An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 6. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1807.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Was owned by Herold (afterwards King of England) in the Confessor's time, and by Bishop Herfast, and after, by William Beaufoe Bishop of Thetford, at the Conqueror's survey; one part of it was in the King's own hands, (fn. 1) and so had the other been, after Herold's death, and therefore the whole always enjoyed the privileges of ancient demean, (fn. 2) and was exempt from the hundred, and had the lete, and all royalties belonging to it.
The Conqueror gave it to Bp. Herfast, and after to William the Bishop, (fn. 3) in fee and inheritance; and he settled the whole town and advowson on the see; it was risen from 6 pounds to 8 pounds value, and was a mile long, and as much broad, and paid 4 pence halfpenny geld or tax, towards every 20s. raised on the hundred; at the Confessor's survey, this, and Marsham were appendant to Cawston manor; but at the conquest, Iteringham, Marsam, Straton, Berningham, and East Beckham, had berewics appendant to this, which was confirmed to the see of Norwich by King Henry I. when Bishop Herbert fixed the see there, to be held in chief of the King at one knight's fee.
It being an agreeable distance from Norwich, the Bishops held the demeans in their own hands, and had a palace, or country seat, with a fine park adjoining to it; and it appears from the Institution Books, by much business transacted, that many of the Bishops often resided here; the liberties of lete or view of frankpledge, assize of bread and ale, a gallows, tumbrell or cucking-stool, and free warren, were allowed to this manor, in several iters, by the King's itinerant justices or judges; and this manor and advowson appendant continued in the see till 1533, (fn. 4) and on the exchange then made, came into the hands of King Henry VIII. who separated the advowson from the manor, which he granted to Sir John Clere, Knt. who in 1546 held it of the Crown in captite, and joined it to, and it hath passed ever since with,
The Manor of Dagworth in Blickling,
John Fitz Robert, a powerful soldier in those days, and to his heirs, to be held of the see, at one fee; (see vol. iii. p. 473, vol. iv. p. 536;) this he afterwards declared he did, without the consent of the prior and chapter, and by force, least by the misfortunes of war in England, the whole see should be spoiled; and therefore afterwards he requested a bull of the Pope, to absolve him from the fact, and restore the possession to the church, (fn. 5) but was denied, and William Fitz Robert, brother of John, held it of the old feofment, when the Black Book of the Exchequer was made, about 1165; this William married Sibil, sister and coheir of John, son of Ralf de Caineto, Chesneto, or Cheyney, and he assumed that name; they left three daughters, their coheiresses.
Sarah, the 3d daughter, married to Richard Engaine, (fn. 6) grandson to Richard Engaine who lived iu the Conqueror's days; this Richard in 1191, gave the King 200 marks to have possession of his wife's inheritance, and to be sheriff of Northamptonshire, and to have the profits of the county for 3 years; (fn. 7) but this manor, in 1217, was released by Jordan de Saukvile and Clementia his wife, and Vitalis, son of Richard Engaine and Sara his wife, to
Margery de Cressi, and so it came wholly to that family; and in 1223, a fine was levied between her and the Bishop of Norwich, by which the advowson was settled wholly on the see and the manor on her and her heirs; and in 1238 Roger de Cressy was lord, and added much to it, by purchase from William son of Bertram de Blickling. He married Isabell, daughter and coheiress of Hubert de Rhia or Rye, and John Marshall married the other coheiress; and in 1211 it appears, that Isabell his wife was widow of Geffry de Cestria or Chester, and that hè married her by the King's favour; she died seized of this manor, and was found to be a coheiress of the barony of Rye, about 1266; and Alice Marshall, her sister, inherited, and paid a relief for her lands. In 1267 there was a suit for this manor, between William de Valentia or Valence, and Robert Fitz Roger, by which it appears that the King had granted this, Filby, and WestLexham manors, with other inheritances of Hugh and Roger de Cressy, as escheats, to
William de Valence, who recovered them, and had liberty of return of writs in all his manors in Northamptonshire, (fn. 8) by his own steward, who would not permit the sheriff to enter; but soon after, Valence surrendered this and Bliburgh manors, to
Robert Fitz Roger, as the inheritance of Margery de Cressi; but Valence was to hold Filby and West Lexham, as the inheritance of Hugh or Stephen de Cressy, or Roger de Cheyney, his ancestors; but after this,
John Engaine was lord here, who was son of Vitalis Engaine, who released it, as aforesaid in 1278; he held it of the Bishop of Norwich, and in 1281 was summoned with the rest of the barons to attend King Kdward I. in his expedition into Wales; and in 1285 John Engaine, junior, his son, was lord, and had view of frankpledge, assize of bread and ale, and free-warren here, allowed him in eire; in 1293 he was summoned to attend King Edward I. with horse and arms into Gascoigne to recover it from the French; and in 1296, it appears that he had this manor with Ellen his wife, daughter of Robert Fitz Roger, (fn. 9) and that his father had it only settled on him for life, in trust for them; in 1309 John Engaine and Helen his wife sold this manor to
Robert de Holveston and his heirs, paying a rent charge to them during their lives; this Robert was succeeded by James de Holveston his son, who was lord in 1345, and in 1368, he and Joan his wife settled it on the trustees, for themselves for life, with remainder to Sir Nicholas Dagworth, Knt. and his heirs; lie died in 1378, and was buried in St. Andrew's church at Blickling, and Joan his wife, and 2 daughters, survived him.
