An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 3, the History of the City and County of Norwich, Part I. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1806.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Deans of Norwich.
1. William Castleton, the last prior here, was made the first dean, (fn. 1) by the foundation charter of King Henry VIII. Ao. 1538, but he resigned it the next year, having a pension during life settled on him. He lived till about 1548, for in that year 40l. of his gift was paid to the court to clothe poor people with; and John Reve, his executor, promised to deliver a hundred quarters of wheat to the use of the city poor, to be kept and sold to them at six shillings a comb, whenever wheat exceeded that price.
2. John Salisbury, descended from an ancient family of that name in Denbighshire, was first a monk of the monastery of Bury, (fn. 2) and having studied some time in both Universities, entered into holy orders, and was soon after chosen prior of the monastery of St. Faith, at Horsham in Norfolk, about 1534; and after his surrender of that priory, was nominated by Bishop Nix, to the King, who appointed him suffragan Bishop of Thetford, and he was consecrated accordingly by Archbishop Cranmer, March 19, 1536.
Dec. 20, 1537, he was collated to the archdeaconry of Anglesey; and the next year, May the 2d, to the prebend of Yarmouth in the church of Norwich. (fn. 3)
In 1539, he was installed dean of Norwich, and in 1541, resigned his rectory of Creke, in Norfolk to a son of Sir Roger Townsend's, for whom he held that rectory, reserving a pension to himself for life, out of it; and immediately after, Sir Roger, and Anne his wife, presented him to Cleydon rectory in Suffolk.
In 1546, he was instituted to Lopham; (fn. 4) and in 1554, was deprived of his deanery and livings by Queen Mary; but was immediately presented again to Lopham, by Thomas Duke of Norfolk, and instituted again; that nobleman having a great value for him, procured him the rectory or Diss, to which he was instituted the same day, at the presentation of Henry Earl of Sussex, and held them by union.
In 1560, he was restored by Queen Elizabeth to this deanery; (fn. 5) and in 1571, was created Bishop of the Isle of Man, and confirmed in it April 7, when he obtained license to hold the deanery in commendam with it, together with his rectories of Diss, and Thorp on the Hill, in Lincoln diocese; and having lived here till Sept. 1573, he died in a good old age.
3. John Christopherson, D. D. a Lancaster man, bred in St. John's college; was first fellow of Pembrook-hall, after that, of his own college, being confessor to Queen Mary, was made master of Trinity college, and dean here in the room of Salisbury; he was installed April 18, 1554, and voided the deanery, at his promotion to the bishoprick of Chichester, in 1557.
He is acknowledged by all, to have been a very learned man; and among other works published by him in the Greek and Latin tongues, he translated several of the works of Eusebius and Philo Judæus out of the Greek into Latin; but being a strict Papist, he was deprived of his bishoprick and mastership by Queen Elizabeth; and Will. Bill, whom Queen Mary had deprived to introduce him, was restored to his mastership; and it is no wonder to find this man ejected, for we are assured, that during the Marian persecution, he came the nearest to bloody Bonner, (fn. 6) burning no less than ten, in one fire at Lewes, and seventeen others at sundry times, in divers places.
4. John Boxhall, or Boxall, was born at Bramshoot in Hampshire, and had his grammar learning in W. of Wykeham's school by Winchester, was thence admitted perpetual fellow of New-college in Oxford, in 1542; took his degrees in arts, and was esteemed one of the most subtile disputants in the whole University. Afterwards he entered into holy orders, but did not preach in the reign of Edw. VI. but when Queen Mary came to the crown, he was made archdeacon of Ely, secretary of state, prebendary of Winchester, and warden of Winchester college in 1554: about which time he was appointed one of the preachers at Paul's-cross, (fn. 7) in order to revive the Romish religion, which had suffered so great an eclipse in King Edward's days; and in his sermons there demeaned himself with so much zeal and eloquence, that the Queen heaped preferments upon him.
In July 1557, she made him dean of Peterburgh, and on the 20th of Dec. following, dean of Norwich, and about the same time, dean of Windsor; and after his installation, he was sworn registrary of the most noble Order of the Garter, Feb. 6, 1557; and the year following, was actually created doctor of divinity, and installed into the prebend of Newington, (fn. 8) in the church of St. Paul at London, and also into two other prebends, one in the church of York, and the other in the church of Salisbury.
Some months before Queen Mary's death, he resigned this deanery, and on Queen Elizabeth's accession to the crown, continuing a stiff Papist, was not only deprived of all his preferments, but for his zeal, was committed to free custody in the Archbishop's palace at Lambhithe, where he received exceeding kindnesses from that prelate, (fn. 9) who always declared he loved him, because he was no man for blood, for always, even in the hottest of Queen Mary's persecution, he declared against shedding of blood on religion's account.
On his falling ill of a violent fever, the Archbishop procured him a license, to settle in a near relation's house in London, where, after his recovery, he lived a retired life in ease, till 1570; for on the 28th of March, 1571, Edmund and Richard Boxall, his brothers, had letters of administration granted them on his death. He was a man of great modesty and learning, though he hath only a Latin sermon preached at London, extant.
5. John Harpsfield, a grand zealot, for the Roman Catholick religion, was born in the parish of St. Mary Magdalen in Old Fishstreet, London, was educated at Wikeham's school near Winchester, thence admitted perpetual fellow of New college in Oxford in 1534, and having taken his degrees in arts, entered into holy orders, was made chaplain to Bonner Bishop of London, whose cruelty he much followed; it being observed, that as Bonner was the most severe of all bishops against hereticks, (as they were then called,) so was his chaplain, of all archdeacons, which was the reason he deservedly fared the worse for it at the restoration of the Protestant religion by Queen Elizabeth,
About 1551, he quitted his fellowship, having then taken his degree of bachelor of divinity, as he did that of doctor, April 20, 1554, in which year his patron Bonner collated him to the archdeaconry of London; (fn. 10) and on the 4th of May following, to the church of Ludgate; and the 26th of the same month, to the prebend of Holbourn in the church of St. Paul.
In 1558, May 16, he was nominated by Philip and Mary dean of Norwich; (fn. 11) and about the same time, resigning his church of St. Martin Ludgate, was collated to the rectory of Laingdon, with Basilden chapel in Essex; and on the 10th of Dec. following, to the prebend of Mapesbury, in the said church of St. Paul; of all which preferments, he was deprived by Queen Elizabeth, and was committed prisoner to the Fleet, where he laid above a year, and was then released upon security given, that he should not act, speak, or write, against the doctrine of the church of England, which engagement he strictly kept; upon this, retiring to the house of a near relation of his, that dwelt in St. Sepulcre's parish, in the suburbs of London, he spent the remainder of his days, in great retiredness and devotion, and dying there in 1558, was buried in that parish church.
7. George Gardiner, D. D. on the death of Salisbury, was promoted to this deanery; he was born at Berwick in Northumberland, being son of George Gardiner of that place, Gent. descended from the Gardiners of Lancashire, as the grant of arms made to George, the dean's father, by Sir Gilbert Dethick, Garter King at Arms, April 24, 19 Elizabeth, testifies; by which the following arms and crest were granted to him, and his heirs, viz.
Gardiner, sab. a chevron erm. between three bugle horns arg. garnished, or. Crest, a man's cap sable. (fn. 12)
He was of the University of Cambridge; 27 years minor canon here, minister of St. Andrew's, and on Oct. 21, 1565, was installed into the fifth prebend in this church; and in 1571, was instituted into the rectory of St. Martin Outwich, London; in 1573, was collated to the archdeaconry of Norfolk; and the 28th Nov. the same year, being then D. D. was made dean here, (fn. 13) and chaplain in ordinary to Queen Elizabeth. He was successively instituted to the several livings of Swaffham, Hellesden, West-Stow, Blofield, Forncet, and Ashill, all in this diocese, and having continued dean 16 years, died in winter, 1589, and was buried in the south isle of the cathedral, for whom there remains a tomb, under an arch against the south wall, (fn. 14) with this inscription,
Georgius Gardiner Barbici natus, Cantabrigiæ educatus, Hic birit per 27 annos primo minor Canonicus, Secundo Prebendarius, tertio Archioiaconus Nordobici; Demum biz. 28 die nobembris, anno 1573. Factus est sacellanus serenissimæ Dom. Reginæ, Et Deranus huius Ecclesiæ; in quo loco per 16 annos Rerit hanc Ecclesiam, t tandem anima eius Feliciter migrabit ad superos. Omnem crede diem tibi dilurisse supremum, Grata superbeniet quæ non sperabitur hora. Hæc requies mea in Seculum Seculi Hic habitabo quoniam elegi eam Sibe bigilo, sibe dormio, Semper ea bor Clamat in aure mea: Surgite mortui, benite ad Judicium.
8. Thomas Dove, D. D. succeeded; he was one of the first scholars of Jesus college in Oxford; but being disappointed of preferment there, removed to Pembrook hall in Cambridge: he was made chaplain to Queen Elizabeth, who so much admired his oratory in preaching, that she used to say, unless her silver winged dove had been inspired, by that spirit, which heretofore appeared as a dove, he could never speak so sweetly. (fn. 15)
Her Majesty first preferred him to the vicarage of Walden, in 1580, he being then master of arts; and in 1586, to the rectory of Haydon in Essex, which he resigned in 1588. And the next year she nominated him dean here, and he was installed accordingly, June 16, and having continued dean till the year 1600, he was then promoted to the see of Peterburgh, and so voided the deanery, though he held Walden in commendam till 1607, and then resigned it.
He was buried in the north isle of his own cathedral, and had a monument erected to his memory, which was levelled to the ground by the rebels in the troublesome times, being hated by them, for his strict asserting ecclesiastical discipline; (fn. 16) but though in his lifetime they condemned him for coveteousness, they have since justly praised his hospitality; for he was a constant good house-keeper in his diocese, and great reliever of the poor; and though he had but a mean bishoprick, yet left a plentiful estate, having raised his family to knightly degree, to show (says our author) that it is not the moisture of the place, but the long lying of the stone, which gathereth the great mosse thereon. (fn. 17) In short he was of an unblameable life and conversation, except in one respect, and that was, in conferring orders upon such as applied for them, without properly examining into their morality; by which, he could not avoid doing great damage to the church.
10. George Montgomery, a Scotchman, was preferred by King James I. to this deanery, and was installed June 6, 1603. He obtained a confirmation from Cambden, Clarencieux King at Arms of the following coat, viz.
Before 1607, he was preferred to the bishoprick of Derry, Raffo, alias Rabo, and Clogher, in Ireland; for by that title, as dean here, he jointly with his chapter, granted to the noble Henry Howard Earl of Notingham, the office of high-steward of the demeans, manors, lands, &c. belonging to the church, for life, with the annual salary of 6l. 13s. 4d. belonging to that office.
11. Edmund Suckling, D. D. who was installed into the precentor's or third prebend of this church March 1, 1586, and was afterwards rector of Blofield and Hellesden, and on the 30th of Sept. 1614, was installed dean here, and so continued to his death, in 1628; in which year he was interred in the cathedral, on the north side of prebend Spendlove, but the brass inscription is reaved off his stone.
12. John Hassal, student in divinity, was first bachelor of law, and fellow of New-college in Oxford, and had afterwards leave given him to be created doctor of divinity, whenever he pleased, which was soon after.
