An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 4, the History of the City and County of Norwich, Part II. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1806.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
(102) The Church of St. Martin at the Plain
Was anciently called St. Martin's at the Palace-gate, from its standing opposite to the north gate, or grand entrance to the Bishop's palace. In the time of the Confessor, Bishop Stigand held it, and it then had twelve acres of glebe; and in the Conqueror's time it was held by William de Noiers, as belonging to Stigand's fee, which was then in his hands, (see Pt. I. p. 10, 16,) and was purchased again of him by Bishop Herbert, and settled on the see, and afterwards given to the prior and convent, to whom it was appropriated, and settled by them on their infirmary; it was taxed at 20s. and paid 3d. synodals, but no procurations, it being then an exempt belonging to the jurisdiction of the dean of the manors of the prior and convent, and was not in the liberty of the city anciently, but in that of the Bishop, and belonged to the hundred of Blofield; notwithstanding which, the sole spiritual jurisdiction of all the parishioners, living on the west side of St. Martin's bridge, now called White-friars bridge, belongs to the Archdeacon, it being anciently his parish of St. Mathew, which at its dissolution was united to St. Martin's; which church, before its union, was of the Archdeacon's own patronage, and so consequently remains still under his jurisdiction.
At the appropriation, there was no vicar endowed, so that it is a donative in the donation of the dean and chapter: Dr. Prideaux says it hath no certain endowment, that the contributions then, were 14l. per annum, and now the whole is worth about 20l. and has been lately augmented with 200l. of the Queen's bounty. The religious concerned here were, the Priors of St. Faith's, Mendham, and Norwich; the Prioresses of Chiksand and Bungey, and the Abbot of Holm.
1383, Rob. de Benham. 1431, Sir Will. Frank, buried in the south porch. 1445, Sir Will. Pyke, buried in the churchyard. 1468, Will. Harbald, buried in the chancel, and settled an anniversary for himself in St. Giles's hospital. 1538, Nic. Pennyman, who was said to be rector, as was Nic. Thorp in 1539. 1617, Nic. Bracket. 1618, John Woodson. 1636, Edw. Smith, A. M. 1662, John Harwood, John Barker, who died 1730, and lies buried in the altar rails with this inscription;
Memor Fragilitatis humanæ Johannes Barker A. M, hujus Ecclesiæ Curatus, annos plus minus triginta octo, vivens adhuc, et victurus insuper, quoàd Deo Placuerit, hanc sibi Sepulchralem Epigraphen posuit. De Vitâ, quam in hâc suâ Peregrinatione gessit, solus Deus [KARDIOGNOSTIS] Judex esto. Nihil unquam Boni, sibi arrogavit, Mali quas contraxit Labes, pretiosissimus Christi Salvatoris Dei æquè ac Hominis sanguis, uti sperat, eluet. Placidè quievit in Domino 1° Sept. 1730, Æt. suæ 65.
Mr. Charles Ray, curate, was succeeded by the Rev. Mr. Will. Smith, who is the present  minister.
This church hath a square tower, clock, and five bells; the nave, two isles, with the chapels at their east ends, chancel and south porch, are all leaded.
In 1300, I find mention of a publick school for children to learn to read and sing, kept in the parvis of this church; now the parvis, (fn. 1) according to Staveley, in his History of Churches, p. 157, was the nether part of the church, (fn. 2) between the north and south doors, which usually was set apart for that purpose; and sometimes courts, both spiritual and temporal, were held there, in which the lawyers often pleaded, even in Chaucer's time, who mentions
A Sargeant at Lawe, ware, t wise, That had oft been at the Parvise.
And we read, (fn. 3) that in the church of Canterbury, at the south door, all the differences in the hundreds were there determined, as in the King's court. But afterwards, this being thought inconsistent with that reverence which is due to consecrated places, the courts and pleadings there were prohibited; (fn. 4) though the teaching and instructing of children was still continued, as being a good Christian work, and tending much to edification.
In 1506, Mr. John Blomefield gave a robe of worsted, lined with purple satin, in honour of St. Nicholas, for the boy-bishop to wear his day and night, in this parish; and in 1498, money was accounted for, which was laid out in victuals, gloves, &c. for the boy-bishop and his attendants, on St. Nicholas's day; (see p. 41.)
In 1500, a perclose, or chapel, included with cancelli, or lattices, was made at the upper end of the south isle, like that in the north isle. Here was a gild of St. Anne, and images of St. Martin, St. Mary, St. William of Norwich, St. Margaret, St. John, St. Christopher, St. Thomas, St. Anne, and St. Nicholas, with lights before them.
Persons buried here, as appears by their wills: 1468, Thomas Lessingham, chaplain, by his mother's stone. 1470, John Pers, dean of Norwich and Taverham. 1471, John Chitok, alderman, and gave ten marks to buy ornaments, and six marks to the Carmelites, and a legacy to St. Giles's hospital to keep his obit. 1504, John Webster. 1505, Tho. Daywel, clerk, before the principal image of St. Martin, in the chancel, and gave the glazing of two new windows in the clerestories, or upper lights of the nave, one on the north, and one on the south side of the rood-loft, "Item I bequethe to the chirche of St. Martyn, one newe lectorne (or reading desk) for the queere there, and one double cloth for the lectorne, with one image of St. Martyn on the one side, and upon the other side Mary Maghdelyn, my selfe kneeling to one image, and Rob. Shynbone to the other."
1506, Mr. John Blomefield of this parish, publick notary, and principal register to the Bishop, buried in the church by Anne his first wife, and gave a legacy to St. Giles's hospital, to put his name into the obit book; he paved the chapel of St. Nicholas in Tybenham church, and ordered his wife Eliz. to have his obit kept every year in this church, and to find a priest, and give him five marks to sing a year for his own soul, and those of his father, mother, and ancestors here, and left estates in Norwich, Garboldesham, &c. to Eliz. his wife, and then to Agnes his daughter, wife of Mr. William, son of John Bokenham of Garboldesham, "Moreover it is agreed between me and Dr. Hare, of his grete gentillness and courtesie, for the probacion of my testament, which longith to him by reason of his officiality of the consistory of Norwich, to have xxs. in money, and a gold ring. Witness Mr. John Swanton notary, my ghostly father."
1526, John Chambre, in the church, before St. Christopher. 1549, (see Pt. I. p. 243.) 1589, Robert Bishop, LL. D. buried 17th Jan. 1618, Ralf son of Sir Edw. Bleverhasset, Knt. paid 10l. to the city poor, on the 27th of March; the day following being the funeral of Sir Edward. 1701, Francis, only son and heir of Heny Batch of Lyn Regis, and Eliz. his wife, was buried by the font.
On a brass plate in the nave, having the arms of Shelton,
Here resteth in Hope of the general Resurrection, the Body of John shelton the second sonne of Ralph Shelton of Brome in Norfolk Esquier, who left this mortal Lyfe the 3d of April, Ao 1588, and in the 33 Yere of his Age.
For faithfull Friendshipe to his Frend; for meakenesse to the Meane; For Modesty among the Rest; renowned he remayne; His Lyfe he lede in Godlyness; devoyde of every Blame; And in his last Ertremitie; hys Death declared the same.
Here resteth the Body of Mary the Wife of Mathew Marcon, & Dr. of Mat. Peckover Alderman, by Prisca his Wife, who dying together with her Infant in Child-Bed, lies with it under this kinde Stone interr'd July 19, 1642, 31.
Here lies a Mother, in this Earth supprest, Who oft in Labour was, yet heere found Rest; Here lies a Wife, lovinge, Religious, Chaste, Who to her Husband Christ, made early haste, Who livinge was so good, so sweet, so quiet, That when but Warre approached, she straightway died; She was so dear a Mother and a Wife, That for to bee the first, she lost her Life. And whilst to this poor Infant shee gave Breath, Shee, and that also, lost their own by Death. The Child would not forsake her, but the Woombe, Which it had lost, it found out in this Tomb, Where once more 'twill be born againe and tend, To a more pretious Life, which knows no End, Mean while they gently sleepe, cover'd with Clay, Never to wake or Rise till the Great Day.
There is a neat mural monument of white marble erected against one of the pillars, between the south isle, and nave, with an inscription composed by the late Dr. Camell; the exact resemblance of which, the plate here inserted will continue to posterity.
There are also stones for, Anne wife of William Manby 21 July, 1709, 71. Will. Manby 1717, 74. Mary Dr. of Tho. Larwood Merchant, 1707, 43. Ursula Forby 1675. Tho. Mickleburgh Senior, 1710, 50. Thomas his Son by Eliz. his Wife 1736, 47. Mary Goodwin 1717, 46. Sam. Barnes 1718, 63. Rich. Mott 1689. Mr. Will. Chapman of London, 1734, 55. Sarah wife of James Daglis 1719, 80.
Barnes, az. three leopards heads arg. Samuel son of Samuel and Jane Barnes 1719, 18, Jehoshaphat their Son 1713, 7.
In the south isle is a table of benefactors over the door.
1550, Lady Calthorp gave a silver cup and velvet carpet, which
is adorned with roses and lilies, and the Holy name of Jesus, and
Sicut Lilium inter spinas, sic Amica mea inter Filias. 2 chap. Solom. Song, verse 2.
Mr. Ric. Moore, in 1608; gave an estate in Cossey, (about 6l. 10s. per annum,) the rents to be given to the poor by the officers, in the coldest time of the year.
Sir Peter Seaman, Knt. gave two estates, one in St. Swithin's, and another in St. Julian's, the neat rents to bind out poor boys apprentices in six parishes of the city, of which this parish is one; the money to be called for at the court of mayoralty by the officers, (see p. 282, and Pt. I. p. 437.)
Mr. Francis Gillians gave 100l. the interest to bind out poor boys apprentices, the claim whereof falls to the parish once every five years; the money is ordered to be lodged in the court of mayoralty, and called for by the church-wardens.
20l. left by several persons, the interest to the poor.
Crest, a demi-eagle. Clarke, arg. on a bend gul. between three bezants, three swans proper, impaling on a chief three estoils, in fess a herne. Hannah Dr. of Edm. and Hannah Clarke 1734, 4.
In the chapel at the east end of this isle;
Eliz. Chamberlayne 1729, 17, Cath. Wife of Rob. Darby 1666, Robert their son 1680. Calthorp's arms in the windows.
Pray for the Soule of Tho. Balkey, (ob. 1529.)
