An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 4, the History of the City and County of Norwich, Part II. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1806.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
THE SMALL WARD OF COLEGATE,
(127) St. George of Colegate, (fn. 1)
Which was heretofore known by the names of St. George in Coslany beyond the bridge, and of Mus-pool or Much-pool, from a large pool or pond of water, heretofore near it, which is now stopped up; it was valued at 13s. 4d. paid 3d. synodals, was taxed at half a mark, and was appropriated to the prior and convent of Norwich, and by them settled on the Infirmary. It was at first a vicarage, of which Walter de Berney was vicar in the time of Ralf de Walpole Bishop of Norwich, but it was never endowed, and hath been ever since a donative in the donation of the church of Norwich, as it is at this day.
The present building is neat and uniform, having a square tower built about 1459, and three bells and a clock; the nave was rebuilt at the same time; the chancel was finished about 1498; the north isle with the chapel of St. Mary at the east end, was built in 1504, and was called the New Isle; and the south isle was almost finished in 1513, with the chapel of St. Peter at the east end; and to complete the churchyard, a piece of the common ground was added to it, in 21st Henry VII.
On the north side of the altar, between the chancel and chapel,
stands a very fine altar monument, robbed of the greatest part of its
circumscription; it was erected to the memory of that worthy citizen
Robert Jannis, who was born at Aylesham, and founded the freeschool there, and was a great benefactor to this city; his merchant
mark, with R. I. the initial letters of his name, remains on it, and
over it, Contvrbat me. and under it Animam me- -and this part
of the circumscription,
Pormicensis Fausto sub Bimatu Maioris, Pauperum hic vivens semper amator, Elemosinarum largitate (fn. 2)
Opposite is a tomb of white marble, on which a boy leans on a skull, holding an hour-glass, and at top an urn and branch of flowers; Beneath here lieth the Body of Mr. Thomas Pindar senior, who departed this life 24 Febr. 1722, in the 73 Year of his Age, Also the Body of Mary his Wife, 10 Aug. 1724, 72.
Memoriæ Honorandi Patris, Gulielmi Green Gen. qui obijt 3° Aug. A° Dni. 1669, æt. suæ 73° necnon charissiniæ Matris Elizabethæ, piæ Gulielmi conjugis, quæ obijt 9 Jun. Anno predicto, ætatis suæ 65. Duos Filios genuerunt Johannem et Gulielmum, qui hoc in debitam utrique observantiam erexit.
In the middle of the chancel, is a black marble for John Greene, Gent. and Martha his wife, daughter and sole heiress of George House, Gent. and had Will. John, and Eliz. 1676, 54, and lyelh buried in this vault with his father and mother. The Crest and arms of Green, impal a chevron between three eagles heads erased. Crest, a demi-unicorn from a coronet.
Resurgam. Sub hoc marmore requiescit insigne Pietatis Exemplar, Maria Topcliffe, prime Sabeni Penning, deinde Edmundi Topcliffe Generosi Uxor & Vidua, quæ postquam annos 67 complevisset, religiose erga Deum, erga se sobrie, erga omnes juste, tandem Fato cedens 27 Dec. 1675. Quod habuit terrenum Terræ reddidit, animam Deo.
Cœlesti quo in terris exulans afflatus est igne, in suum, quo natus est, revolvente locum, tenui hac capsulâ reconduntur, extincti licet, etiam adhuc loquentes Cineres, hoc est, prosapiam suam referunt monendo Peccatores, quot ab ipso, dum vixerit, à Rostris, ubi regnabat impiger, in Vitam evocatos Lazaros credideris; cujus nondum effata est in Sepulchro Eloquentia Cœli, ubi Potentior erat: diùturnis Laboribus, Consilio Fidelissimo, exemplo tantum non irrefragabili, quot quasi libuit, præmisit Hæredes, ad beatas Ipse sedes migraturus: quos secum ducere non licuit, eos quotquot potuit, terrâ Donavit; id nimirum in votis erat, ut nullos, nisi Spiritu, post se pauperes relinqueret. obijt III Calendas Oct. A. D. MDCXCVI. æt. suæ LI.