He had commendatory letters to the chancellor of the University from William Earl of Pembrook, in which he assured him he had been a diligent and faithful preacher of the word of God, in the Low Countries, and had got a singular good reputation with the English in those parts, having been particularly favoured and cherished by the Count Palatine, and the Lady Elizabeth, his royal spouse, and that he knew him to be a hopeful scholar, and of good note in college, when he was with him at the same time, and of the same house; (fn. 18) and Sir Horatio Vere assured the University by his letter, that he had not only gained a singular good report for his abilities, but for his pious conversation among his soldiers and volunteers in the Low Countries, where Sir Horatio was commander of a regiment, sent to join with the united Princes in Germany.
He was domestick chaplain to the Lord Paget Baron of Beaudesert, and in 1604, August 15, was preferred to the prebend of Eccleshall in the church of Litchfield, and soon after became canon residentiary of that church.
In 1608, he was presented to the rectory of Bircham St. Mary or Great Bircham in Norfolk, being then minister also of the church of Brancaster; at his first entrance upon Bircham (as the Register of that parish informs me, under his own hand,) he found upon the parsonage nothing but a bare plat, open to the high-way and churchyard, without any building upon it, the whole being burnt down about two months before, in the time of Alexander Rawlyns, his pre decessor, all which he walled round, and expended 500l. in building the parsonage-house. (fn. 19)
In 1615, Dec. 20, he was installed into the third prebend in Norwich cathedral, having resigned that of Litchfield, some time before; he was afterwards chaplain to the Queen of Bohemia, (King James First's only daughter,) and rector of North-Creke in Norfolk; and was installed dean here, July 15, 1628, the Queen having procured it for him, and so continued till bishops, deans, and all the hierarchy were outed their livings and dignities, by the usurping powers. (fn. 20)
After his deprivation, he lived at Creke, in great want and poverty, being plundered of all he had, and dying during the Usurpation, left his family so extreme poor, that one of his own daughters was maintained by the parish.
13. John Crofts, D. D. though at 17 years distance, was his successour, being appointed dean by King Charles II. at the Restoration, being son of Sir Hen. Crofts of Tatingston in Suffolk, (fn. 21) brother to William Lord Crofts.
He was first a commoner of Lincoln college, afterwards fellow of All-Souls, where he commenced master of arts, and entering into orders, was beneficed in the church, but suffering for his Majesty's cause, (with whom he was a great favourite,) he retired to Oxford, to him, and was there created D. D. June 17, 1646, from Wadham college, in which he had then entered himself.
Soon after he was admitted to the consolidated rectory of Barnham St. Martin, and St. Gregory, and held West-Stow in Suffolk, united to it; (fn. 22) and it seems, as if he had then either quitted, or been deprived of the living of Newton in the isle of Ely, where he was some time minister.
He was made dean here at the request of the Lord Crofts, who had great interest with his Majesty, on account of his faithful services during his exile, and was installed August 7, 1660, and continuing dean till 1670, died on the 27th of July, in that year, and was interred under a black marble in the anti-choir, at the back of the dean's stall, with this inscription.
Memoriæ Sacrum, Reverendi admodum viri Johannis Crofts, Ex amplissimâ in Agro Suffolciensi Familiâ oriundi, Sacræ Theologiæ Professoris, et Regibus Carolo Martyri, Et Filio, Patris veré Hæredi, a Sacris, & Religione Cum Principe & Patria è Postliminio reduce, In hujusce Ecclesiæ Decanatum evecti: Nec minus coluit piissimus Filius, cum inter Utriusque Fortunæ vicissitudines non minus strenuè Quâm Modestè se gessisset; Morbo gravi & Diuturno Conflictatus (Rarum Christianæ Patientiæ & Pietatis Exemplum) Sexagenario paulò Minor, Victus succubuit. 27 Julij 1670. (fn. 23)
14. Herbert Astley, son of Herbert Astley of Plimouth in Devonshire, was a great lover and constant attendant of King Charles I. after whose martyrdom, he travelled into France, Italy, and Turkey, whence he returned soon after the Restoration, and on Jan. 22, 1662, was installed into the 3d prebend in this church, as a reward for his former loyalty; which accident happened well for him, for Sir Jacob and Sir Isaac Astley, acknowledged him to be their kinsman, preferred him to the rectory of Folsham in Norfolk, and procured him that of Thimblethorp also; afterwards marrying Barbara, daughter and heiress of John Hobart of Waybread in Suffolk, Esq. only son of Sir John Hobart of Hales, he was by the Hobarts interest, promoted to this deanery, being installed Sept. 2, 1670.
It appears, that at the Restoration, he had the King's letter to the University of Oxford, dated Sept. 20, 1670, and read in a full congregation in Oct. following, to be D. D. when he pleased; but he never completed that degree; being created doctor of laws of the University of Cambridge soon after. (fn. 24)
He continued here to his death, in June 1681, and was then buried in the nave of the cathedral, by the south side of the tomb of Sir James Hobart attorney general, and by him was his wife interred; (fn. 25) the inscription on the black marble which laid over his grave, gives him his deserved character, for he was a generous, publick-minded, and most civil man.
Reliquiæ Herberti Astley, Legum Doctoris, Obsequentissimi, dum vixit Ecclesiæ Filij Fidelissimi Regis Caroli Subditi; Quem inter arma & infelices belli strepitus Ad Aras usque secutus, Sanguineæ licet natalis suæ terræ pertæsus Parricidium & Anarchiam fugiens, Inter Exteros Turcas, Barbaros Infideles Decennalis Exul. Tandem per Carolum secundum [in Paterna Regna Stupendâ Dei providentiâ restitutum] Decanus hujus Ecclesiæ præfectus est, Qua Provinciâ per decennium feliciter gestâ Æternam migravit requiem Octavo die Junij Anno Ætatis suæ LXIII. Salutis MDCLXXXI. Cui Moysis, si post illum ulli quadrat Elogium, Mansuetus, Erat valde præ omnibus hominibus qui erant super Faciem terræ— Numer. 12.—3.
Barbara Uxor Herberti Astley
Hujus Ecclesie quondam Decani,
Quo munere fungendo,
Cum eximia Pietate, & Prudentia,
Singularem conjunxit Humanitatem,
De quo si quis amplius sciscitaverit
Adjacens consulat Epitaphium,
Illustri familia oriunda,
Filia et Hæres Johannis Hobarti
De Waybread in Com. Suff. Armigeri;
Frontem hujusce Ecclesiæ Occidentalem,
Non Magis Temporis, Quam Hominum
Restauravit & decoravit.
Per decennium superstes Marito
Filium unicum lmpuberem & intestabilem
Præmaturæ mortis Provisione
Hoc Monumentum, Marito, Sibi, & Liberis
Testamento condendum voluit.
Obijt 20 Martij Anno Dom. 1692.
Ætatis suæ 54.
By them were buried their children with the following inscriptions; (fn. 26)
15. John Sharp, D. D. was educated at Christ's college in Cambridge, and being a person of real merit, had the good fortune to pass through all the valuable preferments of the church, till at last he came to be head of it in one province; for being chaplain to Heneage Lord Finch, Lord Keeper of the Great Seal, he was made Archdeacon of Berks, Ao. 1672. And on April 23, 1675, the King gave him the rectory of St. Bartholomew Exchange, where he staid but a short time, for his Majesty presented him to the rectory of St. Giles in the Fields, to which he was instituted Jan. 3, the same year, having been also installed into the third prebend in the church of Norwich, on the 26th of March before, and on the 8th of June 1681, he was installed dean here. (fn. 27)
16. Henry Fairfax, D. D. son of Charles Fairfax of Meston in Yorkshire, third son of Thomas Lord Fairfax, (fn. 28) had this deauery conferred upon him by King William III. on account of his sufferings in the reign of King James II. when in the business of electing a master of Magdalen college, whereof he was then a senior fellow, in the room of their president, Dr. Clerk, deceased; he behaved himself with great resolution against the King's mandate, to receive one Mr. Farmer of Trinity college in Cambridge, for their president: for when the society were summoned to Whitehall, to give their reasons to the commissioners for ecclesiastical causes, why they would not accept Mr. Farmer for their president, and Dr. Aldworth for vice-president, and the other fellows with him pleaded, that they were governed by local statutes, confirmed by several Kings of England, by which they were sworn to admit none, president of their college, but one of their own fellows, or those of New-college, &c. Dr. Fairfax pleaded singly, that the matter then before the commissioners did not lie in that court; to which the Lord Chancellor Jeffreys answered, he was a doctor of divinity, and not of law; whereupon the doctor desired to see the commission he sat by; which angered the Chancellor so much, that he asked him what commission he had to be so impudent in court, and told him, that he ought to be kept in a dark room, and not suffered to be without a guardian.
Mr. Farmer being at length set aside, and Dr. Parker pitched upon by King James II. to be established president of Magdalen college, a second mandate was sent down to the fellows to receive him, and accept him as their legal president; but they in the mean time had chosen Dr. Hough, according to the statutes of the college, and resolutely refused to accept of the Bishop; whereupon Dr. Cartwright Bishop of Chester, Sir Rob. Wright, Chief Justice of the King's Bench, and Sir Thomas Jenner, one of the Barons of the Exchequer, being appointed for that purpose commissioners, were sent down to Oxford, who calling Dr. Hough and the fellows before them, warned the Doctor not to act as president of the college, and having admonished the fellows, and all the rest of the society, not to submit to his authority, struck his name out of the Buttery-Book, and installed the Bishop of Oxford president, and then put this question to the fellows, whether they would submit to the Bishop of Oxford, as their president by them installed, and set over them by the King's mandate. Dr. Fairfax answered in the first place, that he neither could nor would obey the Bishop of Oxford; and being again asked whether he submitted to the anthority of the court, he denied it, as he had done before at Whitehall. Hereupon the commissioners declared his fellowship void, and commanded him to depart quietly from the college within fourteen days. Then the rest of the fellows were asked the same question, and they answered to the same effect, and were all of them (being 26 in number) condemned to be deprived and expelled. Dr. Fairfax being in both places the most remarkable sufferer, was rewarded with this deanery, for his resolution and constancy, soon after the Revolution, being installed on St. Andrew's day, 1689, and enjoyed it above 20 years, dying in 1702.
He was buried in the cathedral, near the north-east part of the 6th
south pillar, and a stone was laid over him, which is now removed,
and placed between the 5th and 6th pillars, having on it the deanery
arms, impaling Fairfax, and this,
Hic depositæ sunt Exuviæ HENRICI FAIRFAX S. T. P.
Hujus Ecclesiæ (nuper) Decani Obijt decimo (fn. 29) die Maij Ao. Dni. MDCCII.
And on the east side of the 6th pillar, fronting Dr. Spencer's tomb, there is a very curious monument of white marble, the lower part consisteth of two trusses, between as many cartouches, (or scrolls,) and between them his arms, crest, and mantle, viz.
supported on the wings of a cherubim; above these is a cornish or ledge, on which the table is placed, in a frame of carved work, adorned with two columns and entablature of the Corinthian order, between two pedestals of books, on each of which stands a lamp, and on the middle of the upper cornish, is a shield with the deanery arms, and thereon an urn, enriched with a festoon of flowers, and these between two Cupids sitting in a mourning posture, that on the north side pointing to his grave: on the table is this inscription,
Hic jacet HENRICUS FAIRFAX S. T. P. apud Eboracenses Natus, Familiâ Antiquâ perinde ac nobili Fairfax illius Nasebiani Nepos, Si Speetes res gestas, Magni; si Consilium Pij, Academiam Oxoniensem, Cui hic pepercit, benignus Hostis, Propugnavit ille Fautor acerrimus, Maluit nempe Magdalenensis Socius, A Collegio decedere, quàm Fide, Ab obstinatâ Religionis Defensione, Illum nec Minæ Regis dimoverunt, nec illecebræ, Frangi non potuit, flecti noluit, Judices enim iniquissimos Quibus non obsequi alijs in Gloriam cessit, Ipse ausus est, et Lacessere, Terrens Magis, quàm metuens. Tandem, In hujus Ecclesiæ Decanatum assumptus, Periculi quod ultro subierat, Mercedem invitus tulit, Ubi facundiâ pariter simplex et moribus, Prudens æquè ac Liberalis, Severus juxta ac Benevolus, Quâ Virtute Universam defendit Ecclesiam, Ornavit suam. Obijt die vicesimo Maij Anno Dom: MDCCII. Ætatis suæ LXVIII. (fn. 30) Thomas Fairfax Hæres ac Nepos, Hoc Monumentum gratus Mærensq; posuit.
