An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 4, the History of the City and County of Norwich, Part II. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1806.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
CONISFORD GREAT WARD,
South Conisford Ward,
Which contains in the suburbs (of which I shall treat separately) that part of Trowse on this side of the river commonly called Trowse Milgate, from the water-mills there, and the priory and parish of St. James at Carrow; and within the walls the following parishes, viz.
In which the Southern-gate, as it was anciently called, and now,
(1) Conisford-gate, is situated; near which, on the west side, the river Wensum runs between two
(2) Towers, one of which stands on the east side of the river, and in that, the keeper of the old boom or beam, which went cross the river between these two towers, dwelt, that he might be at hand to admit such boats as he thought proper up the river: this boom being of a double use, to stop all persons from coming up the river that the city thought proper; and to hinder any boats going till the city toll was paid; a certificate of which was produced to the keeper, before he suffered their boats to pass.
Which was a parochial chapel before the Conquest, subject to the archdeacon of Norwich, paid 3d. synodals; but it was perpetually united to the rectory of St. Peter Southgate, in Edward the Third's time, and the ornaments of the chapel were carried thither, and the chapel itself was pulled down before 1345; and the yard seems to have been leased to the city, to augment their key which they then had, against the water-side, by the dissolved chapel of St. Olave. This parish was in Lower or Nether Conisford, as all those parishes on the east side of the street are; those on the west being in Over, or Upper Conisford; that next the gates is called,
Which is a rectory belonging to the abbey and convent of St. Benedict at Holm, and now to the Bishop of Norwich, in right of that house; it was anciently valued at 40s. taxed at half a mark, paid 6d. synodals, and 8d. ob. procurations, and a pound of incense to Holm abbey; which was released to the rector when the advowson came to the bishoprick; from which time there hath been usually 5l. per annum given by the Bishop to the serving minister here, as there now is; the voluntary contributions of the parishioners in Dr. Prideaux's time amounted to 5l. and it hath been augmented by lot, with 200l. of Queen Anne's bounty; so that the whole amounts to about 16l. per annum; it was valued in the King's books at 2l. 17s. 3d. ob. and being sworn of the clear yearly value of 2l. 3s. 1d. ob. it is discharged of first fruits and tenths; and hath service performed once in a fortnight.
(5) Here was anciently a rectory-house, which stood on the west side of the churchyard, in which Roger the rector dwelt in 1217; Simon Sonestrist owned half an acre of land extending from the north side of his parsonage yard to Hildebrond's spitel, which at his death, he settled to find a lamp burning for ever in this church, which continued to the Dissolution.
The parsonage-house was in ruins very early, and the site of it, which contained about a rood of land, was conveyed for an annual rent to the parishioners; after which, it was called the free land of the parish; and in 1654, was recovered from Richard Dowsing, by a commission of charitable uses.
The steeple of this church is square, and hath in it three bells, the nave and south porch are tiled, the chancel thatched; there is a north chapel, which is tiled, and was founded by Tho. Large, alderman, and dedicated to our Lady; in which, before the altar, he was interred in 1518, but his stone is robbed of its brasses, though his merchant-mark remains in a window there.
In a north chancel window are the effigies of Will. Basset the elder, and his wife, in blue habits, and a desk before them, on which a book, and this date, 1521, and an [M] to denote the name of Mary. He was buried in the aforesaid year, under this window, and gave 13s. 4d. to glaze it, and 3s. 4d. to repair the organs in this church, which stood between the church and chapel, on a beam of which Basset's merchantmark still remains.
The gild of St. Peter, commonly called the fishermen's gild, was held in this church, to which John Hoode, senior, fisherman, was a benefactor; in 1479, he was buried in the church, and ordered a marble to be laid over him, on which the inscription still remains;
In 1431, the window over the cleristories, that is, the seats in the wall on the south side of the altar, on which the clerks sat in stories, one higher than another, viz. the priest, deacon, and sub-deacon, was new glazed, and a new bell purchased.
At the chancel door lies a stone with the effigies of a priest on it, the inscription being lost; but it was laid over Roger Clerk, priest, who was buried in 1487, and gave 20s. towards a new mass book.
