An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 5. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1806.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Molke, Mykil, Muche, or Great-Barton, was owned by
Ordinc, a thane of the Confessor's, and by Roger Bigot and Ralf
de Beaufoe in the Conqueror's time, when it was six furlongs long,
and five broad, and paid 6d. geld, and had a church and 15 acres of
glebe, then worth two shillings. (fn. 1) Hubert de Rhye was lord here in the
latter end of the Conqueror's time, and about 1184, gave it to the
monks of Christ church in Canterbury; and in King Stephen's time
they exchanged it with Henry his son, for the advowson and manor
of Depham; (fn. 2) and accordingly it was held of the barony of Rhye, as
of the manor of Hingham; (fn. 3) it after came to Robert Fitz-Roger, and
then to the St. Omers, who held it of him; Will. de Sancto Audomaro,
Omero, or St. Omer, was the first lord of that name, (fn. 4) and lived in
the time of Henry III. and was succeeded by Thomas his son, who
married Petronilla, daughter and coheir of Tho. Malmains, widow of
Ralf de Tony; and in 1267, he held the hundred of Grimeshoe and
Saham manor, during her life; (fn. 5) in 1275 he was justice itinerant in
Cambridgeshire, and had a charter of free-warren and a fair here,
confirmed, which was first granted to William his father, with freewarren and a fair at Brundale, by King Henry III. in the 38th year
of his reign, 1253. (fn. 6) In 1285, upon the quo-warranto brought for every
manor in the county, to set forth and prove their several liberties, this
Thomas claimed view of frankpledge, assize of bread and ale, and all
things belonging to a lete, and had it allowed; (fn. 7) he also claimed
liberty of infangenthef, and accordingly erected a gallows here: and
this year, one Walter Godwyne of Carleton, taken in this manor, and
convicted of felony by Nic. de Monuer of Carleton, in this court sufficiently proved, was condemned and hanged; but it appearing that
this Thomas de St. Omer was the first that erected a gallows here, and
that without the King's grant, or the manor having the liberty; it was
ordered that he should be disseized of such liberty, and the gallows
pulled down. This Thomas, at his death, settled sufficient revenues
out of his lands here, on the pittancer of Norwich cathedral, to keep
his anniversary for ever, and to treat the convent on that day. (fn. 9) He
left two daughters his heiresses; Elizabeth, (fn. 10) married Thomas Waryn,
and they levied a fine, and thereby released all right in the manors of
Mulbarton, Keteringham, and Brundale, in Norfolk, to Sir Will. de
Hoo, Knt. and Alice his wife, half sister to the said Elizabeth; but
the advowson of the town continued in Sir William de St. Omer, Knt.
till his death, and after in Elizabeth his relict, till her death, and then
the whole centered in the Hoo family, and Sir William de Hoo first
presented here in 1367. He it was that built the present church and
tower, in the chancel of which he and his lady were interred; (fn. 11) he
adorned the windows with the portraits of himself and lady, and her
family and their arms; and till lately, one of the north windows had
in it, the pictures of Sir Thomas de St. Omer on his knees in armour,
with his sword by his side, and his arms on his surcoat, and his lady
in the same posture behind him, with the arms of St. Omer and Malmains; and his daughter Alice behind them; and opposite was Sir
Will. Hoo and the said Alice his wife, in the same posture; over the
former were the arms of Malmains, gul. three sinister hands (fn. 12) cooped
arg.; over the latter were St. Omer's arms, az. a fess between six
croslets or; and at the top of the window, were the arms of Hoe,
quarterly arg. and sab.; and at the bottom this,
Preiz pour lez almez Monsieur Thomas Sentomeris t Dame Perinelle sa Femme.