Here lythe Lennerd Spenser who God called to his Mercy in
Orate pro anima Johannis Tillys Generosi ac Civis et Alder- man: Norwici qui obiit xvo die Mens. Aug. Ao. Dni. Mocccco nonagesimo cuius anime propicietur Deus Amen.
John Powl sometime Inholder, died Aug. 4, 1620.
Tho' Death hath seiased on me as his Praye, Yet all must know wee have a Judgment Daye, Therefore whilst Life on Earth in you remaine, Prayse all your God, who doth your Lives mayntaine, That after Death, to Glory he maye us rayse, Yeelde to his Majestie, Honor, Laude, & Prayse.
Sic vos. Non vobis.
Judith wife of John Wild 1712, also the said John 1725, 63. He gave by will the branch to this church, and to the parish clerk for cleaning the same quarterly, and keeping it in good repair, 20s. yearly for ever.
In the chancel,
John Dillan 1708, 59, Anne his wife 1721, 64. Ric. Moore 1692. Nic. Kett, 1635, Nic. his son 1656, 20. Nic. Larwood Merchant 1739, 78. Susanna wife of Nicholas Larwood, Dr. of Henry Henley Esq. of Colway near Lyme-Regis in Dorsetshire 1707, 35, and two of their children. Tho. Larwood Merchant 1698, 67, Mary his wife 1699, 64. Abigail their Dr. 1675, 5, Eliz. born and died in 1677, Lydia their Dr. 1694, 21. Mary the wife of Franois Larwood Esq; Dr. of John Prattant Clerk, A. M. & Mary the Dr. of James Artis of Yarmouth Esq; 24th April 1743, 24.
Alex. Peckover Gent. who died Sheriff and Alderman of this City, 7 Nov. 1649.
'Twere vayne to tell his Vertues, when ech Heart, Better then Stones or Wordes, doth Act that Part, Looke here and learne, how mortal is pore Man, When one short moment, Life and Death doth Span.
There is a large stone with brass plates, on which is circumscribed that passage in the 19th Job, verse 25, 6, and 7.
I am suer that my Redemar lyveth, and that I shall ryse out of the Earth in the latter Day, that I shall be clothed agayne with this Shynne, and se God in my Fleshe, yee I my Selfe shall beholde hym, not with othar, wyth these same Eyes.
Nere lyeth hydd under thys Stone, The Wyfe of Sic Phylyppe Calthorpe Knyght, And clepyd Dame Jane, the Dowthter of one Jhon Bleverhaysset, Esquier he hyght, She loved God's Worde, and lived lykewise, She gave to the Poore, t prayd for the Rytche, She ruled her Howse in Messuer and Sysse, She spent as it came and gathered not moche, The Day of Apryll twenty and seven, God did her call from hense on to Havven. Anno 1550,
Calthorp impales Bleverhasset, Lowdham, Orton and Keldon; and in the east window are the same arms, and Bleverhasset impales a griffin passant or, quartering a fess between three croslets gul. Crest, a fox sejant gul.
In the north isle by the door, lies a stone disrobed of a circumscription, four shields, fifteen labels, the effigies of a man and woman, and fourteen children at their feet.
John Smith 1726, 75, Mary, his wife 1728, 54. John their son 1718, 18. John son of Joshua and Anne Smith 1737. John Gogill 1725, 45. The children of William and Mary Leedes.
In the chapel at the east end of this isle;
Thomas Browne Dier 1701, 73. Tho. his Son 1681. Will. Trower his Grandson 1725, 30. Ben. Austin 1709, Samuel Austin 1722, 34.
Mary wife of Ben. Austin 1697, 35, and 8 of her children. Jeremiah son of Henry Austin 1679, 16.
Here resteth One, tho' young, yet old in Grace, Whose dying Words, declared he ran Faith's Race.
On a monument at the east end,
Elizabethæ Caltrop er illustri et antiqua Caltropporum Familia oriundæ, Unicæ Parentis Filiæ, Primum Nobilissimo viro Hen- rico Parkero Equito Aurato nuptæ, deinde post eius mortem, Gulielmo Woodhouse Equiti perillustri, in Matrimonio Locatæ, mulier castissimus moribus, fælici ingenia insign cæteris- que preclarissimis virtutibus egregie decorat Fæminei serus Ornament Præcell Drugo Drury Armig. qui postremus in urorem durerat, (fn. 5) hoc Monumentum observantiæ t Benevo- lentiæ, animo mærenti, non sine Luctu tam charæ coniugis conseccabat.
Unica quæ fuerat Caltroppi Filia, cuius Nomen perfælir Elizabetha fuit, Hic iacet hoc Tumulo, mulier tot Laudibus aucta, Vt vic speremus posse videre parem. Hæc postquam binos sepeliverat ipsa maritos, Lege maritali tum mihi nupta fuit, Antea chara fuit, quia nos cognatin iunrit, Sed post coniugium charior Uror erat, In Christo vales mea nunc fidissima coniur, Coniunc pars animæ dimidiata meæ, Et quia non licuit tecum discedere, nostra Una sepultura corpora Terra tenet.
Arms on the monument,
Crest, or and gul. a demi-talbot arg.
And Drury and his 13 quarters, impales Calthorp and his five quarters, viz.
1st, Drury. 2d, sab. six cinquefoils arg. 3, 2, 1. 3d, arg. a chief indented, and six croslets fitché 3, 2, 1, az. 4th, arg. a chevron gul. between three caps of maintenance az. 5th, erm. on a chevron gul. three escalops or. 6th, gironé of eight, or and sab. 7th, az. a bend cotized between six croslets fitchée or. 8th Derham. 9th, pally of six arg. and az. on a chief sab. two swords in saltier arg. hilted or. 10th, gul. a chief az. over all, a pair of barnacles ar. 11th, arg. a pair of barnacles gul. 12th, arg. six cinquefoils gul. on a canton sab. a mullet and annulet arg. 13th, ar. a fess indented gul. in chief three leopards faces sab. 14th, arg. a chevron gul. between three squirrels seiant sab. each eating an apple gul.
1st, Calthorp, 2d, Bacon, 3d, Davilers, 4th Wachesham, 5th Wythe, 6th az. a fess between six croslets florée or; the same is in the east window.
At the north end, Calthorp impales three chevrons humetté voided; at the west end,
Calthorp impales 1st, Baynaugh. 2d, Morley with a label of three, her first husband. 3d, Wodehouse of Waxham, her second husband. 4th, Drury, her third husband.
In a window of this chapel, towards the north are, the rose, crown,
and thistles, and under them,
Blessed are the Peace Makers, for they shall be called the Children of God.
This was put up in James the First's time, at the Union.
Corbet impales Heydon. Spencer's arms, and a broken inscription, which shows that that window was made by Dr. Spencer, last dean of Chapel-field-College. Calthorp and Bacon quartered, impale Shelton. Drury impales sab. six cinquefoils arg. Drury quartering the cinquefoils, impales gul. an eagle displayed arg. Calthorp quarters Bacon, Wachesham, and Withe, impaling, 1st, barry of ten, gul. and arg. 2d, Hastings. 8d, Grey. 4th, Valence. Calthorp as before, impales Morley, quartering per pale or and vert, a cross moline gul. It seems the Calthorps had a city house in this parish many years, for in 1492 Sir Will. Calthorp, Knt. lived here.
In the south porch, Robert Wild Parish Clerk 1725, 41. On a headstone in the churchyard on the south side. Anna Dr. of Thomas
and Margaret Skedge 1739, 21,
Reader beneath this Monument is Laid, The Body of a Pious, Prudent, Maid; Whilst her bright Soul, above the lofty Sky Shall dwell in Peace & Joy Eternally, Then let us not in vain lament her Fate, But her great Virtues Strive to imitate, And let her early Exit always be, An earnest Admonition unto thee.
An altar tomb enclosed with iron palisades is erected to the memory of Samuel Wade, 1727, 59, and William, Samuel, and Anne, their children, who died young.
Wade, az. a saltier between four escalops or. Crest an escalop or.
On the north side is an altar tomb for Theophilus Colcock 1725, 55. Arms per pale on a chief three swans proper, impaling a chevron between three eagles heads erased.
On the north side of the steeple is the street leading to
(103) White-friars Bridge, which was so called because the monastery of those friars was near it; it was afterwards called, as it now is, St. Martin's Bridge, and is built of stone, being one of the five principal bridges; it hath only one large arch; there were formerly two turrets to keep the passage, but they were demolished in James the First's time.
(104) The rectory of St. Mathew the Apostle,
By the Palace, or at the School-gate, was so small that it was not taxed. It is said to be in the liberty of the prior of Norwich; (fn. 6) but upon a trial before the justices itinerant in 1286, it was found otherwise; for in that year, a thief took sanctuary in this church, and acknowledging his fault, prayed liberty of sanctuary from the prior, but it was not admitted, it being proved to the jury, that this church, and those of St. Helen, St. Martin, and St. Paul, with their parishes, were within the precinct of the hundred of Blofield. (fn. 7) But after this, the prior did not claim it, for Norwich Domesday gives us this account of it: " The Archdeacon of Norwich is patron of the church, and hath the absolute spiritual jurisdiction over all the parishioners;" and it pays 13d. per annum synodals; but now the church of St. Martin at the Palacegate pays the synodals, because the church of St. Mathew being in ruins, the parishioners go to St. Martin, and have done so ever since the great pestilence in 1349, and before that pestilence, and till now, the church of St. Mathew was governed by a rector, and the schoolhouse is in this parish, and is called Rome-halle.
All which were presented by the Archdeacons of Norwich.
1305, Ralf de Baketon.
1310, Clement de Cnapeton.
1328, Roger Edryk of Happisburgh.
1348, John de St. Faith, changed for Ringland in
1349, with John Graunt.
1358, Stephen atte Crouch or at Cross of Marham, changed the
same year with
Will. Carpenter, for St. Mary Wigenhall.
1359, John Mersey, who was succeeded by Will. de Banham, and he in
1364, by Walter Kempe, in exchange for East-Walton.
1365, Roger Marcolf, who the same year, changed with Simon Parker for Haverlond.
1366, John Wayte, who changed the same year with Stephen atte Cross, for St. Mary Wigenhall, so that Cross became rector again.