One good Peple of yowr lebing Cheryte pray ffor the Sowlls off Robt. Gant and Thomas Fawde and Cyssely, with their Goodis deed thys fount reedifey, In the honur of God, and owor blissid Ladi Seint Mari and Hooli Seint Peter owor Abome.
(6) On the west part of this church lie the hills called ButterHills, corruptly for Boteler's or Butler's hills, part of which were owned by John le Boteler, and after that by Hubert de Hoe, and Agnes his wife, Thomas the fellmonger and Isabell his wife, who gave it in free alms to the Prioress of Carrowe, there being then a windmill on that part of it which reached the city ditch, the walls being then not built; all which Sabrina Prat, for the souls of Sibraund her father and Maud her mother, confirmed to the Prioress and her convent, which owned the greater part of these hills, of the gift of King Stephen their founder, and always received the rent thereof, till the mayor and commonalty encroached upon them, and raised various suits about them, but were always overthrown: but at last, in 1521, the Prioress leased them for ever to the city, for 10s. per annum, with a clause of entry for non-payment. (fn. 1) The hills being thus abutted on the city walls south, Berstreet west, the close of John Girdeler north, the city land called the
(7) Lime-kiln ground (fn. 2) belonging to the city, the land of the church of St. Peter Southgate, the land of Holm abbey, of the Prioress of Carrowe and others, east; and soon after, the city leased it to alderman Grewe, at 26s. 8d. per annum. On the summit of these hills stands the
(8) Black-Tower, or Governour's-Tower, which commands the city and the river to a great distance; this was used in time of the plague for a pesthouse; (fn. 3) other houses being erected for that purpose on these hills, and such as died there were buried in this churchyard.
Whose church stood also on the west side of Conisford-street; its churchyard joined, on the south side, to the site of Hildebrond's hospital, and had a lane or passage leading from the street by the side of the hospital, to its churchyard; the east end of which extended level to the west end of St. Etheldred's churchyard; to the south-west corner of which, it reached within about 100 yards, there being three tenements with their yards, between the churchyard and the street, one of which paid a yearly rent of 21d. to the high altar in this church, the ruins of which are visible in Mr. Webber's garden.
It was at first a rectory in the donation of the Prioress of Carhowe, valued at 40s. and paid 3d. per annum synodals. In 1269, Robert, rector of St. Edward's, is mentioned, at whose death it was perpetually united to St. Julian's; and in 1305, Hugh de Creyte was instituted to the annexed churches of St. Edward and St. Julian, at the presentation of the Prioress of Carrow, and ever since they have been but one parish.
Joining to the west end of this church, was a chapel called Hildebrond's chapel, founded by Hildebrond the mercer, when he founded his adjoining hospital, for the use of that house; in this chapel there was daily service performed for the hospital; the Norwich Domesday tells us, that there was a missal, portifory, and vestment, with a chest to lay them in, belonging to it; after the Union, the hospital chaplain performed service in the church, and celebrated mass at such times only as he liked, in the chapel; and so the rector was discharged from the service of the church, and it became the hospital church, and as such continued to the Dissolution: it was in use in 1540. and when the hospital was dissolved, the church was ruinated, and the site of it passed with the site of the hospital, to the mayor and commonalty, of whom it is now held by lease.
Joining to the north side of this church was a cell, the ruins of which may now  be seen, in which a recluse continually dwelt, and most persons that died in the city left small legacies towards her support. In 1428, Lady Joan was anchoress here, to whom Walter Sedman left 20s. and 40d. to each of her servants. In 1458, Dame Anneys or Agnes Kyte was recluse here.
The advowson was joined and continued with St. Julian's, as doth that of St. Clement's in Conisford, and all the three, after their union, were valued at 3l. 6s. 3d. in the King's Books, paid 12d. synodals, and 10d. procurations.
(10) The Common Stathe, or Key, called the New Common Stathe, in Henry the Sixth's time was in this parish, belonged to the city, and was then let at 8l. 11s. 10d. per annum. I find it sometimes called Calvestathe: in Henry the Fourth's time, Richard Blackamore built a crane here, from whom it took the name of Blackamore's stathe; in Edward the Sixth's time, the city built a house and a new crane, and leased it out. In 1667, upon complaint that this house (being a publick-house) harboured dissolute persons, who put off from thence at unseasonable times, the mayor ordered that the boom near the stathe should be shut up at 10 at night in the summer, and nine in the winter; and should be opened at four in the morning in summer, and six in winter.
