An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 4, the History of the City and County of Norwich, Part II. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1806.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
EAST WIMER WARD,
(93) The Church of St. Peter of Hungate, or Houndes-Gate,
Is one of the ancient churches of the city, and is so called from the hounds which formerly were kept near it for the Bishop's use, when the house belonging to the see stood in the parish of St. Simon and Jude, where now is the Maid's-head, and other houses.
It is a rectory valued at 30s. but was not taxed; it paid 3d. synodals, and afterwards 6d. and 9d. q. procurations; it was valued at 3l. 1s. 5d. ob. in the King's Books, and paid no first fruits; being now discharged of tenths, it is augmented with 200l. of the late Queen's bounty.
In 1402, Henry IV. granted the rector license to purchase a piece of ground to build a parsonage-house (fn. 1) on, which was accordingly done, and Will. Mundes, parson of Stanninghall, and John Norwich, chaplain, conveyed it to him.
Which was no sooner done, but they and the rector demolished the whole old fabrick, which was in decay, and rebuilt the present church, which is in form of a cross, and is a neat building of black flint; the tower is square and hath three bells, on the first of which is In honore Sancte Marie Wirginis. The nave, south porch, transepts and chancel, are leaded. In the east chancel window is a woman kneeling, with the arms of Erpingham; there are also the arms of Paston quartering Barry, and Shelton impaling Berney, and Paston as before impaling Brewse; likewise a full coat of Paston and his quarterings, as Somerton, Barry, Shelton, Wichingham, &c.
In a window on the north side of the altar, is the effigies of Thomas Andrew, the rector, with an Orate under him; he is kneeling in a blue vestment at prayers at an altar, his crown is shaven, and on the tonsure is represented a white cloven tongue, to express the gift of the spirit, by imposition of hands, of which the tonsure is the token or mark. In the next pane is represented the extreme unction, in which he attends the sick man, (probably Paston his patron,) on his knees, at his bed's feet, while another priest in purple performs the ceremony, and by him is the host; by the bed's side appears the face of the evil angel, which cannot approach him: the rector being again placed on his knees before the gates of the new Jerusalem, represented by that city in the clouds; and in another south chancel window are the four Evangelists and their emblems; in the opposite north window, St. Jerom, St. Austin, &c. defaced; and in the east window of the north transept, is the same rector as before, who was buried in the chancel in 1468.
It appears by the date in stone on the buttress by the north door, that it was finished in 1460, where there is an old trunk of an oak, represented without any leaves, to signify the decayed church; and from the root springs a fresh branch with acorns on it, to denote the new one, raised where the old one stood; the words are, Fundata in Anno Domini Mcccclio
Here lyeth the Body of Thomas Spendlove late of Norwich Gent. some tymes one of the Aldermen of this Cittye, who deceased the first Daye of April A. D. 1636, and likewyse the Body of Margaret Spendlove the Wife of the said Thomas, who deceased the 26 Day of July A. D. 1608.
Eliz. Dr. of Will. Browne, born 1690, died 1727, Eliz. her Mother, first Wife of William Browne Dr. of Tho. King of Lyng in Norfolk, 1710, 43, Mary Dr. of Will. and Eliz. Browne 1711, 23, Will. Browne died 1727, 64, and was buried in Braken-Ash chancel. Lydia Wife of Henry King, Dr. of Will. Browne, 1734. Their characters their friends will tell with pleasure.
Here lyeth the Body of Dame Anne Palgrave, Relict of Sir John Palgrave of Norwood Barningham in the County of Norfolk Knt. and Baronet deceased, first the Wife and Relict of Cotton Gascoigne of Illington in the said County Esq. deceased, and one of the Drs. of Sir William de Grey Knt. and Dame Ann his Wife, of Merton in the same County deceased, which said Ann departed her Life 25 Dec. 1676.
The pious and vertuous Mary Relict of Henry Bullock late of Faulcborne in Essex Esq. Dr. of Sir William de Grey Knt. and Dame Anne his wife, late of Merton died in this Parish Dec. 27, 1664, and lieth interr'd to rest, 'till the glorious Day of her Resurrection.
Rogerus Flynt Rector de Runcton Juxta Mare in Agro Norff. Illustrissimo Heröi ARTHURO Domino CAPEL Baroni de Hadham, ob Regiam Causam decollato, deinde CAROLO (fn. 2) Martyris olim è Sacris inter arma; ob eandem causam bonis Beneficijs tèr spoliatus, privatus; tam adversa, quam prospera, æquo ferens animo infracto, hilarique, familaribus gratus, Amicis charus, Invidiâ, calumnijsque (tantum non obrutus) devictis et triumphatis; animam reddidit Creatori, Patri Redemptori, A° Æt. lxx°, Verbique incarnati OIO iocxxcvo. Kalend. Januarij xix°.
Eliz. Dr. of Ric. and Anne Browne 1716, and their other children, Samuel 1717, John 1720, Anne 1725, George and Charles 1729, and also Anne Browne 1732, 38, she was a faithfull and loving Wife, an affectionate and carefull Mother, a kind Neighbour, and a good Christian. Will. her son 1733, 15.
Dorothy Wife of John Rolfe 1673. John Rolfe Gent. 1706, 66. Eliz. Dr. of Henry and Frances Gale, 1687. Samuel their son July 1688, and Mary their Dr. Aug. 1688. Nic. Hale'knite 1652, Frances Reve 1690, 26, Samuel Claphamson 1690, Francis Claphamson 1691. Tho. Donne of Holt-Market Gent. 1685, 70. Memoriæ Mariæ Blenkar 3° Octob. 1677. Robert Cubitt, William Cubitt, Christopher Son of Will. Cubitt 1684. Dorothy his Dr. wife to John Inman, Will. Inman son of John and Dorothy, 1688, Mrs. Jane Thacker 1665, Mr. Ric. Thacker her Husband 1668. - - - - Hewet Dr. of - - - - Hastings 1706. Hewett with a crescent, impaling Hastyngs. - - Mordecai Hewet.
Here lieth the Body of the Honble Colonel Robert Laton, Son of Sir Robert Laton, of Sexhow in the County of York, by Anne his first Wife, the Dr. of Sir Thomas Davison of Blakeston in the Bishoprick of Durham, who departed this Life Feb. the 19th. 1737, aged 70. Also Ann his Wife, who died 30th. Dec. 1740, aged 62.
1390, William Bernard, chaplain, was buried in the church. 1451, John Dapeleyn, mason, buried in the churchyard, and gave 4 marks to paint the rood-loft. Walter Paston, clerk, was buried here before the image of St. John the Baptist. This Walter was just come from Oxford, and died at the city house of the Pastons in this parish, called Paston's Place; he gave his manor of Cressingham to John Paston, Esq. his brother; and when he inherited his father's estate, it was then to go to his brother Edmund, between whom, and Anne Yelverton his sister, and Margery wife of his brother John, he divided all his goods. 1472 John Berney of Redham, Esq. gave 29s. to this church; he had a city house in the parish, which was called Berney's Inn, and it continued a long time in the family, for in 1625, Lady Julian Berney dwelt in it. 1659, Mrs. Mary Barnham, aldress, wife of Justice Will. Barnham, was buried in the church.
Mr. Kirkpatrick says, he was informed, that Mr. Mordecai Hewet, merchant was buried in this church, and bequeathed 500l. for ever, to be lent out for 7 years freely, to 20 young tradesmen of this city, at 25l. a man, and appointed certain trustees by his will, for putting it out accordingly.
The house at the north-west corner of the churchyard, formerly paid 2s. per annum to the rector, and was anciently inhabited by women, who dwelt together there under a religious vow, and were called the sisters of St. Peter, sometimes the sisters at Houndgate, and sometimes the widows there.
The religious concerned here were, the college of the chapel in the Field, the Prioress of Carhowe, the Abbots of Sibton. and Creyk, the Priors of Wimundham, Bukenham, Bromholme, Hickling, and St. Faith's; the Abbots of St Alban's and of Holm, the Master of St. Giles's hospital, and the Prior of Norwich, whose houses here were given to the monastery about 1360, by Sara wife of Nigel de Halys, and others; there was a pension of 2s. a year, out of Hales's tenement, to Creyk abbey, and in 1519, to Christ's college in Cambridge, in right of that abbey; in 1328, Alan, rector of St. Peter, licensed William de Ocle, then almoner of the monastery, on which office the revenues in this parish were settled, to enclose all the east side of the churchyard with a wall, and to have a door and gate there, paying 2d. a year to the rector.