The 5th and 6th lines justly gave offence to Bishop Moore, and the chapter, who holding a meeting about it, ordered the words Nasebiani and Pij to be erased, as they remain to this day. The whole was proposed to be altered, and the designed inscription is printed in the Repertorium, at p. 72, but as it was not done, it is nothing to my purpose, otherwise than to observe, that he gave a large parcel of MSS. to the Public Library at Oxford, as that informs us.
17. Humphrey Prideaux, third son of Edmund Prideaux of Padstow in Cornwall, was brought up at Westminster school, and thence went to Christ Church in Oxford, where he took his bachelor of arts degree, June 22, 1672; and his master's April 29, 1675; while he was student here, he published a book intituled Marmora Oxoniensia, containing in it, an account of the Marmora Arundeliana, or marbles given to the University of Oxford, by the Earl of Arundel, with the inscriptions upon them. (fn. 31)
In 1681, August 15, he was installed into the third prebend in this church; and the year following on the 15th Nov. became bachelor of divinity afterwards was vicar of Trowse, and in 1686, being created doctor of divinity, June 8, was instituted to the rectory of Saham-Tony in Norfolk; and on the 21st Dec. 1688, was collated to the archdeaconry of Suffolk.
He resigned Saham-Tony in 1694, and on the 8th of June, 1702, was installed into the deanery of Norwich, procured him by the interest of the Earl of Notingham, as his prebend was, by the interest of the Earl's father while he was Lord Chancellor, "the calamitous distemper of the stone, and the unfortunate management he fell under, after being cut for it, (to use his own words, (fn. 32) ) having driven him out of the pulpit, and wholly disabled him from that duty of his profession, that he might not be altogether useless, made him set about that learned and inestimable work of his, the Connection of the Old and New Testament, connected in the history of the Jews, and neigbouring nations, from the declension of the Kingdoms of Israel and Judah, to the time of Christ; the first volume of which he finished in 1715, and dedicated it to the Right Honourable Daniel Earl of Notingham, President of his Majesty's honourable privy council; as he did also his second volume, which was finished at Norwich Jan. 1, 1717; the character of which work is sufficiently known, by the numerous editions it hath passed through, and by the various translations it hath suffered, there being few modern languages of any note, but what this work may be read in. Having published many other things of less note, though of great use, he continued a constant collector and observer on many learned points, to his death, which happened in his deanery Nov. 1, 1724; he was buried in the cathedral in the nave, and his stone is now laid between the 6th and 7th north pillars, it being removed from covering his grave, which is about six feet on the south side of the stone, as it now lies; the crest is a demi-Saracen proper, with his turban turned up erm. and the arms of the deanery impales
EDMUNDI PRIDEAUX de Padstovia Armigeri, Filius natû Tertius, Bonis Literis a pijs Parentibus dicatus, in Scholâ Regiâ Westmonasterij studiorum Tyrocinium posuit, Quæ postea in Æde Christi, Oxoniæ, ulterius provexit; Indè in hâc Ecclesiâ promotus, I° in Præbendarium XV° die Augusti Anno Dni: MDCLXXXIo.
18. Thomas Cole, D. D. a Shropshire man, rector of East, or Rainham St. Mary, and of West, or Rainham St. Margaret, in Norfolk, was by the interest of the Lord Townsend, his patron, appointed dean, by the King, and was installed in May 1724, and continued dean till Febr. 1730, when he died unmarried, at his deanery, and was interred in the chancel of his parish church of East-Rainham, being succeeded in the deanery by
20. John Baron, A. M. rector of the Saxlinghams in Norfolk, succeeded in 1733, and was the same year made D. D. by the Archbishop of Canterbury, being then Archdeacon of Norfolk, which archdeaconry he resigned not long after. He died at his rectoryhouse of Saxlingham, July 11, 1739, and is interred at Saxlingham aforesaid.
21. Thomas Bellock, D. D. the present  dean, as I am informed, is a Herefordshire man, was of Brazen-Nose college in Oxford, became chaplain and secretrary to Bishop Leng, and was by him preferred to the rectory of Ashby cum Oby, afterwards to that of North-Creke, which he now holds, and lastly by his Majesty, to this deanery, in 1739.
Since his installation, he hath much promoted what was long wanted, the repair and decoration of the cathedral church, which before, was not only in a nasty, but ruinous condition; the whole inside being, at the expense of the dean and chapter, washed all over; all the windows cleaned and mended, the nave and isles new paved; the stone work within, and great part of that of the tower without, well repaired: by which means, it appears in that decent manner we now  see it.
"The Reasoning of Christ and his Apostles, in their Defence of Christianity, considered, in 7 Sermons, preached at Hackney in Middlesex, in 1724." By Thomas Bullock, A. M. and chaplain to the Right Rev. the Lord Bishop of Norwich. The second edition, printed for R. Knaplock, London, 1736.
Vicars-General, Officials Principals, or Chancellors,
From their first institution, were always removeable at the Bishop's pleasure, and were sometimes called the Vicars-General of the Bishop in spirituals and in temporals, sometimes one was in spirituals, and another in temporals only, but in all cases, their patent died with the Bishop, and the vicars-general in spirituals till the Reformation, were always in orders, but then the office of chancellor, including the whole, since that time, the Bishop's patent, confirmed by the dean and chapter, is good during the life of such person to whom the patent is made, and whether in orders or not, such chancellor hath full power in all things as the vicars-general in spirituals and temporals, formerly had.
1326, Sir Adam de Ayremine, the Bishop's brother, afterwards archdeacon of Norfolk, rector of Geyregrave in York diocese, and John Skyren, rector of Rollesby, joint officials, vicars-general, and chancellors; (see p. 503.)
1351, Ric. de Lyng, D. D. archdeacon of Sudbury, then of Suffolk, and now of Norwich; Walter de Elveden, LL. D. chanter or precentor of Hereford, archdeacon of Sudbury and rector of Snitterton All-Saints. (Hist. Norf. vol. i. p. 421.)
1383, Master John Derlington, John Clervaus archdeacon of Suffolk, and dean of Chapel-field college, and Stephen Gilbert of Holt, otherwise called Stephen Holt, rector of Bernham-Broom and Oxburgh, in Norfolk.
1472, John Selot, doctor in the decrees, rector of Rollesby in Norfolk, and of Rougham in Suffolk, master of Beck hospital in Billingford in Norfolk, and of St. Giles's hospital in Norwich, and archdeacon of Sudbury.
1537, Miles Spencer, LL. D. rector of Hevingham and Redenhall in Norfolk, vicar of Soham in Cambridgeshire, archdeacon of Sudbury; and the last dean of Chapel-field college, the revenues of which he not only alienated, but swallowed up, himself obtaining a grant of it; and many other things; as an annuity of 4l. 17s. 4d. from the priory, &c. He lived to the age of 90 years, for there is a picture of him now extant, drawn when he was so old; (fn. 33) and dying single, was buried in the cathedral, between the 6th and 7th south pillars, and over his grave is an altar tomb, covered with a sort of touch-stone, which is robbed of its brasses, and much split, but was formerly taken notice of, because people used to try their money upon it, and the chapter demanded cer tain rents to be paid on it. (fn. 34)
1554, Miles Spencer, and Michael Dunning or Downing, the furious persecutor, archdeacon of Bedford, rector of Gissing, and N. Tuddenham, in Norfolk; (fn. 35) whose sudden death is mentioned by Fuller, among those upon whom God manifested much justice, in their woeful ends. (fn. 36)
1569, Miles Spencer, and William Maysters, LL. D.; he lies buried in the nave of the cathedral, against the north side of the 9th south pillar; his stone, which is now removed, showed that Gul. Maister, LL. D. Curiæ consistor. epatûs: Norwicen. officialis principalis. Ob. 2 Feb. 1589. (Repertor. p. 5. See also Wood, A. O. vol. i. p. 718.)
1575, John Beacon, A. M. fellow of St. John's college in Cambridge, afterwards proctor and orator of that University, was made prebendary of the 3d prebend in the church of Norwich, in 1574. Wood, A. O. vol. i. p. 726, calls him Thomas.)
1588, Robert Redmayne, LL. D. (see p. 561,) who though he always spelled his name thus, was of the same family with Bishop Redman, of that branch of it which first settled in Cumberland, and then in Lancashire, for on his mural monument against the north isle wall of Hitcham church in Norfolk, the arms of
Redman, or Redmayne, of Cumberland in Lancashire, viz. gul. three cushions lozengé erm. tasselled or, quarter, 1. a lion rampant or. 2. az. a fess between three martlets arg. and this motto, alluding to the field of his arms, viz. Sine Sanguine Nulla Trophaea.
Hic positæ sunt Exuviæ, venerabilis viri Roberti Redmayne, LL. Dris. cujus Dignitatem et Prætantiam testantur Copiosè, ager Lancastriensis, Academia Cantabrigiensis, Civitas Nordovicensis, Comitatus Norfolciensis, totusque fere hic alter Orbis Anglia, Quinque Episcoporum Nordovicensium per 37 annos et ultrà, Cum summâ nominis sui amplitudine, Cancellarius stetit dignissimus; nulli sui Ordinis fuit secundus, omnium Ornamentum; Qua Prudentiam, qua Pietatem, Eruditionis omnimodæ varietatem, vitæ Integritatem, et in omni re gerendâ mirandam dexteritatem, vir fuit spectatissimus, sed mortalis erat, Tumulus Mortalia condit, Spiritus in Christi vivit, agit que Sinu. Excessit vita 5 August 1625, Ætatis suæ 74: Obijt in Itinere, viator, Vivit in Cælo Comprensor.
Dorothy Redmayne Widow, sometime Wife of John Rolf of Hecham, Gent: afterwards Wife of Dr. Redmayne Chancellor of Norwich, after whose death, she lived a Widow 20 Years, and died the 26 of Oct: 1645, in the 80th Year of her age, and is buried at the feet of her 2d Husband.
1661, John Mills, LL. B. created doctor of laws at Oxford, Jan. 5, 1648. He was one of the visitors, and canon of Christ-church, and had been lately judge advocate of the Parliament army; but in 1651, denying the oath called the engagement, he was turned out; and on March 13, 1659, was restored to his canonry by the rump parliament, with the secluded members added to them; but on his Majesty's Restoration, was forced to leave it again; but by the favour of Bishop Reynolds, became chancellor here, and died in or near Doctors Commons in London, about 1676, having resigned his chancellorship before his death.
1673, Robert Pepper A. M. of Christ's college in Cambridge, junior proctor of that University, in 1663, incorporated into the University of Oxford the same year; afterwards doctor of laws, died Nov. 5, 1700, and is buried in the choir on the north side of the 16th south pillar, against which, there is a monument of black and white marble, erected with the crest and arms of
Annos circiter triginta Episcoporum Norwicensium Vicarij in Spiritualibus Generalis, Magnâ cum Laude functus est munere, Duas Uxores Duxit, Alteram Mariam, Filiam Gulielmi Brooke, Mercatores honesti, Alteram Eleonoram, Filiam Lumlœi Deaw De Bishops-Upton, in Agro Herefordiensi, Armigeri, Familiæ perantiquæ; Quæ, compluribus Annis, cum Marito feliciter transactis Pietatis Ergo conjugalis, fecit hoc Monumentum, At perennius multo condidere, Animi Probitas, Eleemosynæ, Pietas, ac Prudentia singularis. Obijt V. die Novembris An°. Dni MDCC. Ætatis suæ LXIII.
