An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 11. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1810.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Called in Domesday Book, Snetesherd, taking its name from the head of some stream or rivulet here rising formerly, called the Inet, thus Snetesham, Sneteston, &c.; the abbot of St. Bennet, was lord of it in King Edward's reign, and at the survey, and had 5 carucates of land, with 5 villains, and 16 borderers, one carucate in demean, 6 among the tenants, 4 cows, &c. and 27 socmen held here 8 carucates valued at 4l. it was one leuca and half long, and one broad, paid 28 gelt, and there was a church with 10 acres. (fn. 1) (fn. 2)
This lordship was given to the abbot by King Canute on his foundation of that monastery. In the Register of Holm. fol. 121, may be seen in the customary tenants and their services belonging to the abbey manor.
In the 23d of Edward I. William de Stalham aliened lands here, in Irsted and Beeston, to that abbey, and in the 9th of Edward II. the abbot, Reginald le Groos and William de Burwood were returned to be lords; in the 10th of that King, Henry Brook aliened 9 messuages 64 acres of land here in Honing, Berton, and Smalburgh; and in the 14th of Richard II. the abbot had license for the manor of Burwood in this town, and 10 acres of land in Potter Heigham, granted by John Thorp, of the yearly value of 62s.
In the 4th and 5th of Philip and Mary, the rents of assise were 14l. 12s. 7d.—rents of the tenants of Burwood 26s.—of the farm of the rectory, the manor and fold-course 9l. 10s. 2d.—perquisites of court - - - - -.—Rent belonging to the sacrist of Holm, 20s.—Beeston rectory tithes 26s. 8d.—for the homage of the town of Barton, Kybald's manor 8s.—for the tithes of Barton Grange, extending into Beeston and Smalburgh, in the tenure of John Easpole- - - - - -.—the penitentiary's rents 2s. 8d.—the pentors 5d.
It is intitled, "A note of all such sums as have been received of the issues and profits of Neatisherd, by the space of 10 years last past, by Robert Downes, Esq. and Francis Shilling, as also such returns of money as the foresaid Francis is to allow for the fine of such lands as be in his possession, by decree out of chancery, as also of such sums of money as the aforesaid Francis is to receive by virtue of this award."
Received by Robert Downes, Esq. here and above his allowances 67l. 16s. 6d.—Received by Francis Shilling over and besides all his allowances 141l. 16s. 11d. and he is to allow for the fine of his lands, by the decree 96l. 6s. 4d. and he is to receive of Rookwood in eleven years, by 10l. per ann. 110l.—Item. to be paid to Shilling, by John Amoas 6l. 13s. 4d.—Item. paid by Rookwood of the rents allowed to the Bishop and defawlked out of Shilling's reckoning 12l.
The Church is dedicated to St. Peter, appropriated by William Turbe Bishop of Norwich, and confirmed by Theobald Archbishop of Canterbury, and a vicarage settled, valued in oblations, &c. in 1262, at 8l. 13s. 4d.
In the reign of King Edward I. the vicar had a manse, and 10 acres of land, and was valued at 40s. in the patronage of the abbot of Holm, and the appropriated rectory at 28 marks;—Peter-pence 18d. the present valor of the vicarage is 3l. 13d. 1d. ob. and is discharged.
Odo de Lodered was presented to the rectory in the 15th of King John, by him, on the vacancy of an abbot; but by this presentation it seems that the appropriation had been set aside, or that the King disregarded it; in the year 1343, the abbot granted to the vicar several lands in exchange for certain tithes.
Will'ms jacet hic Emmyson Marmore teste, Ille vicar. ecclesie fuit hujus honeste, Impensis simul expensis decoravit eandem, Quinquaginta tribus tribris, sed funere tandem, Migrante luce pia qa. nata est Virgo Maria, Anno mil. c quater, quo simplex l fuit x ter, Exoremus ita sibi detur celica vita.