An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 10. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1809.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Manor, or in the Brakes.
This principal manor here was held by the King, who was lord of it at the survey, and by a freeman, before the conquest, who had 260 sheep, 11 swine, 2 cows, 5 runci, or horses, with a carucate of land. This, together with Southmere and Titchwell manor, then also possessed by the Conqueror, was valued before the conquest at 7l. and at the time of the survey at 30l. per ann. and 4 socmen in King Edward's time held 4 acres of land; but after the conquest, and after Roger received this manor, and held it of the King, Brom, the steward, or bailiff of Roger Bigot, took them away from it, and Roger has them now, and one socman with 60 acres, or half a carucate. (fn. 1)
This, as I conceive, remained in Bigot, till granted by King William II. to William de Albini, ancestor of the Earls of Essex and Arundel, of that name; this in a great measure appears from the grant of Richard, son of Robert de Scenges, of the church of St. Mary, of (this town) Berwick, to the priory of Bokenham (fn. 2) (founded by William de Albini aforesaid) in the reign of King Henry II and then confirmed to that house, by William de Albini Earl of Sussex and Arundel, then capital lord of the feee, of whom Richard then held it.
After this it came to the Calthorps, who were lords in the reign of King Henry III. and held it in Edward the First's time, of the Lord Tateshale, who inherited it by the marriage of an heiress of the Earl of Arundel and Sussex.
From the Calthorps it descended to the Parkers; and Sir William Parker was lord in the 3d of Edw. VI. by the marriage of Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Philip Calthorp; and Sir Philip Parker was lord in the 32d of Elizabeth.
Buckenham Priory Manor.
Besides the church of Berwick, given by Richard de Scenges, Hugh de Albini, Earl of Arundel, gave to this house a messuage, and a windmill; what other benefactions they had here does not appear. Their temporalities in 1428, were valued in this town at 67s. per ann.
This, with the rectory appropriated to the convent, its lands and tenements, with the advowson of the vicarage, was granted by King Henry VIII. in his 35th year, December 3, to Robert Townsend, serjeant at law, and Gyles Townsend, Esq. and they granted it to their elder brother, Sir Roger Townsend, December 10 following, having the King's license December 5. Sir Roger died possessed of it in 1552; and Sir Roger Townsend, Bart, was found at his death, in 1637, seized of the manor of Buckenham in Berwick.