In 1660, there was a committee about the common-stathe lease, to consider whether Mr. Malby's gift to the city ought to take off any duties granted in the lease, and to examine of how long continuance a boom or a chain have been used to be crossed over the river above the common stathe.
The religious concerned here were,
The Abbot of Ramseye, who was taxed for his temporals at 5s.; the Abbot of Langele at 2s.; by deed without date, John, son of Nic. de Buthorp, gave to the abbot and canons at Langley 7s. yearly rent, issuing from divers lands and tenements; among which was a yearly rent of 31 pence and an halfpenny, and one penny to every free scutage, issuing out of 10 acres and an half of land in Bowthorp, which the recluse at St. Edward's held of him. On the south side of this churchyard was,
Founded by Hildebrond the mercer in Norwich, and Maud his wife, who gave the patronage of it to the Bishop, as appeared by an inquisition taken in 1274. It was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin; and as Norwich Domesday tells us, had a common-hall or large chamber over it for the master or custos; besides other buildings, both low and upper rooms, in which poor people wanting house-room were to be lodged, and have firing allowed them by the master.
The master had a chapel also dedicated to St. Mary, appropriated to his hospital, joining to the west end of St. Edward's church, as aforesaid. His mastership was valued at 5l. per annum, and the other revenues of the hospital at 14s. 2d. per annum. The masters were collated by the Bishop, and inducted by the official of the Bishop's manors, and it was compatible with any preferment.
1262, Nicholas, rector of Bernham; he granted under the common seal of the hospital, to Master Adam of St. Alban, a piece of land in St. Peter per Mountergate, to be held of the hospital at 40d. per annum.
Roger Malmesbury, resigned. In 1428, Will. Setman hath this clause in his will, that if the master of Ivyhall, late called the Hospital in Conysford, will observe and perform the ancient duty belonging to that hospital, then the ancient rents due to the hospital should be paid out of his two houses, otherwise not.
In 1244, Alice, widow of Simon of St. Leonard, citizen of Norwich, conveyed to Sibill her daughter, a messuage in Conisford, between the land of Hildebrond the mercer, and the land of her sister Katerine, the anchoress at St. Giles's, opposite to the hospital; this was purchased by Robert, rector of St. Edward's; and in 1267, sold by him to Maud le Waleys of Swerdeston, there being a rent of 3d. per annum payable out of it to the church of St. Edward, on St. Edward's day; which shows that the church was built alter the Confessor's time, to whom it was dedicated; this messuage after came to John, son of Simon the mercer, who seems to have been son of the founder, for he settled a rent of 8s. 6d. per annum out of it on the hospital.
The master always paid 4d. a year to the Prioress of Carrowe, for a free rent for the site of the hospital; which always received yearly a sum from the Bishop, and another from the city to be employed in works of charity; but they both were gifts only, and not fixed payments.
In 1459, Will. Grey, alderman, gave a sum of money to repair the beds in Ivyhalle (fn. 4) hospital, for the poor to lodge in.
Subtus inhumatur vir Reverendus JOHANNES PAUL A. M. Ecclesiæ Cathedialis Norvici Minor Canonicus, necnon Parochiarum S. Ægidij, et S. Gregorij infrà hancce Civitatem Pastor, verè dignus, verbi Dei fidus Concionator, Ecclesiæ Anglicanœ filius obsequentissimus, amicus perquam fidelis, pijs omnibus bonisque Charus, placidè in Domino obdormivit, Septembris die 28 A°. Dni: 1726, Æt. suæ 46.
Here lyeth buried the Bodye of that Blessed meeke Man William Ramsie, who beinge about the Age of Fowerscore Yeres, departed this Life in the Faith of his Savior Christ Jhesus, the xiith Day of October, A°. Dni: 1613.
Hic jacet Georgins Green Generosus, idemque dum vixit apprimè doctus, adeo ut ambigeres Jurisperitum, potius diceres
Medicum, an Theologum, sed nec humaniores literas minus
calluit: I Lector, et posse mori, dole hunc,
Here resteth the Bodie of William Johnson late Alderman of this Cittie, who had Issue, by Ann his last Wife, one Sonne and three Daughters, he departed this present Lyfe the tenth Daye of March, in the Hope of a joyful Resurrection, A°. Dni. 1611.