1376, Will. Baxtere of Holkham, who the same year changed with Henry de Limpenhow, for Holkham; he died in 1377, and the church was annexed to St. Martin, and afterwards pulled down. It stood on the right hand of the street, leading from the Plain to the Old-men's hospital, directly at the turn of that street, the churchyard joining to the precinct wall; and directly opposite to it, at the northeast corner, on the left hand of that turn, stood
(105) The Old Grammar School for the City,
Which belonged to, and was founded and endowed, by the Bishops of the see, who always collated the masters as to a living, with cure of souls, and they were inducted into the house by the Archdeacon of Norwich. The singing school and grammar schools belonging to the convent were kept in the almonry, and they often were collated to by the Bishop, on the Convent's nomination; both being often in one person; and at the time of their induction there was generally published an inhibition from the Bishop, prohibiting all other persons to teach grammar or singing in the city. But at the Reformation, these were dissolved, and the present school afterwards appointed, as you may see at p. 60.
The Masters were,
1274, Will. Blafield, who resigned in 1385, to Mr. Will. de Plumstede. 1338, Hugh de Waynflet, A. M. 1341, Thomas Buttolph. 1349, Mr. William Pecyn of Herlyngfleet. 1369, William Buntyng. 1403, John Hancock, resigned. 1413, John Seguard, an excellent poet and rhetorician, (fn. 8) but for too freely reprovingthe monks for writing filthy verses, he was deprived, and Hancock was collated again, who in 1424, (fn. 9) let his school to John Rikkes, rector of Wodenorton, paying him nine marks a year, and repairing the school-house and walls including it, and the gardens; but Hancock, as master of the grammar and singing schools, of the convent, reserved power to take lads from the cathedral precinct, and from St. Leonard's, and twelve from the city or county, but no more. 1434, John Spirling. 1439, Constantine Dalby, A. M. 1440, John Scarlet, clerk. 1475, Mr. Charles Herys, master of grammar in the University of Cambridge; in 1497, he was summoned into the Prior's court, the schools being in the exempt jurisdiction of the convent, and was deprived of his mastership, for speaking reproachful words of the monks, and Mr. John Swanton was collated in his room, who was the last that I find collated to them.
(106) St. Giles's hospital,
Commonly called the Old-men's hospital, was founded in the year 1249, by Walter Suffield alias Calthorp, (fn. 10) Bishop of Norwich, on the land which he had purchased in Holm-street for that purpose, having pulled down the house, to make room for the hospital and church, which he built thereon, which was made parochial; the old
(107) Church of St. Helen,
Which belonged to the monks, (fn. 11) and stood in their precinct, opposite to the present hospital, being then demolished, and the parish united to the hospital church of St. Giles, as it still remains; and this is the reason that that church is called St. Helen's at this time.
This hospital is situated on the north-east part of the cathedral, from the precinct of which it is divided by the street called Holmestreet; it consists of 50 aged men and 50 aged women, and is governed by a master, elected by the court, who has the sole management of the hospital; there is a chaplain, who hath his dwelling in its precinct, and serves the church, the whole of which is standing, with a square tower at the south-west corner, in which hangs only one small bell; the choir part is turned into lodgings for the women, and the part of the nave and isles from the steeple to the south porch or entrance, for the men, the middle parts of the two isles and nave, with a south chantry, (all which are covered with lead,) are still used for divine worship: in this chantry is placed the altar, in the rails of which there are stones for the following persons, viz.
Sarah an Infant Daughter of Mr. James Vertue, rector of Catfield, and Margaret his wife, 1723.
Edward son of Peter Attlesey Junior 1719. Prudence wife of Edw. Attlesey Aug. 22, 1694, 71. Edw. Attlesey Senior, Oct. 27, 1693, 67. Edw. Attlesey Aug. 14, 1694.
Nic. Rix Master of this Hospital 32 Years and a Quarter, 1675, 74.
Mihi Christus est, et in Vita, et in Morte, Lucrum Samuel Rix his Son, 1676, 24.
Mori vixit, vivere obijt.
Mrs. Anne Rix 1694, 83.
There is a mural monument erected against the east wall, to the
memory of the three last persons, with this inscribed thereon,
To the Memory of Nic. Rix, who was 32 Years a carefull diligent and faithfull Master of this Hospital, untill the tormenting Fits of the Stone made him resign that Office, and afterwards his painfull Life, which he exchanged for eternal Rest, Nov. 14, 1675, aged 74. To the Memory of Ann his Wife, who concluded her long, as well as pious Life, of 83 Years, Jan. 14, 1694. And of Samuel their only son, who died 1 June 1679. This Monument was erected by Mary their Daughter, Widow of Tho. Shewell late of London Gent. she died 8 June 1718, aged 76, and lies in a Vault near the midle Part of this Altar.
Against the same wall, on the south side of the altar, is a monument of black and white marble thus inscribed,
S. M. Of Peter Attelsey Esq; Alderman, Sheriff, & Mayer of this City, so well had he deserved of the Community; in private Life a kind Husband, a tender Father, a sincere Friend, and in his Religious Capacity, an eminent Example to all Men, he died Febr. the 14th, 1729, aged 66. By him resteth Anne his loving and beloved Wife, who died Sept. 26, 1728, aged 75. As also Edward and John their Sons.
Opposite to this is another monument of the same form and materials, erected to the memories of,
Anne youngest Daughter of Peter Attlesey Esq; and Anne his wife, late wife of John Barker, Dec. 4, 1733, aged 40, she lies buried in her father's vault.
Sarah their eldest Daughter, widow of Philip Dyball, Sept. 9, 1735, 45. Phillip Dyball her Husband, Dec, 28, 1718, 28. Anne Dyball their Daughter Feb. 15, 1731, 14. Philip their Son Nov. 18, 1716, 1.
There are also stones for the following persons;
Edward son of Peter Attlesey and Anne his Wife, 1698. Will. Attlesey, 1700, 47. Margaret his Wife 1728, 78. Will. Masey 1706. Nic. Son of Edward and Prudence Attlesey, 1718, 54. Sarah his wife 1725, 64. Martha their Daughter, wife of Will. Attlesey, 1735, 39. Rich. Angell 1717, 26. Sarah his wife, Dr. of Nicholas and Sarah Attlesey, 1738, 48.
Thomas Son of Christopher Baret of Yarmouth, Gent. 1721, 38, and 7 of his children.
Crest, a helmet with two feathers by way of plume. Baret, arg. a bend az. between three mascle buckles gul. This family was of Horstead.
Joseph Rant Clerk and Alice his wife 16 - - - Mr. Augustine Steward Gent. 1689, 57, Mary his wife 1697, 65. The arms of Steward.
William Burnham Gent. late Master of this Hospital 28 Years, who was to the poor, a tender parent, and prudent Governour, industrious in his Calling, true to his Trust and Friend, an endearing and affectionate Husband, a loving and kind Relation, whose Life God having blessed with full Years, he has changed for a Crown incorruptible. 21 Oct. 1714, aged 74. Mary his Wife died March 8, 1721, aged 72.
There is a fine stone on the south side of this chapel, but it hath lost its inscription, effigies, and four shields.
There is also towards the north, another stone, having lost a circumscription and effigies, of a priest; there are four labels, one at
each corner, on which, Eupr Thesu help. And there were four labels
from his mouth, two are lost; on those remaining are these words,
In novissimo die de terra Surrecturus sum Secundum Actum meum noli me iudicare.
This was laid over Bartholomew Pecock, rector of Surlingham, who was buried in 1385.
The roof of this chapel is a stone arch, with curious carvings thereon; in the midst is the coronation of the Virgin Mary; in another place her ascension; the outward row of figures are the twelve Apostles, and the four on each side are the emblems of the Evangelists; there is also the salutation, and several other histories.
It appears, that the church was beautified when Peter Attlesey was mayor, in 1715, and again when Robert Harvey was mayor in 1738.
In the south isle is a stone reaved of its brass; it now lies in the vestry, and is something broken; the inscription, when perfect, was this,
Here lyeth Hew Herysun, the whyche departed the rrvii Day of August Ao Dni. Movorlviii. of whose Soule Jesu have Mercy.
Stephen Priest 1671. John Foster 1719, 64. By the south door lies a piece of a coffin stone very ancient, with the effigies of a priest cut thereon. This was laid over John de Ely, rector of Acle, who was instituted there in 1362, and was buried at the entrance of the new choir here, to which he was a benefactor in 1385; in 1381, Isabel de Brook gave a legacy to the new chancel's building.
There are many old stalls, in which the brethren of the hospital used formerly to sit.
The church was seated by John Hecker, master, whose name remains carved on several seats; on one he is represented on his knees in a priest's habit; on the tops of other seats, are carved St. Margaret and the dragon, the emblems of St. Mark, St. John, &c.
In the church, on a brass plate,
Hic iacet Willmo: Garlond Capellanus quondam Frater istius Hospitalis cuius anime propicietur deus Amen.
Hic iacet corpus Dni: Edmundi Keche Presbyteri, cuius anime propicietur deus Amen.
Daniel Markon Nov. 18, 16 - - aged 36. Tho Church 1683.
Repositum Johannis Filij dilectissimi Johannis Brandon Clerici et Anne Uxoris ejus, qui animam expiravit 8vo. die Nov. A°. 1705.
On a black marble by the step of the altar,
Crest, a hand holding a dagger proper, and on a label is this motto, I make sure. Arg. a saltier, and on a chief, az. three woolpacks of the field.
Here resteth in hopes of a joyfull Resurrection, the Body of John Kirk-patrick of this City Merchant, and Treasurer to this Hospital; he was a Man of a sound Judgement, good Understanding, and extensive Knowledge, industrious in his own business, and indefatigable in that of this Corporation, in which he was constantly employed, he dyed very much lamented by all that knew him, on the 20th Day of August in the Year of our Lord 1728, aged 42.
This Mr. Kirk-patrick, was a most judicious antiquary, (fn. 12) and made great collections for the City of Norwich, jointly with Peter le Neve, Norroy; being so very intimate, they mutually exchanged their collections for this place, Mr. Kirk-patrick giving all his draughts to Mr. Le Neve, and Mr. Le Neve giving his to Mr. Kirk-patrick; to the labours of both which gentlemen I am exceedingly obliged, which if I did not acknowledge in this publick manner, I should inwardly condemn myself, as guilty of the highest ingratitude.
On a brass in the north isle,
Orate pro animabus Willi: Fualeyn et Margarete Uroris sue quorum animabus propicietur Deus Amen.
In the nave, Anne Wife of Jacob Votier 1730, 45. William Son of John Calver, rector of Gissing in Norfolk, and Eliz. his wife, 1719, 15.
The north door of the church opens into the cloister of the old hospital, which is all standing perfect, being a square of 20 yards, with a burial-place for the parish in the midst of it; the whole cloister is covered with lead; the master's lodge was on the east side; over the door is carved in stone, prior Molet's arms, and Bishop Lyhart's, in whose time it was rebuilt. The refectory, or eating-hall, is standing on the west side of the cloister, and in it is a brass plate thus inscribed, brought, I suppose, from the church.
