An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 2. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1805.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
West of Weting, and on the north side of the Ouse-Parva, stands this village, which derives its name from its site, a town of water or springs; as it always had the same lords with Hocwold, from the Confessor's time to this present, I shall treat of the temporal state of it in that place, it being now called Hockwold-Wilton, though in old writings, more properly, Wilton-Hockwold, this being the head town of the two. Domesday, fol. 49, tells us that the King had 3 bordars in Wella (which I take to be Hocuuella) belonging to his manor of Methelwold.
The Church of Wilton is dedicated to St. James; it has only a
nave or body, with a chancel, built of flint and boulder, and covered
with reed; the nave is in length about 57 feet, and in breadth about
30. At the upper end, near the reading-desk, lies a marble stone with
a brass plate thus inscribed,
Orate pro anima Johannis Buckton, qui obiit vo die Febr. Ao Dni: Mo ccccco ri. et pro anima Johanne Hroris eius quorum Aanimabus propicietur Deus.
Here lyeth the Body of Mary, the Wife of EDW. COLBORNE, sometime of Bramford in the County of Suff: Gent. Eldest Daughter of Robert Tyrrell of Wilton in the County of Norff: Esq. and with her three Sons, which she bore to the said EDWARD, viz. Edward, Robert, and Richard. She departed this Life the 30th of Nov. 1683, in the Year of her Age 44.
There is an ascent of three stone steps to the communion-table, and behind the table is an old wainscot partition, which runs the breadth of the chancel; on a pannel of this wainscot are two priests Kneeling at an altar, with their books open before them; on another pannel, the figure of St. John the Evangelist, with the cup, and a dragon issuing out of it, and on a label, In principio erat Herbum,, under him the portraiture of a man kneeling, and this label, Ora pro obis beate Jacobe; on a third pannel, the figure of St. John Baptist, with a lamb, &c. and a label, Ecce Agnus Dei;; under him the porraiture of a woman bidding her beads, and this label, Omnes Sancti lpostoli orate. pro nobis. On the pannels by St. John the Evangelist, are shields of the arms of the Lord Scales, Lord Poinings, Lord Arundel, Earl Warren, and St. George.
2. In Memory of the Wife of THO. BELL, her Maiden Name ELIZ. PAIN, died a Right of Burgess of Dumfres in Scotland, Nov. 22, 1725. (fn. 1)
When Norwich Domesday Book was composed, this was a rectory; the rector had a house, and 40 acres of glebe land, and the Prior and convent of Lewes in Sussex had the patronage given them, by one of the Earls Warren, who founded the priory.
1338, 16 March, Henry de Cockham. John Earl Warren, the advowsons of all the benefices belonging to the priory of Lewes being given to that Earl by the King, who assumed at this time the priory aliens on his wars with France, into his own hands, and Lewes was one of them.
After this, the patronage of the rectory, with the glebes, pensions, &c. were bought by the Master and Fellows of Gonvile hall in Cambridge, of Hugh de Chintriaco, prior, &c. of Lewes, and Sir Edmund Hengrave, with the license of Richard Earl of Arundel lord of the fee; (fn. 2) and the rectory was about the year 1350 appropriated by Wm. Bateman Bishop of Norwich, to that college. At this present time  it belongs to the said College, and is said to consist of one acre and two roods of hempland, and two common parts, containing 50 acres, besides 120 acres of arable land, with the tithe corn, &c.
1508, 28 July, Edmund Kypar, (fn. 3) on Cowper's death.
1720, 13 Sep. the Rev. Mr. Thomas Macro, A. M. the present  rector, on the death of Topcliffe. He was afterwards lecturer of Bury, and is now minister of Great Yarmouth, and D. D. and holds it united to Hockwold. The Master, &c. of Caius College.
This vicarage is valued in the King's Books, at 6l. 7s. 6d. and was discharged of first fruits, as appears from the answer of the clergy in 1603; the tenths were 12s. 9d. and of these it was discharged by Queen Anne, being in clear value 41l. per annum.