An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 3, the History of the City and County of Norwich, Part I. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1806.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Of The City In The Time Of Queen Of Mary The Second And King William The Third.
William and Mary, King and Queen of England, began their reign Feb. 13, 1688, and were solemnly crowned April 11, 1689, by the Archbishop of York.
In 1691, four boys of the name of Crowe were bound apprentices, by the gift of Mr. Roger Crowe, and another boy
In 1692; in which year a soldier was shot to death for desertion, in Chapel Field.
Mr. John Larwood, an independent, was nominated sheriff, by the court, but would neither fine nor serve; upon which he appeared at the board of privy council, and declared that he had never received the sacrament according to the church of England, and would not, and therefore insisted that he was not qualified by law, so that they were ordered to sue out a mandamus to choose another sheriff, and Gamaliel Sugden was chosen thereupon.
Sept. 8, at two in the afternoon, an earthquake was sensibly felt all over London and many miles round, it was perceived at Norwich and in that neighbourhood, but not much.
In 1693, coals were sold in Norwich at 3l. a chaldron.
The court chose Mr. Wasey, and the commons Mr. Pinder, (both dissenters,) for sheriffs, who refused to serve as Mr. Larwood did, so that there were no sheriffs till Nov. 9, when by a mandamus, Christ. Stalham and Rob. Bene were chosen, but after Christmas, Mr. Wasey and Bene were willing to fine, and paid 60l. apiece, and Mr. Larwood was fined by the judges 5 marks, and left to be fined again by the court at Norwich, if he refused serving, on being chosen again.
Oct. 25, a conveyance was made by Mr. Stevenson, heir to alderman Tooley, of all his interest in the two closes without (St. Giles'sgates) of the gift of Sir John Pettus, to the 12 youngest aldermen, which closes were then leased at 20l. per annum.
In 1694, Queen Mary died of the small-pox at Kensington, Dec. 28; her funeral was on March 5, when by command the great bell of every parish throughout all England was tolled three several hours, viz. from 9 in the morning to 10, from 2 to 3, and from 5 to 6 in the evening. (fn. 1)
On the 24th of August, the court acquainted the executors of Mr. Rich. Ireland, clerk, that they had resolved to sue him for the money given to the city and hospitals by his will.
Mayors and Sheriffs.
|1689, Tho. Cook.||John Yallop, John Drake.|
|1690, Jeremiah Vynn.||John Arbre or Albrew, Thomas Turner.|
|1691, Tho. Blofield. (fn. 2)||John Freeman, Roger Salter.|
|Arthur Branthwait, Esquire, steward, chosen in the room of Rob. Ward, Esq. deceased.|
|1692, Michael Beverly.||Gamaliel Sugden, Peter Thacker.|
|1693, Robert Cook.||Edw. Clark, John Hall.|
|1694, John Ward.||Christ. Stallon or Stalham, Rob. Bene.|
Burgesses In Parliament.
1688, Convention at Westm. Thomas Blofield, Esq. Sir Nevile Catlyn, Knt. dissolved Feb. 6.
1689, Parliament at Westm. Thomas Blofield, Esq. Hugh Bokenham, alderman, sat on March 20.
Dec. 1694, John Ward, Esq. mayor, chosen to serve in parliament in the room of Hugh Bokenham, Esq. deceased.