverted to
Elizabeth, aunt to the said Margaret, who married Sir John Knevet, Knt.; but yet, in 14.39, Alice, first widow of Sir Andrew Ogard, Knt. then of Sir Hugh Cokessey of Cokessey in Worcestershirc, held the castle and manors, and those of Lathes, New-Bukenham, Honyngham, Tybenham, and Wylby, two parts of Grisagh, Bromley, and Bokham in Surrey, to her death in 1460.
John Fitz-Williams, lord of Elmly and Spotsburgh in Yorkshire, married Maud, one of the heiresses of Ralf Lord Cromwell, and in her right had a third part of the third part of the manor; they left Sir John Fitz-Williams their son and heir, who married Eleanor, daughter of Sir Henry Green of Drayton in Northamptonshire, whose son, Sir John Fitz-Williams of Elmley, married Margaret, daughter of Tho. Clavel the elder of Aldwark, whose son, Will. Fitz-Williams of Elmley, married Elizabeth, daughter of Tho. Chaworth, whose son, John Fitz-Williams, senior, married Elizabeth, daughter of Sir John Conyers, Knt. of Stockton in the county of Durham; John Fitz-Williams, Esq. their son, died in 1487, before his father, and left by Elizabeth, daughter of Richard Fitz-Williams, his wife, one son, William Fitz-Williams of Elmley, Esq. (fn. 33) who married Margaret, daughter of Sir Rob. Broughton, and dying without issue in 1516, left his two aunts his heirs, Margaret married to Tho. Southill of Southill Hall in Yorkshire, who had one daughter, Elizabeth, married to Sir Henry Savile of Thornhill in Yorkshire; and Dorothy, to Sir Will. Cropley of Sportsburgh, Knt. by whom he had Phillip Cropley; but as the chief, if not all this part, was united to the other, by different purchases, it will be needless to trace their descendants any further, the whole being united in the Knevets.
Sir John Knevet, Knt. of Bukenham castle, Norfolk, married Elizabeth, sister, and at length heiress, of Sir John Clifton, Knt. and, in 1461, held the castle and manors of Old and New-Bukenham, Lathes, two parts of Grishaugh in Wymondham, &c.; he was son of John de Knevet, Esq. by Joan, daughter and coheir of John Buttetort of Mendlesham in Suffolk, and grandson to Sir John Knevet, Knt. Lord Chancellor of England in 1371. He left
Sir John Knevet of Bukenham castle, Knt. his son and heir, who married Alice, daughter and coheir of Will. Lynnes, by whom he had Sir William Knevet of Bukenham castle, Knt. who, in 1483, was attainted by the name of Sir Will. Knevet, Knt. of Bukenham, conjurer, together with the Earl of Richmond, John Earl of Oxford, &c. in the parliament summoned the 25th Jan. 1st Richard III. as being partakers with Henry Earl of Richmond, (afterwards Henry VII.) which cost him a good part of his estate, for he conveyed to that King his castle and manor of Bukenham, the manors of Old-Bukenham, Carleton, and Tibenham, which he had again, when that monster was taken off; and then also he was forced to convey to Sir James Tirretl, that King's great favourite, and then Constable of the Tower, his manors of Hilboro, and two parts of Grishaugh in Wyndham. In 1491, he was found to be cousin and heir to Sir Robert Clifton, Knt. being then 51 years old. He had three wives; first, Alice, daughter of John Grey, brother of Reginald Lord Grey of Ruthyn, and widow of Nicholas Gibson, sheriff of London; his second was Joan, daughter of Humphry Stafford Duke of Buckingham; she was living in Richard the Third's time, and was called Lady Beaumont; the third was Joan, daughter of Tho. Courtney, relict of Sir Roger Clifford, Knt. one of the sisters and coheirs of Tho. Courtney Earl of Devonshire, by whom he had no issue. By Alice his first wife he had
Edmund Knevet, his son and heir, who married Eleanor, daughter of Sir William, and sister of Sir James Tirrell, of Gipping in Suffolk, Knt.; he was unfortunately drowned, (fn. 34) but left several sons, of which Edmund Knevet, his second son, was serjeant-porter to King Henry VIII.; (fn. 35) he married Jane, daughter and sole heiress of John Bourchier, the last Lord Berners, from whom descended the Ashwellthorp family.
