An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 5. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1806.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Manor was held of Roger Bigod, as of his manor of Forncet, by Alger, (fn. 1) at the time of Conquest, and another part of it belonged to Alan Earl of Richmond, (fn. 2) and was valued with his manor of Cossey. Little Moulton belonged also to the said Roger, and Alger held that also, of him; (fn. 3) it had then a church and 15 acres of glebe, and the King had two freemen here, named Gouta and Osketel, who had the inheritance that Ascius their father held of the abbey of Holm, to which the advowson belonged.
In William Rufus's time, the Earl of Norfolk infeoffed William de Verdon in it, along with Brisingham, as appears in vol. i. p. 49; and it attended that manor for many ages, being held by the Verdons; one half fee of it of the Norfolk family, and one 5th part of a fee of the honour of Bainard's castle, which was purchased of Ralf de Camois, and added to the manor. It after went with Brisingham, till Isabell, daughter and heiress of Sir John Verdon, by Isabell his second wife, married
John Rivet of Brandeston, Esq. in which year it was found, that the superiour lordship over the commons, &c. belonged to the manor of Forncet. It continued in this family (as appears by the institutions) till after 1689; and in 1717,
Rectors of Moulton-Magna.
1516, Ric. Drake, LL. B. ob. (fn. 4) united to Gryston. Leonard Spencer of Blofield.
The church is dedicated to St. Michael, was first valued at 10, after at 12 marks; the rector had a house and 20 acres of glebe; it paid 6s. 8d. procurations, 1s. 10d. synodals, 10d. Peter-pence, and 3d. ob. carvage. The portion of the monks of Thetford was valued at 6s. 8d. and in 1612, was paid to Aslacton manor in right of Thetford priory.
There was a chapel of our Lady in this church, and an altar dedicated to her also in it, by which stood her image, with a light burning before it. In 1504, Walter Taylor gave a legacy for a new bell, and in 1674, a license passed to lessen the great bell. It stands in the King's Books at 6l. 13s. 4d. and being sworn of the clear yearly value of 30l. it is discharged of first fruits and tenths, and is capable of augmentation; and the whole parish paid 5l. clear to every tenth. In 1239, lands here and in Herdwick were settled on William prior of the Holy Trinity at Ipswich, by Richard de Mundham and Eve his wife, William Weybred and Beatrix his wife, Walter de Thorp and Eda his wife, and R. Fuger and Christian his wife; and the Prior of the monks of Thetford was taxed for divers temporal rents here, belonging to their estate in Aslacton, at 13s. 5d.
The steeple is round at bottom and octangular at top, and hath five bells; the south porch, south and north isles, and nave, are leaded, and the chancel, is tiled; the arms of Verdon, Vice de Lou, and Noon, were very often in the windows, and az. a bend arg. and arg. a fess gul.
Thomas son of Tho. Wickham (fn. 5) Gent. Apr. 5, 1661. Tho. Wickham Gent. the Elder, Dec. 16, 1688, 66. Mary wife of Tho. Wickham 23 May, 1706, 80. Will. their son, Aug. 5, 1706, 45.
John Moulton born here, a White-friar or Carmelite in Norwich monastery, flourished about the year 1400; Pits, page 568, tells us, that he was a pious, learned, and eloquent man, and an excellent preacher: he published a book of 90 sermons.