An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 5. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1806.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Deans of Redenhale,
Rectors of Redenhale.
1311, William de Neuport, priest, was presented by Thomas de Brotherton Earl of Norfolk. He lies buried in the chancel under a stone robbed of an effigies in brass in his proper habit; the brasses of the circumscription are picked out, but the remaining impression shows that they were ancient capitals; much may be read now, from which, and a copy taken long since, I have made out this:
This advowson fell to the share of Margaret, one of the daughters and heiresses of Thomas de Brotherton Earl of Norfolk, and was settled by the King's license and the Pope's bull, on the prioress and nuns at Bungeye, and was afterwards confirmed by Alice her sister, and Sir Edw. de Montacute, or Montague, her husband; (fn. 1) and in 1349, it was appropriated by the Bishop, to pay 10s. to each nun, towards finding her clothes (fn. 2) The Bishop had a pension of 3 marks and a halt, and the new erected vicarage was taxed at 13 marks. The Bishop of Norwich and his successours for ever, were to nominate a vicar every vacancy, and the prioress was obliged to present him. The rectory-house, which was very large, and moated in, with a great portal at the entrance, was then parted, and the south half assigned to the vicar, who was to have the manor and rents of assise, 4 acres by the house, and 30 acres of the demeans of the church; being all that, on the south side of the bek; and also to have right of commonage on all the commons in Redenhall, with the alterage, &c. and a vicar was nominated by the Bishop.
1430, Master Tho. Ingham, S. T. B. In 1441, at the complaint of this vicar, the church was disappropriated, and became a rectory again, on condition, that the rector should pay a yearly pension of 40s. to the Prioress; (fn. 3) which is still paid to the Duke of Norfolk, in right of Bungeye priory, by the rector; (fn. 4) and that the Bishop should for ever nominate to the Prioress, and if she did not immediately pre sent the person so nominated, the Bishop might then collate him in his own right. (fn. 5)
Rectors of Redenhall,
1500, Ric. Stokes, (fn. 6) bachelor in decrees, had it; he resigned in
1548, to Sir Ric. Wheatly chaplain to the Bishop, who was nomiminated by Sir John Godsalve, Knt. to whom the Bishop had granted the nomination of this turn; he was deprived of this and Alburgh, by Queen Mary, for being a married man, and no favourer of the mass; and the Duke of Norfolk presented
Thomas, (fn. 7) who resigned in
1597, Ric. Moorre, M. B. and S. T. B. was nominated by the Bishop to the Queen; he held it united to Alburgh, and returned answer that there were 600 communicants in this parish. In 1628, upon the consecration of Bishop White, Archbishop Abbot chose the next nomination for his option; and in
1629, Peter de Lawne, S. T. P. (fn. 8) was nominated in that right.
William Tanner. A. M. (fn. 11) to the said Lord, and he held it with Topcroft to his death, when
So that being not discharged of first fruits and tenths, it is incapable of augmentation. It was valued in the old taxation at 35 marks; Norwich Domesday says, that the Archdeacon (Jakendensis) was patron; that the rector had a house and carucate of land, that it was after valued at 40 marks, and paid 12d. ob. Peter-pence, 2s. synodals, 5s. Bishop's procurations, and 7s. 7d. ob. Archdeacon's procurations. The religious concerned here, were, the Prioress of Carrowe, whose temporals were taxed at 6s. 8d. the Prior of Mendham at 36s. 9d. ob. the Prior of Weybrede for meadows at 23s. 6d. the Abbot of Langley at 8s. 6d. In 1390, Roger de Bois, Knt. and others, aliened divers tenements in Harleston, to the Abbess of Brusyerd. Hamon de Peccatum, or Pecche, (fn. 12) gave 10s. yearly in rents in Herolfstone to Bury abbey; Geffry Pecche 20s. and Gilbert Pecche other rents. In 1307, Stephen de Brockdish and Reginald his son, held 8 acres of the Prior of the Holy Trinity at Ipswich, by 6d. per annum rent. In 1236, the rector took toll of all that passed through part of his churchyard. (fn. 13) This town paid clear to every tenth, 11l. 13s. 4d.
