An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 11. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1810.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
DILHAM, AND PANCFORD.
Robert Lord Mallet was lord of the most considerable manor of this town, (fn. 1) of which Edric was deprived; there belonged to it one carucate of land, 9 borderers, one carucate in demean, and 6 acres of meadow, &c. 2 socmen, and the moiety of another held 50 acres, and 2 borderers, with 2 acres of meadow, valued then at 30s. at the survey at 35s. it was eleven furlongs long, and 6 broad, and paid 9d. gelt. (fn. 2)
Sir Roger Gyney, son of Sir William Gyney, was lord in the reign of Edward I. and his son Sir William in the 16th of Edward II. and the 21st of Edward III. as was Sir Roger, who by his will, here dated in 1376, requires to be buried in this church, and gives to John his son, this lordship, who by the name of Sir John Gyney, made his will, and gave this manor after the death of Alice his wife, to Sir Henry Inglos, and was proved in 1423, November 5: the said Henry Inglos was in the wars of France, and in the 3d of Henry V. then an esquire, preferred a libel in the court of the constable and Earl-Marshal of England, against Sir John Tiptoft, who had retained him with 16 lances, several archers, &c. and refused to pay him, and so he the said Henry declares that —"He was ready by the help of God and St. George, to prove against the said Sir John, body to body, as the law and custom of arms required in that behalf; (fn. 3) " and in 1421, being then a knight, was taken prisoner at the battle at Bengy in France, where the Duke of Clarence was slain; and in the 5th of Henry VI. he being proxy for Sir John Fastolf, was installed Knight of the Garter for him.
By his will, dated June 20, 1451, he requires to be buried in the presbytery of the priory of Horsham St. Faith's, by Ann his wife; gives to the prior and canons of Ingham 20s. Henry his son and heir, succeeded him, whose son, Edward Inglose, sold it by fine with 10 messuages, &c. to John Bozun, Esq.; after this it came to the Windhams, and Thomas Windham, Esq. was lord in 1570, and in this family it remains, William Windham, Esq. of Felbrig, the late lord dying in 176-.
St. Bennet Of Holm's Fee.
At the survey, the abbot of St. Bennet bad a socman, with 30 acres of land, a borderer, and one carucate valued at 6s. 8d. (fn. 4)
This, as I take it, was held of the abbot, by the lords abovementioned; Odo, the cross-bow man, is said to have held of the abbot, that which Reinberius had. (fn. 5)
Alan Earl of Richmond had in Dilham, and Panceford, a hamlet, probably, to Dilham, 50 acres of land, which a socman of Ralph Stalre was deprived of, 2 villains, and 2 borderers, &c. belonged to it, with one carucate and an acre of meadow, valued at 8s. but at the survey at 5s. (fn. 6)
Ralph, son of Ribald, gave to the church of the Holy Trinity of Norwich, all his lands in Dilham, and Panksford: Ribald was a brother of Earl Alan. Ralph, in his deed, (fn. 7) declares that he gave it for his own soul, that of Robert his son, and of his lord, Earl Alan, and in recompense of a benefaction, the monks of Norwich having paid for him 20 marks to Morell, a Jew, and so acquitted him of it; (the seal is round and the impress a cross flory) and it is now in the dean and chapter of Norwich.
Roger Bigot had also 60 acres of land, of which a freeman of Edric had been deprived; to it belonged 5 borderers, one carucate and an acre of meadow, and this was valued in Suffield. (fn. 8)
Pope Alexander III. in 1176, in the 17th year of his pontificate, granted to John, Bishop of Norwich, the land of Ralph, son of Ribald, which Richard, prior of Norwich, bought of Ralph, of the fee of Hugh Bigod. (fn. 9)
The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. Nicholas, granted to the priory of Bromholm, by William de Glanvile the founder, and appropriated to it, being valued at 20 marks per ann. a vicarage was ordained, valued at two marks, the present valor of which is 5l. 7s. 10d. and is discharged.—Peter-pence were 18d.
In the register of Bromholm, fol. 43, it appears that there was a controversy between Sir William de Gyney, and the prior, about the advowson of this church, and Sir William covenanted to release and levy a fine, the prior paying him 45 marks of silver, and to deliver a deed under seal.—Dated at Crostweyt, in the 2d of Edward I. reserving to himself the right to his chapel here, and the services of the prior's tenants.
1468, Jeff. Ilberb; by his will in 1498, gives 6 marks for a vestment for a priest; 6 marks to repair a pane of peynting in the church, and the profits of 3 roods of land to the vicaryes here to sing onys in the yere for him, &c. Placebo and Dirige.
On the Dissolution, the patronage of the vicarage, with the appropriated rectory, came to the Crown, and in the year 1600, John Osmond was collated by the Bishop, a lapse; in 1603, he returned 143 communicants.
1612, Arnold Suckerman, by the Bishop of Ely, being granted by Queen Elizabeth, to that see, on an exchange of land belonging to it. Mr. Matthew Stokes, fellow of Caius college, in Cambridge, held this rectory impropriate of that see, by lease; and gave about 1630, to that college for the stipend of one fellow, 3 scholars, &c. but the advowson remained in the see of Ely.
In the north isle, an old monument, or tomb, with the effigies of a man and woman, the arms and inscription defaced; this was in memory of an Inglose, or a Jenney, and had the arms of Gynney, paly of six, or and gules, a chief ermine, and gules, four bars gemelle, or, on a canton, argent, five billets saltier ways, sable, Inglose;—argent, 2 bars, and a canton, gules, over all a bend, sable, Boys;—also, quarterly, argent and azure, on a bend, sable, three martlets, or, Le Gross;— masculy, gules and ermin, Rokely;—azure, an escotcheon and orle of martlets, argent, Walcot;— Kerdeston; Stapleton; and ermin, on a chief gules, three fusils, ermin, Charles.