The whole western part of this parish being demolished, and laid into the site of the Friars-preachers, the rector sued the prior for loss of his offerings, tithes, and profits, accruing from the demolished houses; upon which, the prior and convent were obliged to give security in 1451, to the rector, according to the direction of the King's writ, that notwithstanding the Pope's bulls lately obtained by John Pynnesthorp, then prior, that the convent should have the whole legacies given them, yet nevertheless, the rectors of this parish, as heretofore, should have a fourth part of all their legacies, according to the sacred canons, by which all parsons of parish churches were to have the like; and as the prior had cited the rector to appear at the court of Rome, contrary to the statute of 38 Edward III. he was forced to submit and make agreement with the rector, and fine to the King.
(94) Priory of the Friars de Sacco,
Called also de Penitentiâ Jesu, (fn. 3) who settled here about 1250, in a house given them by Sir William de Gissinthe, (or Gissing,) clerk, which stood opposite to the steeple of St. Peter's of Hungate church, in the yard of which they built an oratory or church, and had it dedicated to the Virgin Mary; and in 1258, John de Vaus, son of Oliver de Vaux, gave them a messuage in St. Andrew's parish, joining to the west part of their house; (fn. 4) (fn. 5) and in 1307, William de Ho, prior of the brethren here, released it to the Lady Petronel de Nerford and her heirs, under the convent seal, and she the same week leased it again to the said William and his brethren, so long as they inhabited there, and then to revert to her heirs. (fn. 6)
In 1271, their foundation was confirmed by Simon, rector of St. Peter in Hundegate, and the dean and chapter of the college of St. Mary in the Fields, patrons of St. Peter, under their seals; (fn. 7) by which they had license to appropriate the yards and houses, given them by Sir William de Gissing, clerk, their founder, to their use, upon finding four persons to be bound, to keep harmless the rector of St. Peter, from any loss as to the profits of his living; who licensed them on that condition, to have an oratory or private chapel in their house, and also a church and steeple, with liberty to celebrate all divine services therein, ring their bells, and bury the dead, as well regulars as seculars, except the parishioners of St. Peter's, unless such as should desire to be buried among them; but their offerings, &c. were to belong to the rector, and the convent was not to admit any parishioners to any ecclesiastical duties, to the detriment of the church, but was to pay to the rector 3s. yearly; and to confirm the whole, Roger Bishop of Norwich gave his consent in the presence of Master Godfrid le Gros, official of Norwich consistory, Master William of St. Faith, Henry de Norwich, clerk, Will. de Dunwich, and others; and soon after, Rob. Laddings, shoemaker, and Amy his wife, gave them a messuage in St. Andrew's, adjoining to the last mentioned messuage north, and abutting west on the street leading to the New-brigge; and Thomas son of Ric. de Stalham and John his brother, released a rent of 30d. a year, due to them out of Ladding's messuage; in 1276, Will. son of Peter But confirmed a piece of land in St. Andrew's, adjoining to their site; all which became
(95) The site of the Friars-preachers,
In the year 1307, when Edward I. licensed the prior of the preachers to come and settle here with his whole convent, reserving to Will. de Ho, the last prior of the brethren of the Sac, who was then living, but decrepit with old age, his dwelling and maintenance during life.
These Friars-preachers were so called from their office; Black Friars from their habit, and Dominicans from St. Dominic their founder, who died in 1221, and was canonized by the Pope in 1233. The first friars of this order came hither in 1226, (fn. 8) and were at first seated in
(96) The church of St. John the Baptist,
Which was then parochial, and a rectory; but upon making it their conventual church, the parish was united to St. George at Colgate, and the church used by the friars for their own, in which I find the following persons were buried,
In 1444, John Crowland was buried in this church, and at the Dissolution it passed, with their whole old site, (which was then their great garden,) to the city, (fn. 9) by the King's grant, who have since leased it out, and much of it is now built upon; the whole old site laid between the churches of St. George of Colgate, St. Clement at the Bridge, and St. Mary Unburnt, which stood at the corner of Golden-dog lane.
They were founded by Sir Tho. Gelham, Knt. who gave them the church and a house to live in, and not only got them confirmed by King Henry III. but also procured 10 marks as a gift from that Prince. The rest of their site, which they had here, was of the gifts of these following benefactors.
1253, Imena and Christiana, daughters of Hermer de Totington. Will. Curteys, son of Will Surreye and Alice Curteys his wife, gave them a messuage in St. John's parish: in 1261, Will. de Dunwich and Cath. his wife, gave them a garden on the west side of their site. (fn. 10) In 1273, Sir Ric. de Norwich, Knt. gave them a messuage and yard opposite to their site, which extended from the street to the river. (fn. 11) In 1280, they enclosed their site with a precinct wall, which then laid in the parishes of St. Mary Unburnt and St. Clement of Fibrigge. In 1284, Sir John le Blund, chaplain, and Margaret, daughter of Henry le Waleys of Swerdeston, gave two messuages to the convent. In 1290, they got another messuage of the Prioress of Carrowe, and a piece added by Roger de Penteneye. In 1299, John de Acle, clerk, and Agnes his wife, gave them a messuage which he purchased of Tho. de Helgheton, and Alice his widow released it; and Tho. de Depham, clerk, gave them another. And thus this site was perfected, which after they left it, was called the Black-hall.
After their removal to their new site, in 1308, Petronel de Nerford, widow, daughter of Sir John de Vallibus or Vaus, released to God, the Virgin Mary, and the preaching brethren in Norwich, all her right in their site, in St. Peter of Hungate and St. Andrew's parishes, which was of her father's inheritance, and by him given to the Brethren of the Sac; and Sir Will. de Ros of Hamlak, and Maud his wife, did the same; she being a daughter of Sir John de Vaus; his deed is dated at Pentney, in the presence of Will. de Kerdeston, Sir Reginald le Gros, and Sir Tho. Bardolf, Knts.
In 1310, Will. But and Christian his wife, by license of King Edward II. conveyed a piece of land 500 feet long and 400 feet broad, with a key lying at Newbrigge, to enlarge their site; and the same year, Silvester Sparrow conveyed a messuage in St. Andrew's to them for that purpose, and Pope Clement V. confirmed them, and their removal hither.
In 1311, Sara, widow of Ralph the fishmonger, gave them a messuage to lay into their site, which laid in Hungate parish; and in 1312, Egidia, daughter of Adam Beneyt of Southreppes, gave another in the same parish; and Thomas Boton gave them another in St. Andrew's, and John de Hengham a cottage in Hungate. In 1313, Adam de Blickling gave a messuage in Hungate, which was released by Reginald his son; in 1318. But before the friars had finished getting what land they designed, to enlarge their site, on May 4, 1413, their house and church, and all the buildings, were burnt down, so that they were forced to return to their old church and site over the water, where they continued till they were burnt out there by another accidental fire in 1449, and were forced to come hither again before they had finished their church or convent. (fn. 12)
In 1331, the city was displeased at their getting so many houses to demolish them, for their site, and got the escheator to seize all such as had been given and purchased without license in mortmain; but in 1350, they were all confirmed by the King's pardon, with others given by Rob. le Fevre, Alexander de Sparham, and Ric. de Heylesdon.
In 1353, John le Clerk of Okle had license to give in mortmain, a toft in Norwich, to enlarge their churchyard. In 1367, Christian, widow of John de Halys and Henry de Halys, her son and heir, released 3s. yearly rent, out of a tenement in St. Christopher's, opposite to their site, which was granted by Will. Roberts, deacon, general proctor in England to Rouncival or Rocidival hospital, to the said John de Halys; (fn. 13) and in 1369, Stephen de Rypon, then proctor-general of that hospital, also confirmed it.
In 1395, King Richard II. confirmed all their gifts and privileges, and in 1485, Richard III. did the same, as did the Pope also; and from this time, the friars continued quiet in their whole possessions, which contained only their old site, and a messuage opposite to it, and a house opposite to their new site, which now extended from St. Andrew's-street, to the river, from south to north, and from the street going down by Hungate church, to Newbrigge-street from east to west: their maintenance being chiefly owing to the charitable contributions of the citizens, and gentlemen of the country, many of whom lie buried in their conventual church, as I learn from the will books, and other evidences that I have seen.