The church is dedicated in honour of the Assumption of the blessed Virgin Mary, and is a good regular building; having its north porch, nave, and two isles, leaded, and chancel tiled. It was rebuilt of freestone, by Thomas of Brotherton Earl of Norfolk; and the chancel by Will. Neuport, rector: but the noble square tower which is very large and lofty, is of a much later foundation, it being a long time from its beginning to its finishing; it hath neat baulements, and four freestone spires on its top, and is the finest tower of any country parish church in the whole county. It was begun about 1460, and was carried on as the legacies and benefactions came in. John de la Pole, lord of Wingfield Castle, who was buried at Wingfield in 1491, was a principal benefactor. Joan Bunning gave 3l. 6s. 8d. in 1469.
In 1492, Thomas Bacon gave a legacy; in 1511, John Bacon; and it was finished about 1520, by Master Ric. Shelton, then rector; and on the south-east spire, there is an escallop shel and a tun, carved on the stone. as a rebus or device for his name; Sir John Shelton, Knt. was also a contributor to the work. In 1616, it was split from top to bottom by a tempest, (fn. 14) so as to be obliged to be anchored up as it now remains; though it was done so effectually, that it is scarce any damage to its beauty or strength: there was this carved on the northwest spire,
The arms of Brotherton and Mowbray, and the rose, the badge of Brotherton, and the leopard's face, the badge of De la Pole, are often on the stones. On the west doors are carved a hammer and horseshoe, and a shoe and pincers, as rebusses for the names of Smith and Hammersmith, probably the donors of them. Here are 8 melodious bells, on three of which, are these verses:
The church is new seated throughout, and kept as neat and decent, as I have any where seen. In the east chancel window, De la Pole quarters Wingfield in the garter. Erpingham in a garter. Brandon quartering Bourchier in a garter. In the south window gul. an eagle displayed or; and Brewse.
In 1504, Thomas Pyers of Harleston gave 20 marks to make the funte new. The roode or principal image of our Saviour on the cross, which stood on the rood-loft between the chancel, was a remarkable one in those days; in 1506, Agnes Stanforth of Wortwale, hath this in her will, "Item, my marrying Ring to the Goode Roode of Redenhale."
In 1464, Ric. Totyl or Tuthill was buried in the church; and in 1469, John Baker in the nave; and Joan widow of Robert Bunning, by the north door, and was a benefactrix to the steeple, church, and Harleston chapel; to all which she left legacies.
This John Bacon of Harlestone, made his will in 1511, and ordered a priest to sing in the chapel of St. John in Harleston, for him and his wife; and made Richard his son, his heir to his estate here; and John his son had his estate in Lopham, paying legacies to Catherine, Margaret, Rose, and Jone, his daughters. His son Richard died about 1540, leaving Thomas, Robert, and John his sons, and two daughters, Anne, and Elizabeth.
In the north chapel, which belongs to Gawdy-hall, are buried several of the families to which that manor belonged; it seems to have been founded by the Brewses, for anciently the Gawdies buried in the middle alley, where on a stone under the portraitures of a man and a woman, was this,
In 1573, John Witham buried here, gave a good legacy to the steeple. (fn. 15)
Here lieth the Body of Mrs. Penelope D'oyly, Wife of the Rev. Mr. James Doyly, who died the 8th. of Oct. 1721. Reader! if thou hast any Curiosity to enquire after her Character, know, that she once possessed a Nature, Friendly, Liberal, and Generous: She was Religious without Superstition, & Virtuous without the Formalities of it: Her Mind was easie in it's Self, and form'd to make others happy: She had all the Family Vertues in Perfection, not a Sentiment of her Soul, but what was turn'd for the Pleasure or Advantage of her Husband, the tenderest of Mothers, and the best of Mistresses; In a Word, she filled up every Part of Life, with Decency and good Manners, and when God who gave it her, commanded her to resign, she did it tho' upon the shortest Warning, with such a Firmness of Mind, as shew'd, she was neither ashamed to live, nor afraid to die: This Testimony of his own Love and her Merit, He thought fit to give, who knew her best, & would in every Action of her Life, do Justice to her Memory.