Vengeance cry'd Abels Blood, 'gainst cursed Cain, But better Things spake Christ when he was slain, Both! both! crys Lewis's, 'gainst his barbarous Foe, Blood Lord, for Blood, but save his Soul from Woe.
Sacred to the memory of Mr. JOHN LOUGHER, for many Years of this City, a worthy and usefull Citizen; while he lived, he did not only acquit himself, well to his own Family, in every Duty both Œconomical, & Religious, but throughout the whole of his Commerce, was approv'd to all, to be a man of steady and unshaken Integrity, to many he was a kind and & generous Friend, and in affairs of Difficulty, a faithfull & indefatigable assistant; to the needy & industrious Poor, a beneficent Patron: He exchanged this House of Clay, for that which is eternal in the Heavens: Febr. 9. 1732, in the 69 Year of his Age. His mortal remains lie buried near this marble, in Hope of a Joyfull Resurrection to eternal Life.
John Son of John and Rebecca Money, 1723, 37, John Money, 1719, 65, Rebecca his wife 1730, 66. Florence wife of Tho. Harmer 1719, 40. Tho. Harmer, her husband 1742, 71. John son of John and Abigail Dawson 1723, 7. Abigail their Dr. 1714, 6: Another John 1715, 7 months. Hannah wife of John Cooke 1690, 22. Ric. Bridges 1708, 61. Eliz. wife of George Wilson 1739, 62. Anne wife of Rob. Rogers Dr. of Framingham and Mary Jay of Cley by the Sea, 1737, 28, much beloved, much lamented. Tho. and Anne their children, Mary last of all their children, died young. Anne wife of George Blancher 1720, 56. George Blancher 1728, 55. Ruth his second wife 1724, 34. Eliz. wife of John Langley, 1734, 55.
Thomas, Abigail, Sarah, and Mary, 4 Children of Rob. and Mary Harmer, who departed this Life 20 Dec. 1720, 14 Rob. Harmer, Master of St. Giles's Hospital, 1743, 64. Anne wife of John Baldy 1742, 41. John Lougher 1732, 99. Susanna his Dr. 1710, 18. Mary Dr. of the said John, and Mary his Wife, and Relict of John Cromate, of London 1736, 4; these under the steeple, where there stands a good fire engine. There are stones in the porch for, John Clark, an ancient and useful Citizen, 1735, 73. On a bend cotized three martlets. Anne his Wife 1732, 74. John Burcham 1736, 54. Mary his Wife 1741, 62. Lydia their Dr. 1733, 21.
The pulpit was given by R. Jannis, and hath his mark and the grocer's arms impaled with it, and three triple crowns, impaled with a woman's head, and M. I; there are three brass branches; one given by William Herne, D. D. 1715; the 2d by Mrs. Eliz. Marcon, 1696; the 3d is a small one, found in digging a cellar.
In the north isle; Anne wife of Francis Smallpece, Mayor in 1622, died A°. 1625. Tabitha wife of Hen. Tilyard 1716, 28. John English 1684, 50. Rebeckah Bell, 1711, 61. Hannah Bell 1706, 14. A large black marble over a vault, for Christopher Dixon 1734, 42. William Selth 1690. There is a small mural monument for Mr. Peter Redwin 1722, 63. Sarah wife of Tho. Postle 1717, 36. Mary Porter 1702. Jane wife of James Bacon 1726, 65. Peter Pindar 1722, 32. Tho. Pindar 1714, 38. Mary Pindar 1725, 16. Samuel Ekins, Esq who died Sheriff 1731, 51. Mary relict of Tho. Pindar and Sam. Ekins 1735, 54, two twins of Tho. Pindar's.
Sacred to the Memory of Mr. Tho. Blondell, who was born in this Parish the 11 of Jan 1684. He ended this Transitory Life, in Hope of a blessed Eternity, the 10 of Oct. 1730, much lamented by those that knew him: his Remains are interr'd under a Marble Gravestone in the Church Yard, behind this Monument.