Sir Thomas Knevett of Bukenham castle, Knt. his eldest son, was Standard-bearer to King Henry VIII. of whom he got a grant of the priory at its dissolution, with its appurtenances in Old and NewBukenham, viz. St. Andrew's and All-Saint's churches, the Priory manor, &c. all which continued in the family till Sir Phillip Knevet sold them. He married Muriel, daughter of Tho. Howard Duke of Norfolk, relict of John Grey Viscount Lisle, by whom he left several children, Sir Henry Knevet, his third son, settled at Charlton in Wilts.
Sir Tho. Knevet of Bukenham castle, who married Catherine, daughter of Stanley Earl of Darby, and died Sept. 22, 1569. By his will, dated Sept. 8, 1569, he ordered to be buried in New-Bukenham church, in the same tomb in which Katherine his late wife lies, and gave to every one of his yeoman-waiters 40s.; to each of his servants, 20s. and ordered them to be maintained half a year after his death, that they might provide for themselves; he gave 40s. to repair the church; his manors of Mendlesham in Suffolk, and Hilboro in Norfolk, to descend to his next heir, which is for the whole and full third part of all his manors, to the intent that the Queen's Majesty may thereof be satisfied for her wardships, &c.; but if they will not do, the rest must be out of his manor of Bukenham. He settled OldBokenham manors and castle, the burgage of New-Bukenham, Lathes, Tatersall's manor in Carleton, Tybenham manor, the little park, or Cromwell's Park in Wyndham, Bukenham Close manor, the parsonages of All-Saints and St. Andrew's, the priory with its appurtenances, &c. according to the statute of the 32d of Henry VIII. which allows a man to assign two-thirds of all his manors, for advancement of his children, on his executors, during the minority of his eldest son, to pay his debts, and raise 2000l. to buy manors with, to settle on Henry, his second son, in fee simple, with whom he ordered 20l. per annum should be paid to the master and fellows of Corpus Christi college in Cambridge, to bring him up till 18 years old, and then the executors are to pay him 40l. a year, till the manors are settled when he is of age. He gave the lease which he had of Hilburgh parsonage, of the grant of Richard Coggell, parson there, to his two brothers, Henry and Antony Knevet, Esqrs. with the two next turns of that benefice, and his ewe-course in Attleborough; to Oliver Mellynge his servant, the next turn of Mendlesham vicarage. Henry Knevet and Edmund his brother, Henry his son, and Tho. Knevet, his eldest son, Roger Wodehouse of Kimburle, Esq. Francis Thursbye of Congham, Esq. Francis Gawdye of Wellington, Esq. and Robert Rogers of Colton, Gent. executors; Thomas Duke of Norfolk, Edward Earl of Darby, Thomas Earl of Sussex, and Henry Lord Morley, supervisors. Henry Knevet, Esq. Gregory and Robert Buxton, Gents. &c. witnesses. (fn. 36) He left
Sir Thomas, his son, then 3 years 10 months and 2 weeks old, who married Catherine, daughter of Sir Tho. Lovell of East-Herling, who after married Edward Spring, and after that George Downe of Little Melton, Esq. by whom she had issue. He died Sept. 26,1594, leaving
Sir Phillip Knevet (fn. 37) of Bukenham castle, his son and heir, then 11 years, 4 months, and 22 days old; he was sheriff of Norfolk in 1650, created Baronet June 29, 1611, and for 18,508l. 10s. (fn. 38) he sold to Hugh Audley and his heirs the castle and priory of Old-Bukenham, the manors of Old-Bukenham, viz. the castle manor, Lathes, alias Laches, the Priory, and the Close manors, the manor or burgage of New-Bukenham, Tatersall's, or Tibenham Hall, otherwise TibenhamKnevet's, otherwise Carleton-Rode, and the tithes of all the premises in Bukenham, by deed dated 25 June, 1649.
Hugh Audley aforesaid was sheriff of Norfolk, and dying without issue left three sisters; Elizabeth, married first to Stephen Peacock, and after to John Jennings; Alice, to Sebastian Beaufoy of London, Gent.; Sarah, to Robert Harvey of London, (fn. 39) Comptroller of the Custom-house, whose son, William Harvey of London and LowLayton, was baptized at Bow chapel, 25th Sept. 1599; he married Sarah, daughter of Will. Barret of London, by whom he had three sons, Robert, Hugh, and Benjamin, each of which inherited a third part; for in 1666, Oct. 6, the said Hugh settled the whole (except Tibenham manor, which was settled on Robert Harvey, (fn. 40) &c.) on himself for life, remainder to William Harvey, his nephew, for life, remainder to Robert, Hugh, and Benjamin, sons of William, equally to be shared; Ambrose Holbech of Mallington in Warwickshire, second son of Ambrose Holbech of the same, married Sarah Harvey, and became possessed of that third part, which was her brother Benjamin's; and about 1693, partition was made between Ambrose his son, who had got Hugh's part also, and Robert Harvey of Low-Layton in Essex, who married Rebecca, daughter of Mr. Bowater of London, and at his death left his part to John Harvey, Esq. his son and heir, who married Elizabeth, daughter of Sir James Honblon of London, Knt. He built the seat at Old-Bukenham called St. Andrews, (fn. 41) and settled there, and at his death left Robert Harvey, Esq. his only son, who is now  lord and owner of that part, and Ambrose Holbech, aforesaid, Esq. is now lord of the other two third parts.