To the Pious Memory of MARY PEPPER, the loving and beloved Wife of ROB. PEPPER, Dr. of Laws, and Chancellor of this Diocese, one of the Daughters of Will. Brooke, of the City of Norwich merchant, who had Issue, two Sons and four Daughters, and departed this Life the 27th of April, 1676, at the four & thirtieth Year of her Age.
1700, Thomas Tanner, D. D. was eldest son of Thomas Tanner, vicar of Market-Lavington in Wiltshire, where he was born Jan. 25, 1673, was entered in Queen's college Oxford, in Nov. 1689, made chaplain of All-Souls college in Jan. 1694, elected fellow there Nov. 2, 1696; (fn. 37) made chancellor of Norwich in March 1700, rector of Thorp by Norwich, June 1706; prebendary of Ely, Sept. 10, 1713; archdeacon of Norfolk in Dec. 1721; and in Jan. 1723, upon resigning his prebend of Ely, was made canon of Christ-Church in Oxford; prolocutor to the convocation in 1727, and Bishop of St. Asaph in Jan. 1731.
He married first, Rose, daughter to Bishop Moore, (fn. 38) by whom he had no issue that survived him. Secondly, Frances, daughter of Mr. Jacob Preston, (fn. 39) by whom he left only one son and heir, the Rev. Mr. Thomas Tanner, late of Christ-Church, in Oxford, (to whom I must own myself much obliged for his encouragement given to this Work,) rector of St. Edmund the King in London, and of Mestham in Surrey, now married to Mary Potter, third daughter to the present Archbishop of Canterbury.
He died at Christ-Church, on the 14th day of Dec. 1735, and was buried in the nave or middle isle, near the pulpit, for whom there is a monument fixed to one of the south pillars, near his grave, with a just and true character of this worthy prelate;
Optimarum ibi artium Cultor, Antiquitatis item studio ita trahebatur, Ut in Patriæ Fastis, monumentisque eruendis, Nemo illo diligentior, Nemo in explicandis peritior haberetur; Hinc maturè evocatus, Ad Munus Cancellarij Dioceseös Nordovicensis, Auctus est, insuper prebenda Eliensi, Academiæ denuò restitutus, Hanc ædem Canonicus ornaret, A Clero interim Prolocutor renunciatus, Ad Episcopatum tandem, erectus est Asaphensem; Vir erat, Ad omne Officium summâ Fide et Diligentiâ, Rarâ pietate, Humanissimâ erga omnes voluntate, Liberalitate in Egenos effusissimâ.
In 1737, the Society of Antiquaries at London (of which he was a member,) published an excellent good copper plate of him, with his Notitia Monastica, which we hope to see soon republished, with many additions; Boston of Bury, &c. lying by him,
Dr. Robert Nash, the present chancellor, was appointed by Dr. Baker, then Bishop, to this office; and that he may long continue in it, is the earnest wish of the author, who would be guilty of the highest ingratitude, should he pass by the many encouragements received from him, without due thanks and proper acknowledgment.
He was born at Trinity Minories in London, being son of Mr. Samuel Nash, merchant and Lydia, his wife, daughter of Captain Rob. Cowley of Waltham-Stow in the county of Essex; was educated at Merchant-Taylors School; thence admitted of Wadham College in Oxford, was elected fellow of that college, and in the year 1734, was created doctor of laws, having been chancellor here ever since Jan, 27, 1731.
Archdeacons of Norwich.
2. 1107, Ric. de Bella-Fugo, or Beaufo, son of William de Beaufo Bishop of Thetford, whose son, Alan de Bella-Fago or Beaufo, seems to have succeeded him, but not being positive of that, do not insert him as archdeacon.
11. 1200, The see being void, the King gave this archdeaconry to Jeffery de Burgo or Burgh brother to Hubert de Burgh, Earl of Kent, the King's chamberlain, and after, chief justice of England; and in 1202, presented him to the rectory of Burnham in Bucks. And in 1219, he was chosen Bishop of Ely, but was set aside by the Pope, till 1225, when he was re-elected, and consecrated to that see, and died Bishop thereof in 1229.
Many have erred in making this archdeacon to be killed by order of King John, and the errour proceeded from his name being Jeffery, and from his being called Norwicensis, or of Norwich; whereas it was Jeffery archdeacon of Norfolk, in the church of Norwich.
14. 1235, John de Ferentine, the Pope's chamberlain, on the death of Bishop Ralf, was declared bishop elect by the Pope, as Simon de Elmham was by the monks; but the King insisted that neither should be Bishop, and so he was set aside; but had divers rectories and preferments in the church.
15. 1239, Simon de Cantetupe a Norman, called often Simon Norman, chancellor, and one of the great favourites of Henry III. a close friend to the Pope's legates, was removed from all his preferments except this archdeaconry, in 1240.
18. 1272, Thomas de Skerning, brother to the Bishop; in 1296, was appointed one of the auditors of the King's court at Westminster, (fn. 40) to hear complaints against sheriffs, escheators, or any of the King's bailiffs or ministers
22. 1340, 6 Jan. Thomas Fastolff, of the ancient Norfolk family of that name, from which the famous Sir John Fastolff afterwards descended. In 1332, he was rector of Stalham in 1344, was at Rome with Bishop Bateman, (see p. 507,) where he gat the prebend of Buckden in the church of Lincoln, to which he was admitted by the Pope's provision in 1345. Afterwards he had the rectories of Redham and Burgh in Flegg; and in 1353, was made Bishop of St. David's, and enjoyed that see to his death in 1361.
24. 1355, 9 April Ric. de Norwico, or Norwich, was presented by the King, on account of the vacancy of the see, he being then prebendary of Mapesbury in the church of St. Paul in London, of the same King's gift, whose chaplain he was. (Newcourt, vol. i. 174.)
25. 1361, 17 Oct. Sir William de Swynflet, some time rector of Hingham, and chancellor; (see p. 515;) he was prebend of Esh in the collegiate church of Langcestre in Dunholme diocese, and changed those preferments for this archdeaconry, in
27. 1407, 12 Nov. Master Will. de Westacre, rector of Watlington, and afterwards chancellor. (See p. 632.) He was born at Westacre in Norfolk, and was educated in the priory there, as was Michael de Westacre, who was presented to the vicarage of Runhal, by the prior of that house, in 1301. In 1416, he was trustee for the manor of Pagrave-hall, and dying in 1418, was buried before the altar of St. John the Baptist and Evangelist in the conventual church of Westacre, according to his own special desire.
He died at his house in St. Edmund's parish in Norwich, which he had purchased of his predecessor, Master John Derlington, and now gave to be sold towards paying his debts; and 20s. to repair the nave of the church of St. Edmund at Fishersgate in Norwich, and 40s. to the rector of that church, because he would not be buried there: 5l. for a legendary for the said church, besides a napkin and diaper towel to the altar.
He gave to St. John's altar at Westacre, his missal, a napkin, and towel, his best cup and gilt osculatory, with a silver cruel, and red vestment, for his chaplains to celebrate there for him; to the high altar at Westacre, his two best silver dishes; to the repair of St. Nicholas's chapel in Westacre 20s. and 20s. more to the repair of the chapel of St. Thomas (Becket) the martyr in Westacre field, and to repair the chapel of St. Peter of Stone (Peterston) 20s.
In 1405, he was rector of Crofston, in the diocese of Litchfield and Coventry, which he exchanged with Richard Kingeston, for Fakenham-Market in Norfolk, and was also rector of Great-Massingham; in 1409, clerk of the King's Chancery, and Keeper of the Hanaper there.
40. 1528, 26 June, when George Wyndham was installed; who, in 1512, was instituted rector of Danbury in Essex; in 1529, master of Rushworth college; and in 1531, became precentor of St. Paul's in London, which became void with the archdeaconry at his death; in 1543, he was presented by the Duke of Norfolk, who had obtained a grant of the turn of the advowson of this archdeaconry.
42. 1557, 16 Oct. and Ric. Underwood, nephew to John Underwood, suffragan to Bishop Nix, (see p. 546,) domestick chaplain to Bishop Rugg, and rector of South-Walsham, was presented by James Underwood, who in 1543, had obtained a grant of the next turn of this archdeaconry from Bishop Rugg. On his death in
43. 1571, 14 March, Tho. Roberts, or Roberds, A. M. was installed. He was of Oriel college in Oxford, proctor of that University, rector of Dickleburgh. Had a suit with his successour Gardiner, for the archdeaconry, to whom he resigned for a pension for life, payable out of the archdeaconry.
46. 1604. 12 Sept. Tho. Jeggon, D. D. brother to Bishop Jeggon, was presented to Sible-Hedingham in Essex, by his brother, patron thereof, in his own right, in 1594. And by the same interest became warden of Benedict college in Cambridge, about 1603, when the Bishop resigned it; in 1605, King James I. gave him the rectory of Esse or Ashen in Essex, which he resigned in 1607; and dying possessed of all his other preferments in 1617, he was buried at Hedingham aforesaid, of which he was patron before his death, as well as rector, with a stone over him, with this monitory sentence.
47. 1618, 13 April, Andrew Byng, D. D. was born at Cambridge about 1574, became fellow of Peter-house, and Hebrew professor in that University; in 1606, was collated to the sub-deanery of York; was prebend of Southwell, and died in the grand rebellion.
49. 1668, and John Reynolds of Merton college in Oxford, brother and chaplain to Bishop Reynolds, was collated April 20, and was installed May 25: he was admitted master of arts, July 10, 1629, and died in
50. 1676, and June 8, John Conant succeeded: who was elected rector of Exeter college in Oxford, in 1649, being then A. M. in 1654, he was admitted D. D. in a full convocation; in 1662, refusing to subscribe to the act of conformity, he resigned his rectorship, but upon better thoughts afterwards, he conformed, and became minister of All-Saints in Northampton, where he was buried about 1694. He married a daughter of Bishop Reynolds's, by whose interest in 1681, he was made prebend of Worcester: Wood says he was a learned, pious, and meek divine, but hath published nothing.
Proposals to the Reverend Clergy of the Archdeaconry of Norwich, concerning the reformation of manners, and promoting the interest of true religion and virtue, together with a specimen of the assistance they may afford their parishioners for attaining religious knowledge, and exercising Christian devotion, 8vo.
53. 1721, 22 Feb. Christopher Clarke, A. M. on the resignation of Trimnel; he was prebend of Ely, rector of Keston and Hayes near Bromley in Kent, member of the incorporated society, for propagating the Gospel in foreign parts, and one of the governors of the new general hospital at Bath: he died at Marlingford-Hall in Norfolk; of which town he was lord and patron, (fn. 41) and being a bachelor, his estate descended to Thomas Green of Grays-Inn, Esq.
The donation of this Archdeaconry is, and always was, in the Bishop of Norwich. It is valued in the King's Books at 71l. 1s. 3d. and pays 7l. 2s. 1d. ob. yearly tenths; it contains 354 parishes, divided into 12 deaneries, besides the city of Norwich, which constitutes a deanery of itself, viz. Blofield, Breccles, Brisley, Flegg, Holt, Ingworth, Lyn, Sparham, Taverham, Thetford, Toftrees, and Walsingham.
