An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 10. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1809.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
The principal lordship of this town was given to Rainald, son of Ivo, on the deprivation of Alsic, a freeman of King Edward the Confessor, with 30 acres of land; 7 borderers then belonged to it, with a carucate and a half, and there were 2 carucates among the tenants with 14 swine, and at the survey there were 60 sheep; and 14 freemen under the protection of Ulsi, were delivered to Rainald, to make up, or add to this manor, with 60 acres, and 2 carucates of meadow, &c. and there was a church here endowed with 80 acres of free land, valued in the whole in King Edward's time at 20s. but at the survey at 40s. and it was one leuca long, and 5 furlongs broad: the gelt was 8d. (fn. 1)
From Rainald, this lordship came to the Earls of Clare and Gloucester, the family of De Vernuns held it of them, who gave name to a lordship in this town.
Ralph de Norfolk had also an interest here, and gave name to one, and were held of the said Earls.
In the 15th year of Henry III. Robert son of Ralph de Norfolk was petent, and Eborard de Vernun, whom Remigius, abbot of West Derham, called to warrant 84 acres of land here, whereby Robert released to Eborard all his right, and in the advowson of Carleton, &c.
The said Robert, in the 52d of the aforesaid King, gave to Roger, abbot of West Derham, the moiety of a mill, and rents out of lands in this town.
Ralph Leffet was lord in 1308, and presented then, and in 1328, &c. to this church.
Henry Wythe, the abbot of West Derham, Walter Edrich, Ralph Poule, &c. held a quarter of a fee, late Vernun's of the Earl of Gloucester, and Henry Wythe, and Walter Godchild, held here, in Tweyt, and Tasborough, a quarter of a fee, late Norfolk's, of the said Earl.
In 1343, Thomas Leffet, presented to the church, and in 1349, John de Carleton.
Oliver de Wythe had an interest here, in the 24th of Edward III. Wymer de Aylesham presented in 1364, Stephen Bastwick in 1393, and gave name to the manor called Bastwick's.
In the 3d of Henry IV. the Earl of March, then a minor, was found to hold (as capital lord) a quarter of a fee called Vernun's, and a quarter of fee called Norfolk's, in this town, Thwayt, Tasborow, and Ashby.
In 1408, Richard Bastwick presented; in 1418, Sir John Heveningham; in 1430, Sir Henry Inglos.
After this, it came to the De la Poles; and John de la Pole Duke of Suffolk presented as lord and patron, in 1485,
On the attainder of that family, Charles Brandon Duke of Suffolk had a grant of it from the Crown, and presented in 1523; from him it came to Edward Lord North, &c. Gawdy, Brereton, and Crow, as in Claxton, &c.
Roger Bigot, ancestor of the Earls of Norfolk, had at the survey, the possession of a freeman of Suetman, who was deprived, and held 5 acres, with a horse, kept at the manor-house, 3 cows, 90 sheep, 14 swine; the Conqueror gave him livery of these, and with Roger's manors in Claxton, Ashby, and Helgeton, valued always at 60s. per ann.
Roger had a grant also of 5 acres of land, that 2 freemen of Algar held here, and of 20 acres of land, that a freeman of Godwin held, with 2 borderers, and half a carucate valued at 20d. (fn. 2)
The family of De Helgeton held this, with their lordships in Helgeton, Claxton, &c. In the sixth of King John, Roger, son of Gilbert, was petent, and Herbert de Helgeton, tenant, of 32s. rent per ann. in this town, &c. in a fine; from the Helgetons it came to the Kerdestons, Delapoles, Gaudy, &c. as in Claxton, &c. Godric, the Conqueror's steward, held at the survey, the lands of 4 freemen of Edwin, who had in the Confessor's time 30 acres of land, with half a carucate and 2 acres of meadow, the soc belonged to the hundred. (fn. 3)
This lordship came afterwards to William de Cheney, so to the Cressys, and the Kerdestons, and from that family to the Delapoles &c. Gawdys, Brereton and Crow, who was lord in 1740, as may be seen at large in Claxton.
Ralph Lord Bainard, on the deprivation of a freeman of Toret, had 30 acres of land, 3 villains, with 2 borderers, and the tenants held a carucate, and 3 acres meadow: there were also 3 soemen with 24 acres and a carucate, valued in King Edward's time at 10s. at the survey at 20s. (fn. 4)
This came by an exchange. The soc was in the lord of the hundred; and Nigell was enfeoffed of this manor by the Lord Bainard.
In the time of Henry III. James de Agys held a quarter of a fee here of William Lord Bardolf, and had also a lordship in Raveningham, held of the said lord.