The Park is a very ancient one, for the founder of the monastery here, among other donations, allowed the monks the privilege of taking wood in his park in this town; and in 1242, (fn. 42) the King sent his writ to the keepers of the lands of Hugh de Albany Earl of Arundell, that they should deliver to Robert de Tateshale two bucks of his gift, out of the park lately belonging to the said Hugh, in his town of Bukenham. It was after separated from the manor; and in 1626, one Long of Hingham, at the request or by the order of the Honourable Mary Lady Hunsdon, late wife of the Lord Hunsdon, conveyed all his right in it to Sir Tho. Holland of Kenninghall; (fn. 43) but it was in various trustees hands, and incumbered, till the title was perfected by John Holland of Wortwell, Esq. from which time it hath passed in this family, and still remains in the heiresses of Sir William. (fn. 44)
Belonged to Bury abbey, (fn. 45) and continued in it till Baldwin, Abbot of that monastery, infeoffed Will, de Bukenham, who was to hold it at half a fee, and pay 14d. every 20 weeks to the guard of Norwich castle, as I find in the White Register of that monastery, (fol. 97;) it contained, when he was infeoffed, 1 carucate of land, 8 bordarers, 10 freemen that held 60 acres, for all which be did homage. It continued in this family (all of them being Williams) till 1345, and in that year Will, de Bukenham paid 20s. relief for it. How it went from them, and when, I do not find; but in 1401, it was divided into small parcels, for in the feodary of that year, Adam Cock of Bukenham, and his partners, held it. In 1434, John Parker, Margaret Grey, Adam Joly, Robert Cogell and 8 more, did homage to the Abbot of Bury, for their estate here. (fn. 46) About 1563, Richard Parker, Isabell Cogell, John Roose, and Margaret Parker, held jointly that half fee, for which they used to pay to John Reeve, late and last Abbot of Bury, 14d. every twenty weeks to Norwich castle-guard. This family of the Bukenhams always bore az. a cross chequy, or and gul. for their arms, as appears from the seal of Will. de bukenham, in 1360, and several others of that family which I have by me.
In 1438, Tho. Croftes of Norwich settled the court, with all thereto belonging, on Richard Gegh and Edmund Bukenham, Esqrs. Roger Caus, John Brigges, Peter Park, chaplain, and others, except all his villeins, and copyholders in Old-Bukenham and Wilby. In 1533, Robert Jermye of Norwich, Gent, made his will, and gave his manor of Bukenham in Norfolk, to his mother-in-law, Elizabeth Jermye, and divers lands in Worsted to Ela his wife; (fn. 47) Robert Jermye was his eldest son, and Tho. Jermye, his second son, whose mother-in-law, Margaret Browne, is mentioned in the will; but whether it be this manor, or in any other Bukenham, I am not certain.
Belonged to Will. de Schoies in the Conqueror's time, of whom Roger held it. (fn. 48) In the beginning of King Henry the Third's reign, Tho. de Brokdish, Rob. de Wesenham, and Tho. de Bernham, held it of the honour of Clare. (fn. 49) In 1290, William, son of Matthew Cachevache, (fn. 50) had it, and Roger Cachevache, his son, in 1311; in 1325, he settled it on himself and Christian his wife; and in 1345, it belonged to William Catsvache of Old-Bukenham; in 1401, Maud de Mounteney, then a minor, held it; in 1420, it was John Rookwood's and others. In 1533, Hugh Wilkenson and others had Catchvache's manor in Old and NewBukenham, Attlebridge, Ringstede, and Holme, and liberty of faldage in Old-Bukenham, settled on them by William Gradbach (or Catswach.) In 1600, Hugh Wilkenson was lord, since which time it hath passed through many hands, which have sold off most (if not all) its rents. It some time belonged to the Sorrells, and now  to Mr, Edward Phillips of Banham, who owns the site of it, which is now called Catsvache's Meadow.