He is represented in his alderman's habit, kneeling at a desk; a book lies before him, his son on his knees holds a book behind him: opposite to him, is his wife kneeling, a book lies before her on a desk, behind her are her three daughters on their knees, the first holding a book, the two others a scull each, and on the wall between them are the city arms.
There are stones in the chancel below the rails, for Henry Pinckny and Eliz. his wife, she died 27 Sept. 1700, Æt. 86. Geo. Hall 21 June 1655. Joan his wife 8 Aug. 1666. Barbara wife of John Hall grocer, by whom she had 4 sons and 4 daughters, one is and 7 are not, she died April 4, 1674. John son of Geo. Hall, husband of Barbara 16 May, 1688. Eliz. Dr. of John Hall, 7 Nov. 1688.
There are stones for the following persons in the church,
Eliz. Dr. of Rob. and Eliz. Wasey 1687. Rob. their son 1684. Mary their Dr. 1668. Edw. Kettleburgh 1638. John Kettleburgh 1638, Æt. 35. Sam. Whetlock 1643. Rob. Whetlock 1644. Tho. Penton 1675. Daniel Curtis 1681. August. son of August. Curtis and Sarah his wife 1684. Hugh Curtis 1687. John Feake Brewer, 1638. Tho. Feake Brewer 1654. Debora his wife 1686; on this stone is carved a scull, and these words, sic tv. Mr. John Deye 1677, Æt. 80; on this stone, Hodie mihi, Cras tibi.
In 1459, Katerine, wife of Sir Simon Felbrigge, Knt. whose city house was in this parish, gave 16l. to a priest to sing for her here for three years; two marks to repair the church, a vestment and furniture, and two large curtains to draw before the high-altar, of gold tissue.
This was a rectory till 1272, in the gift of the prior and convent of Norwich, when the Bishop appropriated it to that convent, (fn. 5) to the office of the cellerer or keeper of the refectory there, to find the monks table cloths, napkins, glasses, spoons, and pots, for the refectory or common eating-hall of the convent; the whole being to be let by that officer, who was to serve the church by a stipendiary priest, as was always done to the Dissolution; from which time it continued in the dean and chapter, till the 10th of March, 4 Edward VI. and then they granted the church, churchyard, walls, bells, steeple, &c. to the mayor and citizens for 500 years at 4d. per annum rent, it being part of the revenues of their hospital of St. Giles in Norwich; from which time, the nomination of the serving minister is in the mayor and aldermen, who are obliged to pay him 5l. a year out of the hospital revenues, towards serving the cure, as the convent did when it belonged to them.
Before the Dissolution, the vicar of Trowse paid 10s. a year, for the parishioners of Trowse-Milgate, or that part of Trowse on this side of the river, all which came to this church and received the sacraments here.
Many lands, meadows, &c. lying in Trowse, Brakendale, Lakenham, and Carrow, are titheable to this church; together with part of Boteler's-hills, and other lands and gardens, within the walls, all which are exactly described in the VIth Register of the Cathedral, fo. 82.
There was very anciently an anchorage in this churchyard, which was rebuilt in 1305, where an anchor continually resided till the Reformation, when it was pulled down, and the grange or tithe barn at Brakendale was built with its timber.
In 1361, the minister had a chamber in the churchyard, which was rebuilt by Brother Roger Waltone, a monk, in 1412; and as I am informed, there is a house belonging to him, out of which, 20s. is to be paid yearly to the poor of the parish, to be distributed on St. John's day.
In 1260, Rob. de Hindringham, the last rector, was presented by the prior and convent, since which time it hath been a donative; so that the succession of its ministers does not occur; those I have met with follow.
The Prior of Norwich, the Prioress of Carrowe, the Dean of the chapel in the Fields, the Abbot of Wimondham, and the Abbot of Langley, all which had houses, lands, or rents in this parish; in which formerly many persons of distinction had their city houses; as
(14) Sir Thomas de Helgheton, Knt. whose house was called Gosehill-hall, which was confirmed to him and Alice his wife, by John de Helghelon, (or Hillington,) his eldest brother, rector of Wramplingham.