Near this Place lies interr'd the Body of Thomas Hall of London Merchant, Son of John Hall of this City Esq; who was born in this Parish A°. 1681, and departed this Life Dec. 18, A°. 1715, in the 35 Year of his Age, who desired to lye here, near unto his Relations; also the Body of Captain Will. Hall, Son of the said John Hall Esq; who dyed July 16, 1721, aged 35 Years. And also the Body of Margaret the Wife of John Hall Esq; who died May 12, 1722, aged 70 Years. And also the Body of John Hall Esq; who served the Office of Mayoralty in this City in the Year 1701, and also in the Year 1715, dyed April the 14 1729, aged 76 Years.
Hic iacent Willus: Normiche quondam Waior huius Cibitatis, et Alicia Consors sua, (fn. 3) qui hanc Tapellam fieri fecit, ad Laudem et Honorem beatissime Uirginis Warie et omnium Sanctorum, et dictus Willus: obiit quarto die Februarii Ao. Tni. MoCCCColriiio. et dicta Alicia obiit secundo die Januarii Ao Dni. MoCCCCColrriio quorum ani mabus propicietur Deus Amen.
In 1513, Will. Stalon glazier, buried here before St. Peter's image, and gave 40s. for the glazing of the windows, when they were set up. 1514, Will. Elsy buried by this chancel door, and ordered two images of St. Mary and John, to be made to the cross which he did make for his friends, and gave 5l. to adorn the church;
M. S. Georgij Cock, Patris, et Filij, utriusque pientissimi, quorum ille Reipub. Magistratu Civili, hic, Ecclesiam Ministerio Sacro, uterq. hanc Civitatem, ille olim Prætoris justi, hic nuper Pastoris Sancti, sorlito munere, ornavit, beavit; Filius quem recens flemus eruditionis Pietatisque nomine, omnium Testimonio, ipsiusque Veritatis celebratus, ad Patrem collectus, ejusque sinu receptus, eodem tumulo suaviter condormit, annos natus LXXI. ob. xx°. die Oct. A. D. MDC. LXXIIJ.
In a vault lie Ric. Lubbock, late Mayor; Sheriff in 1714, elected Alderman in 1715, died in his Mayoralty July 26, 1717, aged 41. Rob Anne, and Mary, 3 Infants. Eliz. his late wife, and after wife to Ric. Bacon Gent. Dr. of Tho. Palgrave of this Parish Esq; June 6, 1725, 43. There is also a mural monument against a pillar, for Mary wife of Tho. Lubbock, Dr. of John and Mary Low of Yarmouth, 4 Dec. 1729, 23.
John and Elizabeth Bayly, late of Stow-Market in Suffolk, who found this no continuing City, but sought one to come, were sweetly united in their Lives, scarcely divided in their Deaths, both died of the Small Pox, he Jan. 14, she Jan 28, 1700. Mary Yemes 1705, 81. Tim. Knights Gent. 1735, 84.
A prudent Woman, chast and carefull Wife, A Matron Grave, an Eminent Saint in Life, One who Religion lov'd, & God did fear, Who loved that Gospel, which she striv'd to hear, Belov'd, admir'd, lamented by each One, Left her frail Body, underneath this Stone.
If Youth, or worth, could hindered have, A Man, a Saint, from dwelling in the Grave, These pious Ashes, had then kept their Life, Nor had an hopefull Husband left his Wife, But whilst this Flesh through Death, doth own this place, His pretious Soule doth live with Christ, through Grace.
1509, Sir John Corpusty, parish priest here, buried in the chancel, and glazed the south window next the perke or roodloft. William Knight, priest buried in the church, and gave a pair of chalices. In 1459, Alice, widow of James Woodrove, freemason, buried in the church by her husband. 1459, John Howys, who gave 4l. towards buying a new bell. Will. Seton, 1478, who gave x. marks for a jewel. 1490, Maud Radbode alias Bewflower, who was buried in the Austin-friars church, was a benefactrix here; she ordered her body to be carried into this church, as she was carrying to her burial, and that a mass should be said for her, and that ale and bread should be then given to the poor. 1494, Mic. Smith, worsted weaver, buried in the Friarsminors church, and gave a pall of five marks price, to be used by the poor as well as rich. 1504, Nic. Peyntour, buried in the churchyard by his own new window, and gave 4l. to the church, and 3s. 4d. to repair St. Olave's chapel. 1507, Tho. Bevys, who gave a cope of six marks. 1516, Alice Crome, widow, was buried in the church, and gave Alms-Houses, (fn. 4) (seven in number) the 7th to be let, to repair the other six, and they are always to be inhabited by widows belonging to this parish.
