An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 5. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1806.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
The name of this town shows its original to have been the burgh or fortification on the river Taus or Tees; (fn. 1) and according to Dr. Gale in his Commentary on Antoninus his Itinerary, (fn. 2) tells us, this river was called Taü, and that the station ad Taüm, mentioned in the Pentingerian Tables, was here; and indeed the parish church stands in the fortification, the dimensions of which are still very visible; and an advantageous situation it was, to guard the pass of the river, leading to Castre: being on the very summit of a high hill, which surveys the adjacent country, and hangs over the river, which turned eastward by it, and made a commodious sinus or bay for such vessels as came up hither; and though for many years this stream hath declined through neglect, it would be an easy matter to make it navigable for lighters and such sort of vessels, up to this village, which would be an advantageous thing to all the neighbouring country; this good project hath been twice attempted, and as often miscarried, rather through want of conduct and a proper application, than ability of the undertakers.
The entrenchment or burgh here is square, and contains about 24 acres; it seems to be that encampment of the Romans, which by the Chorographical Table published by Mark Velser, is called Ad Taum. This place hath given name to the ancient family of the Taseburghs, who being lords of the town, had anciently their seat there; but after their removal hence, had their chief seat (and that a very pleasant one) just out of the county, on the bank of the river Waveney, which parts this county from Suffolk, not far from the abbey of Falixtown, commonly called Flixton, in Suffolk: The house is a grand ancient building, and fronts the road from Bungeye or Harleston. (Atlas Norf. p. 333.)
The church is dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin, who had her gild here; the steeple is round and hath four bells in it; (fn. 3) there is a north porch; the nave is leaded, and the chancel tiled. (fn. 4)
Here under lieth the Body of Dorothy late wife of John Burman Doctor of Law, and Daughter of Anthony Drury of Besthorp Esq; by Anne his Wife, she died 14 July 1642, leaving issue, John, Anne, and Dorothy, whose pious Example, God give them Grace to follow.
Here lieth Elizabeth late wife of James Tirrel of the Inner Temple, Esq; one of the Daughters of John Burman Doctor of the Civil Law, by Dorothy his wife, the Daughter of Anthony Drury of Besthorp Esq; she died in Child-Bed April 4, 1638, leaving no issue behind her, æt. 21.
On a tomb against the south chancel wall, (fn. 5)
Vir quo nec probitas Probior, nec Justior Ipsa Justitia, Antiquæ et Archetypus Fidei, Thomas Newce jacet hìc, Titulus Generosus avitis, Delicium Populi, dulce Decus Patriæ; Conditur hoc etiam Tumulo lectissima conjux, Margareta, (fn. 6) Viro, par Genere, et Genio, Fœlices ambo pariter vixêre, et utrumque Et Charum, et clarum Vita beata dedit, Mortis iniqua Manus sejunxit Corpore Costam, (4to, Feb. Anno. Dom. 1629, Ætatis 68.) Adjunctum Costæ Latus est, Urnâque in eadem; (24 Novembris Ao Dni. 1632, Ætatis 69.)
1586, Will. Temple. John (fn. 7) and William Matchet this turn, by grant from James Bigot. In 1603, he returned answer, that he had 120 communicants, and that Tho. Baxter, Esq. was patron.
1679, Edw. Bosworth, res. (fn. 8) Edmund Bedingfield, Esq.
1735, William Bentham. (fn. 9) Thomas Warkehouse, Esq. this turn. At his death,
When Norwich Domesday was wrote, the prior of Bromholm was patron, and the rector had a house and 10 acres of glebe; it was valued at 12, after at 14 marks, and paid 2s. synodals, 10d. Peterpence, (fn. 10) and 4d. carvage. The Prior of Thetford monks had revenues here of the gift of William Bigod, (as at vol. ii. p. 109,) viz. temporals taxed at 40s. 2d. a year, and spirituals, viz. the tithes of his demeans and divers other lands held of him, valued to the tenths at 40s. a year, and afterwards compounded for at 16s. 8d. a year, reduced after to 13s. a year, which in 1612, was paid to the lord of Aslacton priory manor, in right of Thetford priory.
The Manor of Uphall, or Boyland's
In Taseburgh, was the capital manor, and belonged to Bishop Osbern in the time of the Confessor, and was held by Tarolf, a freeman of Bishop Stigand, at the Conqueror's survey, and then it extended into Forncet; at the first survey it was worth 20s. per annum, and 30s. at the last. All Taseburgh was a mile and quarter long, and 7 furlongs broad, and paid 9d. geld. (fn. 11) The successours of this Tarolf, were Richard and Mathew his son, and Ralf, who lived in 1199, and afterwards assumed the name of Taseburgh about 1239.