(15) The ancient seat of the family sirnamed Of Norwich, was in this parish, and in Henry the Third's time, was owned by Henry de Norwich; and in 1259, by Richard his son; whose son, Henry de Norwich, clerk, and Katerine his wife, sold it in 1282, to Henry de Heylesdon, citizen, and Agnes his wife, in trust, for William son of Thomas St. Omer, Knt. and Elizabeth, his wife, and Thomas, their son and heir; who, in 1337, sold it to the Lady Maud, widow of Sir Rob. de Thony, Knt. who sold it to James de Briseworth, otherwise called de Blickling; and in 1370, Will. de Blickling and Lettice his wife sold it to Lady Joan de Monteacuto or Montague; Nic. Ratcliff, Esq. lived in it in Henry the Sixth's time; in 1485, it was the city house of the Abbot of Wimondham, in right of his monastery; and after the Dissolution, belonged to Sir James Hobart, Knt.
(16) The capital messuage, commonly called the Musick-house, was anciently the great messuage of Moses the Jew, a man of great wealth and ability in the time of Will. Rufus; he left it to Abraham the Jew, his son; and he to Isaac the Jew, his son; from whom it was anciently called Isaac's-Hall; from him it became an escheat to King John, whose son Henry III. gave it to Sir William de Valeres, Knt.; it afterwards came to Ralf de Erlham, and by him was sold to Richard, son of Henry de Norwich, who in 1259, conveyed it to Will. de Dunwich. In 1290, it was owned by Alan de Frestone Archdeacon of Norfolk, at which time there was a chapel in the house; and in 1316, Sir Constantine de Mortimer, Knt. lived in it, whose chaplain, Clement de Suffolk, priest, was then suspended for marrying two servants of Sir Constantine's in it; and the chapel was put under interdict for the future, it being proved that it was detrimental to the church of St. Etheldred, in which parish it was situated.
In 1368, John de Catfield, rector of Stratton, was trustee to the Lady Eve de Audelee, and Sir James de Audelee, Knt. her son, for the place in St. Etheldred's and St. Clement's parishes in Conisford, called Isaac's-hall; it after belonged to Sir Will. Benhall, Knt. then to the Lady Kat. Felbrigge, widow of Sir Simon Felbrigge, Knt. then to Sir William Yelverton, Knt. and in 1474, was the city house of William Yelverton, Esq. by whom it was sold to Sir John Paston, Knt. who resided in it in 1488. In 1626, John Paston, Esq. owned it; and in 1633, it was the city house of the Lord Chief Justice Coke.
Opposite to the north side of St. Etheldred's churchyard, on the north side of Holgate-lane, stood the house of that valiant knight, Sir Robert de Salle, who was killed by the rebels in Edward the Third's time. (See Pt. I. p. 107.) After his death it belonged to his daughter, Alice de Salle, and was after called Baist's-place, from some owner of that name.
This church was one of the ancient ones before the Conquest; the advowson of it belonged to William de Wendling, in King John's time, whose son William gave it to the abbey of his own foundation at Wendling in Norfolk, with the houses by it, which he purchased in 1266, of Henry son of Ric de Witton; and the same year, he bought of the city, the key or stathe, now the old common-stathe, late John Teppay's; all which, Simon Abbot of Langley, at the request of Sir Jeffery de Lodnes, and for three shillings annual rent paid to his convent, confirmed to Sir William de Wendlyng and his heirs, who, in 1267, settled it with 10 acres of land in Wendlyng, in which the site of the abbey was built, and 3s. rent in Baldeswell, on the abbey of Premonstratensian canons, that he then founded in his manor of Wendlyng in Norfolk, by fine levied between himself and Nicholas, abbot there; Gilbert de Fraunsham, capital lord of the fee, being present in court, and consenting.
In 1303, Robert Abbot of Wendlyng leased out the stathe; in 1352, Thomas Abbot of Wendlyng leased out the whole to William de Middleton and Isabel his wife, for their lives; and in 1360, Roger de Hardegrey and Joan his wife, had been possessed of the advowson, &c. for some time, by lease for 100 years from the abbot, and by release from Middleton and his wife; in 1378, they assigned it to Hugh de Holland, (from whom it was called Holland's stathe,) who conveyed all his term in it to the city, in which Will. de Holland his brother joined; and in 1456, Edmund Abbot of Wendlyng, and the convent, released all their right in the advowson, stathe, and houses, to the city, for 100 marks, to be paid by 20 marks a year. And the advowson of the chapel of
(19) St. Anne, which stood by St. Anne's stathe, and had been demolished and united to St. Clement about 1370, was particularly conveyed along with it; and in 1458, it was made the common-stathe, and a crane and publick-houses were erected at the city's charge.
