An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 11. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1810.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
BOYTON, OR BEGETON.
The principal lordship of this town was bought by Almar, Bishop of Elmham, and brother to Stigand, Archbishop of Canterbury, of Algar, Earl of Mercia, with the soc and sac, borderers, and all belonging to the foldage; there then belonged to it 3 carucates of land, 40 borderers, &c. 2 carucates in demean, 5 carucates of the tenants and a half, &c 16 acres of meadow, one runcus, &c. 140 sheep, and 5 socmen, with 32 acres, and 9 socmen with 50 acres of land, and a carucate, and 8 acres.
The whole then valued at 6l. and at the survey at 7l. 13s. 4d. It was half a leuca long and half a one broad, paid 12d. gelt, and a church belonged to it, with 7 acres, valued at 7d. (fn. 1) On the deposition of Bishop Almar, in 1070, as a person disaffected to the Conqueror, and the Norman interest. It was after granted by the Conqueror to William his chaplain and chancellor, and Bishop of Thetford, to be held of him as a lay fee, and at the survey made in 1085, he was lord of it in his own right, and at his death, about 1091, he gave it to his see and successors.
Of the see of Norwich it was held, as may be seen at large in Bradeston. Sir John de Casten and Robert de Boyton being enfeoffed of it; and Walter Bishop of Norwich, in the 35th of that King, had a charter for free warren.
In the 3d of Edward I. the jury find that the Bishop held it in capite, as a member of Blofield, and part of his barony. and Henry de Boyton held it of the Bishop, had a court lete, and the assise of bread and beer.
In the 3d of Henry IV. the jury present that Hugh Rightwise, John Boole, and their parceners, held here, in South Birlingham, &c. of the Lord Bardolf by half a fee, lands, late James Rightwise's, and Thomas Hindringham's, and several tenements, of John de Caston, by half a fee of the Bishop.
In the see of Norwich it remained till on the exchange of lands between King Henry VIII. and Bishop Rugg, in 1535, it came to the Crown, and on June 20, Ao. 34th of Henry VIII. was granted with the advowson, to Sir Thomas Paston with lands in Thurleton, for other lands granted to the Crown. Edward Paston was lord and patron in 1640, the patronage belonged to this lordship.
Hofward, a freeman, had a lordship in King Edward's reign, consisting of one carucate of land, 3 villains, and 7 borderers, and there was among them a carucate, 7 acres of meadow, valued at 40s. and belonged to the soc of Ralph, (Earl of Norfolk. (fn. 2))
On the expulsion of Ralph, the Conqueror gave it to Isaac, one of his Normans, to whom he gave for his services a lordship at Thompson in Weyland hundred, one at Wooton in Lothing hundred, one at Langley, one at Mundham, and at Lithing in the said hundred.
In the first year of Richard I. Jeffrey de Amblia gave 63 marks for license to try his right to his lands in Begeton and Longhale. (fn. 3)
In the 4th of King John, a fine was levied between Joceline de Burlingham and Maud his wife, William de —, and Margaret his wife, John de Depeham and Isabel his wife, and Emme their sister, petents, and Jeffrey de Amblie tenent, of half a knight's fee in Begheton.
In the 28th of Henry III. it was found by inquisitions, that Jeffrey, father of William de Aumbley, had a manse here of Roger le Bigot Earl of Norfolk, by half a fee, and that William was his son and heir.
In the 41st of that King, William de Lincoln had view of frank pledge, and held a moiety of the 4th part of a fee of William Ambeley, and he of the Earl-Marshal.—James de Lincoln had view of frank pledge, the assise of bread and beer, paying to the King 12d. per ann.
In the 37th of Edward III. a fine was levied, between Hugh Fastolf, Robert Benhale, and Bartholomew Antingham, knights, querents; Thomas Coly and Isabel his wife of this manor, 416 acres of marsh in this town and Mowton, conveyed to Hugh and his heirs.
John Paston, Esq. next possessed it, and died in the 6th year of Edward IV —On the 18th of Edward IV. the jury find that it would not be to the King's prejudice, if license was granted to William Waynfleet Bishop of Winchester, &c. to alien to William Tyberb, clerk, president of St. Mary Magdalen College in Oxford, Reedham Hall in Boyton, &c. (as in Brandeston in Eynford hundred) late Paston's, and in this society it now remains.
The prior of Norwich had a portion of tithe valued at 6s. 8d. (fn. 4) Thomas de Blomvile confirmed the grant of it by John de Grey Bishop of Norwich. The present valor is 13l. and discharged. Here was also a vicarage formerly, as appears from the inquisition books valued at 40s.