An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 5. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1806.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Was in the hands of Ancholf, and others, in the Confessor's days, and of Tovi (fn. 1) and Godric the Sewer, in the Conqueror; (fn. 2) when it was half a mile long, and five furlongs broad, and paid xi.d. geld. It came immediately to the Norfolk family, and attended it constantly till Queen Elizabeth's time, and then the manor was sold by Thomas Duke of Norfolk, to Sir Thomas Gresham, and became joined to Mulbarton, though the demeans were sold again by Sir Thomas in 1570, to Mr. Turner, in which family they still continue.
The Rectors of Keningham
Had a house and 50 acres of land; the rectory was valued first at six, and after at nine marks; it paid 20d. synodals, 6s. 8d procurations, 12d. Peter-pence, and 3d. carvage. The church was demolished totally long before the Reformation, and the churchyard became glebe to Mulbarton, and hath been since exchanged, and is now owned by Mr. Turner of Kenningham; it stood south-east of Mulbarton-green about half a mile.
1309, Roger Baste of Hasketone; the King; he changed for Bromeswell in
1320, with John de Thorpmarket. Tho. de Brotherton Earl of Norfolk, and Earl-Marshal.
1349, Will. de Strixton. Sir John de Segrave, Knt.
1352, Rob. Drille, lapse.
1361, Adam Golle. Walter Lord Manny; he was succeeded by Thomas de Ickworth, who resigned in
1398, to Rich. Osteler of Taseburgh. Mary Dutchess and Countess of Norfolk.
1422, J. Glysse, lapse. He resigned in exchange for Gimmingham to Robert Stratton, the same year. John Earl Marshal.
1423, Richard Wilby, lapse.
1426, Richard Howes of Tibenham, lapse.
1433, Thomas Bradfield. Ditto.
1446, Will. Steynware, or Steynour, lapse. He resigned, being old and lame, and in 1452, it was perpetually united to Mulbarton, with which it hath remained ever since, the parish being totally in Mulbarton, there being not above two or three houses in the bounds of the the old parish of Kenningham.
In 1315, the Prior of Thetford had divers small rents taxed at 5s. 1d. And there was a free-tenement owned by a family sirnamed from that place, purchased first from the manor by Will. de Shotesham, who gave it to Ralf his son, who assumed the name of Kyningham, on his settling here in Henry the Third's time. In 1299, William de Kiningham and Alice his wife lived here, and he was returned as having a manor or free-tenement, in 1315; and in 1393, brother John Kiningham was the 21st provincial of the Carmelites or Whitefriars in England. (fn. 3) He is mentioned in Fox's Martyrology, fo. 437, 39, as one of those that sat at the trials or examinations of Nic. Herford, Phil. Repyndon, and John Ayshton, bachelors in divinity; Bale, (p. 158,) indeed mistakes, and calls him a Suffolk man, which came from his first being educated among the Carmelites at Ipswich; he was after that D. D. of Oxford, a modest, temperate, prudent, and learned divine, so much beloved by John Duke of Lancaster, that he made him his chaplain, and confessor to himself and lady; he was author of many books, an account of which may be seen in Pitts's English Writers, at page 565: he died at York and was buried there in 1399, in the 6th year of his provincialship.