An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 11. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1810.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
The Conqueror was lord of this town, forfeited on the rebellion of Ralph Guader Earl of Norfolk, and said to be held by the old Earl R. in King Edward's reign, when there were 6 carucates of land, 6 villains, 46 borderers, and 3 servi, four carucates in demean, &c. and 7 among the tenants, &c. and 30 acres of meadow, with a saltwork, 2 runci, 7 cows, 13 swine, 260 sheep; and 13 socmen had half a carucate and 15 acres of land, and there were always 2 carucates and a half, with 6 acres of meadow, valued then at 8l. after at 9l at the survey at 10l. quitrent 40s. the customary payment in tale, 20s. as a present or fine. It was one leuca long, and one broad, and 2s. gelt. (fn. 1)
Besides the aforementioned sheep belonging to the lordship, there were 700, and paid 100s. at the survey Godrick was the King's steward or bailiff of it.
This town and lordship was granted from the Crown to the Bigods. Hugh Bigot Earl of Norfolk, was possessed of it in the reign of King Stephen; from that family it came to Thomas de Brotherton, EarlMarshal of England, &c. and by his daughters and coheirs to the Mowbrays, Dukes of Norfolk; from them to the Howards.
On the attainder of Thomas Howard Duke of Norfolk, 1572, it was then in the Crown, and granted by King James I. Ao. 1, to Thomas Howard Earl of Norfolk, and Henry Earl of Northampton, and from them to Thomas Howard Earl of Arundel, as in Acle at large.
By indenture, dated in the 13th of Charles II. John Dyx, alias Ramsey, of Wickmere in Norfolk, Esq. and heir of John Dix deceased, (trustee for Thomas, late Earl of Arundel) was sued for payment of the debts of the said Earl, of this manor of Halvergate; which manor, at the request of Henry Howard, second son of Hen. late Earl of Arundel, the said John Dix absolutely grants, and releases to Sir William Playters of Sotterley in Suffolk, Bart. and to Sir Richard Onslow of West Clandon in Surry, Knt. their heirs and assigns for ever.
The church was formerly a rectory, valued at 12 marks, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, paid Peter-pence, 16d. and carvage 4d. Sir Roger Bigot, Earl-Marshal, granted to the priory of Carhow, the tithe of his demean lands, which was confirmed by Simon Bishop of Norwich, in 1264, then valued at 16s. 8d.
John de Knovil occurs rector in the 22d of Edward I.—On the 3d of the calends of March, 1301, the rectory was appropriated to the abbey of Tinterne in Wales, in the diocese of Landaff. by John Bishop of Norwich, on the grant of Roger Earl of Norf. and a vicarage was settled.
In 1302, Richard de Merth, vicar, presented by the abbot of Tintern.
1329, Edmund de Breccles; the abbot presented, and the Bishop of Norwich nominated.
1350, Thomas de Plumstede. Ditto.
Thomas Oliver, vicar.
1360, Walter Holbeck. Ditto.
1366, Hugh de Thame. Ditto.
1378, William Fenner. Ditto.
William Beckford, vicar.
1384, Robert Snell, by the King, who presented, the temporalities of the see of Norwich, being then in the King's hands.
1415, William Holere.
1426, John Ederych.
1433, Thomas Martin.
1454, John Brown.
1461, William Man.
1506, John Rose.
1527, John Yorke.
1533, James Proctor.
1541, John Codenham, S.T.P. by the Duke of Norfolk, to whom at the general Dissolution this rectory, and the patronage of the vicarage were granted May 9, Ao. 29th of Henry VIII.
Edmund Palmer, vicar.
1548, John Young, by Sir Thomas Clere, who farmed the rectory.
1558, Thomas Melling, by Mr. Richard Underwood, archdeacon of Norfolk, executor of John Underwood, Bishop suffragan to the Bishop of Norwich.
1561, Walter Jenkinson. Ditto.
1607, George Jenkinson, by the Bishop of Ely, at the attainder of Thomas, Duke of Norfolk.
1672, the rectory and patronage came to the Crown, and Queen Elizabeth granted them an exchange of lands belonging to that see.
1618, Thomas Rasy. Ditto.
1660, Edward Mapletoft, by the King, a lapse.
1691, John Sallet, by the Bishop of Ely.
1709, Richard Foster. Ditto.
1711, John Anderson, by ditto.
1731, Thomas Goddard. Ditto.
The present valor of the vicarage is 5l. and is discharged.
In the church were the lights of our Lady of Pity.—St. Mary.— St. Catherine, before the Brown Rood
In the north isle, Lord Morley, impales Spencer.
The tenths were 3s. 6d. Deducted 6s. The temporalities of Tintern abbey were 3s. 6d.
The abbey of Tinterne let to farm the rectory in the 9th of Henry VIII. at 6l. per ann. to Thomas Clere of Acle, who was to pay also the pension of Carhow, &c.