An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 10. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1809.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Eudo, son of Spiruwin, had a grant of a considerable lordship in the town, which Godwin, a freeman, enjoyed under the protection, only of Earl Guert, in King Edward's reign, containing three carucates of land, 12 villains, &c. 30 borderers, with 7 servi; there were 4 carucates in demean, &c. 7 among the tenants, paunage for 20 swine, with 4 acres of meadow; and 4 freemen held under Eudo one carucate of land, whom his predecessor Henfrid gave him livery of, as belonging to this manor; under these freemen were 5 villains, and 12 borderers, with 5 carucates among them all, &c. and a saddlehorse kept at the manor-house, and 20 goats, valued then at 6l. at the survey at 8l.
In the same town, Godwin, a freeman, who held partly under the protection only of St. Edmund, and of Edric in King Edward's time, held a carucate and a half, which Covin after held, and 8 villains, and 11 borderers belonged to it, with 4 servi, and 2 carucates; and there were in King Edward's time, 8 carucates and a half among the tenants, three acres of meadow. The whole of this was valued at 30s. at the survey at 40s. It was one leuca long, and one quarter and 9 furlongs broad, and paid 20d. gelt, whoever was lord of it. (fn. 1)
Eudo was a Norman, and came into England with the Conqueror, and being rewarded with the manor of Tateshall, in Lincolnshire, resided there, and according to the custom of those times, assumed the name of that town; his descendants were barons of the realm; Hugh his son founded the abbey of Kirstead in Lincolnshire.
Sir Robert de Tateshale, Lord Tateshale, made a great acquisition to his estate, by marrying Mabel, one of the sisters and coheirs of Hugh de Albini Earl of Arundel, who died in 1242.
This Lord Tateshale, in right of Mabel, was lord of the castle of Bukenham, and the manors also of Wymondham, with the office of chief butler to the King. In the 42d of Henry III. he had a grant of free warren, and in the 15th of Edw. I. the lord had free warren, assise of bread and beer, a gallows, weyf, &c.
Sir John de Cove was lord in the 9th of Edward II. and in 1330, in right of Eve his wife, daughter of Robert de Tibetot, and relict of Robert Lord Tateshale. On the death of the last Lord Tateshale, a minor, his inheritance came to his three aunts, Emma, married to Sir Osbert Caily; Joan, to Sir Robert de Driby, and Isabel, to Sir John de Orreby.
About the end of Edward the Third's reign, the whole lordship of this town was in Sir Adam de Clifton, son of Sir Roger de Clifton, by Margaret, only sister of Sir Thomas de Caily.
Sir John Clifton, his grandson, was lord in the reign of Richard II. and his grandson, Sir John Clifton, of Bokenham castle, the last heir male of the eldest branch of the Cliftons, by his will, (as appears, dying without issue male) dated August 16, 1447, gives to Robert Clifton his cousin, this lordship, with that of Denton. This Robert was descended from Adam de Clifton, knight, lord of Denver, 2d son of Sir Adam abovementioned, son of Thomas Clifton, Esq. who was brother of this Sir John.
In the 4th and 5th of Edward IV. Robert Clifton and Elizabeth his wife conveyed the united lordships of Topcroft and Denton to Sir Gilbert Debenham, Knt son of Sir Gyles, with the manor of Denver; and by a fine, they were settled on Thomas Gardiner, as trustee, for the use of Robert and Elizabeth, his wife, for life; remainder to Sir Thomas Brews of Salle in Norfolk, and Elizabeth his 2d wife, sister and heiress of Sir Gilbert Debenham; and Sir Thomas Brews, on the death of Robert and Elizabeth aforesaid, about the 22d of Edward IV. had livery of it, had his will, being dated in 1479, proved April 27, 1483, and bequeaths to William his eldest son, for life, after the death of Elizabeth his wife, the manors of Topcroft, Denton, Hoo, &c.
William was son of Sir Thomas, by Mary, his first wife, daughter of Sir John Calthorp, of Burnham in Norfolk, and dying in 1489, left by Isabel his wife, daughter of Sir John Hopton, relict of Sir John Jermy, 2 daughters and coheirs; Thomasyne, married to Sir Thomas Hansard, and Anne to Sir Roger Townsend; so that this lordship came to Robert Brewse, Esq. eldest son of Sir Thomas, by Elizabeth his 2d wife, who, by Catherine his wife, daughter of Sir John Wingfield of Letheringham, had Thomas Brews, Esq.