In 1350, King Edward III. granted license in mortmain for a messuage in Norwich, to be settled on the archdeacon of Norwich, and his successours, for ever; and how it came separated, I do not find; this archdeacon was always patron of the rectory of the church of St. Matthew the Apostle, by the palace gates, and constantly presented to it till 1376; and not long after, it was consolidated to the church of St. Martin at the palace gates, with which it still remains; for which reason, the spiritual jurisdiction of all the parishioners in the parish, which live on the side of St. Martin's, or White-Friars bridge, towards the Market Place, belongs to the Archdeacon, and is not within the exempt jurisdiction of the dean and chapter, but is the ancient parish of St. Matthew, belonging to the archdeacon.
Archdeacons of Norfolk.
3. Baldewyn, in 1147, he was living in 1166, for then John de Salisbury wrote to him, telling him, the honour he did him in knighting him in the city of Sens in Champaign, as he went to Rome, compelled him now at his return, to remember him with joy and thanks. (fn. 42)
7. 1198, Jeffery de Bocland, chaplain to the Bishop, and treasurer to King John; he forsook his master after he was excommunicated by the Pope, openly declaring that it was unlawful for any persons, and especially for the clergy, to obey him in any thing; (fn. 43) upon which he absented himself from his office, without license, but being seized by the King's officers in 1209, by the King's order he was put into a sheet of lead, by the pressure of which, and for want of sustenance, he died. (fn. 44)
9. Martin de Pateshull was archdeacon in 1226. In 1218, he was the King's justice itinerant, in 1224, he resigned the church of Dillon in the diocese of Hereford, was prebendary of Cadington minor, and at last, dean of St. Paul's, in 1228; he died Nov. 14, 1229, being a person of wonderful prudence, and very skilled in the national laws, as Newcourt informs us, vol. i. fo. 35.
11. 1237, 21 May, Simon de Steillard, (fn. 45) was presented by the King, on the death of Bilney, the see being void by Bishop Blumville's death.
12. 1237, Ralf de Blumville, rector of Thornham in Norfolk, a near relation, if not brother to the Bishop of that name; in 1237, he had two carucates of land in Glemham settled on him for life, by Stephen, prior of Thetford, and the year before, on a suit brought against him for Thornham church, he pleaded that he held it of the gift of Tho. de Blumville Bishop of Norwich.
15. 1267, Alan de Freston, who this year purchased the advowson of the rectory of Corston, of Robert le Burser of London, lord there; (fn. 46) and got it to be settled by fine on Roger de Skerning Bishop of Norwich, and himself and successours, and the Bishop consolidated and appropriated it for ever, to the archdeaconry, with which it remains at this day. In 1281, he was official and commissary (fn. 47) to John Archbishop of Canterbury.
16. 1297, Tho. de Kerdeston, of the ancient knightly family of the Kerdestones of Kerdestone in Norfolk, was this year, as archdeacon, deputed by the Bishop, to collect 3d. in every mark sterling, according to Walter's taxation, which was then levied for the Pope's use; he died about 1326, (fn. 48) having resigned the archdeaconry, and was interred before the Holy-cross altar in the abbey church at Langley in Norfolk.
20. 1359, 22 March, Will. de Blithe, rector of Great Cressingham, in 1362, he obtained license to enlarge his rectory-house at Corston, and to settle an acre of land on that church. (fn. 49) He died in 1374, leaving his brothers, John de Blithe lord of Corston, Hugh de Blithe, and Will. de Swynflet, archdeacon of Norwich, his executors: (fn. 50)
22. 1374, 13 March, John de Freton, rector of Great Snoring, who in 1366, was presented by the King, to All-Hallows-Staining in London, but it had no effect. In 1370, was made prebendary of the prebend of Ealdland in St. Paul's, having been the year before instituted to Snoring, which he held till 1375, he was presented by the King, the see being void.
23. 1385, 15 Sept. Rich. de Mitford or Medford, priest, the Bishop's chaplain, was admitted on Freton's death, being presented by the King, with whom he was in so much favour, that he was for his sake imprisoned in the castle of Bristol, by the Barons, but afterwards was not only delivered, but by the Pope's interest preferred to the bishoprick of Chichester in 1389; and about five years after, was translated to Salisbury, where he died in 1407. Upon his first promotion, he voided this archdeaconry, and in
24. 1389, 26 Nov. James Dardani, an Italian, at the request of Pope Boniface IX. was by King Richard II. out of his especial grace and favour, (but not to be drawn into an example, it being done in parliament with great cantion,) licensed to hold this archdeaconry, (fn. 51) he being clerk of the apostolick chamber, nuncio, and collector to the Pope in England; but claiming it afterwards by the Pope's provision, he was ousted; and in
26. 1391, Dardani recovered his archdeaconry, and on the 25th of March, was ordained to all the holy orders by the Bishop of London, by letters demissory from the Bishop of Norwich, at the title of his archdeaconry. (fn. 52)
33. 1419, 21 July, William Sponne, rector of Hevingham and Blofield, which last rectory he resigned to the Bishop in his oratory at Thorp, conditionally, that if he was admitted to the archdeaconry, and Corston annexed, then Blofild was to be void, otherwise not.
34. 1448, 14 Febr. John Halse, D. D. on Sponne's death; he voided it on his promotion to the bishoprick of Litchfield and Coventry, in 1459, died Sept. 30, 1420, and was buried in his own cathedral, being a great benefactor to Oriel college in Oxford, of which he was master. He is called by some Hales, and was archdeacon of Norwich.
41. 1529, 1 March, Stephen Gardiner, LL. D. on Winter's resignation, was presented by the Duke of Norfolk, who had got a grant of this turn from the Bishop. I take it this was the same man who was named Bishop of Winchester in 1531, though he was not consecrated till 1554; for in March 1531, he resigned this archdeaconry; his life occurs in Godwin, p. 298.
44. Mathew Carew, who was but 21 years old when he was made archdeacon, being dispensed with by the Archbishop, if he entered into priest's orders in three years time: in 1565, being then doctor of laws, and rector of Shencock in Exeter diocese, he travelled with Henry Earl of Arundel, by whose interest he was indulged thus far; for in the metropolitical visitation in 1569, he was returned among those not in orders.
46. 1619, 18 Dec. Francis Mason, was born in the county palatine of Durham. being son of a poor plebeian; he began to be conversant with the Oxonians in the year 1583 and of his age 17, and making hard shift till he was bachelor of arts; in 1586, was elected probationer fellow of Merton college; after he had proceeded in his faculty, he took holy orders, became rector of Sudbourne cum Orford in Suffolk, and was made chaplain to King James I. who usually styled him a wise builder in God's house; he died Dec. 1621, and lies buried in the chancel of his church at Orford; having published
The Authority of the Church, in making Canons and Constitutions concerning things indifferent, &c. a Sermon preached at London 1607, Oxford 1634, quarlo, 1 Cor. xiv. 40. From which, as also from the Epistle Dedicatory, made to his patron, Richard Archbishop of Canterbury, it appears, that the author was a zealous conformist to the church of England.
But that which worthily got him the name of Vindex Ecclesia Anglicanæ, was his book intituled the Vindication of the Church of England, concerning the consecration and ordination of the bishops, &c. as also of the ordination of priests and deacons, in five books, Lond. 1613, folio, composed by way of conference, between Philodox, a seminary priest of the church of Rome, and Orthodox, a minister of the church of England. From which book it appears, that the author was a general-read scholar, thorough-paced in the councils, and all sorts of histories, whether divine, civil, or profane.
"Whereas Mr. (Tho.) Fitz-Herbert, hath lately sent a book from Rome, against the most Rev. (Lancelot Andrews) Bishop of Ely, to which he hath annexed an appendix concerning the records and registers by me produced, desiring that some of their discreet Catholicks might view and consider whether they be true or counterfeit: Know therefore, that upon the 12 of this present May, An. 1614, his Grace of Canterbury, sent for Mr. (John) Colleton the archpriest, (Thomas) Leake a secular priest, as also one Jesuit called (Thomas) Lathwait, &c. and shewed unto them the register, and other records of his predecessor Mathew Parker, which they perused over and over, and found that the said Parker was (see p. 307,) consecrated in Lambeth chapel (and not at the Naggs head in Cheapside) by certain bishops that hath been ejected in Queen Mary's reign, &c."
This book of the Vindication of the Church of England afterwards came to the hands of Anthony Champney, an Englishman born, a Roman Catholick priest, and doctor of the Sorbon, and was by him answered in English, and dedicated to George Archbishop of Canterbury, not without some scoffs and reproaches given him in the epistle. But afterwards, Champney recollecting himself, thought he had not sufficiently consulted his own reputation, by publishing the answer in English, wherefore he translated it into Latin (intit. Tractatus de Vocatione Ministrorum, Paris. 1618, oct.) that this his pretended victory over Mason might be spread over all Europe. Soon after, our author to be even with him, translated his own book also, and intituled it (Vindiciæ Ecclesiæ Anglicanæ, &c. and therein interweaves answers, to Thomas Fitz-Herbert, priest, Henry Fitz-Simons, Jesuit, Dr. Mat. Kellison, A. Champney, &c. and withal dedicated it to Henry de Gondy Bishop of Paris, without any aspersions thrown upon him. This he did in 1619, but died before he could print it: whereupon, at the desire of the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr. Nathaniel Brent, warden of Merton college, reviewed it, examined the quotations, compared them with the originals, and printed the copy as he had found it under the author's hand, an. 1625, fo. which was reprinted at London in 1646.
50. 1660, Aug. 24, Philip Tennison, D. D. In 1642, he was instituted to Wethersfield vicarage in Essex, and was after rector of Hetherset and Foulsham in Norfolk, but in the Rebellion was ejected by the then usurping powers, though he lived to be restored to Foulsham; he was born in the isle of Ely, brought up at Trinity college in Cambridge; died Jan. 15, 1660, and lies buried in the church of Bawburgh by Norwich. (fn. 53) He had a grant of arms from the office in 1660, viz.
53. 1707, March 11, Robert Canon, D. D. on the promotion of Trimnel to the see, was nominated to this archdeaconry: he was rector of Southmere in Norfolk, of Bluntesham in Huntingdonshire, prebend of the first stall in Ely cathedral, and dean of Lincoln. (See p. 591.)
56. 1734, Nov. 22, the Rev. Samuel Salter, D. D. the present archdeacon, was collated by the Bishop, on the resignation of John Baron, D. D. He is also prebendary of the church of Norwich, rector of Bramerton in Norfolk, and curate of the parishes of St. George in Colegate, and St. Saviour in the said city.
In the year 1250, it had 443 parishes, and now there are reckoned 446, which with Norwich archdeaconry, includes the whole county of Norfolk, (except some exempts,) and contain together 800 parishes, there being in this archdeaconry, the Deaneries of Brooke, Burnham, Cranewise, Depwade, Fincham, Hingham, Hecham, Humbleyard, Redenhall, Reppes, Rockland, and Waxtenesham or Waxham.
Archdeacons of Sudbury.
6. 1266, Thomas de Ingaldesthorp; he was rector of Pegham in the diocese of Chichester, prebend of Newington in the church of St. Paul; resigned this for the archdeaconry of Middlesex; and in 1276, was dean of London, called dean of St. Paul's, and rector of Lambourn in Salisbury diocese; and in 1283, Bishop of Rochester, where he died, May 11, 1291, and was buried in that cathedral, near the altar, on the south side, with the character of a merry, facetious, hospitable, and praiseworthy man.
