An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 10. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1809.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
At the survey, Robert de Vallibus, or de Vaux, held under Roger Bigot, ancestor, of the Earls of Norfolk, 30 acres of land, which Almar, a freeman of Stigand the Archbishop, had been deprived of, with 2 borderers, one carucate in demean, and 4 acres of meadow; 17 freemen also, with the moiety of another, held under Almar's commendation 80 acres and 2 carucates; and in the same town was a moiety of a freeman with 15 acres and half a carucate of meadow. It was 10 furlongs long, and 5 broad, and the gelt was 7d. ob. (fn. 1)
This Robert, in the 4th of Henry III. sold to Eborard de Vernun, the advowson of this church, for 10 marks; and in the 23d of that King, Simon de Grys, Walter de Calthorp, the abbot of Langley, the monks of Thetford, and John Grys of Chedeston, were found to hold one fee of the Earl of Norfolk.
Symon de Grys had an interest here in the 16th of Edward I. and Roger Grys, in the 20th of Edward III. and in the 1st year of Henry IV. the Lord Mowbray held it in capite, as descended from the Bigots.
In the 3d of Henry III. a fine was levied between Thomas, son of Jeffrey de Thurston, petent, and the prior of the monks of Thydford, tenent, of the advowson of this church, released to Thomas and his heirs, who covenanted for ever to pay to the prior and his successors, 20s. per ann. for land held of them here.
Langley Abbey Manor.
The church of Ely, (the priory of St. Audrey) had six socmen, with a carucate and 20 acres in King Edward's time, which, on the conquest were granted to Godric the King's steward, and lands in Thorp, with all customary dues, and were valued in Burgh, by Apton. (fn. 2)
After the death of Godric it came to the Crown, as an escheat, and was given to the family of De Monte Canisio, or Montchensey, who were barons of the realm, and possessed by them (lords of Bergh Apton) in the reign of Henry II. as may be there seen.
In the said year it was appropriated to William Bishop of Norwich, to the said abbey, and on March 22, the rectory-house, on settling a vicarage, was granted to the vicar, with 12 acres of land, &c. valued at 6 marks.
The church is a single pile, with a chancel thatched, and has a square tower, with 3 bells. On a gravestone in the chancel, these arms, quarterly, argent and gules; in the 2d and 3d, a frett or, over all a fess, azure, Norris, impaling argent, on a bend ingrailed, sable, three de luces of the first, Holt.
In memory of Mrs. Mary Norris, first wife of John Stubbs, and last of Jeremy Norris of Norwich, gent. daughter of Jeremy Holt, clerk, who died June 2, 1682.—Johs. filius Edmi. Stubb, S. T. P. obt. 8 Oct. ao. ætat. 60, D'ni. 1662; and this shield, sable, on a bend, or, between three phæons, argent, as many round buckles, gules. Stubbs.