The close manor
Was part of the great manor till the division of it, and then it became a separate manor, and had insoken and outsoken juries, with a leet, and the profit of part of the market and stalls in Wymondham; a moiety of it, in 1383, belonged to the Prior of Bukenham, who hired the other moiety of the several lords, for that moiety divided into parts with the great manor, and went from the Cromwells to the Fitz-Williams, and from them to the Knevets; it laid in Bukenham, Attleburgh, Besthorp, and Wymondham, and was held by part of the borelry; in 1353, Robert Drury settled part of the moiety on Tho. Knevet; the other moiety came wholly to the Knevets at the dissolution, along with Bukenham priory, and from them to the Lovells; for in 1566, Thomas, son and heir of Tho. Lovell, Knt. held the Close manor, and all that pasture for 160 sheep called the Lathes, &c. of the Queen. In 1578, Tho. Lovell was lord; but by 1612 it belonged again to the Knevets, for then Philip Knevet, Bart. delivered seizin of the site of it to Gabriel Pope, doctor of physick, and Tho. Talbot, Gent. at which time, I suppose, the rents and services of the manor were either joined to the other manors, or all manumised; how the site (fn. 51) passed afterwards I cannot say, but am informed that it now  belongs to the Windhams.
Had its rise out of the great manor, at the same time with the Close manor; (fn. 52) and in 1383, the Prior had a moiety of it along with that manor; in 1400, the other moiety was divided; it had a leet belonging to it, and a fair to be kept on St. Martins Day, at New-Bukenham, the mere called Semere, or Old-Bukenham mere, belonged to it; the site and demeans called the Lathes, or Lays, contained 140 acres of pasture, 330 acres of wood, &c. and was held of the Queen in 1564, by Thomas, son and heir of Sir Tho. Lovell, Knt.; but the whole manor was united to the rest by the Knevets, Sir Tho. Knevet, being lord of the united manors of Lathes, the Close, the Priory, and burgage of New-Bukenham, in 1594.
The Priory Manor
Was part of the great manor given to the priory at its foundation, and continued in it to its dissolution, (fn. 53) when it passed with that house to Sir Tho. Knevet of Bukenham, in whose family it continued till Sir Philip Knevet sold it to John Eldred of London, Esq. and John Verdon, Gent.; and after many conveyances, it was settled on the minister of New-Bukenham for the time being, who is always lord of it.
The Castle was first situated by the abbey, on the east part; the site of it contains about 3 acres; it is a large entrenchment, surrounded with a deep mote, the hills being still entire; (see the plate) on the north side is an old arch, which served for a sewer when it was standing; this was in some decay, when Will. de. Albany pulled it down, and built the priory with its ruins, (which is the reason that there are none remaining,) and gave the site of it to that house, (fn. 54) as his foundation deed declares, and then removed to a far better situation, in St. Andrew's parish, the eastern part of which belonged to the Bishop of Norwich, and was part of his manor of Eccles, kept in his own hands to serve his palace there; notwithstanding which, the Earl procured the land which was part of the Hagh, of will. Turbus Bishop of Norwich, (who greatly favoured his foundation,) to be held as freely as the old castle was before the priory's foundation; the tithes only excepted; and on this part he built the castle, and founded his burgh called New-Bukenham, close by it, having obtained license so to do. It is pleasantly situate upon a hill, fortified with a deep mote, which remains entire, and full of water; the building itself is quitedemolished, and ploughed over, except part of the gatehouse, and a dungeon or keep, which all those places had; (see the Prospect in the plate;) it is 63 yards round, and the walls about 10 feet thick; and though it is not higher now than the entrenchment, I suppose it was formerly, the upper part of those keeps generally being watch-towers; it is divided in the midst by a cross wall. The Knevtts dwelt in this castle till it was demolished by Sir Philip, who sold it.