He was born at Ingaldesthorp in Norfolk, and was of the ancient knightly family of that name, which first assumed their sirname from that village. (fn. 54)
25. 1398, with Thomas de Hedyrsete aforesaid, who was then official to the Bishop of Ely, rector of Gillingham and Hese, a peculiar to the church of Canterbury; he died in 1405, and was buried in the church of the Austin-Friars at Clare in Suffolk.
28. 1413, Mar. 13, to Tho. Rudbourn, D. D. of Oxford, proctor of that University, in 1402, and chancellor in 1420, warden of Merton college, and afterwards Bishop of St. David, by the King's interest, who would have had him translated to Ely, but could not accomplish it. Pitts, fo. 599, gives him an excellent character, to which Godwin, p. 612, agrees, allowing him to have been a great divine, and mathematician, famous for his polite style, and universal knowledge in history, as the Chronicle, and the book of Epistles, which he published, evidently demonstrate. He flourished in the reigns of Henry IV. V. and VI. and exchanged this archdeaconry for the Deanery of the collegiate church of Tamworth in
35. 1497, Dec. 14, John Fyners, LL. B. he is buried under a stone
towards the east end of the north isle of the church of St. Mary
in Bury St. Edmund's, with this still remaining on a brass plate,
Subiacet hic Stratus, John finers sir bocitatus, Archidiaconus quondam Subburie fatus.
38. 1522, April 9, Ric. Wolman, doctor in the decrees, died in 1537. (fn. 55)
41. 1576, March 6, John Still, D. D. he was son of William Still of Grantham in Lincolnshire, rector of Hadleigh in Suffolk, and while so, was commissioned one of the Deans of Bocking, in 1572; was installed canon in the 7th stall in the church of Westminster in 1573: he was also master of St. John's, then of Trinity college; from whence he was promoted to the see of Bath and Wells, to which he was consecrated in Feb. 1592, when he voided this archdeaconry; he died in Feb. 1607, and was buried in his church of Wells, under a handsome tomb, leaving 500l. for an alms-house in Wells (fn. 56)
42. 1592, July 15, Tertullian Pyne, LL. D. on the promotion of Still. He was an Oxonian, in which University he took his degree of bachelor of arts, and travelling beyond sea, was made doctor of laws in the University of Basil.
46. 1667, Sept. 5, John Spencer, D. D. rector of Land-beach in Cambridgeshire, was preferred by the King to this archdeaconry; and in 1677, was installed Dean of Ely; he was master also of Bennet college in Cambridge, where he died May 27, 1693, and is interred in the chapel there, under a marble thus inscribed,
Hic jacet, Qui Magnum adeo sui apud Bonos, et Rempub: literariam reliquit desiderium, Vir rarissimæ Munificentiæ, pariter ac Eruditionis, Johannes Spencer S. T. P. Ecclesiæ Eliensis Decanus, Archidiaconus Sadburiensis, et hujus Collegij Præfectus; Qui obijt 27° die Maij. Anno Dom. 1793, Ætatis 63. Præfecturæ 26.
He was one of the most learned men of his time, as his works (lately republished) evidently testify. He erected the marble font in Ely cathedral, and gave 200l. for plate and ornaments to that church. There is an excellent copperplate of him extant.
49. The Rev. John Chapman, D. D. late of King's college Cambridge, who is the present archdeacon, and hath published, Eusebius in two volumes, against the Moral Philosopher; a sermon preached Jan. 31, 1743, &c.
This Archdeaconry is in the donation of the Bishop of Norwich, and is valued at 76l. 9s. 4d. q. is chargeable with first fruits, and pays 7l. 12s. 11d. q. yearly tenths. There were in it, 224 parishes, and according to the Parochiale, there are 247, included in the eight Deaneries, which belong to it; viz. Blackbourn, Clare, Fordham, in Suffolk and Cambridgeshire, Hartesmere, Stow, Sudbury, Thedwastre, and Thinghoe. (See p. 557.)
Archdeacons of Suffolk.
3. Ric. de Bella-fago or Beaufoe, some time archdeacon of Norwich, (see p. 638,) was by Bishop Eborard, at the request of Arthur, the Bishop's brother, made archdeacon of the whole county of Suffolk, the archdeaconry of Sudbury being included in it, till upon this archdeacon's promotion to a bishoprick in France, (fn. 57) the Bishop divided it into two archdeaconries, and gave the greater part, or Suffolk archdeaconry, to
25. 1331, March 30, John de Fenton, LL. D. chancellor. By his will dated in 1346, he ordered to be buried, if he died in his archdeaconry, in the conventual church of the Holy Trinity at Ipswich; and founded a chaplain in St. Margaret's church there, to pray for him, his parents, William Bishop of Norwich, and all his benefactors, for two years; and if he died out of his archdeaconry, then to be buried in St. Martin's church at Stilton in Lincolnshire, in St. Catherine's chapel there, by the body of his father; 5 wax tapers to be set at his grave, and 200 poor people to be fed at his burial; to Fenton church 10s.; to Margaret de Wellington his sister 20s.; to Sir William his brother 40s.; to John his son two marks; to Sir Richard de Fentone 20s. &c. (fn. 58) Sir Hen. de Fenton, priest, and Sir Rich. Bozoun, rector of Stilton, had legacies.
27. 1348, Michael de Northburgh, LL. D. the King's secretary, prebendary of Lyn in the church of Salisbury, which he exchanged for a canonry in the church of Hereford, and the deanery of the free-chapel of St. Clement in Pomfret castle, in 1339: the prebend of Netherbury in Salisbury church, was given him in 1351; and becoming prebendary of Donyngton in the church of York, he exchanged that and this archdeaconry, for the prebend of Strenshale in the same church, with William de Flisco, in 1353. He was rector of Pulham in Norfolk, prebend of Mapesbury in the church of St. Paul, and about 1354, was made Bishop of London, and died at Copford in Essex, of the plague, in 1361, Sept. 9, and was buried in St. Paul's churchyard, at the west door.
33. 1373, Dec. 20, John Clervaus or Clerevaus, chancellor; see p. 632. His will is dated in the Bishop's palace at Norwich, Aug. 19, 1383, proved the 23d of the same month, he was buried in St. Walter's (commonly called St. Mary the Great) chapel, at the east end of the cathedral, gave 100 marks to the fabrick of the church, and to every monk 3s. 4d. (fn. 59)
34. 1375, Cardinal de Alenconio, an Italian, was made rector of Groundesburgh, and archdeacon of Suffolk, by the Pope's provisions; which now (as Fuller in his Church Hist. Cent. XV. observes) were grown to be a general greivance to the nation, for when any bishoprick, abbacy, prebend, or good living, was like to be void, the Pope predisposed such places, to such successours as he pleased. By this devise, which he called provision, he defeated at his own pleasure, the legal election of all convents, and rightfull presentation of all patrons: he took up churches before they fell, while the incumbents were younger and healthier than his holiness: yea sometimes no act of provision was registered in the court, only the Pope was pleased to say by word of mouth, he had done it. So that incumbents, who were lawfully presented by their patrons, were often forced to buy off such provisions. This so exasperated the clergy, and laity also, that they made great complaints, and petitioned the parliament against such provisors; and among others, against this cardinal, who always dwelt at Rome, and carried out the revenues of his preferments yearly thither, to the detriment of the English nation. (fn. 60)
39. 1390, July 12, with Sir John de Thorp, for the church of Salle in Winchester diocese. He was prebendary of Coringham in the church of Lincoln, and of St. Stephen's Westminster. This archdeacon attempted to visit the clergy of his archdeaconry, by his deputy; for which, as well as for taking money for procurations, and receiving gifts or provisions, when such visitation was personally made, he was complained of to Pope John XXIII. who sent a bull to the Bishop of Norwich, commanding him to cite him, and make him restore double to all the clergy he had oppressed, or excommunicate him upon refusal. (fn. 61) He lived at Rippinghale in Lincolnshire, where he died Nov. 5, 1421.
41. 1445, Richard Beauchamp, LL. D. an Oxonian, chancellor of the Order of the Garter, and Bishop of Salisbury; on his promotion to the bishoprick of Hereford in 1448, voided this archdeaconry; he was translated to Salisbury in 1450, and died about 1481, and was buried under a marble monument in a chapel of his own building, on the south side of the chapel of the Blessed Virgin, on the south part of Salisbury cathedral. (fn. 62)
43. 1471, April 20, William de Pykenham, LL.D. he was rector of Raleigh in Essex in 1462, vicar of Hatfield Regis in 1465, resigned Raleigh in 1469, prebend of Wenlakes-barn, prebend in St. Paul's in 1472. In 1480, he joined with Henry Bourchier Earl of Essex, and others, to convey the advowson of St. Giles's hospital in Maldon in Essex, to the abbey of Bileigh. He was also sometimes rector of Hadleigh, and of Wrotham in Rochester diocese; prebend of Gaia-Magna in the church of Litchfield, and chancellor here. (See p. 632.) He built the grand gate or tower before Hadley parsonage-house in Suffolk, and was proctor of the clergy. (fn. 63)
45. 1507, John Dowman or Dolman, LL.B. He was rector of St. Nicholas Acon in London, in 1506, which he resigned when he took this archdeaconry: he was prebend of Portpool in St. Paul's, which he resigned in 1514, and was soon after collated to the prebend of Twyford in that church; he died in
46. 1526, and Thomas Winter, dean of Wells, was made archdeacon; and Edmund Steward, clerk, who had got possession of it, was ejected, by Thomas Archbishop of York, and Cardinal of St. Cecilia, Legate a Latere of Pope Clement, and Winter was dispensed with, to hold this with Norfolk archdeaconry, though the dignities were both in one church; he resigned it afterwards, and in
49. 1536, Nov. 1, John Skypp, D.D. he resigned: I much doubt, whether it was not the same person who was vicar of Thaxted, master of Caius college, and Bishop of Hereford; for one of the same name and degrees, was made Bishop there the very year this man is said to have resigned.
51. 1541, Feb. 8, Eligius, Elizeus or Elisha Ferrers: he was the last abbot of Windham, (fn. 64) and after, vicar of Windham, and prebend of Yarmouth in the church of Norwich.
53. 1559, April 17, Nicholas Wendon, rector of Witnesham, and prebend of the 4th stall in Norwich cathedral, was found not to be in orders at the metropolitical visitation, for which he was ejected in 1570, from his prebend, but not from his archdeaconry.
55. 1613, Oct. 6, Robert Pearson, D.D. rector of great Snoring in Norfolk, some time fellow of Queen's college in Cambridge, where he was tutor to the famous antiquary Mr. John Weever, who in his book of Funeral Monuments, fo. 864, gives him the character of a reverend learned divine, and bountiful house-keeper.
56. 1639, Febr. 1, Robert Bostock, D. D. on Pearson's death: he was doctor of the University of St. Andrew in Scotland, but originally of Trinity college in Oxford, canon residentiary of Chichester, where he was buried in Nov. 1640.
57. 1640, Feb. 27, Rich. Mileson, A. M. chaplain to Bishhop Montague, and prebend of Coleworth in the church of Chichester, from which he was forced to fly beyond the seas in the grand rebellion, where he quitted the communion of the church of England for that of Rome, in which he died after the year 1660, being legally deprived then of his preferments. (See Walker.)
58. 1660, Dec. 8, Laurence Womock, Womoke, or Womack, D.D. grandson of Arthur Womack, rector of Lopham, and son of Laurence Womack, rector of Lopham and Fersfield in Norfolk. This learned man was a great royalist, and true son of the church of England, as by his works is very evident; he published,
1. The Examination of Tilenus before the Triers, &c. To which is annexed, the Tenents of the Remonstrants, touching the five Articles, voted, stated, &c. And an Essay of annotations upon the fundamental Thesis of Mr. Tho. Parker, &c. Lond. 1658, in twelves.
