An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 10. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1809.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Roger of Povictiers had also a lordship here, held in the reign of the Confessor, by 6 freemen, who had a carucate of land; afterwards 2 carncates belonged to it, but at the survey half a one, of these freemen Stigand the archbishop, had the soc belonging to his lordship, 60 sheep, 4 cows, at the survey none; also 20 goats: it was 4 furlongs broad, and half a furlong long, paid 10d. gelt, and valued in Heynford (fn. 1)
Ralph de Beaufoe had a grant of half a carucate of land, possessed in King Edward's time by 6 freemen, who had 3 borderers with 2 carucates, valued then at 30s. at the survey at 45s. 4d. the King and the Earl had the soc, but Ralph now possessed it; this was valued in Wroxham. (fn. 2)
Nicholas Rydel settled on William his son, 24 messuages, 2 mills, 200 acres of land, 12 of meadow, and 48s. rent here, in Wroxham, Felthorp, Raketh, &c. held of the honour of Rye, and William, his son, was lord in the ninth year of Edward II.
Margery de Cheyney granted a manor, to the nuns of Carrow, and the prioress was found to hold it of Robert Fitz Roger, after of the Lord Morley, as parcel of the barony of Rye in the 3d of Henry IV.; at the Dissolution it was granted to Thomas Duke of Norfolk, May 9, in the 29th of Henry VIII.
Alice Cook of Horsted, wife of Robert Cook of Crostewheyte, by her will in 1478, orders a man to go a pilgrimage to the Holy Rood of Crostwheyte. (fn. 3)