Robert died in 1514, and was found to hold it in capite, by the 3d part of a fee, and paying 12d. per ann. to Norwich castle-guard.
Thomas Brews, Esq. married Jane, daughter of—Scroop of Bentley, Esq. in Suffolk, and was father of Sir John Brews of this town, and of Wenham in Suffolk.
His son, Thomas, was lord in 1590; and Sir John Brews, in the reign of King James I. who married Cecily, daughter of John Wilton of Topcroft, Gent. lord of Wilby.
After this, the Wiltons were lords; and in 1650 Robert Wilton, Esq. of Wilby, son of Richard Wilton, brother of the aforesaid Cecily, possessed it, and remained in that family, till Nicholas Wilton, Esq. sold it in 1680, to George Smith, M. D. second son of John Smith of North Nibley, Esq. in Gloucestershire; he married Mary, daughter and heiress of David Offley of Cheshire, Esq. by whom he had Offley his son, who inherited it, and died at London, in 1708, and was buried there in St. Bride's church, leaving this manor to George Smith, his eldest son, by Mary, daughter of Thomas Archer, of Gloucestershire, Esq.—George married Mary, 3d daughter of William Churchman, Esq. of Illington: he was high sheriff of Norfolk, 1735, and died in 1745, leaving William Smith his son and heir, of Topcroft-hall, Esq.
The abbot of St. Edmund in Bury had a lordship which Berengarius held of the abbot at the survey, with 2 carucates of land; 2 priests held it of the abbey in the reign of the Confessor, 4 villains, 10 borderers and 2 servi belonged to it; there were 2 carucates in demean, and 3 among the tenants, &c. 3 acres of meadow, and a socman had 2 acres, valued at 30s. at the survey at 40s. the soc belonged to the abbey. (fn. 2)
In the 7th of King John, Ralph de Tyvill, alias Trubeville, gave a mark to have a writ of right for the moiety of one fee in this town, of which Roger de Hoo had disseised him.
In the 10th of the said King, Ralph granted it to Roger for 10 marks; they both held under the abbot, and the presentation was in the abbot's fee.
A fine was levied in the reign of Richard I. between Sampson, abbot of Bury, petent, and the said Roger de Hoo, tenent, of 2 knights fees in this town, Micklefield, and Ugkeshale, in Suffolk, (fn. 3) which Berengarius held, wherein Roger acknowledges the tenure, and that when the scutage was at 20s. he would pay 20s. when more he would pay more, and when less he would pay less, and to perform ward to Norwich castle.
Nicholas de Folsham was found in the 18th of Edward I. to hold half a fee of Roger de Hoo.
And in the 14th of that King Roger de Coggeshale and Mary his wife, claimed view of frank pledge, the assise, &c. of his tenants, which they held under Roger, son of John de Hoo.
Roger de Hoo and Agnes his wife, settled this manor in the first of Edward II. on themselves, with that of Shalfanare; and in the 9th of that reign, Richard Sutton had an interest herein, as trustee to the abbot, when he aliened one rood of meadow, and the advowson of the church to the see of Norwich.
Thomas Speke and Cecelia de Hoo, his wife, had a quarter of a fee of the abbot, (which Nicholas Folsham late held,) in the 20th of Edward III.
It is probable this Cecily was one of the daughters and heirs of Roger de Hoo, and Agnes his wife.
After this it seems to be purchased by the Cliftons, and united to the manor of Topcroft; Sir John Clifton dying possessed of it in 1447.
The tenths were 4l. 12s. Deducted 1l.
The Church is dedicated to St. Margaret. John de Hoo was patron in the reign of Edward I. the rector had then a manse, with 30 acres of land, valued at 16 marks. Peter-pence 9d. carvage 15d.
In 1316, Mr. Roger de Snetesham instituted, presented by Richard de Sutton, rector of Heveningham; Richard, abbot of St. Edmund's, granted license to him in that year, to assign to John Bishop of Norwich, and his successours, one rood of land, and the advowson of the church, held in capite of the said abbot.
1316, John de Hoo, by the Bishop of Norwich.
1335, Mr. Robert de Stratton. Ditto.
1339, Mr. Thomas de Lenn. Ditto.
1375, Mr. John Lamb, apostolicus, that is, collated by the Pope.
Mr. John de Lenne, rector.