1434, Dame Margaret, wife of Sir Gilbert Talbot, and afterwards of Sir Constantine Clifton. 1439, Sir John Parlet, priest. Sibil, widow of John Pain, by her father and mother. 1440, John Tyllys, rector of St. Buttolph in Norwich, and gave 10 marks. 1442, Sir Simon Felbrigge, Knt. buried in the midst of the choir. 1443, Rob. Cariol and Simon Thurton. 1444, Rob. Norwich, senior, Gent. 1446, Cecily Cariol. 1448, Will. Mayes. 1451, James Syff, and Tho. Ingham the younger. 1452, Edm. Segeford, mercer, at the upper end of the north isle, in the chapel there, by the window glazed with the history of the Magnificat psalm, and founded an obit for a friar to sing for him 10 years, and to have 5 marks a year; he gave 20l. towards the furniture of the high-altar and ordered a stone to be laid over him, with this inscription, Drate pro anima Dilli. Segeford. 1455, Thomas Ingham, senior, by his son. 1458, Alice, widow of Sir Roger Harsick, Knt. and gave 5 marks to repair the new altars. The same year, these were also interred in the church: Reginald Herryesson, before the high-altar. Kat. Marchale, who gave 20s. towards building a new rood-loft, and Will. Stubbe of Skottowe, who gave 10 marks to repair their hall and infirmary, and 20 marks for a 4 years obit. 1459, Joan, wife of Nic. Wichingham, Esq. of Woodrising, Dr. of Fastolf, buried in Sketys chapel in this church, and Alice wife of Edm. Foster, hosier, who gave a legacy to their library. This year also was Katherine widow of Sir Simon Felbrigge buried by her husband, and gave 20l. towards building a new steeple to the church. 1467, John Palgrave, Esq. in the choir by the grave of Margaret his wife. 1472, Will. Lockwood alias Cleyveland, clerk, buried at the head of Sir Simon Felbrigge's monument. 1472, Jowet Bumpstede, widow, by Thomas Bumpstede, her husband, at the entrance of the choir. 1475, John Roberds. 1477, Rob. Harpeley, Gent. 1479, Agnes Caumbridge, widow, by the tomb of Tho. Ingham, her late husband. 1485, Margaret Smith, by St. Barbara's altar. 1487, Edmund son of John Hastings and Eleanor his wife, daughter of Sir Edward Wodehouse, Knt. 1497, Peter Peterson, by Alice his wife, and Alice Warme widow, by Thomas Warme her husband. Besides these already mentioned, Will. Mawtby, Esq. John Debenham, Esq. and Margaret Erpingham, were here interred. (fn. 14)
1501, Anne widow of Roger Drury, Esq. by the grave of John Pagrave, Esq. formerly her husband, she was a great benefactrix: and Agnes Swill, widow, by her husband, and also Robert Woderove, in the cloister, by Maud his wife. 1502, Philip Curson, Gent. and Alderman, afterwards of Liringsete, was a benefactor; and this year Dame Joan Blakeney widow, was buried in St. Mary's chapel on the south side of the church, and had a stone laid over her; she gave also 20l. to buy a chalice, and 20 marks for a vestment. 1503, Austin Bois of Norwich, by Margaret his wife. Isabel Ronham widow, and John Cowting. 1504, Anne Jeckis, single woman. 1505, John Foster and Gerard Johnson, by Julian his wife, and gave 12l. to repair the church. 1506, Will. Lincoln. 1508, Joan Geddeney widow. 1509, John Barnard, Esq. before our Lady's altar in the south side of the middle alley, and was a good benefactor. 1511, Robert Barnard of Norwich, Esq. buried by him, Anne his first wife was dead, and Eleanor his daughter was his heiress; he was lord of Saye's manor in Longstratton, which he gave to his son Christopher Calthorp, his executor; his tomb is now standing, and is called the Stone, it being used in room of a table, at which St. George's company used to meet. 1518, Joan Dogget, by St. Barbara's altar. 1522, Eliz. widow of Robert Felmingham, before that, wife of John Holdiche, Esq. by whom she was buried; she gave a legacy to Felmingham church, and a cope of twenty marks, with the arms of John Holdiche to the church of Fouldon; she ordered a stone and brass plates to be fixed thereon, viz. an image of our Lady and John Holdiche, kneeling on one side, and their two sons by him, and an inescutcheon of his arms; and on the other side Robert Felmingham in his coat-armour, and herself and three daughters by her, in their winding-sheets, in the middle, and the said stone was to be fixed in the wall near their graves.
At the Dissolution, the city made interest to the Duke of Norfolk, who applied to the King for a grant of the convent, and all that belonged to it, for the use of the city; and Austin Steward, alderman, much promoted it, by attending his Majesty with a petition from the city, requesting him to grant it them, to make of the church, a fair and large hall, for the mayor and his brethren, with all the citizens, to repair unto at common assemblies, as they used heretofore to do, and to have a pulpit for all strangers, and others, to preach in every Sunday and holiday in the forenoon and afternoon, when there was no sermon at the cathedral cross, and to make a chapel of the choir for the citizens priest, to perform daily service in, and also at their assemblies; and to make of the dortor and fraytor, granaries, to lay up the city's store of corn for the poor, and to maintain the malthouse, mill-house, and bake-house, for the city's profit, and the old site, orchards, &c. to be let out to maintain the said church or hall, and houses belonging to it; upon which, the house being suppressed, the King, for 81l. paid for the premises by the city, and 152l. more for 38 fodders of lead, which covered the church and houses, by authority of parliament, granted to the mayor, &c. the whole new site and all therein contained, and all their old site in St. Clement's and St. Mary's Unburnt, with the chapel, houses, &c. therein contained, and all the ponds, pools, and fisheries, and one tenement in St. Clement's, which led down to the water, to be held in capite by the 20th part of a fee, and 9s. a year to the Court of Augmentations; the grant is dated 25th. June 32d Henry VIII. but in 3d of Edward VI. the homage and rent due from the city was released by that King.
The Priors of This House
1259, Brother Robert de Hecham. 1290, Nic. de Edenham. 1305, Jeffery de Derham. 1374, Adam de Halesworth, who was general proctor for the order in the whole diocese. 1381, Robert de Freton, Robert Felmingham. 1452, John Pynnesthorp. 1370, Roger de Wichingham. 1383, Brother Simon Curteys. 1501 Dr. Roger Bemunde. 1505, Brother Thomas Bekylls. 1407, Will. Bryggs, (see Fox 2011. 2023.) 1536, Edmund Harcock or Harock. 1538, and Brother Tho. Bryggs, S. T. B. after the Dissolution rector of Brisingham, &c. see p. 217.
Brother John de Somerton, born at the village of that name in Norfolk, educated in this convent, was for his learning made bachelor in divinity, being a famous preacher in English and Latin; he published a course of sermons for the whole year. Pitts mentions him at page 882.
1371, Brother Jeffery Swanton. 1378, John Kynyngham. 1379, Thomas Peverel. 1380, John Clare. 1416, Thomas Wodebridge. 1448, John Rockland. 1460. Simon Upton. 1472, Brothers Jerom, Will. Worsted, Henry Sharpen, Henry Cossey, and Walter, S. T. B. Dr. Myntelyng. 1493. Br. John Windham. 1495, Rob. Tye. And in the next century, Br. John Hugen, chief provincial of all England. (Fox 998.) Br. Richard Ingworth S. T. P. (Fox 998.) Friar Julles or Julleys, S. T. P. (See Pt. I. p. 205, Fox 1010.) Dr. Stokes, &c.
Immediately after, it was granted to the city. It appears from the chamberlains account 33 Henry VIII. (fn. 15) that they leased off divers parts of both the sites, as the houses new built over the south gate, the malting-office, a garden newly severed from the preaching-yard, the late anker's house; (fn. 16) the chapel on the great garden in the old site, &c.
And now a publick grammar school was kept here, (fn. 17) and Walter Halle made master; the infirmary being appointed for that use; but on his being removed to the present free-school, this was made a granary for a publick stock of corn for the poor, to which we meet with many benefactors.
The cloister is on the north side of the church, with a churchyard or burial-place, in the midst of it; the convent kitchen at the north-west corner of it was in 1625 appointed to set the poor on work in; the dortor or dormitory, was one great room over the east side of the cloister; the west side was the freytor, the west part of the south side the firmary, and the chapter-house joined to the midst of the east side of the cloister, beyond it, and the library was a long building from east to west, near the north side of the chancel; and as the convent is at this day, I much question whether there be so much remaining of any convent of friars in England.
The church is a most noble and beautiful pile, remaining still whole and very perfect, except the steeple, which stood between the nave and the choir, and for want of looking after, fell down Nov. 6, 1712, (the weather being very calm,) and much damaged the nave and choir. This steeple was built about 1462, by the liberal benefactions of Dame Catherine, widow of Sir Simon Felbrigge, Knt. Dame Margaret, wife of Sir Constantine Clifton, Sir Gilbert Talbot, Knt. Tho. Ingham, and Sir Roger Harsick, who left legacies, and gave divers sums in their lifetime for that purpose; several arms carved in stone were preserved at its fall, and are now fixed in the walls, as Talbot impaling Clifton, Talbot single, a lion rampant impaling Monthermer; and many impalings and quarterings of Caily; there are also the arms of Sir Simon Felbrigge, Knt. in a garter, and those of Stapleton, who were all benefactors to it.
