An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 6. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1807.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Or Hobbies Parva, is in the liberty of the dutchy of Lancaster; it is called Haut Bois, in French, The High Wood, and the ancient family which took their name from hence, is sirnamed in Latin records, de alto Bosco, and indeed it should seem to be denominated from the high woods by the water, which answers the situation and name. (fn. 1)
The manors of Buxton, Lammas, and Scothowe extended hither, to which last, the manor of Holm abbey in this town was joined by the abbot. (fn. 2) In Henry the Third's time, Peter son of Sir Peter de Alto Bosco, or Hautbois, lord of Hautbois-Parva, gave to Robert, abbot of St. Bennet, all his fishery in the town of Little Hautbois, from the house of Henry Bell to Little Hautbois mill, and the common fishery thence to Buxton bounds; (fn. 3) this manor continued joined to the Abbot of Holm's manor of Scotow; in 1401 that abbot was found to hold his manor here, as parcel of his barony, and it had been in that monastery ever since the Confessor's time, and so went with it to the see of Norwich, and is now leased by the Bishop with Scothow.
There was another manor here in the family of Hautbois, to which the advowson belonged, which in 1315 belonged to Ralf de Colney, and Lawrence de Reppes, (fn. 4) afterwards John de Wilby had it, and then Richard de Reppes. In 1368, John Armory, and in 1380, John de Bures, and now the advowson went in moieties, in Bures and Truyt, and in 1402, John son and heir of John de Bures, and Alice his wife, releaesd all right to John Rookwood and others, and he and Walter Truyt sold the advowson, and after that it became consolidated to Lammas, this manor, by divers alienations, became very small, and at last was joined to Great-Hautbois, with which it now remains.
The Church was dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin, and there was a gild of St. Katherine kept in it; the church was in use in 1531, but is now totally dilapidated; (fn. 5) it stood by the road side, about a fur long on the left hand, after you have passed Mayton bridge from Fretenham; it was not very small, the ruins are covered with earth, but are very easy to be traced; (fn. 6) it was valued at 4 marks, paid 2s. procurations to the archdeacon, 4d. synodals to the Bishop, and 3d. Peter-pence; it had 2 acres of glebe in Fretenham, and 7 acres and 20 perches in Little-Hobbies, belonged to it. In 1428, the Abbot of Holm's manor and demeans were valued at 8l. 15s. 11d. qr. a year, and the village paid 1l. clear to every tenth; it is valued to the land tax and county rate with Lammas.