1389, John Wynchester, by the Bishop.
1389, James Cole. Ditto.
1393, John Attewode. Ditto.
1393, John de Whitteby. Ditto.
1395, William Lovetot. Ditto.
1396, John Heygham. Ditto.
1418, William Crane. Ditto.
1449, John Charles, on the resignation of John Sparham, by the Bishop.
Robert Cook occurs rector, 1591, and in 1603, he returned 150 communicants, and died in November, 1636.
John Novell, in 1637, compounded for first fruits.
John Tenison compounded in 1640.
William Ellis, rector in 1671, died in 1693.
Samuel Kirk, died rector in 1723, occurs rector in 1693.
1723, William Tanner, by the Bishop.
1743, Henry Frost. Ditto.
The present valor is 10l. 13s. 4d. and pays first fruits, &c. and the Bishop of Norwich is patron.
1764, Revd. Mr. Davy, by the Bishop.
In the chancel, against the north wall, is a neat mural monument, with the arms of Smith;
In memoriam Georij Smith Armigeri, qui juxta hoc marmor sepultus jacet, uxorem reliquit Mariam, filiam natu tertiam Gulielmi Churchman, Armig. de Illington in Norfolc. comitatu, e quâ numerosam susceperat prolem. Genus et nomen duxit a generosa familia Glocest. provinciam incolente, nempe huic Georgio, pater erat Offley, illi Georgius, M.D. (qui primus apud Topcroft, eadem fixit A. D. 1680) filius secundus Johs. Smith, Armigi. de North Nibly, in agro Glocestr. obijt 10 die Decr. 1743, quadragenarius
On a gravestone,
Here lyes buried George Smith, M. D. he was son of John Smith, Esq; of North Nibly in Gloucestershire; he died in Topcroft-Hall, August 15, 1702, and had 2 wives, Mary, daughter of David Offley of London, Esq; by whom he had one son, Offley Smith; and Ann, the daughter of William Chilcott of Isleworth, Middlesex, Esq; who left no issue: on it the arms of Smith impaling Churchman.
Here lyeth the body of Mrs. Anne Smith, widow of George Smith, M.D. and only sister of William Chillcott, Esq. who departed this life May 10, 1708, aged 64 years: with the arms of Smith, impaling Chilcot, two lions rampant, in fess, &c.
This Anne was relict of — Host, Esq.
In the said chancel, a grave-stone,
In memory of William Chilcott, Esq; of Isleworth in Middlesex, who died August 31, 1705. ætat. 67.
In memory of Mr. John Tenison, B. D. sometime fellow of St. Peter's college in Cambridge, rector of Topcroft and Braconash; he died June 25, in the 73d current year of his age, 1671.
In the church were the guilds of St. Margaret, St. Thomas, and St. Gyles.
Topcroft-Hall is in the parish of Bedingham, and all christenings and burials belonging to the vicar of that church, time immemorial, and there was a free chapel near to the hall, dedicated to St. Gyles, of which the lords of Topcroft-Hall were patrons, this was anciently taxed at 53s. 4d.
In 1299, John de Gyselyngham admitted, on the presentation of Sir Robert de Tateshale.
1330, Hugh Jagoun, by Sir Thomas de Cove, in right of Eve his wife.
1349, Benedict de Hocham, by the lady Eve de Tateshale.
1356, John Bolour, by Sir Adam de Clifton.
1376, Thomas Grace, by the Bishop, a lapse.
1406, John Solman, ditto, a lapse.
1424, Richard Kippax, by Peter, rector of Attleburgh, and Thomas Derham.
1486, Robert Moore, on John Lympyngton's death, by the lady Elizabeth Brews.
Steph. Provet was the last chaplain at its Dissolution, and had a pension of 48s. per ann. and it was granted to Sir Thomas Woodhouse of Waxham, with certain lands belonging to it, and certain tithes of lands, and brush-wood, and long-wood by patent, Ao. 2° Edward VI. pat. 4.
In the 16th of Henry III. Vincent de Breccles, rector of Bedingham, brought his action for the tithes of the chapel in the town of Topcroft, as belonging to his church.
Tateshall bore checque, or and gules, a chief ermine; Caily, bendy of 8, argent and gules; Clifton, checque, or and gules, a bend over all ermine.
Smith, sable, on a chevron, engrailed, between six crosses patteè fitchee or, as many de-lis, azure.