On a black marble in the south isle, at the entrance of St. Peter's
Under this Stone lyeth interr'd in a Vault, the Body of John Calvert, (fn. 5) who departed this Life the 28th Day of June 1744, in the 71st Year of his Age.
In 1531, Tho. Fuller, worsted weaver, was buried in the church; and in 1533, Tho. Newman, coverlet weaver, on the north side in the churchyard near the east alley, and ordered a tomb to be made over him, and the cross then standing in the churchyard to be removed, and set on the top of the middle of his tomb.
On an altar tomb on the north side in the churchyard, having
Byar's arms and crest,
Under this Marble Tomb, in Hopes of a joyfull Resurrection, are deposited the Remains of Lockyer Byar Gent. Son of Lockyer Byar and Judith his Wife, Oct. 15, 1728, 34, his Father and Mother, and six of their Infants, he died 1708, 38, she 1726, 52. Reader, who ever thou art, prepare to follow, let thy Loins be always girded, and thy Lamp always burning, for thou knowest not the Day, nor the Hour, when thou shalt be called to give an Account of thy Stewardship.
Against the north isle wall, is a stone in memory of Anne wife of Tho. Gregory, and Dr. of Anne Ellis, 1679, 39. Anne wife of Joseph Ellis of Thorp by Norwich, 1679, 66. John Fuller 1736, 81. John Blondell 1713, 71. Hester his wife 1722, 79.
The religious concerned here were, the Prior of Norwich, whose temporals were taxed at 12s. The Prioress of Carhow's at 12s.; the Master of St. Mary Magdalen's hospital, and the Priors of Horsham and Walsingham, the last of which, had a house (now the sign of the Crown and Woolpack) at the west end of the churchyard, opposite to the pond called Mus-pol. which was given to that monastery by John Waryn, and settled on John, prior there, 26 Edw. I. and at the Dissolution was granted to John Eyre.
In 1640, I find mention made of the houses given to this parish some time since, by Mr. Layer, the neat produce being to discharge the King's task; the church-wardens are tied to show their accounts to the court every year; I am informed, that they are now leased out to Mr. Lee for 150 years, at 3l. 10s. per annum clear, who hath demolished them, and built new upon the ground. In 1633, the Bishop, at the mayor s request, removed the Monday sermon then preached at St. Peter's per Montergate, hither, and altered it to Wednesday morning in summer, and afternoon in winter; but all the weekly lectures in the whole city are lately set aside by the court, except Hall's lectures, for which there is a fixed endowment; and they are preached here in their course. (See p. 317.)
The names of such parish chaplains as I have met with are,
1420, Sir John Skynner. 1492, Sir John Corpusty. 1515, Sir John Bunge, clerk; he hired the whole of the dean and chapter, and paid a reserved yearly rent of 26s. 8d. 1546, the dean and chapter leased to two priests, the parsonage of St. George at Muspole, alias St. George of Colgate, and the church of St. Olave, now lately united to the same, reserving to themselves the rent of St. Olave's churchyard, and the dean and chapter covenanted in the lease "to repair the parochial chancel of St. George's church." 1610, Christopher Allen, curate. 1617, Rob. Alleson, curate. 1636, Rob. Kempe. 1662, Mr. Alsey, chaplain. 1672, George Cock. 1695, Benjamin Penning. 1715, Will. Herne, D. D.