The.Priory, now called the Abbey, was founded by Williamde Albany, Earl of Chichester, sirnamed the Strong, who died in 1156, and by him dedicated to the honour of God, St. Mary, St. James the Apostle, and all the Saints, in which he placed black canons of the order of St. Augustine, who were governed by a prior elected by the major part of them, and confirmed by the Bishop of Norwich. after which he was installed; they were daily to pray for the soul of their founder, and of Queen Adeliza, or Alice, his wife, for the souls of Stephen King of England, and Maud his Queen, and their progeny, and for the souls of all his ancestors, successours, parents, friends, and benefactors; they were governed by statutes, allowed by William Turbus Bishop of Norwich, by whose advice it was founded, but they were in all things to follow the institution or rules of the church of St. Mary at Mertune; he endowed it with the rectories of the churches of All-Saints, and St. Andrews, belonging to his manor of Bukenham, which were immediately appropriated to it, and they took their whole revenues, the canons serving them; and also the site of the castle, which was to be pulled down, and 20 acres of land, and the wood called Little Hage, and Midcrofts, with the adjoining meadow, and New Croft before the castle-gate, (on which the abbey was built,) and Alured the Smith, with the land that he held, and 5 acres which was Spar-hauc's. (fn. 55) The witnesses to his foundation were, Hugh Bigot, Ralf de Bucham, or Bukenham, Hubert and Warin Montchensi, Rob. de Uuedale, Ralf the chaplain, Thurstin, then priest, or parson, of Bucham, (Bukenham,) and others; and afterwards he got the foundation confirmed by the King and Bishop. The benefactors to this house, that I meet with here, were, Will, de Albany, son of the founder, who gave them the advowson of Kenninghall, (fn. 56) Richard de Scenges, gave them the advowson of St. Mary's church at Berwike,) (fn. 57) in the Brakes,) Peter de Cley, gave them the advowson of St. Peter's at Cleythorp, (now Cocle-Cley,) Richard, son of Robert de Sengles, gave them his whole tenement, &c. in Riveshale, (now Rusall,) and Lincroft, (a hamlet to Rusall,) John Malekin, and Katerine Le-Parker released to the prior, &c. all his services which he owed them for his tenement, &c. held of them in Riveshale, Sir Henry de Riveshale, and Sir John his son, Knts. being witnesses. (fn. 58)
The said Richard, son of Robert de Sengles, gave them 90 acres of land, held of Miles, son of Alan, and Miles his son, and the service of Walter de Lincroft and his tenement in Lincroft aforesaid, and the tenement which the said Richard held of the Prior and Convent of Norwich in Riveshale, and 10 acres of land which he held of Henry Parker, and 1 acre held of Will. Fitz-Roeis, and half an acre held of Jeffry, the Dean's nephew, and 3 acres and an half in Suthfeud, held of Tho. de Stuttestune and Amy his wife, and one acre held of Walter, son of Roger Lincroft, with the services of Fulcher Le-Feutrer, and Walwane Le-Bule, and their families and tenements, and all that the said Richard had purchased in these towns, with one acre of marsh in Brisingham, a parcel of meadow in Est-Medwe in Semere, and the land in Wrongeland, which he held of Alan, son of David.
Robert, son of Robert de Tateshale, gave them the advowson of Gunneby, and a piece of land called Munkwelle, for a pittance, as is before observed; Robert de Tateshale, the third of that name, gave a fold-course for 200 sheep in Attleburgh, and 53 acres and an half of arable land in Bukenham; Sir John de Verdon, Knt. granted them divers lands, tenements, rents, and services in Brisingham, which was afterwards the Priory manor there. (fn. 59) Benedict de Brehull gave them the homage and service of Roger Le-Leche and his heirs, besides other gifts. Tho. de Sancto Egidio (or Giles) gave them his messuage in the parish of St. Benedict in (Norwich) Westwic, with the advowson of that church, with all rents belonging to his messuage. Peter, son of Sir Ralf de Cley, Knt. gave 51 acres and an half in Cley Field, with divers villeins, yearly rents, and services, with liberty of faldage, common of pasture, and fuel in all his liberty. Roger de Montealt, Steward of Chester, released to them all his claim in the advowson of Kenninghall, (fn. 60) and granted them common of pasture in Southache in Kenninghall, and the amerciaments of all their tenants in Kenninghall, who were punished in his leet there, to be received from his steward, who was to receive them of the offenders, all which grants were confirmed by the King. In 1377, Will. Keteringham and others, aliened to the Prior 100 acres of underwood in Bukenham, by the King's license; they had also 30 acres in Kerthorp in Bukenham, settled on them in 1353, by license; and divers lands and tenements in West Bradenham the year before. In 1390, John Mounteny and others settled 60 acres of land, 2 acres of meadow, and a free fold in OldBukenham, by the King's license. In 1366, they had license to receive divers lands in Tybenham in Norfolk, and Cratfield in Suffolk. Constantine Clifton gave 10l. a year to be settled on the Prior, which Sir John Clifton, who died in 1447, ordered to be settled, and accordingly the manor of Melding Hall in Burston, which belonged to the priory was settled on it by Sir Andrew Ogard, Knt. (fn. 61) Rob. Clifton, Knt. Constable of Burdeaux, who was buried in the conventual church of St. James the Apostle, was a good benefactor. John Verdon, of this town, in 1590, gave 5 marks by will, to repair the church; to the torches (or lights in it) 6s. 8d. "To the Light of the Sepulcor iijs. iiijd. Also to the Light of the Mess of Jesu iijs. iiijd. To the Pryor of Bokenham vjs. viijd. To iche channon ijs. To the reparacyon of the Churche of Olde-Bokenham xxs. Also to the Gilde of St. Martyn in Newe-Bokenham vjs. viijd. Also to the reparacyon of the Gilde of our Lady xxs. Also I will have an honeste preste to syng for my sowle, and all my benefactors sowles, in the parische churche of Newe Bokenham beforseid, by the space an hole yer. Also I will that the place wiche I purchesid of John Hewett, John Colby, and ij. acr. of londe lyeing att the gate in the heigh felde at Watt's Gate, remayne to the town of Newe Bokenham, to the common profight, in releif and cumfortyng of the poor pepull for evyrmor."