It was a neat pile, and sexangular at top, as the plate of it taken
by Mr. Daniel King, which is to be met with in some copies of the
Monasticon, shows me; and was a great ornament to the city; it had
three large bells in it and a clock, before the Dissolution; in 1713,
the breaches were filled up, by building a new gable to the east end of
the hall, over the door of which is this inscribed,
Tempore Majoratûs Johannis Goose Armigeri, hujus Civitatis Majoris, hic murus Orientalis lapsu Turris dejectus, reædificatus est, Ao. Dni. 1712.
The choir was the ancient church of the friars, which was by them dedicated to St. John the Baptist, as the church of their old site was, and stood on the place where the church of the Brethren of the Sac, which was dedicated to the Virgin Mary stood, which they pulled down when they first came hither, and built this; it is a long building, in the middle of which, before the high-altar, stood Sir Simon Felbrigge's tomb, by whose family, and own generosity, it had been partly built and adorned. At the west end stood an organ; (fn. 18) and on the rood loft, besides the holy rood, were the images of St. Quyrine, St. Peter of Milain, &c. with lights before them; as had also the images of St. Michael, our Lady, St. Agnes, St. Nicholas, St. Christopher, &c. all which were in the choir.
As soon as it came into the hands of the city, it was made a chapel for the corporation, in which was performed daily service morning and evening for such citizens as pleased to go thither; and here the gilds of the several companies used to hear mass, and make their offerings, and the city appointed Mr. John Kempe, clerk, chaplain of it for life; (fn. 19) and in the yard on the south side, was a pulpit, in which all strangers and others preached every Sunday and holiday, both forenoon and afternoon, when there was no sermon at the cathedral cross, as was usually heretofore done; this was called,
Aug. 10, 1542, Sir John Kempe, chaplain, built the three rooms over the south entrance of the hall, for his own lodging; upon which the city granted them to him for life, with a condition, that if the offerings and profits of his chapel of St. John, did not yearly amount to 6l. 13s. 4d. that they would make up to him that sum. (fn. 20) At his death there were no more chaplains presented by the city to this chapel, so that the constant service ceased; and his lodgings were assigned to the sword-bearer, for lodgings for such preachers as came to preach at the Common-place in the city on Sundays, and other publick times, who were to be taken care of, and supplied with all necessaries, at the expense of the city. And thus it continued till 1608, when they were converted into a publick library for the city, as they still remain.
When service ceased here, the Dutch congregation petitioned the city for it, for a place of worship, which was accordingly granted, and they used it by leave only till 1619, and then it was leased to them at 6s. 8d. per annum and made convenient for their congregation, and was called, as it now is,
The Dutch Church.
In 1650, the mayor, &c. had the forenoon service here, and attended at it instead of the cathedral, and the sermons used at the cross in the Green-yard at the cathedral, were removed to the Green-yard here, and the Dutch to St. Peter's of Hungate. But in 1661, the pulpit and seats in the Green-yard here were removed again to the yard by the cathedral, and attendance given there as usual, and the Dutch had possession of their church again. In 1687, the Roman Catholicks pe titioned to have it from the Dutch, for the free exercise of their religion, but the Dutch kept possession, and then the city assigned them the west granary here for that use, which till very lately was used by the Independant congregation, as their meeting-house; as the other granary was by the Presbyterian congregation. The Dutch congregation pays 6s. 8d. per annum to the city; their lease was made for 200 years, and commenced June 15, 1713.
A Work-house for the poor, the treasurer of which pays for the several rooms, chambers, and apartments, belonging to the Newhall, let to the corporation of the said workhouse, from Michaelmas 1712, for 60 years, 20l. per annum.
1724, Alderman Gobbet, late Nic. Helwys, Esq. pays for the brewhouse at Black-Friars bridge, and other houses there, let for 61 years, from Michaelmas 1703, 20l. and for the late mint, and that some time the Romish chapel, with the cellars and arches under the same let from 1705, for 59 years, 10l. per annum.
Benjamin Nuthall, Esq. pays for a house built in part over the south gate of the Newhall, and for the garden and tenement adjoining, parcel of the preaching yard, 10l. per annum, and for the Green-yard, 10s. per annum, lease from Michaelmas 1723, for 80 years.
The sealing-halls, of bays, says, &c. In 1579, the city purchased of Mr. George D'alves, and Mr. Fitz Williams, her Majesty's pensioners, their lease of the alnage and subsidies of the new commodities made in Norwich, for 300l.
1616, They purchased the Crown seal of the Duke of Lenox, which was put to every cloth; those made in Norwich had the city arms; and those made in the country had the castle without the lion; and those made by strangers had the ship; those made in Norwich by Englishmen, if defective, had Norwich in the ring; and if by aliens, the word alien in the middle; and if in the country, the word Norfolk. But now these seals are laid aside in general.
In the late troubles, the Green-yard or preaching-place, was made the artillery ground, and that company had the low rooms by the porch for their arms; and in 1672, the scaffolds and seats in the artillery ground were taken down to repair the south side of the hall.
The City Library, which is over the south porch, was begun in the year 1608, (fn. 21) when Jerom Goodwyne, swordbearer, resigned the rooms called the chaplain's lodge, and afterwards the preachers lodgings, for that purpose; since which time, it hath increased by the benefactions of the subscribers and others; as Mr. Nelson, whose library was a great addition to it; the number of books, names of the benefactors, orders, &c. appear in the catalogue of it printed at Norwich in qo. Ao. 1732, which being easily to be met with, I shall refer my readers thither.
The church, now the Common-hall, called St. Andrew's-hall, is a neat, grand, and beautiful building; the six pillars on each side, which support the nave, are small and handsome: the whole, which consists of two isles and a nave, is very uniform, being covered with lead; it is about 50 yards long, and 30 wide; the two isles are of the same length with the nave, each being exactly half as wide as the nave is. There are 14 upper windows, and six lower ones on a side; and the whole was new paved in 1646. It hath been used as an Exchange for the merchants and tradesmen to meet in, but that is now disused. The Assizes for the city are held here, and the mayors feasts, &c.
Formerly all the several companies of tradesmen held their feasts here, and several of them had the Arms of their companies put up, some of which still remain. The courts of conscience, of the guardians for the poor, &c. are constantly held here.
This noble fabrick was built by Sir Thomas Erpingham, Knt. for whom see p. 38, 9, and his arms carved in freestone remain between every window of the nave on the outside; he died in 1428, before it was completely finished; but the glazing, &c. was continued by Sir Rob. de Erpingham his son, rector of Brakene, a friar in this house; whose arms were in the late fine painted glass windows, all which are demolished, except the six most western ones in the nave, in which there now remains the arms of Sir Tho. de Kerdeston, Knt. impaling De la Pool and Wingfield, and az. on a saltier arg. the five wounds gul.; those of Sir Andrew Butler, Knt. Sir Will. Phelip, Knt. and Ric. Gegge, Esq, executors to Sir Thomas Erpingham. Bishop Alnwick's, who was supervisor to his will. There are also the arms of Erpingham, Felbrigge, Stafford, Clifton, Shelton, Stapleton, Spencer, and Rede; and gul. two fesses or, in chief three bezants. Arg. on a canton sab. a cross potent of the field, gul. a chevron between three gambs or, and on the outside of the door, are the arms of Paston impaling Shelton; which show, that John Paston, Esq. and Margaret his wife, made it. (See p. 330, 31.) In the west window are the arms of England, and those of the Prince of Wales. At the upper end of the north isle was formerly an altar of St. Barbara, which before 1459, was enclosed in a neat chapel there, made by Ralf Skeet, from whom it was afterwards called Skeet's chapel; and opposite was another chapel in the south isle, the altar of which was dedicated to the Virgin Mary; and in the nave at the upper end, stood the great Rood, with an altar of the holy cross, before which, Holy-rood gild was kept.
At the east end is a clock, and the effigies of Justice at top, and the arms of England carved beneath; on the right hand is a picture of Queen Anne, and opposite another of Prince George, both given by St. George's company.
In the north isle are the Weavers arms, and other companies, as
carpenters, bakers, &c. and two pictures of aldermen in their proper
Robert Marsh Esq. Mayor Ao. 1731, being Alderman of the Grocer's Company; this Picture was by them presented Ao 1732.
Thomas Emerson Esq. who in the Year 1739, (See Pt. I. p. 449,) gave two Gold Chains to be wore by the Sheriffs of this City, for a perpetual Memorial of which Generosity, this Picture was presented by the Corporation of this City Ao Di. 1741.
By means of which worthy benefactors, and by the exact state of these schools being yearly published, and delivered to every subscriber, this truly great charity hath been continued, and is still in such a condition, that on the 5th of April, 1744, it appeared that no less then 210 boys, and 150 girls, in all 360, were taught in the 12 charity schools, appointed for that purpose; and all the children were new clothed, the subscriptions and arrears amounting this year to 92l. 11s. 6d. the collections at the charity sermons during Lent, to 68l. 1s. 10d. the interest money, rent, &c. to 104l. 5s. and a private gift, of 5l. the whole received, being 269l. 18s. 4d. and the whole of the salaries and expenses, came to 266l. 19s. 10d.