(128) The Presbyterian Meeting-House,
(129) St. Margaret's at New-Bridge,
Called anciently St. Margaret at Colegate, (after called St. Margaret's, and now St. George's Stathe,) which was a rectory valued at 13s. 4d. and paid 3d. synodals, but the parish being depopulated by the great pestilence in 1349, the church ceased to be parochial, and the principal image of St. Margaret was carried to St. George's, and the parish annexed to it; the prior and convent converted the churchyard into a garden, and made the church into an hermitage, the chancel being used as a chapel for divine service. In 1429, John Martin was hermit here. In 34th Henry VI. the keeper of the infirmary of Norwich priory accounted for 20d. yearly rent for the garden, formerly the churchyard of St. Margaret at Newbridge, now in the parish of St. George at Muspool. In 6th Edward II. Nic. Loffyn of Bodham was the officiating chaplain here, and Cecily of Newbrigge settled a stipend on him, and another chaplain, to sing 13 years in this church for herself, Will. and Cecily her father and mother, and Ric. and Ralf of Newbrigge, her brothers. This churchyard is now held by lease, of the dean and chapter.
(130) St. Olave the King and Martyr, (fn. 6)
Commonly called St. Tooley's; this church was appropriated to the Prior of Norwich, and settled on the infirmary there; it was valued at 13s. 4d was served by a parochial chaplain, and in 1289, had an anchorage in the churchyard inhabited by Margaret and Alice, anchoresses there; in 1501, there was a gild of St. Olave kept here; in 1504, the chancel and church were repaired, and in 1534, it was called a chapel only, a title that the cormorants of that age began to give to such parochial churches as they wanted to devour. In 1546, it was consolidated to St. George in Colegate; the church was demolished, and the churchyard afterwards leased out by the dean and chapter, as it still continues.
The religious concerned here were, the Prior of Cokesford, whose temporals were taxed at 4s. 4d.; the Prior of St. Faith's 8s. 6d; the Prior of Norwich 15s. 4d. (fn. 7) the Prioress of Carhowe 5s. 9d. and the Dean of the chapel in the Fields 6d.
Rob le Blund, Alan le Blunt or Blund, and Agnes his wife, A° 55 Henry III. purchased a house here of William son of Walter le Slaywritte and Alice his wife, and settled it to pay 1d. a week to the parish chaplain of St. Olave, to sing daily for their souls, and it was after given to the priory.
(131) The Church of St. Augustine
Stands on the east side of Gilden-croft; it hath a large churchyard, and a parsonage-house at the north-east corner of it, which is now in decay; the steeple is square, and is all brick, being rebuilt in 1687; the south porch of brick, which is leaded, was built in 1726. There are three bells; the nave, north and south isles, are leaded, and the chancel is tiled.
There are stones for, Hannah-Dorothea wife of Tho. de Hague, 1726, 27. James Deneaw 1714, 72, grandson of Captain Deneaw who lies under this stone, Sebastian Tavernier 1690, Eliz. his wife 1694, James Negusse 1709.
In the altar rails, Isaac Decele 1679, 56, Isaac his son 1709, 61, Mary his wife 1710,60, Mary wife of Isaac Decele senior, 1710, 87, Eliz. Decele 1682, Rob. Cubitt 1660, 71, Anne his wife 1664, 63, Anna wife of James Rant their Dr. 1680, 60, James Rant 1682, 65, Ellen Springall 1704, 66, Nathaniel Springall 1714, 72, Eliz. Decele 1654, John Decele 1657, Mary Decele 1675, Ann Decele 1677, Isaac Decele 1685.
There are stones in the south isle for, Mrs. Mary Delatate Dr. of Isaac and Eliz. Castell, relict of Mr. Stephen Delatate 1736, 61, Tho. Mills senior 1724,69, Mary his relict 1733, 70. Tho. Mills 1721,32, Jane wife of Rob. Drake Dr. of Tho. and Mary Mills, 1723, 29, Mercy Dr. of Tho. and Mary Mills, 1729, 37, Nic. their son 1731, 41, John de Hague 1723, 10, Mary wife of Isaac Decelee 1659, Isaac Decelee - - - - -
A mural monument in the churchyard on the south isle wall, for Mary 1st wife of Castell Fisher grocer, 1733, 29, Elizabetha Maria their daughter an infant 1731, Susan his second wife, Dr. of William Sheppard of Hoo-hall in Suffolk Gent, 1737,29.
