An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 11. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1810.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Roger Bigot, ancestor to the Earls of Norfolk, had 21 acres of land, 4 of meadow, and half a carucate, of which a freeman was deprived, valued at 4s. and Stanart held this under Bigot. (fn. 1)
The abbot of St. Bennet held one carucate of land with 6 borderers, and 8 acres of meadow, one carucate in demean, and half a carucate among the tenants, 2 runci, 6 swine, and 10 socmen, 45 acres, 6 and a half of meadow, with 2 carucates, valued at 20s. but at the survey at 26s. and 8d. it was 5 furlongs long, and 4 broad, paid 9d. gelt, and several held lands here. (fn. 2)
The town takes its name from the river Thurn.
Bigot's lordship went always along with that of Oby, held by Stanart, and was held of the honour of Fornset.
The abbot's manor was also joined with his fee in Oby, and passed as is there observed, being granted on the exchange between King Henry VIII. and Bishop Rugg, to the see of Norwich, and so continues. The Bishop of Norwich's lordship in Askeby, extended into this village, and was united to that of the abbot's on his exchange, and is held by lease of the Bishop.
The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. Edmund; valued formerly at 40s.—Peter-pence 9d. ob.—The present valor is 5l. and was consolidated to Ashby in 1604, and the Bishop of Norwich is patron.
Reginald le Gross, rector.
1323, Ralph de Colby, presented by the abbot of Holm.
1356, Nicholas Heylot. Ditto.
Thomas Longdale, rector.
1384, John Marchfeld.
1404, John Newton.
1408, William Smith.
1412, John Grenehull.
1417, John Wytton.
1429, John Kentyng.
1433, John Atte Hirne.
1436, Robert Dowe.
1437, Robert Cantell.
1438, Thomas Alford.
1441, William Reynold.
1453, Thomas Sutton.
1500, William Hunter.
1526, Robert West, by Sir Robert Clere, the abbot's assignee. John Grome.
1559, Richard Grene, by Sir Thomas Woodhouse.
1568, George Wolf, by the Bishop.
1578, Anthony Wilmot.
John Ponder, by the Bishop.
The rector paid to the penitentiary of St. Bennet, 8s. per ann.
Hugh Cali gave to Edmund the rector, and his successors, half an acre of land, paying yearly to the church of Repps 12d.—Witnesses, Sir William de Statham, William de Billokeby, &c.