Orate pro anima Roberti Cowper, cuius anime propicietur Deus.
In the women's lodging hangs a little bell with this on it,
Jhesvs Nazarenus Rex Judeorum M° v° xlviij.
On the stone work in the church, are the arms of Bishop Goldwell, by whom part of it was built, quartering his rebus or device for his name, viz. er. on a chief sab. three golden wells. And also the arms of Prior John Molet, arg. a mullet sab. between three birds gul.; he rebuilt the lodge, and part of the church, (see Pt. I. p. 604.)
Gul. a chevron parted per pale and per chevron sab. and arg. counterchanged, between three crescents sab. and arg. This is in stone over a chamber door. The colours are not to be depended upon, being new painted.
There are arms in the windows of the master's lodge, of Goldwell, Hobart, Le Hart or Lyhert, and his rebus, and other benefactors.
In 1405, Robert de Etone, rector of Yelverton, was buried in the church here, and gave 20s. a year, out of his tenement in St. Peter's Mancroft.
Orate pro anima Dni: Thome Lucas confratris huius Loci et Rectoris Ecclie: Parochialis de Thugarton qui obiit rvo die Marcii Moccccolrrrio cuius anime propicietur Deus Amen.
Owen Cary dyed in 1738, æt. 75.
The following lines are on a board within the hospital:
Henry the Faith's defender, great and good, Bequeathed St. Helen on the poor, Edward the sixth, that Youth of Royal Blood, Confirmed the Gift but added more, Eliza, Happy Queen, with pleasure view'd, The Royal Boon of two such Kings, Gladly She flew to those which Sued, For Charity has ever Wings:
Since which each Soveraign Prince has kindly lent To feeble age, his generous Aid, Well Knowing Kings were truly Sent, To Comfort Subjects when dismaid, St Helen thus the poor protects, From Poverty and Want, A Patroness whom Kings elect, Time never can transplant.
Tempore Majoratûs Richardi Mott Armigeri.
Be ye mercifull, as your Father also is mercifull Luke 6, 36.
On the outside over the chief western entrance, is this,
The house of GOD.
King HENRY the Eight, of noble Fame, Bequeath'd this City, this Commodious Place, With Lands and Rents, he did endow the Same, To help decreped Age in wofull Case.
Edward the Sixth that Prince of Royal Stem, Perform'd his Fathers generous Bequest.
Good Queen Eliza, imitating them, Ample Endowments added to the Rest.
Their pious Deeds we gratefully record, While Heaven them Crowns, with glorious Reward.
The choir of the church was rebuilt about 1383, and was called the New Chancel in 1385, by the benefactions of Bishop Spencer and others; and in 1451, the cloister, master's lodgings, nave, and tower, were built by Bishop Lyhert, Prior Molet, and other benefactors. 1461, in some wills it it called St. Helen's hospital in St. Giles's church. In 1272, there was an altar of St. Catherine, and in 1290, another of St. Nicholas, in the hospital church.
The foundation deed was executed by Bishop Suffield, in 1249, (fn. 13) and is dated at Norwich on the calends of Oct. by which he gave and confirmed to God, the Virgin Mary, St. Anne, St. Giles, and All-Saints, and to the hospital of his foundation, to their honour at Norwich, all those messuages which he purchased in Norwich of Henry de la Sale, and Rob. de Stanford, for the use of the master and brethren of the hospital, together with the churches of Calthorp, (fn. 14) Cosseye, (fn. 15) Cringleford, (fn. 16) and South-Walsham St. Mary; all which were by him appropriated to the hospital, with the consent of the prior and chapter, to maintain four chaplains, daily celebrating service for his soul for ever, and all the poor and decrepit chaplains in Norwich diocese, who had not wherewith to maintain themselves; and also to support 13 poor people to be lodged there, and have one meal every day.
And by another deed in 1253, he appropriated the church of Senges or Sething in Norfolk, which was alternately presented to by himself and the prior, to the hospital; after the death of Richard then rector there, paying to the almoner of Norwich convent, a pension of 10 marks a year, (fn. 17) and keeping his anniversary with placebo and dirige by note, duly and feeding on that day 100 poor people, with meat and drink; all which was confirmed by the bull of Pope Alexander IV. in 1256, (fn. 18) when the statutes of the hospital were signed by its founder, (fn. 19) in which he appointed a master for their confessor and ruler, and four chaplains for the divine services in the choir, to be all priests; and two clerks to assist them, one to be a deacon, and the other a subdeacon; (fn. 20) there were also to be four sisters, of 50 years old each, to take care of the clothing, bedding, and other necessaries for the sick, and no other women to be there; the whole of all the offices being to be done by men. The master and chaplains were to eat, drink, and sleep together, in one room; and every day, after grace at dinner, before any one drank, the bell was to ring, and the chaplains were to go into the choir, and sing the psalm of Miserere mei Deus, &c. (Psalm li.) He appointed the collation of the mastership, to be annexed to the see of Norwich; the Bishops of which were to be visitors, and have the spiritual jurisdiction and correction of it: thirteen poor people were daily to have their dinner, and liberty in the winter to refresh themselves at the fire; seven poor scholars named by the master of the grammar-school, were to have their dinner daily in the hospital, and when they went off, others were to be named. There were 30 beds or more, (if the income increased,) with sheets and all things complete; and if any poor man infirm or ill comes to the hospital, he shall be taken care of till his recovery, particularly all poor chaplains of the diocese of Norwich, who have nothing to support themselves, or are so old they cannot officiate, or if they have any disease or incurable infirmity, shall be received, dwell, and be maintained in the hospital as long as they live. And at this hospital shall be an arch a Domini, or Lord's box, (fn. 21) from which the poor that pass by, shall be daily relieved, as far as the revenues will bear. From Lady day to the Assumption, at a certain hour, the great bell shall ring, and a quantity of bread sufficient to repel hunger, shall be given to all the poor then present. And because this house shall be properly Domus Dei, or the House of God, and of the Bishops of Norwich, he ordained, that as often as any Bishop of the see went by, he should go in, and give his blessing to the sick there; and that day, for the welfare of the living and dead, the 13 poor men should be wholly fed in the hospital, and the day after, there should be a mass of the Holy Ghost, for the same purpose. He appointed also four lay brothers, to do the outward business of the house; every Sunday the master was to hold a chapter to correct offences, and to have the sole nomination, and power to receive and admit the brethren and sisters. The master was to be a priest, and swear to continual residence, if he had no other ecclesiastical benefice, and not to alien any thing from the hospital. The common seal was to be kept by the master and eldest priest, and was never to be used but in a publick chapter. In every vacancy, the Bishop was to choose one of the priests to govern, till a new master was inducted. The hospital was to be exempt in all things within its precinct, no spiritual or temporal jurisdiction being to enter; but all was to be in the master's power, except the right of patronage, power of visiting, correcting, and reforming, all things and persons, which was particularly reserved to the Bishops of the see; and to all that observed his statutes, and that were benefactors either by council or goods, he gave the blessing of God and our Lord, and every year on St. Giles's day, an indulgence of 40 days pardon; (fn. 22) excommunicating all those that acted contrary: and at this time he confirmed his former gifts, and added the church of Hardele, which he appropriated to them; and all his land in Hethill and Carletun, of the fee of the Earl of Norfolk, which Roger Bigot Earl of Norfolk, and Marshal of England, (fn. 23) had conveyed to him in the presence of his brothers, Sir Hugh and Sir Ralf Bigot, Knts.
And now he consecrated the chapel, and all the oratories in the hospital, adding liberty of burial for all persons that chose to be buried there; so that the parish churches where they died, were not defrauded of their mortuaries and dues. As to the election of a master, he ordered two brethren to certify every vacancy to the prior, and the archdeacons of Norwich and Norfolk, who were to meet on a fixed day in the hospital chapter-house, within three weeks after such notice, to treat about a future master, and to swear the brethren concerning the fitness of the priests in the hospital, or any other out of it, who on their oath were to elect a priest, whether gremial or not, such as they thought fit for the mastership, who was to be presented by the prior and archdeacons within eight days, to the Bishop or his official, &c. But in 1272, this method was set aside by the Bishop of Norwich and Archbishop of Canterbury: and it was ordained, that the priests or chaplains should always choose their master, whoever they would, if he was a priest, and present him to the Bishop; which was always done, notwithstanding the archdeacons contested their right at the first vacancy.
The founder died in 1257; his will may be seen in Pt. I. p. 487. And in his lifetime I find the following benefactors. William de Donewyco or Dunwich, burgess of Norwich, (fn. 24) who gave for his own soul, and that of Catherine, his former wife, his meadow by Bishop'sbridge, which extended from the river to the hospital, and 6s. 8d. rent in Holme-street, paying 13 pints of wine to the prior yearly, the day before St. Mary Magdalen's day, and finding a priest for ever, to sing daily for their souls in the hospital church: and after this, he gave them three messuages in Conesford, and many rents of value, payable out of the houses in most of the parishes in the city; and by his will, which is dated in 1272, he ordered his body to be buried in the hospital church of St. Giles, before St. Catherine's altar, and gave a very considerable sum of money to maintain five sick people in the hospital continually, and find two chaplains at that altar, daily singing for him, his wife, and their ancestors; and four wax tapers always burning there in service time; he gave the master a silver standing cup, and a gold chain; and a cup and cruets of silver to the altar, and made Hamon, master of the hospital, Gosceline, vice-dean of Norwich, and Robert de Dunwich, his executors.
This man being a co-founder with the Bishop, was daily commemorated with him till the Dissolution; it appears by his will he was exceeding rich.
Roger of Dunwich, and Alice his wife, gave a piece of land by their site. Will. le Mercer gave a house in St. Peter's per Montergate, and Tho. de Tweyt released his right in it. Robert, vicar of Tybenham, gave 10s. yearly rents, out of divers houses in Norwich. At the same time, Roger de Eggmere, (fn. 25) by various deeds, gave them the service and homage of many of his tenants in Bastwic, with all his pastures, reliefs, eschaets, &c. to be held of him at 6d. per annum, and afterwards they purchased much more of him there, and Agnes his relict, and James his son released all rents and services whatever, due from the hospital. Will. de Tyvile gave them land in Intewood, (fn. 26) Walt. Barun of Cringleford, gave the 4th part of a water-mill there; and Will. Barun gave a rood of land by it. Peter at Cross, and Petronel his wife, gave land by Cringleford Holm; William son of Ralf de Cringleford, gave lands and the water-mill called Bek-mille, with the pool and fishery belonging to it. William son of Rob. de Bukenham granted them two villeins and their families in Brakene, and Sir John de Lodne, Knt. released Hardele advowson to them, it being purchased of him by the founder.