Three Temples of the Holy Ghost, Ruin'd by Death, ly here as lost, St. John's fell first, St. Anne's next Year, Then St. Elizabeth fell here; Yet a few Dayes, and thes againe Christ will re-build and in them reigne.
The following memorials are in the nave, in which stands a fine large brass eagle; the roof over the rood loft is painted, and the twelve Apostles are on the screens; and there is a gallery at the west end.
In piam Memoriam Tobiæ Frere Armigeri, vidua Ipsi superstes, Domina Susanna Frere, unà cum Filio Tobia, Monumentum hoc Amoris et Officij insigne Statui curaverunt, obijt autem 66um annum agens. Febr. 6°. Anno Dni. 1655.
In piam Memoriam Johannis Dove Synceri Ecclesiæ Anglicanœ Filij, Mariti optimi, Parentis indulgentissimi, Bonorum omnium Amoris et de Charitate in Pauperes optimè Meriti, obijt Martij 26, A. D. 1690, æt. 46.
The church is situate near the midst of the parish, so that it might be equal to the tenants of the several manors, being equidistant also from its two principal hamlets of Harleston and Wortwale, near a mile from each.
Redenhal takes its name from Rada the Dane, who was lord in the time of Edward the Confessor, and held it of Edric, the antecessor of Robert Malet, lord of the honour of Eye. It was then 3l. per annum, but rose to 8l. value, and was a mile and half long, and half a mile and three perches broad, and paid 10d. to the Dane geld. It extended into Alburgh and Starston; in the former, there were 15 freemen, and 9 in the latter, and 20 in this town; whose rents were 4l. per annum, but they were after separated from this manor, and added to Earl Ralf's hundred of Earsham: Ivo Tallebois, after the Earl's forfeiture, got them for some time; but being restored, they have continued ever since with the hundred. (fn. 16) Bishop William claimed 20 acres as held of him by a freeman; and Agneli held 80 acres: a freeman of Edric's had a part of the town, which the falconer to the Earl afterwards held, and his manor called Hawker's, (fn. 17) was free from all services to the capital hall or manor, and afterwards held of the King under Godric: as for the freemen and superiour jurisdiction of the whole town, they all belonged to Bishop Stigand, by him were forfeited to the King, who committed the care of them to William de Noiers, and they have ever since passed with the hundred.
There are now only two lords here; Redenhall cum Harleston, the lete, hundred court, market, fairs, tolls, free-warren, and all superiour jurisdiction of the whole town, belong to his Grace the Duke of Norfolk, and have passed with the Earls and Dukes of Norfolk, along with Forncet manor; to which I refer you.
This Henry was son of Walter, son of that Agneli, who held 80 acres here at the Conqueror's survey; in 1196, being a rebel to King Richard I. that King seized all his lands, and granted them for 200 marks, to Ralf de Lenham, saving to Mabel de Agnis, her dower, and to Peter de Leonibus his goods, and corn sown on the land; and in 1199, Walter himself confirmed the grant. In 1200, Roger de Lenham owned one moiety, and Henry de Agnells, son of Walter, settled it on him by fine; in 1211, Petronel his widow, settled it for her life, on Roger Butvant; at her death, Roger de Lenham her son had it, whose widow Joan, in 1225, had her dower assigned, and remarried to Reginald de Argentein. In 1247, Sir Nic. de Lenham was lord, and in 1256, had a charter for free-warren here, and at Terling in Essex; upon which, Roger le Bigot Earl of Norfolk, lord of the hundred, and superiour lord of the fee of the whole town, sued him, and seized on this manor, because he had leased it for 16 years to the Queen, whose attorneys the Earl ejected. The manor being held of him by 5l. yearly rent, and other services; and though the lease was made to the Queen, it was in effect the same, as if it had been to the King; so that no distress could be taken, but upon the King's granting him letters patent, that the lease should not be to the disherison of him or his heirs, but that he might distrain for the rents and services, the Earl confirmed it. In 1257, this Nicholas, and Isolda de Lenham his wife, sold all his possessions here to Peter de Subaudia or Savoy, who the same year settled them on Ingeram de Feynes and Isabel his wife, with nine score pounds per annum in Netlested, Ketleburgh, &c. and in 1258, they reconveyed them to Peter, with 250 marks, land, and the advowson of Geyton, Thorp, &c.
