An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 2. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1805.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
THE HUNDRED OF WAYLAND.
Wanelunt, as it was anciently called, or Wanelund, (fn. 1) is bounded on the east with the hundreds of Shropham and Fourhoe, on the west by Grimeshou and South-Greenehou, on the south by Shropham, and on the north by South-Greenehou and Mitford. At the Conquest it belonged to the Crown, and paid 40s. by Godric, who farmed it of the Conqueror. It was given by King John, with the hundred of Grimeshou and manor of Saham, to Sir Roger de Thony, or Tony, and his heirs, from which time it passed with Grimeshou (as you may see at p. 148) till the year 1662, and then it was divided and sold by William Crane, of Wood-Rising, Esq.
Part of it came to the Wrights, and Mr. Wright, late of Brandon in Suffolk, son of the Rev. Mr. Wright, vicar of Stepney, enjoys it, and hath the leets of Thompson, Griston, Caston, Ashill, Ovington, and Threxton.
The hundred is a deanery of itself, denominated from Breccles, the head town at that time; it is subject to the Archdeacon of Norwich, had a bailiff and two coroners in Edward the First's time; it paid to the tenths 75l. 11s. 6d. clear. It was let at five marks in 1267, and at 3l. 5s. in Henry the Eighth's time; the manors of Breecles, Watton, Saham, Stow, and Merton, having their own leets belonging to them, render them independent of the hundred, which at this time  contains 15 towns, of which I shall begin with Breccles, the ancient residence of the Deans of Breccles.
This deanery was taxed at 6s. 8d. and the Archdeacon of Norwich received of the dean for synodals every Michaelmass, 16s. 4d. for synodals every Easter, 16s. 4d. and for Peter-pence every Easter, 20s.; (fn. 2) it was in the Bishop's gift, who collated the following
1466, pen. Sep. James Lawys, at whose institution it was consolidated to the deanery of Cranwich. (fn. 3)