In 1428, (fn. 62) (fn. 63) the Prior's temporals in Old-Bukenham were taxed at 22l. 16s. 10d. ob. The total of the spirituals of this house, lying in Norfolk, were taxed at 77l. 13s. 4d. and paid 5l. 15s. 8d. every tenth; the total of their temporals in Norfolk were taxed at 52l. 9d. ob. and paid 5l. 4s. 1d. every tenth; the whole of their temporals and spirituals at this time being taxed at 109l. 14s. 1d. ob. and so paid every tenth 10l. 19s. 9d; at the Dissolution it was valued at 131l. 11s. per annum. In 1479, they had lands in all the Bukenhams, Elyngham, Besthorp, Stowebekyrton, Rokeland, Rowdham, Sneytyrton, Norton, Schropham, Quedenham, Banham, Multon, Aslacton, Carleton, Bonwell, Wykylwood, Reymerston, Cratfield, Keninghall, Hapton, Tibenham, Norwich, St. Benet, St. Swithin, and St. Peter Mancroft, Bradenham West, Barwyke, Brisingham, Burston, Attleburgh, Lyn, Sethyng, Riveshale, East-Herling, Caston, Cley, &c. In 1476, the Bishop certified the Barons of the Exchequer, that the Prior of Bukenham held impropriated to that house, the churches of St. Benedict in Norwich, of Gryston in Beccles deanery, of Bukenham All-Saints, St. Andrews, and St. Martin's, St. Peter of Cley, and West Bradenham, in Cranewise deanery, and Barwick in Hicham deanery, and that they have been so held ever since 1177, and before, even from its foundation, and that the Prior always pays all taxes granted by the clergy to the King for those churches, there being no vicars endowed upon any of them. (fn. 64)
The site, after the Dissolution, was granted to Sir Tho. Knevet, (fn. 65) and went with the Priory manor in that family, and is now owned by Mr. Holbech. There are very few ruins remaining; the walls of the church are quite down, but the foundations may be easily traced; it was in the conventual form, with the tower in the midst, and had a nave, two isles, two transepts, a choir, and north vestry; the monastery stood on the north side of it, and was a good square court. On the wood work of an old gate I saw the arms of Albany carved, which looked very old. I have seen a piece of silver, which was found in digging in the ruins of the church anno 1723, which has a shield of arms, on which, a fess between two chevrons. A canton erm. impales quarterly a bend; this looks as if it had been buried with its owner. See the plate for the seal, arms, &c. of the priory.
In 1579, John Margery was buried in this church, and gave every canon and monk 4d. and 8 marks, to be prayed for. Katherine Browne was also buried the same year, and gave two silver phiolas, and the rest of her goods, to Sir Will. Whalley, then prior, to pray for her. In 1507, Adam Sawer was buried here, and gave 4 nobles, for his soul to be sung for in the church. In 1508 the church was new roofed, and had an altar dedicated to St. Austin in it.
Priors Of This House.
1307, 5 id. Febr. Brother John de Multon, a canon of St. James's monastery at Bukenham, was elected prior by the sub-prior and convent, and confirmed by the Bishop of Norwich, as were all the priors to the Dissolution.