Ric. de Hethill gave half an acre in Hethill. Ralf son of Roger de Hethill gave three roods, and Ralf son of Reginald de Hethill, a messuage, 32 acres of land, five acres of wood, four acres meadow, and five acres pasture there, which belonged formerly to John le Briton, against whom he recovered them in the King's court. And at the same time they had houses and rents in Norwich of the gifts of Adam le Knite of Sprowston, and Maud his wife, Roger de Tybenham, chaplain, Walter de Derham, Hubert de Morley of Norwich, and Maud his wife, Peter son of Will. de Rakey, Eda de Plumpstede, Roger le May, and Aveline his wife, Isabel de Cressi, Alice Sadde, daughter of Reginald de Burgh, and relict of Adam Germyn, Andrew son of Rob. Faderman, Alice de Iselham, John de Briston, chaplain, Will. Engelond of Norwich Thorp, Robert son of John de Stanford. and Basil de Bek, relict of Laurence Hunger.
The good Bishop lived to see his charitable foundation thus endowed.
Benefactors after his death were, William de Berford, lord of Cringleford, who gave them a meadow there. In 1260, Will. de Suffield, alias Calthorp, the founder's brother, Archdeacon of Norwich, (fn. 27) ordered his beloved chaplain and steward, Bartholomew de Sparham, to convey to the hospital, a messuage, croft, and the advowson of Reppes and Bastwick, with his body to be buried in their church, as his gift. The said William was rector of it, and resigned it to the Bishop, who at his request appropriated it to the hospital, (fn. 28) he purchased them of Hugh de Caylli and Agnes his wife, who confirmed them to the hospital.
In 1275, Master Walter de Calthorp, the founder's nephew, (fn. 29) gave two messuages in Holme-street. Sir Will. de Calthorp and Sir Bartholomew de Calthorp being witnesses.
Bishop Walton gave them six acres in Sething. Between 1270, and 1280, Sibil wife of Simon of St. Leonard, Rob. de Aswardby, and John his son, John le Scot of Norwich, (fn. 30) and Reyner de Langele, chaplain, gave houses, lands, and rents, in Norwich; and Beatrice, relict of Henry de Dunham, confirmed her husband's gifts in Ringland; Walter, son of Tho. Shanke, gave a messuage and 14 acres in Reppes, Bastwick, and Rollesby. Stephen Crok, a brother of the hospital, confirmed the moiety of Uphalle in Calthorp, which was formerly Sir Peter de Hautbois's. The Master of the hospital licensed Lady Petronel, relict of Sir Roger de Brome, Knt. to have an oratory during her life, in her manor-house of Sundirlond-hall, in the parish of South Walsham St. Mary. In 1279, the Bishop granted an indulgence of 40 days pardon to all that would become benefactors to the hospital, or come thither, hear mass, say a Pater Noster, and an Ave Maria, for the souls of the founder, and benefactors. In 1280, King Edward I. granted them a license in mortmain, for their site, and leave to enclose the whole from the water to Holm-street, and to have all paths, ways, &c. that lead through it.
In 1282, (fn. 31) the abbot and convent of St. Mary at York let for ever to the hospital, two parts of the ancient demeans of the Earl of Brittany in Cosseye, (fn. 32) and all tithes that the Prior of Rumburgh used to receive for them, paying annually six marks to the said prior, in the name of the Abbot of York, on St. John's nativity.
1283, Sir John de Vaux, Knt. gave part of the site, pool, river, &c. (fn. 33) belonging to Bec-mill in Cringleford, in the same state as they were, in the time of the late Sir Jolein de Vaux, Knt. In 1285, the Prior of Norwich perpetually leased to the hospital, the third part of the tithe corn of the demeans of Henry de Heylesden, and of the demeans of Adam de Berford in Cringleford; and all other tithes due to them there, for a pension of two marks and an half a year, to be paid to the sacrist. 1286, John, parish chaplain of St. Peter in Hundegate, as executor to Agnes Glover deceased, settled a rent charge out of a house there. 1288, Richard Dunston of Norwich, son of Jeffery de Wychingham and Alice his wife, gave a rent of 12d. yearly, out of a messuage in St. Martin at the Oak, or in Coselany, as it was then called, which abutted east on the hospital land called Gildenecroft; Thomas de Lyncolne, &c. being witnesses. In 1290, Ric. de Tyke was buried at St. Nicholas's altar, and left half a mark to find a light before St. Nicholas, and many rents in Norwich, for a yearly pittance on his obit day.
John son of John de Nerford and Petronel his wife, released a messuage called Brundall-halle to the hospital. 1292, Thomas son of Adam de Knapeton of Norwich confirmed the gift of Will. de Denham and Alice his wife, who was mother of the said Adam, viz. all the arable land which they gave the hospital, lying out of St. Austin's gates. 1294, Will. de Lyngwood gave a messuage and 3s. rent in Norwich, and John his brother confirmed it. In 1310, the rents were so increased, that the Bishop added four chantry chaplains more; (fn. 34) so that now there were eight brethren, who were to wear the habit of regular canons. In 1315, a messuage and 10 acres of land in Erlham were settled by the King's license to found a chantry in the hospital for John Custin. (fn. 35) John de Ely Bishop of Norwich purchased of Sir Oliver de Ingham, Knt. a rent charge of two marks, out of his manor of Redham, which in 1321, was settled on the hospital by John de Sutton, and Will. de Culpho, clerks, Sir Oliver's feoffees in that manor. In 1330, King Edward III. licensed Walter de Filby, and Edmund parson of Lounde, to settle on the hospital, one messuage, 15 acres and an half, two acres of meadow, and 44 acres of reedharth or juncary in Norwich, Hardele, Sithing, Reppes, Wickmere, Cringleford, Hethil, Limpenhowe, and Redham, purchased of Ralph de Burghwode, and Sir Adam de Clifton, Knt. (fn. 36) In 1332, the King licensed Walter de Filby, Sir Tho. de Preston, rector of Colby, and Sir Stephen, rector of Lounde, to settle a messuage, eight acres of land, and the advowson of Mundham St. Peter, on the hospital, all which they lately purchased of Sir John de Shelton, Knt. who held it of him. In 1333, an exchange passed between the hospital and Will. son and heir of Adam de Berforth of Cringleford, of lands there. Sir Simon de Hethersete, and Sir Hugh Peverel, Knts. and John de Heylesdon, being witnesses. Bishop Ayremine purchased the advowsons of the two medieties of Thurleton, Thurlton, or Thurton, of Tho. de Morley of Norwich, and Beatrix his wife, daughter and heiress of Sir Thomas Rosceline, Knt. (fn. 37) and half an acre of land, and settled them on the hospital; and in 1335, he appropriated the church to found a chantry and three chaplains, in his chapel at the palace in Norwich, the whole account of which may be seen at p. 48, and in Pt. I. p. 503. In 1334, the King passed a special license, for appropriating Mundham St. Peter to the hospital, and it was passed by the Bishop in 1340, reserving out of the profits, a pension of six marks and an half, to be yearly paid by the hospital to the serving curate or vicar. In 1350, the King licensed his aunt, Mary Countess of Norfolk, to grant the advowson of St. Laurence in South-Walsham, to the hospital, to found a chantry for her there, and to be appropriated to the hospital; but she making no conveyance of it afterwards, it did not take place. And this year, the Bishop discharged the hospital from finding three chaplains to sing for the souls of Hugh de Caily and Agnes his wife; and the church of Senges or Sething was now confirmed to them; and in 1381, they had a license in mortmain, for tenements in Calthorp, Lodne, Mundham, Sislond, Hardele, Cosseye, and Repps; and in 1392, another, for a messuage, six shops, and six acres in Norwich, of the gift of John Frode or Fryde, clerk, Tho. Spynk, John de Foxle, (fn. 38) and Richer Crispyng. In 1397, Beatrice Godale of Poswick had a grant from the hospital of 8s. a year for life, and that they would for ever keep on the vigil of All-Saints day, an anniversary for the souls of Wido and Maud her father and mother, and of herself, and William her husband.
In 1409, Thomas Lord D'Acre, lord of the honour of Horsford, licensed Will. Westacre, archdeacon of Norwich, William Rees, Esq. John de Thornham, rector of Sparham, Edm. Perke, clerk, William Sedman, merchant, and Walter Eton, citizen, to settle in mortmain on this hospital, their manor in Cringleford, formerly Adam de Berforth's, which they purchased of Simon Sampson, Esq. which was held of his manor of Horsford; and in 1411, the said Sedman and Eton conveyed it to the hospital, with an acre in Wikmere, and Wickmere advowson, on condition they find one fit chaplain, being no brother of the hospital, to live as a brother in it, and daily celebrate for the soul of Master John de Derlington, late archdeacon of Norwich, and all his family, and for Roger Prat, clerk, late master, and Will. Paston of Paston, and all the deceased, allowing him a good stipend and chamber, and yearly clothing. And all was confirmed by the King's license, who also then confirmed the grant of the prior and convent of St. Faith at Horsham, made to the hospital, of 200 faggots of wood yearly, (fn. 39) and 200 chimney faggots, called astilwode, to be yearly taken out of their lands in Horsham, and carried on Michaelmas day to the hospital, at the charge of the Prior, for the use of the poor; and if default be made, the whole estate of the prior of Horsham, was to be seized for it; and this also licensed the hospital to get Wickmere appropriated, if they could.
In 1424, John Duke of Norfolk, &c. (fn. 40) Walter Bishop of Norwich, Ralph Shelton, Esq. and John Heydon councellor at law, released to John Selot, master of the hospital, a messuage, 133 acres and 1 rood of land, one acre and an half of meadow, 10 acres of pasture, 30 acres of wood, and 7s. 6d. quitrents in Hethil; and two messuages, 119 acres of land, four acres of meadow, and 4l. quitrents in EstCarlton, which they had of the grant of John Turnour, prior of St. Mary at Alvesbourne, and the convent there.