This book being reflected and animadverted upon by Richard Baxter, in his preface to the discovery of the Grotian religion, &c. Lond. 1658, 8vo. As also by Henry Hickman, in his Justification of the Fathers, &c. Oxon. 1659, 2d edit, in 8vo. Dr. Womack came out with
2. Arcana Dogmatum Anti-Remonstrantium, or the Calvinists Cabinet unclosed. In an Apology for Tilenus against a pretended vindication of the synod of Dort, at the provocation of Mr. Rich. Baxter, held forth in the preface to the Grotian religion; together with a few drops on the papers of Mr. Hickman, Lond. 1659, in 12mo.
3. The Result of false Principles, or, Error convinced by its own Evidence; managed in several dialogues: whereunto is added, a learned Disputation, by doctor Tho. Goad, rector of Hadley in Suffolk, sent by King James to the synod of Dort. Lond. 1661, quarto.
8. Billa Vera, or the Arraignment of Ignoramus, put forth out of charity, for the use of grand inquests, and other juries, the sworn assertors of truth and justice. In a letter to a friend. London, 1682, quarto.
9. Suffragium Protestantium. Wherein our governours are justified in their proceedings against Dissenters. Meisner also, and the verdict rescued from the cavils and seditious sophistry of the Protestant reconciler. London, 1683, 8vo.
On the 22d of Sept. 1663, he was installed prebendary of Ely, in the sixth stall of that church; and in 1683, being nominated Bishop of St. David, in the place of Dr. William Thomas, translated to Worcester, he was consecrated thereunto in the Archbishop's chapel at Lambeth (with Dr. Francis Turner to Rochester) on the 11th of Nov. the same year: he died at his house in Westminster, on the 12th of March 1685, and is buried in the church of St. Margaret Westminster, leaving Laurence Womack, rector of Castor by Yarmouth, and vicar of Buxton in Norfolk, his nephew and heir.
62. 1724, Dec. 19, the Rev. David Wilkins, D. D. rector of Hadleigh in Suffolk, some time chaplain to Lord Chancellor Parker, the
present archdeacon, was preferred to this archdeaconry by virtue
of the Archbishop's option, on Dr. Prideaux's death. He hath
Concilia Magnæ Britanniæ et Hiberniæ, a Synodo Verolamiensi. A. D. ccccxlvi. ad Londinensem A.D. mdccxvii. &c. London, 1733. In 4 folio volumes.
The archdeacon hath a large house in Ipswich, near St. Mary Tower church, belonging to the archdeaccnry, which contains, according to the Parochiale, 306 parishes, divided into 13 deaneries, besides that of the town of Ipswich, viz. Bosmere, Carleford, Claydon, Colnes, Dunwich, Hoxne, Loes, Lothingland, Orford, Samford, SouthElmham, Wangford, and Wilsford.
Commissaries of the Archdeaconries.
Each of the archdeaconries hath a commissary, exercising jurisdiction in his archdeaconry only, according to their first institution, and are not required to be in orders: they are all appointed by the Bishop's letters patent, confirmed by the dean and chapter, by which their authority is limited, as to place and jurisdiction, but may appoint deputies if they please; (fn. 65) such as I have met with that have been commissaries in the aforesaid four archdeaconries here follow, viz.
1555, John Berry, vicar of Aylesham, a wicked persecutor, (see p. 274,) of whom Fuller in his Church History (Cent. XVI. fo. 24) says, "Berrie the remorseless commissarie in Norfolk, fell down suddenly to the ground, with an heavy groan, and never stirred after."
1521, Rob. Walden, rector of Eccles Epi. and Wilby. (fn. 66)
1533, Thomas Falke, LL. B. rector of Mundford. (fn. 67)
1553, Thomas Downing, vicar of Besthorp, and rector of N. Tudenham. (fn. 68)
1508, † John Jowell. (fn. 69)
The present commissary is the Rev. Mr. John Baker, A. M. rector of Garveston in Norfolk. (fn. 70)
1510, George (fn. 71) Mawer, rector of Ditchingham, and Eccles Epi. in Norfolk, (fn. 72) and of Alderton in Suffolk; in 1512, he was doctor of the decrees, and in 1513, had a dispensation from Pope Leo, to hold several benefices.
1743. The present commissary, is the Rev. Mr. John Tanner, A. M. vicar of Lowestoft and Kessingland, brother to the late Bishop of St. Asaph, to whom I am in a very particular manner obliged, for his great encouragement, and many favours conferred upon me, in the prosecution of this work
As the commissaries are appointed by the Bishop's patent, confirmed by the dean and chapter, so also are their several registraries or registers; every Bishop having power to grant those offices to two persons at once, during their lives, their patents are, "to the office of "register, actuary, and collector, of all synodals, pensions, and other casualties, and profits, within their archdeaconries."
Officials to the Archdeacons.
Every archdeacon hath an official, to exercise jurisdiction in their archdeaconries; they are appointed by the archdeacon's patent, confirmed by the Bishop, and Dean and Chapter, and have power to prove all wills in their archdeaconries, except those of noblemen, gentlemen that bear arms, rectors, vicars, and persons in holy orders; all which are particularly reserved, to be proved before the Bishop or his chancellor; (fn. 73) as others also may, if the persons concerned choose to do it.
In 1224, King Henry III. issued a writ to the official of the archdeacon of Norfolk, commanding him by virtue of his office, to return a list of all the debts owing to the King by the clergy of his archdeaconry; by which it seems the official was collector of the tenths and fifteenths granted to the King.
In 1274, the officials and rural deans of the bishoprick of Norwich were prosecuted for holding courts oftener then they had right to do, namely once in three weeks, and for intermeddling with other causes, than what belonged to them, which were only causes belonging to matrimony or wills, contrary to the dignity of the Crown; and for maliciously troubling and prosecuting laymen, and forcing them out of more than the sheriffs, and all the baliffs of Norfolk did.
And the jury for Clackclose presented, that the Bishop, archdeacons, officials, rural deans, and clerks, intermeddled with pleas belonging to the laity, in their hundred. (fn. 74)
1272, Master Rich. de Boyland. (fn. 75)
1557, Thomas Godwin, rector of Brisingham. (fn. 76)
1455, Robert Spylman, rector of Graveley in Ely diocese, and Snitterton in Norfolk. (fn. 77) Will. Wood, rector of NorthLyn.
As the Bishop appoints registers to the commissaries, so do the archdeacons to themselves, by patent confirmed by the Bishop and Dean and Chapter, each having power to put in two persons lives at once; their patents run, "To the registership, or office of registrary, and writer of the acts," of them and their successours, to collect the procurations and all other profits due to the archdeacons in their several archdeaconries.
Registers to the Archdeacons, are,
Norwich. 1707, April 3, John Ireland of Yarmouth, Gent. and John Jeffery, A. M. late fellow of Catherine-hall. There is a stipend of 5l. per annum for collecting the procurations, with power to retain it, in their hands.
Prebendaries of Norwich.
In 1538, King Henry VIII. having appointed a dean and chapter, in the room of the prior and monks, he reserved the nomination of the six prebendaries to himself and successours, Kings of England: and five of them remain in the gift of the Crown to this day; but the old valuation being dissolved, and no valuation of them being in the King's Books, the lord chancellor disposeth of them as being under value; the several prebends take their stalls now, according to seniority; but at first, each had his fixed stall in the quire, and their proper names fixed to the prebend.
THE FIRST PREBEND,
Called, the prebend of the chancellor (fn. 78) of the church, or the sacrist's prebend; to which the first stall on the south side of the choir next the archdeacon's, belongs.
3. Miles Spencer, LL. D. installed anno 1558; he was some time rector of Wilby in Norfolk (fn. 79). and of Terrington, chancellor of the diocese. (See p. 633, where his other preferments occur.)
8. Samuel Garey, S.T. B. installed Aug. 9, 1620; he was rector of Icklingham St. James, and of Winfarthing in Norfolk, (fn. 80) was outed of all, during the Usurpation, and died before the Restoration.
9. Joseph Loveland, A. M. rector of Wimple in Cambridgeshire, prebend of Wetwong in the church of York, installed August 7, 1660; he died May 20, 1695, in the 92d year of his age, and gave 200l. to the city. He was buried at the upper end of the south isle of the cathedral, but his stone is now removed, and laid between the 2d and 3d pillars on the north side of the nave. (For his arms see p. 471.)
Hic situs est, Josephus Loueland, hujus Ecclesæ Prebendarius, Qui (dum totus ferè Mundus Tumultû & Furore obstrepat) securus dormit, et felicem Resurrectionem præstolatur, non nisi novissimâ Tubâ excitandus. obijt xxo Maij MDCXCVo. Ætatis suæ XCIIo.
10. George Martin, A. M. chaplain to the Lord Chancellor Sommers, and vicar of Shrivenham, in Berkshire, installed June 7, 1695; on his resigning Shrivenham, he took St. Mildred in the Poultry in London.
THE SECOND PREBEND,
Or treasurer's prebend, (fn. 81) to which, the first stall next to the archdeacon's on the north side of the quire, belongs.
2. Robert Talbot, A. M. rector of Birlingham St. Peter's, was installed April 9, 1547. He was a most ingenious and industrious antiquary, and what by love or money he collected a valuable collection of rare manuscripts, most of which are now in Bennet college Library, where also remain, of his own hand writing, a Treatise of the ancient Charters of the Kings; a Collection of old Rhymes, and Verses, &c. But his most celebrated work is that of his Commentaries on the Itinerary of Antoninus; a copy of which, much inlarged by Dr. Caius, is now in the library of his own college.
8. Nicholas Howlet, S. T. P. vicar of Mattishal, rector of Reepham, and after of Winterton, installed March 27, 1618. He was outed of all, and died before the Restoration; but could better bear the common calamity, than others, because he was a wealthy man, having a good temporal estate of his own, according to Walker, Part. II. fo. 57.
9. Vincent Peirse, S.T.P. curate of St. Mary in Thetford, in 1639, rector of Sidestern in Norfolk, Wangford and Withersfield in Suffolk; installed August 7, 1660. He was chaplain to Charles I. Charles II. and King James II. died April 4, 1673, and was interred in the choir, more west than Dean Suckling and his wife, with this inscription,
Vicentius Pearce, S.S. Theologiæ Professor, tribus Augustissimis Regibus hujus Regni inclitissimi Capellanus, & hujus Ecclesiæ Cathedralis Præbendarius, post Iter candidum Octoginta annorum Feliciter peregit, quarto die Aprilis Anno Christi 1673, ad Cœlum properavit,
10. Nat. Hodges, A. M. prebendary of Gloucester, and chaplain to the Earl of Shaftsbury, while Lord Chancellor of England, installed May 2, 1673. He was proctor of the University of Oxford in 1666, being then a member of Christ Church; and died August 28, 1700, aged 66, and was interred in the body of the church; his stone is now removed and laid between the 9th and the 10th north pillars. His arms see at p. 471.
Reliquiæ Nathanielis Hodges A. M. Viri Doctrinâ et Sapientiâ ornatissimi, probi, et bene Morati, Qui Ædis primum Christi apud Oxoniensis socius; In eâdem academiâ Procuratoris, et moralis Philosophiæ Prælectoris officium, summâ cum laude præstitit, Ecclesiæ tandem Norwicensis, et Gloucestrensis Canonicus, cujus omnis Religio, quum vere cœlestis fuit (virtus scilicet omnimodum animi Deo conjunxit) Justitiam, Bonitatemque, Divinam imitando coluit, Pietatem non cavendo Pius; Annos natus LXVI. Denatus est Aug. XXVIII, Anno Dom. MDCC.