Every one that subscribes 20s. a year, is a trustee of course; and the trustees meet at the city library at 3 o'clock in the afternoon on the first Thursday in every month, to dispatch all business relating to the schools, which is done in such a publick manner, that every one concerned may see, and be evidently convinced, that this noble and useful charity is not converted to any other uses, but such as the generous donors designed it for, than which nothing can be of more service and greater advantage to any community.
The boys are taught to read and write, and the girls to read and sew; the boys wear caps and bands, that they may be distinguished from other children, by which means their behaviour is the better known. (See Atlas of Norf. page 438.)
St. George's Company, in 1686, which usually held their feasts, and had their meetings at the Stone here, which is now standing, and is the tomb of Robert Barnard, Esq. as aforesaid. This company or fraternity first began in 1385, being a society of brethren and sisters, in honour of the martyr St. George, who by voluntary subscription, found a chaplain celebrating service every day in the cathedral for the welfare of the brethren and sisters of the gild, while alive, and their souls when dead; (fn. 22) and thus they continued till 5 Henry V. 1416, and then that Prince granted them a charter, the original of which is in the Gild-hall, and is dated at Reding, by which they were incorporated by the name of "The Alderman, Masters, Brethren, and Sister's, of the Fraternity and Gild of St. George in Norwich," (fn. 23) with power to choose yearly one Alderman and two masters, and to make all reasonable orders and constitutions for their own government, to clothe themselves in one livery, and yearly to hold and make a feast in any convenient place in the city, and to have a common seal, to sue and be sued; and to maintain a chaplain to pray daily for the health of the King, the Alderman, Masters, Brethren, and Sisters, while alive, and their souls when dead, with license to purchase 10l. per annum in mortmain. The prior, mayor, sheriff's and alderman of the gild, to have power to expel or remove all members of the gild, for any bad behaviour, &c.; (fn. 24) and afterwards ordinances were made for the governance of it, by which there were to be yearly chosen one alderman, 4 masters, and 24 for the assembly or common council.
In 1451, by mediation of Judge Yelverton, the disputes between the gild and city were settled; by which it was agreed, that the mayor for the time being should be yearly chosen the day after the gild, alderman of the gild for the year ensuing his discharge from his mayor alty; the assembly of the gild was now to consist of 20 persons, and the common council of the city may be of the company, but liable to the charge of the feast.
Every brother to take the oath at their admittance. (fn. 25)
The aldermen and common council of the gild shall choose who they list from henceforward, other men and women of the city, besides the aldermen and common council, such as they think convenient and able thereto, to be brethren and sisters of the said gild.
But no man dwelling out of the city was to be chosen for the future, unless he was a knight 'squire, or some notable gentleman. Many other orders were made in relation to their procession, which was always very grand, and contributed much to the honour of the city. (fn. 26)
First. In the cathedral church of the Blessed Trinity at Norwich, among the Holy relicks, "is a precious relique, that is to sey, one "Angell silver and guylt, berying the arme of Seynt George, ye which was given to the seid fraternite by John Fastolf Knyght." A chalice of silver gilt, weighing 10 ounces and an half, and a manuel of ministration of the seven sacraments, with silver clasps, given by Sir Simon Holle, priest of the gild, &c. A chesipele of green damask embroidered with gold, having the arms of St. George and Bishop Spencer, another of red velvet, &c. A chest with divers charters of the purchases of the tenements of the gild, the charter of King Henry V. a seal of silver of the commonalty of the gild, graven with an image of St. George, a charter of Henry VI. A great chest in the tenement belonging to the gild at Tombland, in which two clothes painted with St. George's martyrdom. A scarlet gown for the George, with blue garters. A coat armour for the George beaten with silver, 4 banners of the same work, with the arms of St. George, for the trumpets. A banner with St. George's image, another with his arms; a chaplet for the George, with an owche of copper gilt, and all horses furniture. A dragon, a basnet, a pair of gantlets, two white gowns for the heynsmen or henchmen, a sword, the scabberd covered with velvet and bossed. A black chesipele given by Lord Bardolph. A mass book worth 12 marks. Much pewter, &c. A corporas cloth of gold and silk, given by William Malet, vicar of Hemenhall.
In Henry the Fifth and Sixth's time, Sir Brian Stapleton, Sir John Fastolf, Sir Henry Inglosse, Sir John Clifton, Sir Thomas Erpingham, Sir Thomas Morley, Sir Tho. Kerdeston, Sir Tho. Tudenham, Knts. Sir Tho. Ryngman, Suffragan Bishop, (fn. 27) Sir Rob. Ryngman, Bishop of Gathy, and Patriarch. Sir Tho. Browne, and Walter Lyhart Bishop of Norwich. The noble Lord Will. de la Pool Earl of Suffolk. Sir Will. Phelip Lord Bardolf, and Lady Joan his wife. Will. Paston, the King's chief Justice. Judge Will. Yelverton. Sir John Hevenyngham, Knt. Edm. Winter. John Fitz-raffe. John Bacon. Tho. Wetherby. Thomas Asteley. Will. Calthorp. Chris. Strange. Will. Paston, and Will. Roos, Esqrs. Dr. John Kenninghall, Prior of the Carmes, Dr. John Thorp, friar there, John Brakle, John rector of Sparham, John Parham, rector of Burgh, John Duston, rector of Spixworth, John Bron, rector of Possewyk, Nic. Coke, austin friar, Robert rector of St. Julian, Ralf rector of Burnham, Dr. Tho. Sharyngton, Will. Bernham, bachelor in the decrees, and chancellor, John Heydon, Edm. Wichingham, John Norwich, John Spendlove, John Lovel, John Gray, Simon Felbrigge, Tho. Elys, Will. Thurston, Will. Spelman, John Taseburgh, Thomas Cambridge, Tho. Bukenham, senior and junior, Simon Postle, Will, Norwich, senior, Ralf Pigot and Philip Curson, Gentlemen, the Lady Joan Thorp, &c. the whole number of brothers and sisters in 1450 being 264.
Ao. 1471, there were 217 members, among which the Bishop and Prior of Norwich, John Selot Archdeacon of Sudbury, Simon Thornham, clerk. Will. Merrys, chaplain, and priest to the gild, Sir Will, Yelverton, Knt. Sir John Heveningham, Knt. John Jannys, Roger Briggs, &c. Sir Miles Stapleton, Knt. Will. Rookwood, Esq. Sir John Flouredew, rector of Drayton.
1494, Tho. Shenkewyn, archdeacon of Sudbury, and official of Norwich consistory, and St. George's feast was this year held in the great hall of the Bishop's palace. (fn. 28)
1555, Thomas Duke of Norfolk, Mr. Serjeant Gawdy, recorder, Mr. Serjeant Catlin, steward, John Corbet, Esq. Sir John Kempe, priest, Bishop of Norwich, Henry Earl of Sussex, Sir Tho. Woodhouse, Sir Will. Woodhouse, Sir John Godsalve, Knts. John Barney of Langley, Esq. Mr. Allen Percy, clerk, Mat. Parker, D. D. Thomas Tedman, D. D.
1564, Philip Earl of Surrey, Sir Tho. Cornwaleis, Sir Henry Jerningham, Sir Edward Warner, Sir Tho. Knevet, Sir Ric. Fulmerston, Knts. John Bleverhasset, Robert Warner, Ralf Shelton, Roger Towneshend, Philip Appleyard, Nic. Minne, John Paston, Clement Paston, Hen. Cornwaleis, Ric. Southwell, and Will. Bleverhasset, Esqrs. and Chancellor Gascoign.
1566, The Lord Cobham, Will. Paston, Tho. Hogan, Drue Drury, Will. Browne, Will. Dix, Henry Heveningham, Henry Woodhouse, John Jerningham, John Davy, Francis Thursby, Thomas Knevet of Ashwelthorp, Miles Corbet, and John Jermy, Esqrs.
In 1549, after the new erection, an inventory of the company's goods was taken, in order to make sale of such, as since the alteration of the old ordinances, would be of no service; among which Mr. Huntingdon had a manuel with silver clasps, and Mr. Austin Steward had a gown of velvet pirled with gold, in recompense for a mace of christal, silver and gilt, which he then gave to the use of the city. (fn. 29) Alderman Rogers had the best banner. And among other things sold, was a black velvet vestment, a jerkin of crimson velvet, a cap of russet velvet, a coat armour of white damask with a red cross, a horse harness of black velvet with copper buckles gilt, for the George, a horse harness of crimson velvet with flowers of gold, for the Lady, divers banners, books, and vestments.