In 1261, Henry III. says, that his beloved uncle, Master Peter de Savoy, surrendered into his hands, to the use of Prince Edward his eldest son, the manors of Redenhall, Wisete, Ketleburgh, Nettlestede, and Wyke, by Ipswich in Suffolk; with the fees of 4l. 13s. 4d. rent in Ipswich, and the King confirmed them to the Prince and his heirs, and so to the Kings of England for ever; but the Prince granted it with his father's consent, to Nic. de Yatingdon, and Alice de Bathonia his wife, and their heirs, to be held by the service of two fees. Bartholomew de Yatingdon, his brother, inherited, who in 1280, settled his moiety on Master Henry de Branteston and Beatrice his wife, with remainder to Hugh de Branteston and Margaret his wife, and their heirs; and in 1284, John de Agneus sued them as heir of that family, but did not recover it.
The other moiety continued in the Argentein family, though in 1206, William de Curcun gave 20 marks to King John to have it: in 1281, Giles de Argentein held here and in Thirning, four fees of Richmond honour; his grandfather Richard having married Joan, widow of Roger de Lenham; and this Giles conveyed it to Master Henry de Branteston, who had the whole manor and moiety of the advowson, and this part was held of the honour of Richmond. (fn. 18) In 1298, Hugh de Branteston, brother of Henry, died seized, and left it to Margaret, daughter and heiress of Bartholomew de Yatingdon, his widow, who held one moiety of the Earl of Norfolk, and the other of the Earl of Richmond; and in 1300, Henry de Branteston and Margery his wife had it, who was a widow this year. Osbert de Clinton, lord here in 1317, and Joan his wife, conveyed it from Joan and her heirs, (who I suppose was a Branteston,) to Thomas de Brotherton Earl of Norfolk, Marshal of England, and his heirs; who in 1325, jointly with Alice his wife, settled it on Will. de Neuport, rector here, and Richard de Bursted, rector of Stonham, as trustees for the heirs of Alice; and Alice, one of her daughters and coheirs, married to Sir Edw. de Monteacute, or Montague, who owned it in 1344, and mortgaged it to John de Coloigne and Thomas de Holbech, merchants of London, by the King's patent and license; and in 1360, Edward son of Edward Montague, and Alice his wife, one of the daughters and heiresses of Thomas de Brotherton Earl of Norfolk, held it; and Etheldred his sister was found his heir by one inquisition, and Joan the wife of William de Ufford Earl of Suffolk, daughter and one of the heiresses of the said Edward and Alice, by another; but she did not inherit it; for in 1365, at the death of Edward, son and heir of Edward Montague, Etheldred his sister had it; and in 1390, she was married to Hugh de Strauley, Knt. and John was their son and heir: the capital messuage or hall, had 384 acres of land, 8 acres of meadow, 8 of pasture, 62 acres of wood and a water-mill belonging to it; and in 1414, Sir John son of Sir Hugh was lord; it after belonged to William de la Pole Earl of Suffolk, and lord of Wingfield castle, and in 1485, Will. Catesbie owned it, who was attainted in 1 H. VII. and that King granted it to Sir William Norreys, Knt. and his heirs male. In 1558, it was granted to Tipper and Dawe, and soon after belonged to the Gawdies, and so it came joined to
The Manor of Holebrook, or Gawdy-Hall,
Which was held of the honour of Richmond at half a fee; this anciently belonged to the Turbeviles of Devonshire, and Henry de Turbevile was lord in 1223; it took its name from the situation of the manor-house, being in a hole by the brook side; the hills adjoining still retain the name of Holebrook-Hills, and are on the left hand of the road leading from Harleston to Yarmouth, near to Wortwale dove, but this was pulled down by the Gawdies, when the house called Gawdy-hall was built, in which John Wogan, Esq. the present lord, now dwells.
