This town was at the survey partly a beruite to the manor of Tunsted, held by Roger of Poictiers; one freeman, who was expelled, had
the moiety of 12 acres, which was valued in Tunsted; many other
lordships extended into it, and this slender account is all we find of
this town in Domesday Book. (fn. 1)
Le Gross's manors of Sloley and Crostweyt extended into it. Reginald le Gross in the 37th of Henry III. had a charter of free warren
here, and in Sloley.
Reginald le Gross in the 7th of Edward II. settled it on Oliver his son
and heir, who was found to hold it in the 17th of that King, and in
the 14th of Edward III. by half a fee.
Another Oliver was lord in the year 1453, and gave it to his younger
son John; and in 1488, gave it by will to his wife Margaret, for life,
with the manor of Yemes in this town. This manor extended out of
In the reign of Henry III. Roger Bolour and the tenants of Jeffrey
Bolour, held the fourth part of a fee of Marshall's lordship of Scothow,
they extended here; and in the 20th of Edward III. John Chapman
and his tenants, held of William Bolour, he of Sir Roger de Hales, and
Roger of the Earl of Norfolk, late Jeffrey Bolours, and Thomas Yemme
and William Water, the 20th part of a fee, of the heirs of Robert Carbonel, and they of the Earl of Arundel. This afterwards came to the
The prior of Bromholm had also a lordship of the gift of William de
Glanville the founder.
In the 3d of Henry IV. Thomas Sturmy, William Thurlton, &c.
held of the prior the 20th part of a fee, and the prior of the Earl of
Suffolk. In 1528, temporalities of the priory were 35s.
On an inquisition taken at Norwich, July 15, in the first of Elizabeth,
Thomas Robkin was found to die December 8, 1558, seised of the manor of Westwick, with the appertenances in Sloley, Scothow, Tunstede,
&c. held of John de Dovel, by the 20th part of a fee, and left by Cecilia his wife, Thomas his son and heir.
Charles Cornwallis was lord in 1571.
Sir Richard Berney, Bart. of Reedham, purchased the lordship of
Bromholm and Westwick, and left them to a younger son, John Berney, Esq. who married Susan, daughter of John Staines of Weston, by
whom he had John his son and heir. John his son was lord in 1690,
and married Bridget, daughter of William Branthwayt Hethel, and to
his 2d wife in 1720,—, daughter of Maurice Kendal, Esq. of New
Mrs. Berney widow, possessed it in 1762.
The abbot of St. Bennet's manor of Scothow, extended here in 1428.
The abbot's temporalities were 17s.
This afterwards came to the see of Norwich, on the exchange of
lands between the King in the reign of Henry VIII. and the Bishop.
The tenths were 4l. 16s. 9d. Deducted 4l.
The temporalities of Fakenham Dam s.
The Church is a rectory dedicated to St. Botolph. In the 19th
of Henry III. Sir Peter de Hobois, steward of the abbey of Holm, released all his right in the town and advowson to the abbot. (fn. 2) In the
reign of Edward I. the patronage was in Roger Bigot Earl of Norfolk. Ralph, the abbot of Holm, released all his right therein in the
first of Richard I. by fine, to Roger Bigot, then Earl.
The rectory was then valued at 19 marks, and paid Peter-pence,
10d. the rector had 8 acres, but no manse. The present valor is
9l. 13s. 8d. ob. and is discharged.
The church has a nave and 2 isles covered with lead, the chancel
with tile; in the tower 2 bells.
Robert occurs rector in the 14th of Edward I.
1305, Barth. de Enepol, instituted, presented by Roger Bigod Earl
1324, Richard Beneyt, by Thomas Brotherton Earl of Norfolk.
1324, Bartholomew de Enepol.
1349, William de Atterton, by Sir John de Segrave.
1349, Richard Tuttebury.
1351, John de Stanton, by the King, on account of the lands of Sir
John de Segrave.
1361, Andrew Martyn, by the Attorney General of Sir Walter de
John Fordham occurs rector 1382.
1387, John Kendy, by Margaret Countess of Norfolk.
1393, William Dockyn.
1417, John Cuttyng, by Sir Gerard Ufflete, in right of Elizabeth his
wife, Dutchess of Norfolk.
1431, Nicholas Cuttyng, by John Duke of Norfolk.
1460, John Matt.
1470, Richard Havingham, by Alianore Dutchess of Norfolk.
Thomas Oldman, rector.
1493, Thomas Botter, by Elizabeth Dutchess of Norfolk.
1510, James Carman, M.A.
1513, Thomas Chanon, by the Duke of Norfolk.
1521, Nicholas Hanson.
1540, Thomas Whitricke, by Thomas Duke of Norfolk.
Thomas Conyers, rector.
1555, Robert Tayler.
1559, Edmund Rust.
1575, Edward Rust, by William Dyx, &c. assignee of the Duke;
in 1603 he returned 67 communicants.
1610, Nicholas Rust, by the Bishop, a lapse.
1634, Thomas Watts, by Richard Berney, Bart.
1653, Robert Blofield, A.M, by Thomas Earl of Arundel.
1670, Gabriel Wright, by the attorney of Henry Lord Howard.
1708, William Berney, by Thomas Duke of Norfolk.
1748, John Lloyd, by William Paston, Esq.
1748, John Fowler Ditto.
John Grundesburgh senior, of Westwick, was buried in 1473 in this
church, and leaves to the building of the tower 9l. and John Ratayle,
buried in the churchyard, 1460, was a benefactor to its building.
In the chancel a monument,
In memory of Bridget, the late pious, &c. wife of John Berney, Esq.
3d daughter of William Branthwayt of Hethel, Esq. she died July 7,
Here resteth the body of John Berney, Esq of Westwick, son of Sir
Richard Berney, Bt. of Reedham, who departed, &c. March 31, 1689,
leaving two sons John and Richard.
In memory of Susan Berney, widow of John Berney, Esq. and daughter of John Staines of Weston, Gent. she departed, &c. March 2, 1692,
leaving two sons John and Richard.
In the church were the arms of Brewse, and of Brotherton Earl of
Norfolk; Calthorp impaling Bacon; Wythe impaling Wakesham, and
argent, three oaken leaves vert, Okenham.
Here was the chapel of our Lady in the church, the guild of St.
Botolph, the lights of the Trinity, St. Mary, St. Ann, St. John Baptist, St. James, the Holy Cross, St. Botolph, St. Nicholas, St. Catherine, St. Cecilia, St. Anthony, St. Gregory, St. Erasmus, St. Eligius,
St. Margaret, the plough-lights of Fengate-street, South Gate, and