In 1550, they granted all their temporals, (as the tenements and grounds called the Lamb, the Stere, 2 acres in the fields without St. Gile's-gates, and the customs of Fibrigge stathe, to the house of the poor people, called God's-house, in Holme-street.
In 1553, the company made an order, to buy yearly as much freese, as would make 13 gowns, to be given to 13 of the 40 poor people in God's-house, and each gown to have the conysance of the gild on them (viz. a red cross.)
In 1612, every alderman was appointed to find two tapestry hangings for the feast makers of the gild, to hang the hall; and each of the sheriffs and common council one; and Sir John Woodhouse, Knt. in 1561, gave 20l. to buy hangings for that purpose.
In 1704, the company gave the mayor a new sword of state, (now used, (fn. 30)) and a scabberd of crimson velvet and gilt lockets, and a new mourning scabberd of black velvet and gilt lockets; two new staffs to be carried by the two marshal-men before the mayor, with two silver heads thereon of the city arms, viz. the castle and lion on pedestals of silver on each, and two new silver badges of the city arms, to be worn on the marshal-men's breasts, on blue ribands before Mr. Mayor, when they wait; they had also a new staff with a silver head of St. George and the dragon, the arms of the said company, on a pedestal of silver, to be carried by the company's beadle, before the alderman of the company; and thus they continued till the general quarterly assembly, held Feb. 24, 1731, being St. Matthias's day, when the committee appointed for that purpose, reported, that they had treated with St. George's company, which agreed to deliver up their charters, books, and records, into the hands of the city, provided the city would pay their debts, which appeared to amount to 236l. 15s. 1d. which they promised to do; upon which, the charter was delivered, with the books, papers, and records of the said gild, fraternity, or company, to the corporation of the city, and are now reposited with the records of the city in the gild-hall. Their effects were put under the care of the city committee, who had power to appoint a person with a salary, to be keeper of them, and to lend any part thereof, to the mayor and sheriffs, or the judges, or the companies of the shoemakers, barbers, tailors, &c. at their annual feasts; which committee were empowered to order the procession on the day of swearing the mayor; and of clothing in blue coats, shoes, and stockings, the two beadlemen, bellman, and charcoalman; and of paying the trumpeters, wiflers, the ringers at St. Peter's and St. Andrew's, the standard-bearer, and all that shall be employed about the procession.
Black Friar's Bridge,
was formerly called New-Brigge, and was built about Henry the Fifth's time, of timber, rebuilt in Edward the Fourth's time, and in 1586, was made of stone, towards which, Alderman Edward Wood gave 20 marks.
(98) St. Simon and Jude's Church
Is as ancient as any in the city, and was the Bishop's own church before the see was settled here, for this being a place of great note before that time, the Bishops had a house, which stood against the street, since called the Cook-row, leading down to Fibrigge, on the east side of it, the principal entrance being where the Maid's-head tavern now is; in Edward the Confessor's time, (see Pt. I. p. 13,) Bishop Ailmer held it, with the house, half an acre of land, and three parts of a mill; and after him, Bishop Arfast; and in the Conqueror's time William Bishop of Thetford, who at the extent, claimed it to be of the patrimony of Bishop Ailmar, by which it seems, as if he designed to get it for his own inheritance; but it did not succeed, for though the whole, except the advowson, was aliened at that time, this always attended the see, and continues with it even at this day: and to make the preferment good, about the year 1200, the deanery of the city of Norwich, and that of Taverham, with the churches of St. Swithin in Norwich, (see p. 255,) ad Crostweyt by Norwich, were annexed; so that the rectors here may be seen at p. 63, down to the year 1329, when the deaneries and rectories were separated at the death of Tho. Silvestre, then dean.
1369, Tho. Profete, who in 1371, changed for Crondle in Canterbury diocese, with Tho. de Coventry, and he in 1386, changed with John son of Rob. Thornham for Timworth, who in 1393, changed this for Sparham, with Tho. de Wortham.
This rectory was anciently valued at 40s. taxed at 20s. and paid 6d. synodals; and being the Bishop's own church, was exempt from all archidiaconal jurisdiction; it was valued in the King's Books at 3l. 9s. 10d. ob. pays no first fruits nor tenths, and is augmented with 200l. of the Queen's bounty, but no purchase yet made; the whole besides the bounty is arbitrary contribution, and amounts to about 15l. per annum.
(99) There was anciently a chapel of st. Simon and Jude standing in this parish on the east side of the Cook-row, it adjoined to the north part of the site of the Bishop's house, and was originally founded as a private oratory or chapel to it; in 1314, it was in use, and then belonged to St. Giles's hospital, at the expense of which house, it was covered with reed, but it seems to have been disused about the year 1400, for then it was called the Hospital's house there.
The religious concerned in this parish were, the Priors of St. Faith, whose temporals were taxed at 20s. those belonging to Hickling at 3s. 6d. The Prioress of the nuns at Blakebergh, had half a mark rent from a house, settled on them by John de Lodne. The hospital of St. Giles had divers houses and rents given them by Ric. de Norwich, and some by Will. de Dunwich in 1272. The Prioress of Bungey had a house, and the Abbot of Sibton another. The Dean of the chapel in the Fields had rents of about 8d. value, and the Prior of Norwich had houses, &c. taxed at 17s. 3d. given them by Sir Will. de Garnar or de Granarijs, Knt. Ric. le Specer gave a house to the abbot and canons of St. Mary at Creyk, and William, abbot there, assigned it to Gilbert de Harpele, clerk, who jointly with Will. Page of Stratton, sold it to the Prior of Norwich.
(100) Fyve-brigge Stathe, and were obliged to find a coke-stool there; (fn. 31) and after this stathe came into the hands of the city and hospital, Miles Hobart, Esq. of Plumstede, contributed much towards making a new key there; and in 1662, the butchers stalls there were disallowed by the court, and the whole row of them pulled down.
Persons buried here for whom I find no memorials in the church,
1336, John Pyrmund, bailiff of the city. 1404, Godfry de Stanhowe, chaplain. 1443, Will. Selby, chaplain, by his father's and mother's window. 1446, on condition the parishioner's rebuilt their steeple (as they did) there were twenty marks given towards new roofing the chancel, which was done also. 1449, William Grey, alderman, was buried under an arch on the north side of the church, before St Mary's altar, and gave 5l. towards new leading the church, and a silver cup, and two cruets to the altar; and in 1459, Alice his relict was buried by his tomb, and gave a silver censer, and a legacy to repair the beds in Ivy hospital. 1466, John Estgate, in the church. 1471, Henry Gardiner, chaplain, was also buried in the church, and gave a silver cup and vestment. 1531, there was an image of St. Anne, with a light burning before it, and the image of our Lady in the alley in the churchyard
On the screens at the altar are paintings of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, the Passion of our Saviour, divers Evangelists, &c. and over the vestry door is carved St. Simon as a fisherman, rowing in a boat with fishes, &c.
In the east chancel window, are two shields, 1st, az. a chevron or. 2d, quarterly or and az. a cross gul. In a south window, arg. on a cross ingrailed between four escalops sab. five bezants. On a north window, 1st, Cecil quartering Castle, 2d, Bacon and Quaplode quartered, with a crescent for difference.
Certâ resurgendi spe, hic situsest Johannes Walters A. M. filius Danielis Walters Generosi, et Janæ Uxoris ejus, qui dum inter homines ageret vitam, tàm inventute per multum tempus optimis artibus in Academiâ Cantibrigiensi innutritus, quàm Maturioris existens Ætatis in Lincolnes Inn, totos octo Annos in illo Forensi dicendi Genere moratus, litteris præsignis, Ærumnosæ Matris Solamen, Patris pergrata voluptas, Comis Amicis Amicus, omnibusque amantissimus fuit, et Demum Morbo confectus (suis publicis privatisque precibus finitis) hæc ultima verba dixit, et subito ad superos migravit, viz.
Anna Whalle Uxor Thomæ Whalle Gen. Filia Radolphi Ward Gen. et Elisabet Uxoris ejus, spei integerrime Generosa, quæ Postquam per annum unum, Mensesque 4, cum marito vixerit, mortem obijt Jan. 3, 1624, Ao Ætatis suæ 19. Nec tamen tam virtuti, quam vitæ tuæ Mors antevenit.
The Night is come for sleepe, loe here I stay, My 3 sweet Babes sleepe here, we wait for Day, That we may rise, and up to blisse ascend Where Crownes and Thrones and Robes shall us attend; Thy worst is past O Death, thou'st done thy Parte, Thou could'st but kill, we fear no second Darte. Resurgemus
SAMUEL WARKEHOUSE Esq. some Time MAIOR of this City, afterwards CAPTAINE under his Grace Henry Duke of Norff. and sometime after, MAJOR under Charles Vicount Lord Tovnsend; he married HANNAH one of the Drs. of JOHN ANDREWS, sometime Alderman of this City, by whom he left 4 Children, Anne, Samuel, John, and Thomas, 20 Apr. 1702, æt. 54. HANNAH his Wife died 18 Febr. 1716, æt. 65. Mary Dr. of Sam. Warkehouse Sheriff, died June 30, 1684. Eliz. Dr. of Alderman Sam. Warkehouse, 1686, and John his Son the same Year, æt. 7. Mary his Dr. 1687.