In 1472, the city requested the Prioress of Carrow to permit St. Clement to be perpetually united to their united rectories of St. Julian and St. Edward, and that the presentation might be alternate; but the Prioress would not consent to it; however, they were so intent upon it, that they gave up their right in the advowson; and in 1482, it was perpetually united to St. Julian, and the Prioress presented.
The rector of St. Julian always served this church by a parish chaplain of his own appointment, till 1549, in which year the city pretending it to be a free chapel, and consequently dissolvible by the late act, would have no service performed there, but seized upon the ornaments of the church; the old mass book of which was brought into the Gild-hall, to be laid up as a testimony of the right this church had to receive the tithes of 10 acres of arable land, lying between Nedham or St. Stephen's-gates, and Greenowmill-hill, the account of it being entered there.
In 1550, the city sold to Leonard Sotherton and John Rede, the bells, the lead of the north isle, and the whole steeple as low as the church roof, in which condition it now remains ; the whole being standing still, though converted to secular uses.
In 1559, the court resolved to sell the church and churchyard; and accordingly, at the assembly held on St. Matthias's day, the year following, they sealed a deed of it to Thomas Keteringham and his heirs for ever, since which time it hath continued a private property as it now remains.
1482, John Boor was instituted to the perpetual united rectories of St. Julian, St. Edward, and St. Clement of Conisford, with the chapel of St. Anne annexed, from which time it became part of St. Julian's parish, as it now remains. In 1508, the Mayor would have had it disunited from St. Julian's, and accordingly presented Dr. John Tacolneston, alias Browne, a monk of Norwich, who was instituted to it, and enjoyed it some time, but it was ever after presented to with St. Julian. In.
(20) Thorp's-Place, which was first the city house of Sir William de Roying or Rochyng, Knt. sheriff of Norfolk in 1284, after that, of Ralf de Rochyng, who sold it to Sir William de Thorp in 1290; it was afterwards John de Lek's, whose son, Master Laurence de Lek, sold it in 1331 to the Lady Margaret, widow of Sir Hubert de Multon, Knt. Lady of Surlingham, and Edmund, her son, rector of Warham St. Mary, and they conveyed it soon after to Will. de Bois of Surlingham, and in 1438, Will. de Surlyngham aforesaid, by will, gave it to Cicily his wife.
(21) The Priests Tenements, were so called, because the priest of St. Clement usually dwelt in them; Edmund Aggys, priest, vicar of Easton, owned them in 1470; and in 1548, they belonged to Sir Thomas Palmer, parish chaplain here.
Was founded before the Conquest, and was given to the nuns of Carhoe by King Stephen, their founder; it hath a round steeple and but
one bell; the north porch and nave are tiled, and the chancel is
thatched; at the west end by the font, is a brass plate for
John Lulman 1637, æt. 58. Michael Lulman Worsted Weaver 1614. James Son of Captain John Lulman 1680. Rob. Son of Robert Lulman 1660. Edward Son of Rob. and Anne Lulman 1675. James, Son of James and Anne Fremow Dr. of Robert Lulman 1711. Edw. Gay Gent. 1709. Mary Wife of John Brough Gent. Relict of Edw. Gay, Dr. of Capt. Rob. Lulman 1730, æt. 74. Anne Dr. of Edw. & Mary Gay 1694.
There are other stones for,
Thamasine Dr. of Ric. Cristen 1687. Edw. Hickes 1669. William Money 1723. Eliz. Wife of John Morley 16 -- Edw. Tomson 1669. another Edw. Tomson 1669. Math: Tomson 1677. Mrs. Ann Doily 1663. Mary Dr. of Will. Selth 1720. And within the altar rails lies Alderman Tho. Dunch 1715, æt. 66. and Henrietta-Maria Waldegrave his Grandaughter.