In 1226, Ralf, and in 1230, Walter de Turbevile were lords; this Walter served King Henry III. with three knights, for one whole year, to Poictou, to be released of 150 marks due to that King. In 1259, Roger de Thirkelby, one of the justices itinerants, lords here, was dead, and left Simon Abbot of Langley, and Hugh Bigod, his executors; and this manor, and houses in Castre in Norfolk, to Walter de Thirkelby, his brother and heir. In 1313, Robert Tendevile of Harleston, and Julian his wife, seem to have it; and probably it continued in this family a whole century, for in 1414, Richard Tyndale of Dean in Northamptonshire, son and heir of John Tyndale, owned it; (fn. 19) and William was his brother and heir; which Will. in 1420, settled it in trust on Henry Bishop of Winchester, Sir Lewes Robesart, and others; and it continued in the family till 1542, and then Tho. Tyndale and Osbert Mundeford, Esqrs. conveyed it to Robert Bacon of Specteshall, Esq. (fn. 20) and in 1551, the title was completed: in 1570, his son and heir, Edward Bacon, Esq. had it, and sold it to Thomas Gawdy, Esq. and so it became joined to
The Manor of Coldham-Hall,
Which was held of the Earls of Norfolk, and to which the moiety of the advowson belonged, till sold from it. In 1239, Warine de Redenhall, lord of it, impleaded Roger Bigot Earl of Norfolk, to permit him to enjoy certain liberties belonging to this manor, which he held of him. In 1303, Simon de Coldham of Redenhall, and Emma his wife, (from whom it took its present name,) sold the moiety of the advowson which belonged to it, and the manor (except an hundred shillings, land, and some rents, afterwards called Merks manor,) to Sir William de Burgis, Knt. and his heirs; and in 1309, the said William, and Master Thomas de Burgis, sold the moiety of the advowson to Thomas de Brotherton Earl of Norfolk, (patron of the other moiety,) and the manor to John de Riveshale, or Rushall, and his heirs. It afterwards belonged to the De la Poles, and continued in the Earls of Suffolk, till the attainder of Charles Duke of Suffolk; and in 1551, was granted by Philip and Mary, to Edward Lord North; and afterwards it was purchased by the Gawdies.
In 1510, John Gawdie of Harleston was buried in Redenhall church, and gave his estate to Thomas Gawdye the younger. In 1523, Tho. Gawdy of Wortwell, Gent. obtained a manumission of all his lands in Mendham, Metfield, and Withersdale, held of the manors of Metfield priory and Kingshall, of Simon Prior of Mendham. In 1545, Thomas Gawdy of Redenhall, senior, was buried, leaving Agnes his wife, James Marsham of Norwich, merchant, and John Calle of Bale, his executors. In 1556, Thomas Gawdy, junior, Esq. of Harleston, was buried in Redenhall church by his first wife, and Elizabeth his relict was buried by him in 1563; he left Thomas and Francis, and three daughters, Eliz. Southall, Margaret Aldrich, and Catherine. In 1570, Thomas their eldest son purchased Weybrede manor of William Calthorp, Esq. and in 1582, he sold this manor to Sir Tho. Gawdye, Knt. and he settled it on William Brend, trustee to Eliz. daughter of Helwise his first wife, and her heirs: he married Frances, his second wife, and was one of the King's judges, but dying in 1588, was buried here, being seized of Claxton, Hillington, Rockland, Poringland, &c. leaving
Henry Gawdy, Esq. his son and heir, then 26 years of age; and in 1615, Sir Henry and Clipesby Gawdy, Knts. were lords. In 1633, Sir Tho. Gawdie, Knt.; and it was mortgaged by Charles Gawdie, Esq. to Tobias Frere, who afterwards purchased it; in 1654, he was one of the justices of peace for Norfolk, a sequestrator, and member in parliament, and was buried here in 1655, leaving Susanna his widow, and Tobias his son and heir; his widow (as I am informed) married John Wogan, Esq. who was lord here in 1688, and now John Wogan, Esq. (fn. 21) is lord of all the aforesaid manors, which are now joined with
The Manor of Merks,
Which was part of Coldham-hall manor, that continued in the Redenhall family as aforesaid, and was sold to John de Marleburgh, of whom John de Redenhall purchased it in 1313, and held it of the Earl of Norfolk at the 8th part of a fee; in 1344, Henry de Redenhall and Margaret his wife conveyed great part of it to Thomas son of Peter del Brok, and others, with remainder to their heirs; and in 1358, Robert de Redenhall, rector of Eike in Suffolk had it; it came after that, to James Ormond Earl of Wilts, and at his attainder, to the Crown; and was granted by Edward IV. with the manors of Moreffes in Waldingfield, and those of Overhall and Silvesters in Bures in Suffolk, to Sir Tho. Waldegrave; and passing through divers hands, in the year 1551, it was purchased by Rob. Bacon, and joined as aforesaid.