Below the altar rails are stones for,
Stephen Leverington 1650, Seele son of Seele and Martha Maxey, 1739, 21. John Watson 1703, 75. William Smith and Lidia his wife, Dr. of John Watson, 1714, 66, she died 1701, 51. John son of Thomas and Susan Ayde 1690, Susan their Dr. 1692. Peter son of John Wigget 1681. Martha widow of Roger Gooch 1659, under rector Howlet's stone. Seele son of Mr. John Maxey of Lyn Regis 1719, 33. Martha his Wife 1736, 51.
Crest, a pegasus volant. Nebulé a chief quartered on the 1st and 4th two roses on the 2d and 3d a lion passant. Alderman Peter Wiget died July 22, 1677, Susan his Dr. wife of Tho. Ayde, 11 Jan. 1702. Supporters two pegasuses.
In the church beginning at the west end, there are stones for, Eliz. wife of John Mazey, 1709, 40, Will. Mazey 1695. Mary wife of Tho. Pinder 1681. Tho. Grome 1641. Anne his wife 1677. John Davy 1676, Eliz. his wife 1695, Mary Pepys his sister 1705. Henry Davy Esq. 1728, 54. Sam. Faulke 1696, 24. John Cobb Gent. 1678. Edw. his brother 1676, 20. Mary wife of Simeon Waller 23 May 1732, æt. 49. John their son Nov. 3, 1726, aged 36 weeks. Tho. Allen 1673, Anne his wife 1654. Rebecca Davy 1650. Dorothy wife of George Kempe 1646. Mary Vesey. John and Jane Allen 1641. Jane wife of Rob. Allen 1645. Catherine wife of the said Robert, 1689. Francis Clopton 1679.
To the Memory of William Tracey Cutler, the last of the Family of Tracey in Norwich, haveing lived between 30 and 40 years in this Parish, did by his last Will, give one Acre and an half of Land [in Little Hautbois] for ever, to the Uses following, that is, five Shillings to the Minister yearly, for preaching a Memorandum Sermon once a Year, on the Sunday before the Guild, and at the same Time 1s. 6d. to the Clarke, as it doth in his Will more at large appear.
At the east end of the nave, where the altar of St. Mary formerly stood, is a monument, having the arms and crest of Pettus on the top. There is an effigies of Sir Augustine, and under him his two sons on their knees, and four daughters. And on the other side of a faldstool, which is placed between them, is that of Abigail his 2d lady, who was daughter of Sir Arthur Heveningham of Ketringham; on the top of the altar part lies Sir John in complete armour, leaning his head on one hand, and holding a book in his other; there is said to be an inscription on the tomb, covered, and this is open, viz.
Et Pater, et Natus, Tumulo conduntur in isto, Militiâ, Virtute, Fide et Pietate, notandi; Filius ante Patrem immaturâ morte peremptus, Conjuge tàm binâ, vixit quam Prole beatus, Quam precor Hæredem Patriæ & Virtutis avitæ, Hac Pater urbe Locum tenuit cum Laude supremum, Cujus Cura Dei Res sacras protegit, ornat. Templa, Sacerdotes, Largito Munere in Ævum, Corpora nuda tegit Inopum, Fame Languida nutrit, Pressa Siti reficit, redimito è Carcere capla, Hæc Deus aspiciens, hunc dignum judicat astris, Eximit Ærumnis, dat factis præmia cœlos.
On the opposite monument, are the effigies of Sir Thomas Pettus
in his mayor's habit, and Christian his wife, who was daughter of
Simon Dethick of Wrongey; behind him are four sons, and behind her
are three daughters, all kneeling. Pettus quarters 1st Dethick, arg.
a fess varry or and gul. between three water budgets sab. and 2d, gul.
a chevron between three escalops or:
Siste Gradum, Quisquis Monumentum hoc aspicis, atque Hæc lege, Parva mora est, nec sine Fruge Labor; Conditur hic, celebris Civis, celeberrimus urbis NORWICI Civis, grande simulque decus; Nomen ei sacro Baptismi Fonte dabatur THOMAS, cognomen cum Patre, PETTUS erat Inter et ille notos, hoc nomine clarus, Inter et ignotos, nomine clarus erat; Namque suos inter, Gradibus perfunctus Honorum Omnibus, ad summum Præmia summa tulit.
Percrebuit famâ totius Gentis, et inter Urbes Anglorum, PETTUS ubique suâ; Nomen ubique bonum, PETTUS fuit, atque decorum, Tum Fidei plenum, tum Probitatis erat; Singula quid memorem (Resque rarissima) Mundo Et vixit Foelix, charus et ille DEO, Divitijs Mundo Foelix, pietate Supremo, Charus, et ille DEO vixerat, et moritur; Cumque DEO vivit, post mortem clarior ille, Quam fuit in terris, nunc simul Arce Poli: Candide discedas nunc Lector, Doctus ab illo: Quò vivas Foelix, et moriare modò.
Johannes Pettus, Filius et Heres Thomæ Pettus Patris sui Charissimi hoc Monumentum erexit, Qui Thomas obijt Septimo Die Januarij 1597, Ao Æt. sue 78, Cujus Spiritus in Coelis, Carnis re-assumptionem expectat.
Religio Fructu florens, Foelicibus acta Prætura auspicijs, specimen moderaminis æqui, Mors hilaris, Christi in Meritis Fiducia sola, Hæc Thomam Pettum ornârunt, nunc hic Lapis ornat, Quod terræ superest, cælum mens incolit, urbe Laus, vivas ô sic, sic ut moriare, viator.
1609, Sir John Pettus, Knt. (fn. 32) settled a tenement in this parish, copyhold of the manor of Tolthorp cum Felthorpe, on six feoffees, to be chosen by the parishioners, and when four of them be dead, within one month, six other new ones to be chosen; the profits to go to the discharge and payment of all manner of out charges and payments, going out of the said parish of St. Simon and Jude, and repairs of the church there. (fn. 33)
This family were owners, for many years, of the house joining to the west side of the churchyard, and were principal merchants of this city, and Sir John Pettus aforesaid was the first knight of the family, whose grandson, Sir Tho. Pettus of Rackhithe, was created baronet Sept. 23, 1641.
(101) St. George at Tombland
1339, John de Buningham, who in 1344, changed for the precentorship in the college with Rob. Redgrave, who was the last rector here, for in 1350, William Bishop of Norwich, by license of Edward III. and the Duke of Lancaster, lord of the fee, appropriated it to the college, on condition they served it by a vicar, or parish chaplain, who should have a sufficient stipend, and his dwelling in the college. (fn. 34)
"Trusting in God, better than trusting in the best of Men, or the greatest of Princes, a Sermon preached in Norwich cathedral March 12, 1701, being the Sunday next except one, after the death of King William III. by John Graile, rector of Blickling, some time minister of St. George on Tombland, printed by Francis Burges in Norwich, qo. 1702, Psalm cxviii. ver. 8, 9." He published also, "Sacra privata in Duas Partes distributa, Authore Johanne Graile," A. M. and other works.
This rectory was valued at 5 marks, taxed at 20s. and paid 4d. synodals; and the advowson of the vicarage and appropriate rectory, with the nomination of the parish chaplain, came to the Crown at the Dissolution of the college, and there continued till 18 Elizabeth, when that Queen granted them to Roger Manners, Esq. to be held of the manor of East-Greenwich, in free soccage, but the exchange going forward between him and the Queen being not perfected, he surrendered his grant; and June 27, the Queen, in the 42d year of her reign, granted the rectory, church, &c. to the Bishop of Ely, and his successours, and the nomination to it belongs to that see at this time.
This church hath a square tower, which was built by the parish in 1445, to which divers legacies were then given; it hath five bells and a Saint's bell; the nave, two isles, two porches, chancel and vestry, are all leaded.
1375, John Marioun, rector of Skeyton. 1447, Master John Excester, he gave 40l. to buy lead to cover the church, and a cup of 5
marks, and two silver phials. 1461, William Brampston. 1482, Tho.
Storme, notary publick and proctor, was buried in the north isle, before the image of the Trinity, and gave as many two-feet marbles as
would pave the ground by the altar of our Lady, (fn. 35) and from thence to
the grave, and also an antiphoner of 13 marks, &c. 1491, Agnes
Petyte, widow, she gave wax lights to burn before our Lady of Pity,
St. George, St. Margaret, St. Erasmus, St. Catherine, and at the altar
of St. Catherine in the south isle. 1500. Rob. Harneys, by the south
porch. 1504, Jone Best, widow, by Roger Best her husband. 1518.