James was descended of William de Agia, son of Sir William de Agia, as appears from the register of Langley. (fn. 5)
It was granted to Hugh de Gourney probably by King Henry I. on the rebellion of William Lord Baynard, and by Julian, daughter and heiress of that family, came to William Lord Bardolf, her husband.
Thomas de Ages settled it in trust, on Richard Holworth, parson of Crostweyt, in the 10th of Edward II. and Thomas de Ages or D'ages, was lord in the 3d of Edward III. held of Thomas Lord Bardolf.
In the 5th of Henry VI. Thomas Beaufort Duke of Exeter held, as appears by the escheat rolls, 2 fees in this town, and LangeleHalebushes, which the abbot of Langley possessed, as part of the honour of Wirmegay.
To this abbey Ralph de Norfolk, with his sons, Elias and Robert, and Eborard de Vernun were benefactors.
The temporalities of this house here, were valued in 1428, at 6l. 11s.; and in the 31 of Henry VIII. Anthony Rous conveyed by fine the manor of Bastwick's, and Hodgedes, or Agys, to Miles Hobart, in this town, Langley, &c.
Sir Henry Hobart, on request of Sir Christopher Hatton, obtained a grant on the 7th of March, ao. 6 of King James I. of lands in this town, held of the late abbot of Langley.
On Thursday after the feast of the purification of the Blessed Virgin, Sir Thomas Berney held a court here in the 10th of Henry VII. in right of the great chantry of Dennington, called Philip's Chantry, in Suffolk, founded (as I conceive) by Sir William Phelip Lord Bardolf, in right of his wife.
Lands, late Langley abbey's, were granted on the Dissolution to Richard Fulmerston, Esq. who had license to alien to Thomas Middleton and his heirs, the manor of Baswick's, in the first year of Ed. VI. and before this, in the 38th of Hen. VIII. on June 5, Jn. Berney, Esq. had a grant of all the messuages and lands in this town, called Pedham's and Stayners; also of lands in the tenure of the master and fellows of the college of Dunyngton.
Dereham abbey temporalities were valued at 26s. 8s. and lands, meadows, and pastures in this town, Ashby, Thurlton, &c. in the tenure of Robert Edwards, Thomas Middleton, &c. late belonging to this convent were granted to Christopher Fenton, and Bernard Gilpyn, February 19, ao. 16 Elizabeth.
The tenths of the town were 3l. 7s. 10d. Deducted 17s. 10d. on account of the religious tenures, which they paid.
The church is dedicated to St. Peter, and being a rectory, was valued at 9 marks in the time of Edward I. and had a manse then with one acre of land. Peter-pence 10d. Carvage 5d.
Eborard de Vernun, rector, sans dale.
Robert de Alderford, rector, about 1280.
1308, John Leffet instituted rector, presented by Ralph Leffet.
1309, Jeffrey de Schilling. Ditto.
1320, John Reyner, Ditto.
1328, William Crykeman. Ditto.
1343, Jeffrey Leffet, by Thomas Leffet.
1349, Alan Wace, by John de Carlton.
1364, Richard Irynge by Wymer de Alesham.
1393, William Irynge, by Stephen Bastwyk.
1404, Simon Sefry, by Stephen Bastwyck.
1408, Richard Bastwyk. Ditto.
1418, Bald. Cretyn, by Sir John Hevenyngham.
1420, Richard Bosthe. Ditto.
1430, Robert Aylmer, by Sir Henry Inglose.
1449, (fn. 6) Robert Elys, by the Bishop, a lapse.
Robert Fletcher, rector.
1485, Robert Barker, by John Duke of Suffolk.
1488, John Ouston. Ditto.
1510, Richard Carr, by the Bishop, a lapse.
1523, Robert Walkington, ( he was then abbot of Langley) by Charles Duke of Suffolk.
1537, William Cundall. Ditto.
1554, John Ireland, by the Bishop, a lapse.
1561, William Stow, by John Throgmorton, Esq.
Richard Fortune, rector.
1580, Thomas Philips, by Sir Thomas Gawdy.
1599, Robert Syday, by Henry Gawdy, Esq. he returned in 1603 83 communicants.
1609, Robert Peachy, by Sir Henry Gaudy.
1662, Joseph Morland, by Thomas Gawdy, Esq.
1667, John Salle. Ditto.
1699, Edward Yovell, by Thomas Gawdy and Catherine Brereton.
1701, Samuel Conold, by Cuthbert Brereton, Gent.
1718, Francis Brook, by ditto.
1728, John Smith, on the death of Peter Copping.
1746, Stephen de Gullion, by William Smith, Gent. hac vice.
This rectory, with the vicarage of Claxton, is valued at 8l. and is discharged. In the church was the guild of St. Peter and St. Paul, and the steeple was building in 1503, and 1504.