1534, 21 Aug. John Mylegate, or Millgate, (fn. 68) prior, Richard Ryntwz and five others subscribed to the supremacy. This John was the last prior, and resigned the house to the King; Sir Tho. Browne, &c. were canons at the resignation. These were the
Canons Of This House,
1479, Brother Tho. Fincham, Brother Rich. Cley, Brother Hen. Lychefeld, Brother Thomas Beverle, Brother John Bukenham, junior, Brother John Chambyr, Brother Richard Bukenham, cellerer, Brother Will. Harwych.
1493, and then brother John Foremale, a novice, was admitted among them, so that the monastery, when full, consisted of a Prior, an Auditor, who was not a religious, but one appointed by the lord to audit their annual accounts, and ten Canons, who yearly received for their stipends 40s. apiece, besides their maintenance and clothing; out of these, a Sub-Prior, Sacrist, and Celerer, were yearly chosen. The temporal officers of the house were, the Steward of their Courts, a Heyward, Woodward, and Janitor, constantly attending at the monastery gates. In this year John Boun was their auditor; they yearly received, for the total income of the monastery, about 110l, and disbursed about 100l.
Their annual temporal outgoings were, to the manors of Mortimer's and Crowshall in Attleburgh, 10d.; to the rector of East-Herling, 8d. for land in Kenninghall; to Besthorp manor 3d.; to my Lord Cromwell 4d.; to Elyngham manor 8d.; to Ashwellthorp manor 3s. 4d.; For lands in Rewshall 12d.; to the Bishop, for lands held of him in the Hawe 7s. 6d.; to the Abbot of Bury, for lands held of him in OldBukenham, 2s.
The annual spiritual outgoings to the Bishop, for the pensions of Bradenham and Griston, 26s. 8d.; for Bukenham St. Andrew, and St. Martin, 3s. 4d.; to the Pope's collector, 7s.; to the Archdeacon of Norwich, for procurations for Griston, 6s. 8d.; for the Bukenham parishes, and Cley, 26s. 8d.; to the sacrist of Norwich cathedral, for his pension out of Griston and Bradenham churches, 3s. 4d.; to Will. Lawe, their stipendiary chaplain at Cley, for one year, 6l. 6s. 8d.; to the vicar of Barwick, for his stipend, 6l. 16s. 8d.; the Stipend of the chaplain of All-Saints, Bukenham, 4l. 6s. 8d.
1480, paid to the honour of Wormegey, for the amerciaments of the prior's tenants, for their glebe land (belonging to Girston) in Caston, 12s.; for Romescot 3d.; and to Tho, Mounteneye, Clerk, 4s. ob.; to Will. Ingham, their Stipendiary at Cley, 5l. 13s. 4d. a year; to the Vicar of Barwyk, by agreement, for his vicarage, 6l. 16s. 8d.; to Andrew Norwich, at Girston, his stipend, &c. Cley parsonage, and 24 acres adjoining, let to farm, &c. 1487, at 20l. and more was laid out in repairing the chapel of the Virgin Mary, within the precincts of the monastery. At the end of this year's accompt are these lines,
The Chapel of St. Mary the Virgin, in Old-Bukenham, (fn. 69) was founded soon after the castle, by the lords of it, and was supplied by a custos and two or three chaplains, his brethren, who had their dwelling at the west end of it, and constantly served there; it was the only place of worship that the burgh of New-Bukenham had, till the present church was founded, which was some time after the chapel: at the Dissolution it came to the lord's hands; and not long afterwards was converted into a barn, as it now remains. It stands on the south side of the castle, close by the road, as you enter into NewBukenham. (fn. 70)
The Parish Church of St. Andrew, in Old-Bukenham, was a rectory belonging to the manor, till the foundation of the priory, to which it was given by the founder, and then appropriated to it, without any vicar endowed, the monks serving it themselves to the Dissolution, when it was granted to Sir Tho. Knevet along with the priory, (fn. 71) and soon after was desecrated, and converted into a barn; it is just by Mr. Harvey's seat, which is called St. Andrew's. It was taxed at 20s. and paid 2s. every tenth.
