An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 10. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1809.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
William Earl Warren had a grant of the lands of 7 freemen, of whom 3 borderers held half a carucate of land, and 5 acres of meadow, 2 mills, &c. and there were then also 2 carucates, a church endowed with 12 acres, the whole valued at 20s. per ann. It was 6 furlongs long, and 5 broad, and paid 15d. gelt. (fn. 1)
Walter de Berk, in the 12th of Henry III. granted by fine to William his son, the said advowson with 2 carucates of land in Berk, and in Rising; but Walter was to enjoy it for life; so that it appears, the Berks held it under Benefeld; and in the 53d of that King, Henry de Berk gave lands in Berk Magna, (as it was sometimes called, and also Berk by Hingham,) to distinguish it from Bergh by Mateshale, (both of them lying in Mitford hundred) to Geffrey son of Walter de Hingham.
The jury find in the 9th of Edward I. on a pleading, that a tenement with 40 acres of land, 10 of meadow, 3 of wood, and a mill here, was not partable land, being purchased by Walter, grandfather of Robert de South-Berk, and Richard his brother, sons of William de South-Berk, and held of John de Benfeld, by the fifth part of a fee.
In the 13th of that King, Richard de Suthberg granted to Ela, or Alice de Calveley, wife of John, a messuage, with lands here, and in Wood-Rising. This seems to have been the lordship, John de Calveley her husband presenting to the church in 1329, and she was daughter of Richard de Suth-Berk.
In the 17th of Edward II. Thomas de Burgh conveyed lands in this town and in Wood-Rising, to Edmund de Breccles, rector of Elingham, in trust, as I take it; and in the 20th of Edward III. the tenants of the lands, late John de Benefeld's, were found to hold the 6th part of a fee of the Earl Warren.
This William died soon after, sans issue; for in the 35th of Edward III. Amicia or Alianore, married to John Coroner, was found to be sister and coheir of John de Calveley, father of William. (fn. 2)
In 1439, Thomas Crofts of Westal, senior, Esq. and Thomas Crofts, Esq. of Norfolk, in 1463; Thomas Gray, Esq. as lord in 1550, who was lord also in 1556; but before this, in the 17th of Henry VII. Thomas Caus passed by fine this lordship of Botyld's, with lands in this town, Hardingham and Henghum, and the advowson, to Francis Calybut, Humphrey Adam, and William Deane.
In 1561, John Aldham, Gent. was lord in right of his wife,—. On September 17, in the 11th of Elizabeth, he sold to Thomas Thwayts, of Hardingham, Esq. a moiety of the manor of Botild's, and a moiety of the advowson, and after, the other moiety of both; which manor was possessed by Francis Cushion, of Hingham, who left 4 daughters and coheirs; —, married to John Aldham, of Thympling, Gent.; —, to John Thurston of Hoxne; Jane, to Thomas Carsey, of Southbergh; and Ellen, to Henry Wyat, of Deepham in Norfolk.
In 1277, William de Calveley and Sarah his wife, held it; and in the 20th of that King, an assise was brought before William de Giselham, and Hugh de Cressingham, the King's justices, to know whether John de Calveley, and Nicholas his brother, William de Calveley, William de Boyton, and Edmund de Swathing, had disseised Catherine, widow of William de Swathing, of an alder kar here and in Letton, containing 160 acres; and the jury find that William de Calveley, and Sarah, his wife, father, &c. of John de Calveley, and Edmund de Swathing, held it in common, and after divided it between them and deprived her of it.
In Bergh, Hermerus de Ferrariis had seized on 2 acres of land, belonging to a freeman, and valued at 6d. (fn. 3)