Will. Beisby, gave towards the new church roof 5l. to be kept in the vestry among the jewels, till the parishioners be able to set up the roof, and 6l. for a vestment. In 1543, the organs were brought from the Dutch Church, and set up here. About 1565, the inhabitants of Raton-rowe were united to this parish, which formerly belonged to St. Mary in the Marsh. 1480, Tho. Sheef, marbler, for whom Weever, fo. 82, tells us, there was this inscription,
Her arr buryed under this Ston Thomas Sheff, t his Wyff Marion, Somtym we warr, as ye now be, And as we arr, so be schall yee; Wherfore of your Charite. Prey for us to the Trinite. obiit (Marion) M.ccc.lrrriiio.
In the chancel,
Hic jacet Susanna Houghton una filiarum Roberti Houghton Servientis ad Legem, et Marie Uxoris ejus, quæ nata fuit 29° die Junij Ao Dni. 1594, ac obijt 17 die Maij A° Dni. 1604, A°. Æt. suæ 9°.
Marmore sub isto recubant Antonius Norris Generosus, et Antonius ejus Filius, non nisi generali Resurrectione excitandi, Qui animas Deo reddiderunt, primus xio die Mensis Aprilis Ao salutis 1688, æt. suæ 53. Et alter die Mensis Aug. xxiio A. D. 1709, à suis Cunis 34.
On marbles in the altar rails:
This stone was bought and layd at the charge of John Atwood of this Parish; John Andrewes the Son of John Andrewes of Yarmouth, and Susan his Wif, Daughter to John Atwood, was buried here Nov. 4, 1673.
Gleane impales, on a bend ingrailed, three roses. Leonard Gleane Gent. 1683. Eliz. his wife 1701. Frances their Daughter widow of the Rev. Owen Hughes, A. M. and LL. B. late Chancellor of Bangor, died 7 Febr. 1741, aged 61. Christopher son of John Jay Esq. 1669. Leonard Gleane LL. B. son of Leonard Gleane Gent. and Eliz. his Wife, 1720, 37. Charles Pouwells 26 Feb. 1615, 64.
Henry Brice 1698. Mary his wife 1699. Mary daughter of Tho. Reyner 1684. Margaret Dr. of Walter Reyner 1686. Sarah Dr. of Henry and Sarah Shardelowe 1689. Constance Knite 1641. Nat. Michels 1698. Nat. Michels 1681. Goditha and Elisha Skelton 1692. Susanna Wife of John Collinges Merchant, and John Collinges, 1729, Mary Snowden 1690. Tho. Snowden 1693. Nat. son of Isaac and Susanna Collinges 1700.
Here 'till in Heaven their Souls and Bodies meete, Sherif Lucian Lawes, (fn. 36) his Wife lies at his Feete, By Name Elizabeth, Reader then pray, Thou there mai'st meete them at the latter Day.
Letitia Wife of Edmund Frost of Hunston-hall in Suffolk Gent. 1700, 58. Edm. Frost 1700, 68. Judith their Daughter wife of Mr. Daniel Meadows of Norwich, June 24, 1719, 41, and Philip and Thomas 2 of their children.
In the south isle,
Will. Hill 1710, 47. Hercules Foster 1689. Jane wife of Rob. Mihill Grocer, and Jane their Dr. 1674. Mary daughter of Rob. Barkham of Southacre Gent. and Eliz. his wife, daughter of Charles Cornwaleis of Broom-hall in Suffolk Esq. June 30, 1684.
Eliz. wife of Abraham Yestis 1718, Elizabeth a 2d Wife, 1723, and several children by them. 3 coats viz. 1st, sab. a cross between 4 crescents arg. 2d Yestis az. a bend erm. cotized or between 3 falcons rising of the 2d. 3d, gul. four bars, and in chief three annulets arg.
In the north isle,
Jane wife of Robert Burgess 1613. Robert Burgess 1718. Thomas Groome 1708. John Lynnyck Gent. 1667, 58. Nevill and Thomas Witherley, twins, sons of Edw. and Dorothy Witherley 1655. Thomas Beecroft 1710, 45. Samuel Stearling Gent. 1689. Robert Beecroft carrier 1662, 50.
At the east end is a mural monument, having at the top the crest
and arms of Anguish, viz. a snake wreathed proper; arms, gul. a cin
quefoil pierced or. On the north side is the effigies of a man in his
mayor's habit, kneeling at a faldstool, and nine sons by him, two in
swadling clothes, laid on two sculls for pillows, and two more holding
sculls, to denote they died before him; over his head is a shield of the
arms of Anguish, and over that, this motto, terrestria sperno.
Opposite to him is his wife and three daughters by her, each holding
a scull; over her is a shield of Thurston's arms, and this motto,
cæestia sequar, and the mercers arms are below, to show he was
of that business; on the faldstool are placed two books, under them is
Here under lieth the Body of Thomas Anguishe late Citizen and Alderman of Norwich, and sometymes Maioer of this Citie, who deceased the 26 of Januarie Ao. Dni. 1617, Ætatis suæ 79, who had to Wife Elizabeth the Dr. of Edmund Thurstone, and had Yssue by her, 9 Sonnes and 3 Drs. whereof at their Death, there were livinge five Sonnes onelie.
In the chancel,
Benj. Andrewes merchant 1623, 48. Thomas only son of Christopher Grigges 1664. Anne daughter of Tho. and Eliz. Grigges 1685. Catherine Martin 1698. John son of alderman William Browne and Judith his wife, 21 May 1621. Lucy daughter of Christopher Lay Esq; 1694.
P. M. S. JOHANNIS HARBORD de Gunton Armiger. Qui ex Munificentiâ non vulgari, ducentas Nummorum Libras, ad Tectum Ædis hujus, stramine suo denudandum, Plumbo verò obducendum, expendendas, Testamento legavit 1711.
There is also a small mural monument in this church, on which are
the arms of
Symonds, vert, two boars heads cooped arg. impaling gul. two sheep passant. There are the effigies of a man and wife kneeling, with a faldstool between them.
Here underneath lyeth interred, the Body of John Symonds and Olive his wife, who has given by his last will and testament, unto the poor of this parish, two shillings a week, to continue for ever Ao Dni. 1619.
In the south side of the churchyard, on an altar tomb,
SUSAN conjux amantissima, nec non plurimum amata, JOHANNIS FRANCIS naturâ GAWEN & ELIZ: NASH, adoptione JOHIS. & MARIÆ REDDINGTONr Filia: Heu! nimium dilecta, Ao. Æt. suæ 26°. Dni. 1727°. Corpus suum Paterno huïc Tumulo, animamque in Dei Manus tradidit.
On the top of the tomb,
GAGUINUS NASH Clericus A M. Ecclesiæ de Beelaugh quondam Rector, obijt iij Non: Mens Dec. A. D. MDCCVI. In piam Memoriam Patris, ANNA Filia hoc Marmor L. M. posuit, Beati mortui, qui in Domino Moriuntur.
Another altar tomb for Hannah Dr. of Francis and Eliz. Arnam 1722. Francis Arnam Esq; Sheriff 1723, Mayor 1732, died 1741, 67. Crest a leopard's head. On a chevron three boars heads cooped impaling barry of six a canton. Mary Wife of Francis Arnam 1705, 38.
There are altar tombs also on this south side for, Susanna Wife of Jacob Hatt 1734, 50. Jacob & Mary their Children, & and Martha their Dr. 1706, Rob. Priest 1721, whose Honest sober Life and Behaviour, together with his friendly Disposition to all Mankind, made him generally beloved by those that knew him. Millecent his Wife 1724.
The religious concerned in this parish were, the Priors of St. Faith, (fn. 37) Dunmowe, Hickling, Walsingham, and Norwich, (fn. 38) the Prioress of Carrow, the Dean of the chapel in the Fields, the Custos of Magdalen hospital, and the Prioress of Bungeye, who had a house by Tombland.
Over against the west gate of the cathedral, is a large house, commonly called Samson and Hercules, the portico of it being supported by two large figures of those heroes in wood, the one holding his club, and the other the jaw-bone of an ass.
This was formerly owned by Sir John Fastolf, Knt. after that by the Countess of Lincolne, and in Henry the Seventh's time, by Elizabeth Dutchess of Suffolk, who used it as a city house for herself and family.
There are Fairs every year held on Tombland in this parish, viz. on Good-Friday, at Whitsuntide, and Trinity, all which formerly belonged to the convent, and now to the city, see Pt. I. p. 57, note 6, and p. 217.