An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 11. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1810.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Twenty-six socmen held a carucate and an half of land, 35 acres of meadow, and 3 carucates; the town was one leuca long and one broad, and paid 2s. gelt. The King and the Earl had the soc and sac over all their socmen, except seven, who had the soc under their protection or commendation; and in this town of Upton and that of Fishley, there were 25 socmen, with 60 acres of land and 13 of meadow, always half a carucate. In Opton was a socman with 12 acres, valued at 2s. and the soc of these belonged to the hundred. (fn. 1)
This lordship with Fishley, and South-Walsham, was in the Conqueror's hands, and Godric his steward took care of it for the king at the survey; of this and Fishley, Ralph the old Earl had been deprived, and by the Crown it was granted to the family of Le Boteler.
In the reign of Henry II. it was seised by the King as an escheat, Andrew Le Boteler refusing to perform the services due to the King, when it was granted to Ralph de Glanvile, valued at 10l. who gave it to Reyner de - - - - -, and he enfeoffed Nicholas Le Boteler of it, with his sister in frank marriage.
On the death of Nicholas Le Boteler, s. p. who is said to have held it of Hugh de Auberville, it came to Adam de Brancaster, and William de St. Clere; (fn. 2) but Wiiliam, son of Reyner de Wythelesham, and Beatrix his wife, held it during the life of the said Beatrix, widow of the aforesaid Nicholas; and they in the first year of Edward I. convey by fine to Guy de Botetourt, their interest herein, with lands, rents, &c. in Fishley, South Walsham, &c.
In the 14th of that King, Felitia, widow of William de St. Clere, who had sold his part or moiety to William de Heveningham, claimed an interest therein; but the whole appears soon after to be vested in the Botetourts.
In the 30th of the said reign, Sir Guy de Botetourt had a grant of a market and a fair here: and before this, in the 15th, claimed view of frank pledge, assise, weyf, &c.
John Le Botetourt his descendant leaving an only daughter Jocosa, brought it by her marriage to Sir Hugh Burnel, who possessed it in the 2d of King Henry IV. as in Cantly, Uphall manor in Blofield hundred.
After this, it was in the Wichingham family, Nicholas Wichingham, Esq. of Wichingham, died lord of it in the 12th of Henry VI. and left it to Edmund his son, by his 2d wife.
Edmund married Alice, daughter and heir of John Fastolf, by whom he had 4 daughters and coheirs; Amy, the eldest, married Richard Southwell, Esq. of Wood-Rising, and of Upton in her right; and Sir Robert Southwell was lord in the 6th of Henry VIII. when it was found to he held of the Countess of Suffolk, as of her manor of Benhale in Suffolk, valued at 16l. per ann.
After this it was in the Crown. The Lady Ann of Cleves had it, and after that Charles Brandon Duke of Suffolk.
On the 5th of May, in the 37th of Henry VIII. it was granted to Sir Richard Southwell, Knt. with the manor of Wendling, Cardeston, &c who conveyed it to that king in the following year; and the said King, on December 11, in the same year, settled it on the dean, &c. of Christ Church in Oxford, where it still continues.
Godric the Conqueror's steward had in his own right lands here and in South-Walsham, as may be there seen.
The abbot of St. Bennet had also 5 acres of land valued with their manor in South Walsham.
Ths tenths were 4l. 13s. 11d.—Deducted 13s. 11d.
The Church was a rectory, dedicated to St. Margaret, valued at 25 marks, and was granted (as I take it) by Ralph de Glanvile, lord chief justice of England, to the priory of Butley in Suffolk, (who was the founder of it) about 1171, and was confirmed by John de Grey, bishop of Norwich, &c. William de Raleigh, bishop, and others.
On the appropriation, a vicarage was settled, valued at 10 marks; the vicar had a pension of 30s. per ann. payable by the prior, &c. Peter-pence 16d. Carvage 3d.
William de Auberville claimed an interest in the patronage of the vicarage; he married Maud, eldest of the 3 daughters and cohers of Ralph de Glanvile, but conevyed the 3d part of this advowson, that of Somerton and Chatgrave, by fine to the prior. (fn. 3)
Thomas de Wython, vicar, presented by the prior, &c. of Buttley.
1304, Roger de Jakesle instituted, presented by the prior.
John de Wesenham, vicar
1331, Robert de Aylesham. Ditto.
1333, John Reighnalds.
1347, William de Letton.
1349, Peter Brome.
1361, John Smalewood.
1383, Ralph de Sything.
Thomas Smith, vicar.
1417, William Hawet, alias Spalding
1418, William Blyth.
Thomas Gressemer was the last vicar, presented in 1512, by the prior, &c.
Thomas Dyexton vicar, about 1600.
17—, Henry Nelson died in 1723 vicar.
1723, William Mackay, by the Bishop of Ely
1752, Thomas Dodd. Ditto.
The manor and impropriate rectory was in the Lady Anne of Cleves after the Dissolution, next in Charles Brandon Duke of Suffolk, and the manor being granted to the dean, &c. of Christ Church, the rectory remained in the Crown, with the patronage of the vicarage, till granted by Queen Elizabeth to the see of Ely, on her taking many lordships, &c. from it.
The Bishop of Ely is the present patron and impropriator, and the vicarage now valued at 5l. and discharged
William Wynne of Upton, by his will in 1505, was buried in the middle ally, and I will have a gravestone the price of 26s. 8d; to the stonynge of the church 20 marks, if need be, more; to St. Peter's gild 6s. 8d. (fn. 4)
The temporalities of Beeston priory were valued at 20s. of Weybridge at 20d. Richard Fulmerston, Esq. had a grant of lands here belonging to it, March 10, Ao. 39 Henry VIII.