In 1430, King Henry VI. for his own soul, and that of Queen Margaret his wife, granted a license in mortmain, for the hospital to purchase 20l. per annum more, towards the maintenance of the society, which now consisted of a master, eight chaplains, two clerks, seven poor scholars for choristers, eight poor bed-rid people continually lodging in the hospital, 13 poor people daily dined there, and refreshed at the fire after dinner, besides such poor strangers as pass by, who are to have a night's lodging there gratis, as many as the beds kept there for that purpose, would hold; and all poor chaplains in the diocese, overworn with age, or labouring under any constant infirmity, so that they could not officiate, were to be maintained wholly here, or at least, as many as the revenues could bear; and also two sisters to wait on the poor in the hospital; so that the state of it at this time, sufficiently appears from the said license.
In 1446, the Bishop visited the hospital. In 1460, Will. Jenny, John Jenney, and John Browne, sold their manor of Heylesden in Cringleford, which was lately Tho. Wetherby's, Esq. whose wife Margaret released her right in it to the hospital. In 1450, Sir John Fastolff, Knt. (fn. 41) sold the manor of Mundham, and the advowson of St. Ethelbert's church there, to Sir Hugh Acton, master of the hospital, for 200 marks, and it was afterwards appropriated. In 1469, Nic. Abbot of Langley, released several rents paid out of divers houses in Norwich.
The hospital was obliged to find a chaplain in St. Barbara's chapel at the gild-hall, the whole account of which may be seen at p. 232, 3.
For the foundation of Bishop Goldwell's chantry priest here, see p. 178, and Pt. I. p. 541.
In 1499, the hospital presented to the rectory of Couteshall, of which John Smith, (fn. 42) late master, had been rector, and because they could not get it appropriated, the master always had it, and held it with his mastership.
In 1532, the hospital leased the site of their manor of Rokels in Trowse, (fn. 43) with the dove-house, &c. and a faldcourse in Trowse and Bixley, and three hills of bruery called Blake-hills, with Blake's swan-mark thereto belonging, (fn. 44) and the tenant covenanted among other things in the manor-house, to leave the three panes of glass, with the image of St. Giles in them.
In 1535, upon the exchange of the bishoprick's lands and revenues, the advowson of the hospital came to the King, who in 1537, granted the mastership to Rob. Codde, who was instituted by the Bishop, and inducted on his mandate, it being then valued in the King's Books at 90l. and paid first-fruits, and 9l. yearly tenths, as an ecclesiastical benefice, from which it was afterwards discharged by Edward VI.
In 1536, the hospital leased out the old school-house yard or close (now Adam and Eve's Gardens) to Dame Jane Calthorp, widow, as it abutted on the east part of the head mansion of Sir Philip Calthorp, Knt. her late husband, and on the King's river north. In 1544, Rob. Codde, master, Rob. Dowe, John Fisher, &c. brethren, leased to Alderman Thomas Codde, all that ground called the Lathe, with the buildings and the Gildencroft, a pightle, and dove-house, and 31 acres in the field without St. Austin's-gates, and other lands, for 21 years, containing together 53 acres.
King Henry VIII. designed to have dissolved this hospital, and to have granted it to the city, clear of all first-fruits, tenths, and other out-payments, to the Crown, but died before it was done: however, in pursuance of his will, which ordered that all exchanges, promises, &c. which he had made, should be punctually performed, on the 6th of March, 1 Edward VI. 1547, William Rugge Bishop of Norwich, as diocesan and patron, and Nicholas Shaxton, D. D. late Bishop of Salisbury, (fn. 45) master or custos of the hospital or college, and all the brethren, chaplains, or fellows thereof, with the consent of the dean and chapter, in a full chapter held in the chapter-house of the hospital, surrendered into the King's hands, the site of the hospital, "and also all and synguler the manors, land, tenements, hereditaments, church, lead, bells, tymbre, iron, glasse, tylestones, ornaments, and all other possessions and things of the same late hospital, in Norfolk, Suffolk, and Essex," which being thus vested in the King, he by indenture tripartite dated March 8, in the first year of his reign, (fn. 46) made between himself on the first part, the honourable Prince, Edward Duke of Somerset, his uncle, counsellor and governour of his Grace's person, and Lord Protector of his Highness's realms, the Rev. Father in God Thomas Archbishop of Canterbury, Sir William Pawlet, Knt. of the Garter, Lord St. John, and great Master of the King's most honourable household, Sir John Russell, Knt. of the Garter, Lord Russell and Lord Privy Seal; Sir John Dudley, Knight of the Garter, Earl of Warwick, and great Chamberlain of England; Sir Tho. Wryothesley, Knt. of the Garter, Earl of Southampton; the Right Rev. Father in God Cuthbert Tunstall Bishop of Durham; Sir Anthony Browne, Knt. of the Garter, Master of the King's horse; Sir Will. Paget, Knight of the Garter, Chief Secretary to the King's Highness; Sir Ant. Denny, Knt. Sir Will. Herbert, Knt. Sir Edward Montague, Knt. Chief Justice of the Common Pleas; Sir Thomas Bromeley, Knt. one of the Justices of the Common Pleas, Edward North, Knt. Chancellor of the King's Court of Augmentations, Sir Edw. Cotton, and Nic. Wotton, LL. D. executors of the will of King Henry VIII. on the second part, and the Mayor, Sheriffs, Citizens, and Commonalty of the city of Norwich on the third part, for the increase of his honour, and continuance of his health, "and ffor the Soule of the sayd King Henry the VIIIth, "his Grace's Father," did give, grant, and covenant, to give and grant by letters patent to be made before Midsummer following, to the Mayor, Sheriffs, and commonalty of the city, and their successours for ever, "All the Site, Circuit, Compas, and Precinct of the late Hospital of St. Gyles, wythyn the Cytie of NORWYCH, in the Paryshe of St. Elyn nexte Bushhope Gate there, & all the Churche of the same late Hospytall, and the Lead, Bells, Tymbre, Ironne, Glasse, Tyle, and Stone, of the same Church, & late Hospytall, and all th'ornaments of the some Churche and late Hospytall, & all Plate, Stuf of Houshold, and other Thyngs to the late Church, & late Hospytall, or to eyther of them, belongyng or appertaynyng, and also all and syngler Houses, Buyldyngs, Gardynes, Meadows, Manors, Messuages, Lands, and Tenements, & all other his Graces Possessyons & Heredytaments, wythyn the Site, Circuyt, & Compas, or Precinct of the sayd late Hospytall; and also all & syngler his Graces Manors, Personages, Messuages Mylls, Houses, Buyldyngs, Lands, Tenements, Meadows, Fedyngs, Pasturs, Wodds, Undrewodds, Rents, Reversyons, Services, Courts, Leets, Perquysits & Proffuts of Courts and Leets, Vewse of Frankepleg, Advousons, Tythes, Oblacons, Pentions, Portions, Wavyes, Strayes, Wards, Marriages, Releyffs, Harryots, Eschetts, Warrens, Folde Courses, and all other his Graces Heredytaments; wyth all and syngler theyr Appurtenances, as well Spirituall as Temporall, of whatsoever Kynd or Nature they byn of, or by whatsoever Name or Namys the same byn reputed or taken, scituat lyeng or beyng in the sayd Citie of Norwych, and in the Counties of Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex, and Norwich; and the Rectory and Personage of the same Parysche Church of Saint Elyn in Holmstret afforesayd, or by whatsoever other Name or Names the same Church is called or knowen, and the Steple, Bells, Lead, and Site of the same Church, and all the Tythes, Oblacons, Obvencons, and Offryngs of thynhabytaunts of the same Paryshe from hensforth for the Tyme beyng, and all the Messuages, Lands, Tenements, Heredytaments, Pencons, Porcons, and other Proffutts, Revenews, Commodyties, & Possessions, as well Spirituall as Temporall, of the same Paryshe Church of Saint Elyn, or to the same Rectory, Personage, or Parysshe Church, or to the Persone of the same, in the Right of the same belongyng or in any wyse appertaynyng."
To have and to hold, &c. to the Mayor, Sheriffs, Citizens, and Commonalty, and their successours for ever, of the King in soccage by fealty only, and not in chief. The said hospital being to be henceforward a place and house for relief of poor people, and to be called
God's-house or the House of the Poor in Holmstreet, within the city of Norwich, of the foundation of King Edward the VI. and King Henry the VIII. his most noble Father, and it was agreed and confirmed
"That the Church there shall be the Parysshe Church of Saint Elyn, as heretofore it hath ben used for Dyvyne Servis, wyth all manner of Sacraments & Sacramentalls, to be from hensforth, sayd, song, and mynystred there, as well to the Paryshners of St. Elyns Paryshe in Holmstreet afforesayd, ffor the tyme being, and to thynhabitants wythyn the Site of the sayd late Hospytall for the tyme being, as also to the poore People, Officers, and Mynysters, from hensforth to be resydent or commorant wythyn the Precynct of the sayd Hospytall, and that all Housys, Buyldyngs, Ground, and Soyle, wythyn the sayd Site of the sayd late Hospytall, shall hereafter be called GODD's HOWSE, or The Howse of the Poore, as is aforesayd, and from hensforth shall be accepted and taken to be part and Parcell of the seyd Parysshe & Parysshe Church of Saynt Elyn in Holmstreet afforesayd, and of none other Paryssne. Any Thyng heretofore used to the contrary hereof in any wyse notwithstanding."
And there is for ever hereafter to be
"In the sayd Paryshe Churche of St. Elyn, one Pryest sufficiently lerned, to serve the Cure there, which shall be called the Curate or Chapeleyn of the Paryshners of Saynt Elyns in Holmstret next Busshope Gate, and to the Poore of Godd's Howse." His yearly pension or stipend to be 6l. 13s. 4d. and a sufficient mansionhouse for his habitation within the site and precinct of the late hospital.
And there shall be in the same parish church,
"One other Prieste, which shall be called the Vysytor of the Guyld Hall in Norwich, (fn. 47) afforesayd, who shall attend to vysit the prisoners of the Guyldhall afforesayd, & from tyme to tyme, to say and doo Dyvyne Servis & Masse in the Chapell of the sayd Guyldhall, and to Mynyster Sacraments to the Prisoners there, as heretofore hath ben accustomed and also shall be Confessor to the sayd Prisoners, and accompany suche as shall go to Execution, and shall be always resydent there, for the same Purposis," who shall have a yearly stipend or pension of 6l. and a sufficient mansion-house in the site of the hospital.
And there shall be from henceforth for ever in the said hospital, one schoolmaster, (fn. 48) and one usher under him, sufficiently learned in the Latin tongue, to learn children the art or science of grammar, both which shall be attendant there for the instructing and teaching of the said children there, by them to be taught freely without any reward, other than their stipends and salaries, the schoolmaster to have 10l. per annum, the usher 6l. 13s 4d. per annum, and convenient mansion-houses for their habitations and dwellings, within the site of the hospital.