The Church of All-Saints in Old Bukenham, is the present parish church; this was also a rectory appendant to the manor, and given by the founder to the priory, to which it was then appropriated, but no vicar endowed; it was served by the monks, who found a stipendiary curate there till the Dissolution, when it was granted with the priory to Sir Tho. Knevet, who received all the profits, and found a curate to serve the parish; (fn. 72) and thus it continued in that family till 1611, when it was mortgaged, with the King's license, along with Knevet's manor in Tibenham, to Sir Tho. Herne, Knt.; after this it was mortgaged backward and forward several times, till at last Sir Philip Knevet sold every one (that would purchase them) the tithes of their own lands, and the rest the parish purchased, together with the chancel and churchyard, and vested them in Robert Wright and John Allen, and their heirs, who reconveyed to Sir Philip all manner of tithes, oblations, &c. which might be due to the said rectory from any of his own land, and all those tithes which they sold, as trustees to Sir Philip, to Robert Jollie, Jacob Preston, and the rest of the parishioners, that had purchased their parts, after which they settled the chancel and churchyard of Old-Bukenham All-Saints, with all the great and small tithes, oblations, obventions, offerings, &c. (fn. 73) together with all other temporals whatever belonging thereto, on a great number of feoffees, who were to hold all the rectories of All-Saints and St. Andrew's, (except the churchyard, parsonagehouse, and glebe lands of St. Andrew's, and all those titties which were sold before this feoffment,) with all the tithes of corn, grain, hay, and all other great and small tithes, obventions, and oblations whatsoever, to them and their heirs, in trust, to the following uses; that they, or the major part of them, shall for ever nominate, elect, and choose, an honest learned minister, for, and in the name of, the town of Old-Bukenham aforesaid, to serve in All-Saints church, once in a week, and perform all services there, (fn. 74) who upon such choice shall be licensed according to the laws of the realm, (fn. 75) after which he shall be allowed out of the profits of the rectory aforesaid, an annual stipend of 16l. 13s. 4d. to be paid by the feoffees, one half upon every 2d day of February, and the other half upon the 1st day of August, on which days they are to rnake and produce a just account unto Sir Philip Knevet, and his heirs, and the church-wardens of the town for the time being, and to all the rest of the inhabitants of the town, who shall think fit to be there, to see the accounts of the whole profits; and what overplus of the profits remains (the stipend and charges being deducted) shall be by them paid into the church-wardens hands, to be by them employed to repair the chancel and churchyard walls; and when all the feoffees are dead to five, they shall be obliged to make a new feoffment to ten persons at least, all which shall be parishioners of this parish; and lest there should arise any disputes concerning the parts sold off, the lands and tenements so discharged, with the several purchasers names, are mentioned, and all the lands which pay all manner of tithes to the feoffees, are separately described in nine rolls of parchment, annexed to the feoffment, among which, the Layes, containing 100 acres; a messuage and 100 acres, being the site of Bukenham Close manor; 6 closes thereto belonging, containing 80 acres; 50 acres more belonging to the same messuage; 24 acres, called Bromhill Close; 12 acres called Little Pond's Meadow; 8 acres called Fir Close; 30 acres called Hawte Close, in the New Park; 80 acres called Herlyng Wood; 16 acres called Thorne Croft; and 60 acres called Fir Closes, are the largest parcels, though there are, besides these, 48 messuages and cottages, and 200 acres thereto belonging. The prior was taxed at 13 marks for the rectory, and paid 17s. 4d. for it to every tenth. Mr. Last, rector of Wilby, was curate here, and the Rev. Mr. Robert Stone is the present  minister.
Here were three Gilds, dedicated to St. Margaret, St. Thomas the Martyr, and St. Peter, In 1373, Agnes Faucus of Old-Bukenham, buried in All-Saints churchyard, gave a heifer for her mortuary, and to Sir Roger, chaplain of the church, 6d.
On a brass plate, Preston's arms and crest,
hic requiescit corpus jacobi preston, (fn. 76) genr: qui vitam hanc expiravit in fide christi lxvi. etatis suæ anno dom: 1630.
Here lyeth the Body of Mathew Sturdyvant, Gent. who ended this Life the 21st Day of March 1604, when he was of the Age of 85 Years, and did give by his Last Will towards the Maintenance of a Schoole in this Parish for ever, 100l. (fn. 77) and towards thre newe Bells to be bought 20l.
In the nave on the south side, as Mr. Weaver informs us, (fn. 78) there was a stone plated with brass, on which was a crane, and
Here lieth the body of JOHN GREY, Gent. Steward of many Manours for (almost) Sixty Yeares, faithful to his Lords, & kind to the Tenants; he kept Courts and wrote very faire in the 90th Year of his Age, (things rare) in which he died upon the 16th Day of July, Anno Dom. 1713.
This town is situated round a pleasant green, the church standing on the east side of it; the site of the abbey being north east, and that of St. Andrew's south east. There is a fair kept on it every 29th of May. (fn. 79) It is a town of large bounds, for it paid to the tenths 5l. 13s. and is now  assessed at 1996l. to the land-tax, and hath 105 dwelling-houses, and about 550 inhabitants.