This rectory, when it was single, was taxed at half a mark, and the rector had a house belonging to it; after the first three were annexed, they were valued at 3l. 6s. 3d. in the King's books; Dr. Prideaux says, it had 7l. per annum certain endowment, and the arbitrary contributions were about 8l. per annum: it was sworn of the clear yearly value of 19l. 13s. 1d. and so is capable of augmentation. Here is service once a fortnight.
In 1323, Andrew de Acre settled 5s. a year out of a house in this parish, viz. 30d. to keep a torch burning before the holy-rood in this church, and 30d. for the like in St. Michael's church in Conisford.
Nic. son of John Page, and Christian his wife, was buried in the churchyard of St. Julian the King and Confessor, [which shows that it was not dedicated to St. Julian the Bishop, nor St. Julian the Virgin,] by the tomb of Kat. his wife, daughter and heiress of Will. de Lindesey, burgess of Lyn; he gave 200l. in clothing and victuals to the poor of Norwich and Lyn, legacies to Henry his brother, rector of Bixley, and to all the orders of friars.
In 1493, Eliz. Knowte, widow, was buried by her husband in the church, and gave 5l. to make a foot of silver gilt for the crucifix in the church, that was bought by her husbands, Tho. Ellys, and John Knowte, for St. Agnes's altar there.
In the east part of this churchyard stood an anchorage, in which an ankeress or recluse dwelt till the Dissolution, when the house was demolished, though the foundations may still be seen: in 1393, Lady Julian, the ankeress here, was a strict recluse, and had two servants to attend her in her old age, Ao. 1443. This woman, in those days, was esteemed one of the greatest holiness. The Rev. Mr. Francis Peck, author of the Antiquities of Stanford, had an old vellum MSS. 36 quarto pages of which, contained an account of the visions, &c. of this woman, which begins thus, "Here es a Vision schewed be the Goodenes of God, to a devoute Woman, and hir Name is Julian that is Recluse atte Norwyche, and yitt ys on Life, Anno Domini M. CCCC. XLII. In the whilke Vision er fulle many comfortabyll Wordes & greatly styrrande to alle they that desyres to be Crystes Looverse." In 1472, Dame Agnes was recluse here. In 1481, Dame Elizabeth Scott. In 1510, Lady Elizabeth. In 1524, Dame Agnes Edrygge.
Now because there were many of these anchorets and anchoresses in this city, and few know what they were, I shall observe, that they were a sort of monks, properly called anachorites, from [anachoreo], which signifies to retire, as they did, wholly out of the world: they were also termed recluses or incluses, from their being shut up in their cells or anchorages; of these there were two sorts, the eremite or hermit, so called from the [erimos] or wilderness, that he lived in, after the example of Elias, and John the Baptist; and the recluse or anchoress, who pretended to follow the example of Judith. The most perfect account I have seen of them, occurs in Becon's Reliques of Rome, fo. 312:
As touching the Monasticall Sect of Recluses, and such as be shutte up within Walles, there unto Death continuall to remayne, geving themselves to the Mortification of carnal Effectes, to the Contemplation of Heavenly and Spirituall Things, to Abstinence, to Praier, and to such other ghostly Erercises, as Men dead to the Worlde, and havying their Lyfe hidden with Christ: I have not to write: forasmuch as I can not hitherto fynde probably in any Au thor, whence the Profession of Anckers and Anckresses had the Beginning t Foundation, although in this Behalf I have talked with Men of that Profession, which could very little or nothing say in the matter. Norwithstanding as the White Fryers father that Order on the Propbet falsy) so likewise do the Ankers and Ankresses, make that holy and vertuous Matrone their Patronesse and Foundresse. But how unaptly, who seeth not? Their Profession and Religion diffreth as far from the maners of Judith, as Light from Darknesse, or God from the Devill, as it shall manefestly appere to them that will diligentlye conferre the History of Judith with their Life and Conversation. Judith made her selfe a privy Chamber where she dwelt (sayth the Scripture) being closed in with her Maydens. Our Recluses also close theym selves within the Walles, but they suffer no Man to be there with them. Judith ware a Smocke of heare: but our Recluses are both softly t finely apparaled. Judith fasted all the Dans of her Lyfe, few ercepted. Our Recluses eate and drinke at all Tymes of the beste, being of the number of them, Judith was a Woman of very good Report, Our