An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 10. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1809.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
The manors mentioned in Wroxham extended into Sallows, it being an hamlet of that town, and was valued, and accounted under those lordships.
The temporalities of the prioress of Carhow in 1428, were here valued at 14s. 7d.
In the 36th of Henry VI. John Redell was found to hold the manor of Redel in Salthouse.
By an inquisition taken at the castle of Norwich, October 11, in the 4th and 5th of Philip and Mary, it was found that Thomas Reddell, Gent. son of Thomas, died September 20, in the 34th of Henry VIII. and left by Constantia his wife, John his son and heir, aged 9 years, seized of Sallowes manor in Wroxham, and tenements held of Thomas Duke of Norfolk, in soccage of his manor of Wroxham, and paying 20s. and 1d. rent per ann. and suit of court.
John Reddell conveyed it by fine to Nicholas Sotherton in the 4th and 5th of Philip and Mary.
There was formerly a chapel in this hamlet, to which the vicar of Wroxham is also instituted, with his vicarage, there seems, to have been one at the time of the Conqueror's survey, wherein it is said that there were 2 churches, as may be seen in the account of Beaufoe's manor in Wroxham; it was dedicated to All-Saints; the churchyard belonging to it is mentioned in 1465, and in 1523. (fn. 1)
Robert Elliot, vicar of Wroxham, gives to the repair of this chapel 13s. 4d.