First belonged to Edric, of whom it was held in the Confessor's time by one of his freemen, when it was worth 20s. per annum. After the Conquest, Ralf Gaader or Wayet Earl of Norfolk, had it, and gave it to be held free of his capital manor, to Roger his hawker or falconer; who held it free from all service but that of falconer, when the King had the capital manor by Earl Ralf's forfeiture, and when Godric, to whom he had intrusted the care of it, claimed services of him, he appealed to the King (of whom he held it freely) as his protector, and was discharged accordingly; and from this tenure, the manor and lords also, took their names. The record called Testa de Nevil tells us, that Warine le Ostricer, or hawker, son of the said Roger, held it by the grand serjeanty of keeping a goshawk for the King's use, and carrying it every year to the King at his Majesty's cost. (fn. 22) This Warine added much to the manor, by purchase from Maud de Beauchamp in 1239, and was succeeded by Robert his son; (fn. 23) and he in 1285, by Peter le Ostricer or Hawkere, his son and heir; whose tenure was found to be grand serjeanty, being obliged to keep a goshawk from Michaelmas to lent, and to mute it, and carry it to the King, of whom he was to receive 10l. per annum for so doing: he died seized in 1337, leaving it to Robert le Hawker, his son, and Alice his wife; he died in 1373, leaving Richard his son under age, who had livery of his estate in 1380, when the manor-house had 144 acres of demean, and the manor was found to extend into Alburgh, and other adjacent towns; he was succeeded by John his son and heir, and he by Richard, whose son Rog died about 1436; and soon after it passed to Robert Clifton, cousin to Sir John Clifton of Bukenham castle; for in 1447, Sir John willed, that Robert his cousin should have his manors of Topcroft and Denton, on condition he made an estate to Sir John's executors, of his manors of Hawkere's and Shelly, which the said Robert had, in exchange for the manors of Topcroft and Denton; (fn. 24) and from that time it passed with Topcroft and Denton, all which, in 1481, Thomas Brewse, in right of Elizabeth his wife, had assigned to him as parcel of the lands of Robert de Clifton; and it continued with the said manors (to which I refer you) till 1621, and in that year, John Brewse, Gent. sold his manor of Hawker's cum Shacklock's, to Tobias Frere, Esq. and his heir; and in 1627, John Brewse and Tobias Frere, conveyed it to Sir Clipesby Gawdy, Knt. and Mary his wife, and their heirs; and so it became joined to the other manors.
Was, soon after the Conquest, in a family called Peccatum or Pecche: in 1196, Gilbert Pecche, a benefactor to Bury abbey, held two fees of that house in Wortwell, Harleston, and Drenkeston in Suffolk. The next owner that I find, was in 1298, when it belonged to William Carliol and Agnes his wife; and in 1299, to Richard Carliol; in 1345, Richard Carliol, Henry, and John his brothers, were returned lords, and the manor then extended into Alburgh: this family lived in the manor-house for several descents. In 1401, Richard Carliol held it at the fourth part of a fee, as parcel of the barony of Tateshale. In 1428, Robert Warner was lord; in which family it continued till 1546, when John, third son to Brian Holland of Wortwell, married Anne, daughter and heiress of Robert Warner of Wingfield, with whom he had this manor; this John came and settled at Wortwell-hall, and purchased the greatest part (if not the whole) of the copyhold; and it hath continued in his family to this day, it being now owned by Isabella-Diana and Charlotte Holland, sole heiresses of Sir William Holland, Bart. deceased; the account and pedigree of which family may be seen at large in vol. i. p. 344.