This Sir William was a great warriour and a man of figure in his time, serving in the French wars many years, being one of the favourites of John Earl of Somerset, governour of the garrison at Calice, under whom he served; he died in the year 1410, (fn. 13) aged 76, and was succeeded by Thomas, his son and heir, who in 1417 levied a fine to settle the manor and advowson on himself and heirs; in 1434, he presented by the name of Thomas Hoo, Esq. but he was soon after knighted; in 1436, he was sent to suppress the rebellion about Caux in Normandy, where he conquered the rebels and wasted their country; in 1445, he was elected knight of the garter; employed again in the French wars, where he merited so well, that he was created a baron of the realm by the title of Lord Hoo and Hastings, and was summoned to parliament accordingly; he was also keeper of the seals in France, and afterwards chancellor there; he had three wives, Elizabeth, daughter and heir to Thomas Felton, Knt. by whom he had one son, Thomas, who died before him; the second was Elizabeth, daughter and heir to Nic. Wichingham, by whom he had only one daughter, Anne, the third was Eleanor, daughter to Leo Lord Wells, sister and coheir to Richard Lord Wells, her brother; by whom he had three daughters; but upon this last match, this manor was settled on Tho. de Hoo, Esq. (fn. 14) his brother and heir. This Lord's will is dated Feb. 12, 1454, by which he settled 20 marks per annum on Battle abbey, for two monks to sing perpetually for him and his ancestors, at St. Bennet's altar in their church: Thomas de Hoo, Esq. (fn. 15) settled this manor and advowson on Anne, only daughter of the Lord Hoo, by Eliz. Wichingham, on her marriage to Sir Jeffery Boleyn, Knt. sometime lord mayor of London, who died seized, as did Anne his widow. (fn. 16) Sir William Boleyn, Knt. of Blickling succeeded, and by his will dated in 1505, he entailed it on Thomas his son, who enjoyed it after him; he was Earl of Wilts, Ormond, and Rochford: and in the year 1535 sold it to John Gresham, and it was inherited by Sir Richard, and then by Sir Thomas Gresham, Knt. who was lord in 1575; and in 1579, William Gresham of London, Esq. had it, who mortgaged it to Francis Cuddon, Gent. (fn. 17) who came and dwelt here; and in 1599, the said William and Francis joined, and sold it to Sir Edwin Rich, Knt. who was descended from Richard Rich of the Middle Temple, Esq. chirographer of the court of Common Pleas, reader of that society, and lord high chancellor of England, in the time of Henry VIII. and Edward VI. (fn. 18) At the north-west part of the church, on the north wall, is a monument for this Sir Edwin, with the arms of Rich at the top, viz. gul. a chevron between three croslets botany or. Crest, on a wreath a mount vert, on which, a wyvern with his wings elevated arg.
Sir Edwin Rich was knighted at Cadiz voyage; (fn. 19) he purchased this manor of Will. Gresham, Esq. in the 42d year of Queen Elizabeth; was patron of the church, he died and was buried at Hartlepoole. Robert Rich, his eldest son, (fn. 20) died in the year 1651, and was buried in the church of Swerdeston, but his bones were since removed hither by Edwin Rich, his brother, who erected this monument for him, and caused a vault to be made, as a dormitory for the family; and here resteth the bones of Sir Edwin Rich, Knt. son of Sir Edwin Rich, who died 16th of Nov. 1675,
He married Jane, daughter of Esquire Reeve, relict of Sir John Suckling, Knt. comptroller of the household to James I. and Car. I. and left no issue, upon which, this manor, with that of Rosehall in Beccles in Suffolk, went to
Charles Rich, Esq. his brother, who was advanced to the dignity of a baronet 27 Car. II. with remainder, for want of issue male, to Rob. Rich of Stondon in Essex, Esq. 2d son of Colonel Nathaniel Rich of Stondon, by Elizabeth his wife, daughter of Sir Edmund Hampden, Knt.; Sir Charles married Eliz. Cholmondley, who survived him, and after remarried to Mr. Berners of St. Mary's; he died in 1677, and is buried at Enfield in Middlesex, leaving only two daughters, Eliz. married to Peter Cevill, a French gentleman, who had this manor; and Mary to Sir Robert Rich, who had Rosehall in Beccles. (fn. 23) Peter Cevill, Esq. had issue by the said Eliz. Cevill Rich, alias Rich Cevill, Charles Rich Cevil, &c. by whom the manor and advowson was sold to
The church is a rectory, and stands thus in the King's Books, Milbarton, alias Mulbarton cum Kenningham, 14l. It pays first fruits, and 1l. 8s. yearly tenths. The synodals for Mulbarton were 3s. 4d. (fn. 24) for Kenningham 2s. 4d. and the procurations 3s. 6d. at each primary visitation, and 6s. 3d. archdeacon's procurations; originally, the rector had a house and 40 acres, but now, there is a good house, and 86 acres and two roods of land, thereto belonging, in right of this and Keningham; the first valuation of Mulbarton was 10 marks, and the 2d 14; it paid 1s. Peter-pence, and 3d. ob. carvage, and 2l. to every tenth. The temporals of the Prior of Alvesborne, were taxed at 6s. 3d. ob. and the Prior of St. Faith had two pieces of land here, containing eight acres, called Little Freeland Wood, which he settled on the rector for ever, for an annual pension of 2s. and the convent confirmed it in 1441, and in 1581, this pension of 2s. was granted by Queen Elizabeth to Edm. Frost and John Walker.
Rectors of the church of St. Mary Magdalen at Mulbarton.
