An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 6. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1807.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
The Berewic or hamlet that belonged to this manor, which was always called Pagrave, had in the Confessor's time 13 villeins and one carucate, when Godric received it, and one carucate among the tenants, &c. and was half a mile long and five furlongs broad, and paid its gelt or tax with Sporle, to which it always belonged, as it now doth; (fn. 1) it being always part of that parish, it never had any church or place of publick worship belonging to it, that I have met with, but its mother-church of Sporle; but soon after the Conquest, part of it was separated, and became the village called Little-Pagrave, of which hereafter.
The Manor of East-Hall in Great-Pagrave
Consisted of that land which Edric held in the Confessor's time; and at the survey was held by Ribald, of Alan Earl of Richmond, to which there belonged 6 borders, a carucate and a half valued at 10s. (fn. 2)
William le Lirling held this in the 37th of Henry III. (fn. 3) free warren being then granted him in his domain lands here, and in Lirling, Rushworth, &c.; and in the 9th of Edward II. William de Easthall was lord. In 1430 William Wotten of Great Pagrave conveyed it to Osbert Mundeford of Hockwold, Adam Mundeford of Feltwelle, Master Andrew Leverington, vicar of Matesale, Margaret, wife of the said Wotten, Edmund Thweyt of Rowdham, Wm. Thweyt of Norwich, and John Baxter of Swaffham; and they sold it in the reign of King Henry VI. to Simon Blake, Gent. of Swaffham. In 1478, John Cocket, Esq. was lord of East Hall; (fn. 4) and Edmund Cocket, Esq. in 1529, soon after it was possessed by Sir John Audley of Swaffham, Knt.; and by the marriage of Anne, daughter and heir of Phillip Audley, Esq. to Christopher Paston, Esq. of Oxnead in Norfolk, was brought into that family, and from them was conveyed to Thetford, &c. and joined to Sporle manor.
Woodhall in Pagrave Magna and Parva
In the Register of Castleacre, mention is made of this manor about the reign of Henry II. and of Richard de Woodhall, who gave a rent of 4d. to John son of Thoric de Pagrave, and William de Wodehall was witness to a deed about the same time. (fn. 5) In the 24th of Henry III. Fresentia de Bovile was found to hold the fourth part of a fee of John de Briton, and he of Fitz-Alan Earl of Arundel, and the heir of Alexander de Goldland, a quarter of a fee of Sir John Harsick, and he of the aforesaid Earl, who held in capite; in the 9th of Edward II. John de Pomfret was returned lord of it; and in 1349 John Haket and Alice his wife grant to Thomas Haket, and William Haket, parson of Upmosden, their manor of Wodehall in Pagrave-Magna and Parva, witnesses, William and Gilbert de Fransham, William de Esthall, Roger Petigard, &c.; and in the 30th of Edward III. Henry Burgess, and Robert Chappe, junior, held here the fourth part of a fee of Thomas de Batisford, he of the Earl of Arundel, which Fresentia de Bovil formerly held. (fn. 6) But in the 3d of Henry IV. Thomas de Wotton held of Walter Clerk the 4th part of a fee; and the heirs of John Dobbs held also a fourth part, late Chapp's; (fn. 7) and in 1416, a fine was levied between William Westacre, archdeacon of Norfolk, querent, and Edmund Massingham and Margaret his wife, defendants, of a moiety of this manor, paying 4l. per annum to Margaret during life; and in 1427, a fine was levied between William Yelverton, and Thomas Styward, querents, Thomas Staunton and Maud his wife, defendants, of this manor, which was conveyed to William and Thomas; (fn. 8) and soon after it was possessed by Judge Paston; and in 1444, William Waynfleet, provost of Eaton College, granted to John Paston, Edmund Paston, &c. all the goods and chattels, rents and profits of the lands, tenements, &c. which belonged to him and that college here, on account of an outlawry against John Halman and Henry Halman of Sporle; and in 1451, Henry Halman granted the same to John Paston, Esq. who died seized of this lordship, in the 6th of Edward IV. After this it passed from the Pastons, as is observed in the manor of Sporle. In the year 1655, I find it consisted of 123 acres of pasture enclosed; 175 of arable, a sheepwalk for 400 ewes, and half an 100 for the shepherd, and 24 acres in Sporle-Field.