And the King appointed the curate or chaplain, the visitor, schoolmaster and usher, to take of the city their different grants in writing, under the common seal, for their several stipends and mansions, to have and to hold to them, "so long and duryng such tyme, as the same "chapeleyn, visytor, scolemaster, and usher, shall demean themselves well, and do theyr offyces," The mayor for the time being, with the assent of the most number of the aldermen then being, always to have the nomination and appointment of the chaplain, visitor, schoolmaster, and usher, and of all other officers, and ministers of the hospital; and to amove, expel, and put out from their rooms and offices, any of them, "for any notable cryme, offence, or neglygence, to be commytted by any of them, or for disobeying, or not doyng and performyng of suche good and reasonable rules, ordynaunces, and precepts, as shall be prescrybed, assigned, or appoynted to theym, or any of theym, by the sayd mayor, sheryffs, cytyzyns, and commonaltie, or theyr successours, to be done, executed, or performed." And the court is obliged to present to any place void, in three months space, either in case of vacancy or amotion, and the grants to the chaplain, &c. are to be made with clauses of distress, in case of non-payment on the hospital revenues, all other offices but the chaplain, visitor, master, and usher, are to be filled up in a month's time after any avoidance, and the court is to find sufficient and convenient lodging, meat, drink, bedding, wood, and all other things necessary for 40 poor persons, to be resident, lying, abiding, and found, from time to time, in the hospital; and 4 women to make the beds, and attend upon the poor persons, each of the four to have for their wages and apparel 33s. 4d. per annum. "The same fourty poor persons, and every of them, are to be always removeable from day to day, wyke to wyke, moneth to moneth, and tyme to tyme," and others to be taken and received into their rooms and places, at and by the discretion of such person and persons, as shall be named and elected from time to time, by the mayor and most part of the aldermen, to admit, receive, take and remove to and from the said house, the said 40 poor persons, the mayor and greater part of the aldermen, are to choose one sufficient person to be cater or steward, (fn. 49) of and for the provision of the poor there, and he to have yearly one coat or gown of 10s. price, for his livery, and 40s. for his wages, and sufficient meat and drink in the said house. And also a sufficient person to be rent-gatherer, or collector (fn. 50) of the rents and revenues of such possessions as belong to the hospital, he to have 3l. per annum, for his fee. And also one convenient person to be porter or butler, he to have a coat or gown of 10s. price for his livery, and 26s. 8d. for his wages, and sufficient meat and drink in the said house. And also one other convenient person to be cooke, baker, and brewer, who is to have a coat or gown of 10s. for his livery, and 26s. 8d. for his wages, and sufficient meat and drink in the said house.
The city had now also license to receive by purchase, bargain, sale, alienation, gift, grant, legacy, bequest, or otherwise, of the Kings of the realm, or any bodies politick, or any other persons, any manors, parsonages, lands, tenements, tithes, rents, reversions or other revenues, to 200l. per annum value, over and above all the ancient revenues of the hospital, though they be held in chief of the King, or of any other person by any tenure, notwithstanding the act of mortmain.
"And the sayd Mayor, Sheryffs, Cytizens, and Commonaltye, did Covenaunt, Promyse, and graunt for theym, and theyr Successours, to and with the Kynge, his Heyrs and Successours, that the whole yearly Proffits and Revenuse of the sayd Manors, Lands, Tenements, Tythes, Possessions, Heredytaments, and other the Premysses appoynted to be gyven and graunted to the sayd Mayor, Sheryffs, Cytyzens, and Commynaltye, and their Successours; and whiche the sayd Mayor, Sheryffs, Cytyzens and Commynaltye, shall by, and purchase, or that shall be gyven them by Reason of the sayd Lycence over and besyds the fynding of the sayd Chapeleyn, Visitor, Scolemaster, and Usher, and other necessary Mynysters and Offycers, as are before appoynted to be found by the sayd Mayor, Sheriffs, Cytizens, and Commonaltie, and over and besyds mayntayning of the necessary Reparations, and Buyldyngs of the said Hospytall, and every of theym, and the Successours of every of theym, and all and every theyr Pencons, Salaryes, and Stypends, as also the sayd Manors, Personages, Lands, Tenements, and other the Premysses to be given." Or that shall hereafter any way come and belong to the hospital, shall be expended on the hospital, the officers, and poor people there, which are to be augmented as the revenues increase; the said mayor, sheriffs, citizens and commonalty, and their successours, to be always rulers and governours, of the hospital or God's-house, and of the people there; and the King, (notwithstanding the statute of 26 Henry VIII. which gave all tenths and first fruits to the King,) for ever discharged the hospital and all churches appropriated to it from all such payments, (fn. 51) upon showing these letters patent to the chancellor of the Augmentation Office.
All this was confirmed by letters patent under the broad seal, dated at Westminster, 7th May, 3d Edward VI. Ao. 1549, without any fee. And by (the charter or) letters patent all the old possessions were granted in the same and as ample a manner, as to spirituals and temporals, as any master ever held them, they being then valued at 142l. 19s. 2d. ob. and were to be held of the King's manor of Gimmingham, in free soccage by fealty only.
And thus it continued till Febr. 5, 14 Eliz. 1571, when that Queen augmented it with the lands of Robert Redman, grocer, of Norwich, in Cringleford, Intwoad, Hetherset, Cantley, Colney, and Eaton, which were forfeited on his being attainted of high-treason. All which her Majesty settled for the support of an exhibition (fn. 52) to be paid out of the hospital revenues, and to increase the maintenance of the poor there, for which purpose she granted license in mortmain to purchase 20l. per annum more for the use of the hospital, and 40l. per annum for the use of the city. Since which time, divers purchases have been made, sufficient to support a chaplain or master, cater or steward, and 100 poor people, men and women, (the nurses included,) all clothed in gray, none of which should be admitted under 60 years of age.
The Revenues of this Hospital
As they were accounted for in the year 1728, and such annual Sums as they are obliged to pay, are as follow, viz.
Which Revenues are subject to the following annual Payments, besides Taxes, Repairs, &c. the clear Overplus being to maintain as many Poor as it can:
|To the Master, Chaplain, or Curate (besides his house rent free in the Hospital, and what he can make of his parish of St. Helen or St. Giles in Holmestreet, (fn. 53) which is voluntary contribution, amounting in Dr. Prideaux's time to 8l.) a clear rent charge or annuity of 30l.||30||0||0|
|To the Master of the Free-school 50l. per annum, besides his house by the school, which he hath in lieu of that appointed him by the charter in the hospital, a clear stipend of||50||0||0|
|To the Usher of the said school, the clear salary being 24l and 6l. per annum allowed instead of a dwellinghouse, which he was to have in the hospital, gratis||30||0||0|
|To the City Chaplain or Visitor of the Gild-hall a clear stipend of 16l. per annum, 6l. in lieu of his dwelling in the hospital. 6l. for his stipend as Visitor of the Goal, and 4l. as Chaplain of the Chapel of St. Barbara. (See p. 232)||16||0||0|
|To the perpetual Curate of Cosseye, which is in the donation of the city||40||0||0|
|To the Curate of Reppes cum Bastwick, which is in the donation of the city, a clear stipend of||25||0||0|
|To the Curate of Sethyng, which is in their donation, a clear stipend of||5||6||8|
|To the Vicarage of Calthorp, which is in the city's presentation, a clear pension of||2||0||0|
|To the Vicarage of South Walsham St. Mary, which is in the said presentation, a pension of||5||0||0|
|To the Curate or Chaplain (see p. 97) of St. Peter per Montergate, a clear annuity of||10||0||0|
|To the Curate or Parish Chaplain (see p. 75) of St. Etheldred, which is in the city's donation, a clear pension of||5||0||0|
|For a Student in Cambridge, a clear exhibition of 4l. per annum, to be nominated to by the city||4||0||0|
|To St. Peter per Montergate Parish, Mr. Codde's yearly gift 1l. 6s. 8d. and charges about his anniversary sermon kept there 2l. 1s. 8d.||3||8||4|
|To the Recorder of the City||6||0||0|
|The Treasurer's Salary||20||0||0|
|His Salary as Bailiff of Pakenham's Manor||1||0||0|
|The Cater or Keeper's wages, besides the houses, &c. as before specified||10||0||0|
|The Parish Clerk's wages, as Clerk to the Hospital||1||0||0|
|For the Anniversary or Foundation Sermon at the Hospital church, (fn. 54) to the Preacher 1l. Parish-clerk 2s. 6d.||1||2||6|
|The Town-clerk's salary for making up the Hospital Accounts and Pakenham's||3||0||0|
|To Edward Molden a year's salary as Bailiff appointed to look after the Hospital Estates||26||0||0|
|To the Curate of Cringleford yearly for tithes of the mills||1||15||0|
|The Barber to the old men hath a salary of||1||6||8|
|To the City-chamberlain out of Pakenham's Manor, for the discharge of all toll at the city gates||8||0||0|
|To the Chamberlain for a year's rent of the Swan Bank 1l. 10s. and for rent of a Lane in St. Helen's 6s. 8d.||1||16||8|
|Archbishop Parker's yearly annuity to (see Pt. I. p. 311) Bennet college in Cambridge||8||0||0|
|His Sermon at St. Clement's in Ascension Week (see Pt. I. p. 312.)||2||0||0|
|To Sir John Morden's Hospital on Blackheath, a fee farm rent of 10l. (but taxes are to be deducted)||10||0||0|
|To the Master of Aylesham Free-school, (fn. 55) a clear annuity of||10||0||0|
The Masters of the Hospital,
The Masters of The Hospital, were presented to the Bishop, after the chaplains, brethren, or fellows of the hospital or college had elected them, and by him were instituted, and afterwards inducted by whoever the Bishop directed his letters mandatory to, for that purpose.
1249, Master Hamon de Calthorp, who was nominated by the founder in the foundation deed; (see Pt. I. p. 486-10.) In 1257, he was called Sir Hamon de Belton, probably he had that benefice; and sometimes Calthorp.
1289, Martin de Brunsted.
1292, Tho. de Hemmesby, who died in 1311, and was buried here
with this inscription on a brass plate,
Dic iacet Thomas de Demesby Capellanus quondam Magister istius Hospitlais, cuius anime propiciertur Deus.
1312, Peter de Herlingflet, brother here, elected master.