In 1478, Tho. Gyllyng was buried in this church, and gave a new tabernacle for the image of the Transfiguration of our Saviour, commonly called St. Saviour's Image. 1493, John Hodgys. 1499, John Dowce, worstead weaver, buried in our Lady's chapel in St. Austin's church. 1513, Eliz. Smith buried in the chancel. 1515, Reynold Cross, in the church. 1531, John Sketur, carpenter, in the church, and was a good benefactor to the roof. 1538, Rob. Curson, millwright, buried by the Palme crossin the churchyard, and was a benefactor to the new roof.
This church was anciently in the patronage of Lenton priory by Gloucester, 35 HenryIII John, Prior of Lenton, was rector, and had divers rents and services in this parish, belonging to his house; (fn. 8) all which, with the advowson, were settled after 43 Henry III. on Norwich priory, by Bartholomew Prior of Lenton: when NorwichDomesday was wrote, it was taxed at half a mark, valued at 13s. 4d. paid 6d. synodals, and was returned to have been appropriated to Lenton, and after to Norwichpriory, but it being illegally done, the whole was vacated, and it became a rectory again, and so remains.
1590, John Staller. Will. Staller, by grant from the dean; the same year he was re-instituted, being presented by the Queen by lapse, it appearing that the dean, without his chapter, had no power to grant away any turn.
1700, Joseph Brett, (fn. 9) who held it united to St.Clement. Lynn Smear resigned.
1733, The Rev. Mr. John Brooks, the present rector, on Ottway's death, who holds it united to the rectory of Colney, and is curate of the churches of St. John of Timberhill, and St. Etheldred, sequestrator of St. Peter at Southgate, minor canon, and reader of the early prayers at the cathedral.
The religious houses following had revenues here; the Prior of St. Faith, the Prioress of Carrow, and the Prior of Norwich, who had a messuage given by Alexander son of Rob. de Heylesdon, to the almoner and Infirmary, and Ralf son of the said Rob. confirmed it. Andrew de Beccles, formerly porter to the priory, gave 2s. a year out of his messuage, to that monastery.
This rectory is valued at 6l. 17s. 8d. ob. in the King's Books, and being sworn of the clear yearly value of 17l. 5s. 3q. it is discharged of first fruits and tenths. Dr. Prideaux places the endowment in his time at 10l per annum, and the contribution at 12l. There is a close of glebe lying on the east side of the street, which with the churchyard, voluntary contribution, surplice fees, &c. make the whole about 40l. per annum.
Will. Crofts gave a messuge to Andrew de Beccles, reserving a rent of 8d. per annum to St. Austin's high-altar, and another rent of 7d. per annum was settled on it, by Tho. Walter and Christian his wife, who granted a piece of land on that condition, to Alex. son of Rob. de Heylesdon and Sarah his wife, and Amabilia de Heylesdon; and a shop in Middle-row in the Market, was held by 3d. per annum payable to this altar.
(132) St. Austin's-Gate,
As it is still called, belongs to the city, and joins to the west part of St. Austin's churchyard, and formerly was very large, but by length of time, that part included within the walls, is much reduced, it being divided into many parts, in the hands of private owners; it is the demean land of Tolthorp manor, (which see under St. Clement's parish,) and the court of the manor was formerly held here, from whence I suppose it took its name, it being the place where all the tenants that paid their geld or tax to the manor, where to meet; (fn. 10) and here the publick exercises of the city were held, for tilts, tournaments, or justyng, &c. (fn. 11) and after that, Buthills were cast up, for shooting with the cross-bow, &c.
(133) The Quakers Meeting-House,
A strong building of brick, with a large burial-ground joining to the east part of it, which was formerly part of Gilden-croft, in which are several headstones, and one altar tomb. The following inscriptions are to be read on some of them:
|John||died||1728, in his 1st.||Year.|
|Susanna||1734, in her 3d.|
|William||1735, in his 6th.|
O Man! who e'er thou art, view well thy State, And see thy self prepar'd, for mortal Fate, Thy Friend that's gone, was tender, loving, kind, A bright Example, of a peacefull Mind, Learn then, like him, to keep a contrite Heart, And then, like him, thou wilt in Peace depart.