11. Thomas Littel, S. T. P. chaplain to the Lord Keeper Wright, installed Sept. 11, 1700; he was minister of Lyn Regis in Norfolk, and rector of Tyd in Lincolnshire, was educated at Emanuel college in Cambridge; and dying April 20, 1731, in the 66th year of his age, was buried in the choir, to whose memory there is a handsome monument erected against the south side of the 16th north pillar, with the following inscription and arms of
Quò diutius privatus latere non potuit, Hunc enim ob Publica in Juventutem merita Et privatas in Filium suum Natû Maximum Curas, ad hujus Ecclesiæ Prebendam evocavit Vir amplissimus, tum REGI a sigillo Magno, Amplum cerlè hoc summi amoris pignus erat Nè dicam amplius quod et insperatum, At quantum, quantum meritis tamen Impar esse judicavit, qui dedit: adjectâ Multos post annos Rectoriâ de Tidd In agro Lincolniensi, ulterius Favoris Testimonio.
In eodem Dormitorio reconduntur Exuvæ, SARÆ predicti THO: LITTELL S.T.P. conjugis dilectissimæ, cujus virtutibus tam privatis quam conjugalibus non est quod addam, Cum vir amplissimus BENJAMINUS WRENCH Eques, illam secundis Nuptijs honestare dignatus est, Obijt 6° Julij Anno Dni: 1737° Ætatis suæ 54°.
12. The Rev. Henry Gally, D. D. the present prebendary in this stall, chaplain to the then Lord Chancellor of England, was installed 27th of May 1731; in 1732, he was presented by the Lord Chancellor to the rectory of St. Giles in the Fields in London, vacant by the death of Bishop Baker, and is chaplain in ordinary to his present Majesty.
Or precentor's prebend, (fn. 82) to which the second stall from the archdeacon's, on the south side of the choir, belongs,
1. Henry Manuel or Mannel precentor of the late monastery, in which he was admitted monk in 1502, and had served the several offices of almoner, keeper of the infirmary, chamberlain and master of Norman's hospital, was made prebend by the charter in 1538; he was rector of Wotton in Norfolk.
7. Edward Younge, S. T. P. rector of Hadstok in Essex, installed Sept. 27, 1628; this worthy man was an intimate friend and companion of Bishop Brownrigg's, by whose interest he was preferred to the archdeaconry of Exeter in 1643, and to a prebend in that church the same year, and was also rector of Anstie in Hertfordshire. After the Restoration he was admitted canon residentiary of Exeter, and was installed 22d Dec. 1660, having suffered by sequestration, &c. for the royal cause, during the Usurpation; in 1662, Aug. 21, he was elected dean of Exeter, and then resigned his prebendship, of Norwich. He had also the rich living of Up-loman in Devonshire, but enjoyed these preferments not long, for he died in 1663, and settled 40l. a year out of an estate in Furneaux-Pelham, to be divided among the poor of the parish of Braughing in Hertfordshire, upon the 29th of May, to rejoice for the King's restoration; by which it seems as if he was a native of this place, as he had no preferment here to induce him to do it, on that account. (fn. 83)
9. Joshua Jones, A. M. chaplain to Mr. Coke of Holkham, installed Sept. 10, 1670. (fn. 84)
THE FOURTH PREBEND, Or prebend of the archdeacon of the cathedral church of Norwich, (fn. 85) to which the 2d stall from the archdeacon's on the north side of the church belongs.
2. Henry King, S. T. P. installed in 1548; he was vicar of Wimondham in Norfolk, (fn. 86) rector of Great and Little Fransham; was deprived of all in the beginning of Queen Mary's reign, and being reconciled, became rector of Winterton, in 1557.
5. Nicholas Wendon, LL. D. installed June 4, 1561. In Archbishop Parker's metropolitical visitation, he was was returned not to be in orders, although rector of Witnesham, that he lived at Lownde in Suffolk, and was no minister, having gone in a cloak and a Spanish rapier by his side, on which he was ejected out of the prebend; but not from his archdeaconry of Suffolk. (See p. 654.)
6. Robert Johnson, S. T. B. chaplain to the Lord Keeper Bacon, installed May 26, 1570, on Dr. Wendon's ejection, for not being in priest's orders. He was son of Maurice Johnson, alderman of Stanford in Lincolnshire, twice prebendary of Rochester, which he twice resigned. In 1572, he was canon of Windsor; in 1591, archdeacon of Leycester, honorary fellow of Jesus college in Oxford. He founded two grammar schools in Rutlandshire, one at Upingham, and another at Okeham; two hospitals also in the same county, (which he endowed) and four exhibitioners in Sidney college in Cambridge, to come from the said free-schools; and was a benefactor to the weekly preachers at St. Paul's cross in London. He died Aug. 1, 1625, being rector or North Luffenham in Rutlandshire.
10. Edmund Porter, S. T. P. chaplain to the Lord Keeper Coventry rector of Hevingham in Norfolk, and vicar of Ubbeston in Suffolk, installed Jan. 9, 1627. He was born at Worcester, bred in St. John's college in Cambridge, where he became fellow; was a man of parts and learning, as appears by the books he published; among which, one is intitled, Christofagia, or the Mistery of eating the Flesh, and Drinking the Blood of Christ; or the modus or manner thereof discovered. London 1679.
Another is intituled, God incarnate, showing that Jesus Christ is the only and most high God. London 1655, oct. (fn. 87)
He was a man of great dexterity in managing the affairs of the church; and though he was sequestered from his prebend, having provoked the party more than any of his brethren, yet he was permitted to live quietly on a small estate he had of his own, till the Restoration, with which he was also restored, and lived till 1670, leaving Sir Charles Porter, his son, who was twice Lord Chancellor of Ireland. He was buried in the cathedral in the south isle, in that part of it which is by the 9th and 10th south pillars, between which, on the south wall, is erected a monument with this inscription,
Edmundus Porter Vigorniæ natus, S. Theologiæ Professsor Olim Collegij S. Johannis in Academiâ Cantabrig. socius, Dein hujus Ecclesiæ Præbendarius, quam ingenio præstant, Eruditione perfecta, moribus Antiquis per XLIII annos Cohonestavit, Ecclesiæ Anglo-Catholicæ filius devotissimus; Annis & virtutibus canus, fato cessit, Octobris quinto, anno Dom: MDCLXX.
11. William Smith, S. T. P. born at Paston in Norfolk, brought up at Corpus Christi college in Cambridge, vicar of Mendlesham, and rector of Cotton in Suffolk, and Harleston in Norfolk, installed Oct. 18, 1670.
13. Queen Anne by letters patent dated April 26, in the 13th year of her reign, granted a canonship, (fn. 87) or that prebend of the cathedral church of Norwich, that should first happen to be vacant, to be annexed to the mastership of Catherine hall in Cambridge, for ever, which was confirmed the next year by act of parliament, and this prebend first falling by Broadrep's death,
Thomas Sherlock, D. D. son of the very Rev. Dr. Will. Sherlock, Dean of St. Paul's, became prebendary, as master of Catherine hall aforesaid, July 10, 1719. He was dean of Chichester; and having passed through many preferments, is the present worthy Bishop of Salisbury, sufficiently known by his learned works.
THE FIFTH PREBEND, Or the prebend of Lyn, (fn. 88) to which the third stall from the archdeacon's, on the south side of the choir, belongs.
1. Nicholas Thurkill, alias Attleburgh, monk of Norwich, and the last prior of the cell at Hoxne, (see p. 610,) was made prebendary by the charter in 1538, but resigned very soon; he was alive April 20, 1554, and was forced to be divorced from Jane West his wife, and suspended from the vicarage of Wigenhall St. Mary, for being a married priest.
2. John Hallibread alias Stokes, S. T. P. rector of Westerfield in Suffolk, and Weeting All-Saints in Norfolk, (fn. 89) was installed in 1539, and resigned in 1565; and one of that name (if not the same person) was minor canon here in 1571.
6. Foulke Roberts, S. T. B. installed Febr. 16, 1615; he was vicar of Trows, rector of St. Clement, and minister of St. Saviour in Norwich; but was turned out of all, and forced to live in great poverty to his death: he was a learned man, author of several books, two of which were very much esteemed, viz.
He was a constant preacher in Norwich, till he was sequestered, and was of Cambridge University; incorporated in that of Oxford, and some time rector of Offley in Hertfordshire. He is interred on the west side of the south cross-isle or transept, with this inscription on a marble stone.
Fulco Robartes S. Theologiæ Baccalaureus, hujus Ecclesiæ Cathedralis Præbendarius, Parochiæ Sancti Clementis Rector, vir probus ac fidelis, per annos circiter Quinquaginta, verbi Dei Concionator, obijt in Domino 1 Apr. MDCL. Ætatis suæ LXXI.
7. George Kent, A. M. installed Aug. 21, 1660. He was rector of Tivetshall in Norfolk, (fn. 90) and lies buried in the quire on the north side of Bishop Goldwell's tomb, with this only,
8. William Hawkings, S. T. P. chaplain to Bishop Reynolds, installed Nov. 1, 1668. He was rector of Draiton and Great Cressingham, and some time minister of St. Peter of Mancroft in Norwich. He was of Magdalen college in Oxford.
7. Thomas Smith, A. M. installed March 14, 1561. He was certified to the Archbishop at his visitation, to live at Swinested in Lincolnshire; and that he was not a preacher, not being in orders, upon which he was ejected.
9. William Whitacre, S. T. P. the famous professor of divinity in Cambridge, and Master of St. John's college, installed Febr. 3, 1577, author of several excellent treatises. He was originally of Trinity college, made master of St. John's by the Queen's mandate, a long account of which may be seen in Fuller's Hist. of Cambridge, fo. 97, 151.
11. John Spendlove, A. M. rector of Stratton-Strawless and Skeyton, installed June 24, 1616. On his being ejected in the time of the Usurpation, he lived very poorly, having only 2s. 6d. a week allowed him by the sequestrators, for which he was forced to wait every week on one Sam. Cawthorn, a cutler, a vile wretch, though much in confidence with the then prevailing party; whose pleasure he was forced to attend, and often hear his insolence with abundance of patience, for this pitifull allowance, whereby to be kept from starving, all else that he had being taken from him; which reduced him to so low a condition, that on the restoration of the church, being arrested for debts contracted in the time of his sequestration, he continued a prisoner, through his inability to pay them, almost all his life after; he was buried in the choir, between the steps of the altar, and the passage going into the north isle, with this on a brass plate.
12. John Rhodes, A. M. rector of Barton-Mills, installed Sept. 5, 1666. In the old disused singing school, on the north side of the twentieth and twenty-first north pillars, lie two gravestones thus inscribed,
13. Ezekias Burton, S. T. P. chaplain to the Lord Keeper Orlando Bridgeman, and rector of St. George in Southwark, installed Oct. 24, 1667; he was fellow of Magdalen in Cambridge, rector of Barnes in Surrey, died in 1681; and afterwards had published in his name, several discourses, viz.
14. Rich. Kidder, S. T. P. rector of St. Martin Outwich London, installed Sept. 16, 1681; this learned man was born in Suffolk, promoted to the deanery of Peterburgh, and afterwards to the bishoprick of Bath and Wells. He hath publihed, Convivium Cæleste, a plain and familiar discourse concerning the Lord's Supper; showing at once the nature of the Sacrament, as also the right of preparing ourselves for the receiving of it; and many other elegant books; an account of which may be seen in Wood Ath. Ox. vol. ii. fo. 801.