Recluses are reported to be supersticious and idolatrous Persons, and such as all good Men flye their Company. Judith feared the Lord greatly, and lyved according to his Holy Word. Our Recluses fear the Pope, and gladly doe what his pleasure is to command them. Judith lyved of her own Substance and Goods putting no Man to Charge, Our Reclases as persons only borne to consume the good Fruites or the Erth, lyve idely of the Labour of other Mens Handes. Judith, when Tyme required, came out of her Closet to do good unto other. Our Recluses never come out of their Lobbeies, sincke or swimme the People. Judith put her Self in Jeopardy for to do good to the commune Countrey. Our Recluses are unprofitable Cloddes of the Earth, doing good to no Man. Who seeth not now, how farre our
Ankers and Ankresses differre from the Manners and Life of this vertuous and godly Woman Judith, so that they can not iustly claime her to be their Patronesse? Of some idle and supersticious Heremite, borowed they their idle and supersticious Religion. For who knoweth not, that our Recluses have Grates of Yron in theyr Spelunckes t Dennes, out of the which they looke, as Owles oute of an Yvye Todde, when they will vouchesafe to speake with any Man at whose Hand they hope for Aduantage? So reade me that John the Heremite so inclosed himself in his Heremitage, that not Person came in unto him, to them that came to visite him, he spake thorow a Windowe onely. Our Ankers and Ankresses professe nothing but a solitary Lyfe led in Contemplacion all the Days of their Lyfe, in their hallowed House wherein they are inclosed, wyth the Home of Obedience to the Pope, and to their ordinary Bishop. Their Apparell is indifferent, so it be dissonant from the Laity. No kynd of Meates they are forbidden to eat. At Midnight they are bound to say certain Praiers. Their Profession is counted to be among all other Professions so hardye t so streight, that they may by no means be suffred to come out of their Houses."
(23) The Friars of the order of our Lady, called Fratres de Domina, were a sort of begging friars, under the rule of St. Austin; they wore a white coat, and a black cloak thereon, with a black friar's cowl, and had their beginning about 1288, the order being devised by Philip, who got it confirmed by the Pope: they were introduced here very early, for in 1290, Rog. de Tubenham gave a legacy to the friars of St. Mary. Their house stood on the south side of this churchyard, and the east end abutted on the street. They continued here till Edward the Third's time, and then dying in the great pestilence, their house became afterwards a private property, and as such hath continued ever since.
(25) House for the Prioresses to come to when they pleased, on the land formerly given them by Rob. de Possewick, which about 1300, was sold by the convent for a rent of 6s. per annum, to Will. Virly, whose son Andrew jointly with Beatrix his wife, sold it to Sir John le Breton, Knt. lord of Sporle, who by will in'1310, gave it to Nicholas his son. In 1328, John de London, rector of S. Creyk, owned it, whose executors sold it to John de Holveston, of whom Lady Joan, widow of Sir Rob. de Inglose, Knt. purchased it, and gave it to be sold to find masses to be sung for her soul; and in 1568, John de Herling bought it of her executors, and sold it again to Mr. Tho. de Rickinghall, clerk. It was afterwards sold by John de Yelverton to Agnes Lady Bardolf, and Sir Miles Stapleton, her trustee; and was after called Bardolf's-Place.
(26) Gournay's-Place, from Ant. Gournay, owner of it, hath the arms of the Gournays, viz, arg. a cross ingrailed gul. still remaining in the parlour windows; as also Gournay impaling Calthorp, Malmains, Woodhouse of Waxham, &c.
In 1558, it was the city house of Thomas Gawdy, Esq. whose arms impaling Warner and Bassingbourn and his quarterings, may still be seen. It afterwards belonged to Will. Paston, Esq. and after to John Coke, Esq.
(29) Meddeyz-Inn took its name from Roger Midday, who in the beginning of Edward the Third's time, purchased it of the abbot and canons of Wouburn; whose son William, in 1335, sold it to Will. Clere of Ormesby, who rebuilt it, and made it the city house for that family; it after was owned by the Berfords, Briggs, and Elyses; and in 1544, James Marsham, grocer, gave it at his death to Cicily his wife, and John his son, and his heirs: in 1626, Nic. Elliet had it, and it after came to the Cooks; Thomas Cooke, Esq. being the present owner. It is now the sign of the three Merry Wherrymen, and the arms of Monthermer may still be seen in the windows there.