1451, Robert Saunders had it of the gift of Sir Tho. de Hoo, Knt. Lord Hoo and Hastings, and had it united to Keningham for life, and the year following, it was consolidated to it and hath remained so to this day.
Rectors of Mulbarton (fn. 25) cum Keningham.
Sir Ric. Torkington, who in 1517, began his pilgrimage to Jerusalem, March 20, which he performed, and took an exact account of his journey; his manuscript was lately in the possession of James Wright. (fn. 26)
1616, Anthony Frere, A. M. Ric. Frere, senior, and Ric. Frere, junior. He is interred in the chancel, under a stone having the arms of Frere and Hartstonge, per chevron ingrailed or and sab. in chief three pellets, in base a stag at gaze of the first.
Here resteth the Body of Mr. Anthony Frere, late Rector of this Parish; he was inducted into this benefice May 4, 1616, and buried Dec. 27, A. D. 1660, on his left side lieth the Body of Elizabeth his Wife, the Daughter of Henry Hartstonge, Gent. she died Jan. 30, 1653.
Here lies the Body of the most religious Mrs. Sarah Scargill, the Wife of Mr. Daniel Scargill, Rector of this Parish, with whom she lived in all conjugal Vertues near 7 years, and then Death divorced them upon the 22d Day of Aug. 1680, in the 30th Year of her Age. She was the Pious Daughter of a Loyal Gent. Mr. Tho. le Neve of Aslacton, Cozen to Sir Will. le Neve, who was Herauld to King Charles the first, of Blessed Memory: She was a Person of unimitable Devotion, of a most nice and tender Conscience, of sweet Behaviour, and in all Things so faithfull a Servant of God, that I dare contest the Divine Goodness to have rewarded her. Happy Soul, whose Body rests Here! and may it rest! by no profane Hand disturbed, 'till her Soul shall take it up again, at the Great Day of Restitution.
Dear Love! one feather'd Minute, and I come, To lye down in thy dark retiring Room, And mingle Dust with thine, that we may have, As when alive, one Bed, so dead, one Grave, And may my Soule teare through the vaulted Sky, To be with Thine, to all Eternity.
Oh! how our Bloodless Forms will that Day greet, With Love Divine, when we again shall meet, Devest of all contagion of the Flesh, Full fill'd with ever lasting Joys, and fresh, In Heaven above, (and't may be) cast an Eye, How far Elyzium doth beneath us lye.
Spe Beatæ Resurrectionis gratissimâ, infràdormit GEORGIUS GAY A. M. Pastor hujus Ecclesiæ Fidus, assiduus, plus, Quique ut jucunda captet Evangelij præmia, Gregi suo in Obedientiam naviter proposita, placidus Leti corripuit Gradum, at non prius morti succubuit, quam privatis suis Sumptibus, et magnis, Rectoris Domicilium de Fundamentis ædificasset, Quicunque hæc legas, ruentis Domicilij infelix Dominus, Fac, sis, in animo teneas laudabilem hanc Pietatem, et imiteris, obijt 17 Sept. A æt. 44°. Æræ Xiane 1728°, Dextrum huic claudit Latus, Elizabetha Uxor charissima, Filia Bovilli Wimberly apud Lincolnienses Generosi quæ obiji Octavo Aug. Anno. Æræ Xianæ 1729°, æt 46.
In memoriam Johannis Phillips hujus parochiæ per decem annos Rectoris pacifici, placidi, et Socialis, Ingenij Vir, omnibus Urbanus erat; nihil superbiæ habuit, nihil Arogantiæ; Pastor fidelis, cui serio curæ fuit Benevolentiam Gregis sibi conciliari, et conciliavit; Vitæ meridiem vix attingens, Febricitatus obijt Ao Sal. 1737, æt. 39, Amicis et notis multum diùque Lugendus. In Honorem ejus, Horreum insigne in usum Rectoris proprijs sumptibus ædificavit. Hoc monumentum memoriæ dilecti Fratris Franciscus Phillips, D. D. D.
Annos sex denos Elisa Ego Carria Virgo, THOMÆ nupta CRANO, tredecem Menses numeravi, Bisque dies denos gavisa, Puerpera obivi Virginitatem Anni, Menses Consortia, Matrem Mensurare Dies (Heu! Declinatio Vitæ In breviora fugax) immensurabili Restat.
Hodie! mihi, Cras tibi. Noah Headly Oct. 12, 1670. Jane his wife Nov. 24, 1665, buried in the altar. In the church there is a stone for, Martha wife of Christopher Athow, Apr. 3, 1655, and an acheivement of gul. a chevron between three cross croslets or, impaling arg. on a fess sab. between three escallops az. as many eagles displayed or.