In 1247, Ralf son of Ralf de Taseburgh, was lord, and had infangenthef, or liberty to try all theft committed by his tenants, in his own court baron and lete here, and to execute them and take their forfeited goods. In 1256, he was dead, for then Robert de Gissing granted to William Esturmi, the custody and marriage of Roger son and heir of Ralf de Taseburgh, and William assigned them to Oliva widow of the said Ralf, and if Roger died before he came of age, then she was to have the custody of Christian and Richolda his sisters; and in 1280, this Roger had sold it to
Ric. de Boyland and Maud his wife, who in 1284 had the lete, paying 6d. yearly to the King, by the bailiff of the hundred; assise of bread and ale, a ducking-stool, pillory, and common gallows; and in 1289, William de Nerford and Petronel his wife, and their heirs, had their free way and passage, under Sir Richard de Boyland's court-yard in Taseburgh, between his said court-yard and his chapel of St. Michael, (fn. 12) to the aldercar of the said William and Petronel; in 1295, it belonged to Sir Ric. de Boyland, and Elen his second wife, (fn. 13) and was then sold to
Henry son of Henry de la Sale and Sibil his wife, when it contained 10 messuages, 140 acres of land, 24 of meadow, 10 of pasture, 8 of wood, 2 of marsh, and 6l. 2s. 3d. ob. rent, in Taseburgh, Newton-Flotman, Saxlingham, Wackton, and Hemenhale. It after came to
Ralf de Bumpsted, citizen of Norwich, and then to Thomas his son, (fn. 14) who in 1385 conveyed it to Bartholomew de Appleyerd, Tho. Spynk, and Will. de Eton, citizens of Norwich; and in 1400, Nichola son of William Brooke, late citizen of Norwich, released it to William Rees, Esq. and Tho. Spynk of Norwich. In 1444, it was settled on Thomas Bumpstede, senior, and Ivetta his wife, with remainder to William Bumpstede; in 1445, by the name of Thomas Bumpstede, senior, Esq. he made his will, and was buried in the collegiate church of St. Mary in the Fields in Norwich, by the tomb of Margaret his mother; (fn. 15) Ivetta his wife, and Thomas Crofts, Esq. were executors; he gave Taseburgh manor, with the watermill thereto belonging, to his wife for life; which manor and mill lately belonged to Richard Bodendale, citizen and merchant of Coventry, and Nic. son of William Brooke, late citizen of Norwich, and after her death Thomas his son was to have it. In 1507, a fine was levied between John Jenour and Robert Bray, querents, and John Wiseman and Isabel his wife, deforciants, of the moiety of this manor, which in 1539 was sold by Thomas Wiseman, to
Sir Ric. Gresham, who the year before had purchased the other moiety of John Branch and others, who bought it of Edward Taseburgh and Rose his wife. In 1547, Paul Gresham, Gent. settled it by fine on Thomas Gresham, Gent. and before 1570, it was sold to William Fernley or Farlowe of Cretyng in Suffolk, and by him to Sir Thomay Gawdy of Claxton, (fn. 16) who died seized, and left it to Henry Gawdy, Esq. his son, who sold it according to an agreement made before his father's death, with the manor of Hunts in Taseburgh, (fn. 17) to Gascoign Weld, who left it to Joseph Weld his son, (fn. 18) serjeant at law, whose two daughters, Elizabeth and Mary, inherited; Elizabeth married to Richard Rutter (fn. 19) of Kingsley in Cheshire; and Mary to William Starkey, clerk, whose daughter Mary inherited the whole, and carried it to her husband,
Belonged at the Confessor's survey to Almar, who held it of Bishop Stigand, and at the Conqueror's, Roger de Ebrois held it William de Schoies, and Richard de Hadesco held it about King John's time, of the honour of Clare, at the 8th part of a fee; (fn. 20) and in 1235, John Wythe and Roger de Brom had it; in 1266, King Henry III. granted liberty of free-warren to Thomas Rosceline, then lord, by purchase from Ric. le Chamberlain of Hadesco; and in 1270, the said Thomas sold it to Roger son of Walter de Hales; in 1289, Will. de Nerford and Lady Petronel his wife, had it; and in 1315, I find it belonged to Dunmowe priory in Essex, at the dissolution of which, it came to the Crown, and being granted from it, in the 12th of Queen Elizabeth it belonged to Sir Thomas Gresham, Knt. lord mayor of London, and by him was joined to the manor of Uphall, with which it now remains.
The honour of Richmond extends hither, two parcels belonged to Alan, lord of that honour, the one was valued with his manor of Costesey, (fn. 21) and the other belonged to the manor of Swaffham, and in 1632, Mathew Weld, Gent. was obliged by process, to pay 2l. 10s. to the King as his forfeiture, for not paying his Majesty an annual rent of 2d. ob. called war-pound (fn. 22) rent, due to his honour of Richmond.
There was a serjeanty held under Roger Bigot at the survey, by Berard and Asceline, (fn. 23) and afterwards by the Earl-Marshal, who was found to hold it of Richmond honour; an account of which you have before at p. 204.
Was held of Roger de Ramis by William, at the survey, and and after him by Jeff. de Rainesthorp, at one fee in 1156; and it is now divided, and in that part in Taseburgh, he was succeeded by John de Rainesthorp, and he by William de Raines, or Reymes; in 1200, Robert de Reymesthorp and Sibil his wife, (fn. 24) had it; she was his widow in 1229; in 1244, Richard de Reymes was lord, and it continued in this family a long time; in 1307, John de Reynesthorp had it, and in 1342, he and Agnes his wife, were living; it after belonged to Will. de Rees, and from that time passed as at p. 66.
In 1550, Anne Chapman held it of Forncet at half a fee; and Thomas was her son and heir, and in 1570, Dudley Chapman his brother had it, and in 1579, sold it to Sir Tho. Cornwaleis, Knt. and William his son and heir; Tho. Baxter had it about 1600; he built the house called Ranthorp-hall, in the windows of which are the following arms:
Robert, vert, (fn. 25) a lion rampant or, vulned in the shoulder, impaling Kerdeston.
Baxter and Bludworth quartered, impaled with Bowyer, 1. arg. a lion rampant between three cross croslets fitché gul. 2, az. three shovels arg. shod or. 3, az. two bars and two plates in chief arg. 4th as 1st.
Tho. Baxter, Esq. sold it to Tho. Newce, Esq. of Hodsdon in Hertfordshire, Stephen Bowyer and Thomas Heyward, Esqrs. being trustees; at his death it went to his only daughter, married to Morgan Jenkyn, whose only son, Newce Jenkyn, sold it to Mr. Ric, Carter, senior, attorney at law in Norwich, and his son Richard had it, whose widow sold it as at p. 67. (fn. 26)