1360, Roger de Metyngham; he resigned, and in
1372, Master John de Derlington, archdeacon of Norwich, was collated; see Pt. I. p. 639.
1375, Roger de Erpingham.
1394, John son of Rob. de Thornham, resigned.
1395, Benedict Cobbe; he died master.
1399, Roger Prat, rector of Heigham by Norwich; on his resignation, he had letters of confraternity, and the apartment late Archdeacon Derlington's, with a chamber and stable, for life.
1412, Rob. Spencer, he died in 1431, and Rob. Spencer, clerk, was his executor.
1431, Mr. Willam Sekyngton, LL.B. rector of Sutton, inducted by Roger Prat, rector of Heigham, who was again inducted into the mastership on Sekyngton's resignation, in 1432.
1436, Master John Walpole, rector of Shipdham, brother to Bishop Walpole, (see Pt. I. p. 495.)
1437, Mr. Hugh Acton, clerk, notary publick.
1464, John Selot, alias Salet, LL. D. Archdeacon of Sudbury, and rector of Winterton and Colteshale, chancellor, &c. (see Pt. I. p. 632.)
Mr. John Smith, LL. inceptor, chancellor, (see Pt. I. p. 633,) rector of Yaxham and Colteshale, died in 1489, and gave his manor of Rollesby for 80 years to the hospital, to found a chantry priest there, for the souls of John and Joan Smith, his father and mother, Master Peter Shelton, and all his brethren, and his own soul; and after that term, to come to his right heirs, if license in mortmain could not be obtained; he gave also in the same manner, his lands in Couteshall, to keep his obit every Tuesday after Trinity Sunday; and his lands in Bilting ford, to Trinity-hall in Cambridge, to keep his obit there, and his lands in North-Walsham to Holm abbey, to find a monk to sing for him in St. Anne's chapel in that monastery church, and was buried in the choir of the hospital, at the reading desk.
1489, Oliver Dynham, A. M. rector of Coltishall, and Archdeacon of Norfolk; see Pt. I. p. 644.
1495, Thomas Schenkwyn, Archdeacon of Sudbury, and rector of Colteshall; see Pt. I. p. 648; he died in
1497, and Nic. Goldwell, Archdeacon of Sudbury, succeeded, (see Pt. I.p. 648.)
1498, Robert Honywood, LL. D. rector of Coltishall, Archdeacon of Norwich, &c. (see Pt. I. p. 640.)
1499, he resigned, and John Julles, alias Jullys, was elected by John Dowe, president of the hospital, and the brethren there; he was rector of Coltishall, and died master, and was succeeded in his rectory and mastership, in
1513, by Will. Sooper; and he in
1526, by John Hekker, chaplain to Bishop Nix, who died in
1532, and was succeeded by Tho. Cappe, doctor of decrees, who resigned and had a pension of 4l. per annum for life.
1535, Tho. Simondes, the Bishop's domestick chaplain, who resigned in
1537, in which year King Henry VIII. by virtue of the revenues of the see, then in his hands, by the late exchange, granted the mastership for life, to Rob. Codde, priest, and the Bishop instituted him, and granted letters for his induction, and sware him to observe the statutes; he and five others subscribed the King's supremacy: he died in 1546, and was brother to Mayor Codde. (See Pt. I. p. 93, 8.)
1546, Nic. Shaxton, D. D. and some time master of Gonvile and Caius college in Cambridge, according to Godwin, (de Præsul. p. 408,) though I do not find him among the masters there, was elected master here by the brethren, and instituted by the Bishop. This doctor was Bishop of Salisbury, which he resigned July 1,1539, the same day that Bishop Latimer resigned Worcester, and for the same cause; but not retaining the same constancy, he afterwards preached at the burning of Anne Askew, and others, and recanted that doctrine, for defending of which he lost his bishoprick. He died at Gouvile-hall in Cambridge, Aug. 4, 1556, where he had been president and fellow, and lies buried in the chapel there; in his will he styles himself suffragan to the Bishop of Ely; he was the last master here, that had institution and induction from the Bishop. He resigned this mastership March 6, 1st Edward VI. 1546.
And from this time, the power of appointing the master, who was henceforth called the curate or chaplain of the parishioners of St. Elyn's in Holme-street, and of the poor of God's-house, was vested in the mayor and aldermen, who are to name and appoint him under their common seal, to the Bishop, who is to license him thereupon; and the Bishop hath the same power of visiting the hospital, as before the charter, and may fill up the chaplain's, visitor's, master's, or usher's places, if the court do not make grants of such places in three months space, after any vacancy or amotion; and all other offices, if they be not filled up by the court in one month's space after any avoidance.
This church, parish, and hospital, is exempt from the jurisdiction of the dean and chapter, and of the Archdeacon of Norwich, who hath no power to visit here, they being under the visitation, jurisdiction, and correction, of the Bishop himself only, as to all spirituals, in the same manner as before the charter.
1744, (fn. 56) the Rev. William Harvey, rector of Lyng and Marsham, is the present master, chaplain or curate.
1744, (fn. 57) Alderman Simeon Waller is now treasurer. And
Mr. Jonathan Ward is the present keeper, cater, or steward. (fn. 58)
The number of poor people are now reduced to 86, and their four nurses, in all 90.
God's will be done, mine is as follows:
I Henry Jay late of London, goldsmith, now in Stoke Newington Middlesex, do give and bequeath to Mrs. Anne Lewis, 50l. per annum for life, Oct. 27, 1733.
"Febr. 10, 1734, explanation and direction how the 50l. per annum is to be given after the decease of Mrs. Anne Lewis. 200l. to the hospital of old men and women in the city of Norwich Bishop-gate street, to have some veal for change. For 10 poor boys of the parish of St. Martin's at the Palace, 50l. to put them out to handy craft trades; and to 40 old men and women 25s. each, 20 the first year, and the other 20 the second year, and not twice to one, if there is poor enough in their own parish, and no others; 50 pounds in the city of Norwich." Proved at London with two codicils, 12 Sept. 1738, by Tho. Ridge, the surviving executor. In Cur. Prerog. Cant. (Will Book in the Gild-hall, fo. 114 b.
28 Sept. 1736, John Gray of Southwich in Sussex, clerk, settled on the Bishop of Norwich, the curate of the parish of St. Martin by the Palace of Norwich, and the churchwardens there, and their successours for ever, and on divers other trustees, the sum of 5l. a year, which the city, for the sum of 125l. paid them by Mr. Gray, gave security to pay yearly on the 29th day of September; 2l. of which is yearly to be paid on the 10th day of December, to the curate of St. Martin by the Palace, and his successours; on condition, that on that day he yearly preaches in the said church, "a sermon concerning the great Christian duty of love and charity, or the usefulness and advantages of a good education, or preparation for the holy communion at the festival then approaching, or God's love to mankind, in sending his only begotten Son into the world; or any other subject, that the said curate or his successor shall think needfull and seasonable." And the curate is every Lent, or whenever he thinks proper, "publickly to examine and instruct the children and youth of the parish, in the church catechism, and not only to hear them repeat it, but by some short exposition, or plain texts of Scripture, make them understand it; and upon the day he shall finish his course of catechising, or upon the 10th of December yearly, shall distribute among such children and youth of the parish, as he shall judge most deserving, for their distinct repeating the catechism, and their good understanding of it, a small portion of the said 40s. not less than half a crown, nor shall be obliged to give more than 5s. on this account." The trustees on the 10th of December after sermon, are to distribute other 20s. part of the 5l. to the clerk of the parish for ringing the bell, &c. 4s. and the other 16s. to such poor of the parish, not exceeding 20 in number, "who are diligent and industrious, and not only profess themselves members of the church by law establised, but lead good and sober lives, and frequent the prayers of the church and holy communion," and this distribution may be in bread, or in little practical and devotional books, or in money, as the trustees please. The other 40s. per annum may be applied to clothing poor people, or putting out a child or children, "or if at any time there be a promising youth in the said parish, who hath a genius for learning, and is educated at the freeschool in the city of Norwich, and whose parents or relations are in mean circumstances, the aforesaid remaining produce, of one, two or three years, may by the trustees be applied toward the maintenance of such youth at Corpus Christi college in Cambridge. And this he did in testimony of his gratitude to Almighty God, for his great goodness to him, in raising him up many friends, by whose encouragement and assistance he had the advantage of a better education than others of his rank and condition, and in blessing him not only with a competent, but a plentifull subsistance, far beyond what he could ever expect or hope for, and out of the great love and benevolence he bears to the inhabitants of St. Martin by the Palace, being the place of his nativity." And if Anne West his sister, or her children, or their descendants, should through any misfortune stand in need of relief, upon making known their wants to the curate and church-wardens, they shall have the preference in this donation. He ordered an ingrossed copy of the deed of settlement to be hung up in the vestry, to be read by the curate every 10th day of December, to the parishioners in the vestry, after service and sermon, to prevent abuses or wrong application thereof. A copy of the deed to be deposited in the Bishop's office, and entered also in the Gild-hall; the corporation's security for the annuity, to be kept by the curate and church-wardens, and when the feoffees are dead to six, they to renew to themselves, and six others of the parish. (Will Book in the Gild-hall, fo. 110.)
(108) The Tower in the Hospital meadow, called the Dungeon, is about 52 feet high, and 24 feet within; the staircase is on the south side, and is very large; it was built at first, to command the passage of the river there, in order to levy the tolls then belonging to the prior and church, and was used as a prison for the jurisdiction of the cathedral, till the toll-house for that purpose was removed into Holm-street, and then it was assigned to the hospital, and was in a ruinous state till 1378, when the master of the hospital conveyed it, by the name of the Great Tower called the Dungeon to the city for ever, and it was rebuilt by the city, at a great expense, being finished in 1390. In 1565, the tower in the hospital meadow was leased out to the Lord Matravers, and he was to have a way from Bishopbridge to it.
(109) Bishop's Bridge
Was so called because it led directly to the Bishop's palace, and in 1249 belonged to the see; it being then repaired by the Bishop and Priors of Norwich and St. Leonard, but afterwards being a general inlet also into the city, it was agreed to be in the citizen's hands, and accordingly it hath belonged to, and been maintained by, the city, ever since 1393, and they always appointed a porter to live over, and keep the gates; but the hermit which dwelt by them was always nominated by the prior, and the hermit's house, at the Dissolution, was assigned to the church
And now having finished all the part of the city on the south side of the river shall proceed over
(110) White-Friars, or St. Martin's Bridge,
To the only remaining great ward, commonly called the Northern Ward.