This family took their rise and name from Dagworth, in Stow Hundred in Suffolk, where Walter de Aggeworth or Dagworth, and Aveline his wife, held lands in King John's time; and in 1216, Walter was dead, and Robert his son, and Aveline his mother, owned them; Hervy de Dagworth succeeded, and his son Osbert was lord (see vol. v. p. 281) in 1253; in which year King Henry III. granted him Bradwell manor in Essex, and a market and free fair there, and freewarren in his manors of Dagworth and Brandeston in Suffolk; (fn. 10) he then held Dagworth, of Henry de Essex, as of Raleigh honour, and Brandeston of the Abbot of Bury; John de Dagworth died about 1272, seized of Dagworth and Duddingshirst manor in Essex, and left John his son and heir a minor, who was in the King's wardship; and in 1307 Maud his mother died seized of the office of usher of the Exchequer, in her own right, and left it to Sir John Dagworth, Knt. her son and heir. (fn. 11) In 1325 he was admitted to the 3d part of this office, which descended to him, as cousin and heir to Lora, who was wife of William Pyforer, &c. In 1333 it appears that Alice de Bellomonte or Beaumont left 2 daughters and coheirs; Isolda, married to John de Belhouse; and Alice, to Sir John de Dagworth, who left Nicholas de Dagworth, their son and heir, who inherited Bradwell, Dagworth, a moiety of Elmdon manor in Essex, &c.; this Nicholas was seized of the the office of marshal to the itinerant justices; he paid for his relief to the King for Dagworth manor, 3 arrows feathered with eagles feathers; he was also usher of the Exchequer. Sir Thomas de Dagworth, Knt. son of John, was Lieutenant to King Edward III. in Brittany in 1345, where he fought Charles of Blois, who called himself Duke of Britain, and took him prisoner at Rochedirian, (fn. 12) obtaining a great victory, killing above 600 knights, esquires, and men of arms; (see vol. i. p. 175;) but in July following, going with a small number to view the garrisons, he was surprised by an ambush of French, and after a brave defence killed, as were most of them with him, and the rest taken prisoners. In 1350 his widow Alianora, Countess of Ormond, relict of James Botiler, first Earl of Ormond, and daughter of Humphrey de Bohun Earl of Hereford, (fn. 13) had the King's protection, for herself, servants, workmen, and tenants, and all her estates, in the dukedom of Brittain.
In 1364, Sir Nicholas Dagworth, Knt. afterwards lord of Blickling, was commander in Acquitain; in 1373 he was employed by King Edward III. in a secret negociation with John Fastolff, and others in France. (fn. 14) In 1376 he was sent by the King and Council into Ireland, to examine into Sir William de Windsor's carriage there; but at the motion of dame Alice Perers, he was stopped, he declaring him Sir William's enemy, and that it was unjust to appoint one enemy to judge another; (fn. 15) but the next year, he was sent with full commission to reform the state of that kingdom. (fn. 16) He was in as grea esteem with King Richard II. as he had always been with Edwardt III.; for in 1380 he, Sir John Haukewood, Knt. and Walter Skirlawe, doctor of the decrees, and dean of St. Martin's le Grand in London, was sent into France to treat with the dukes and lords of Italy; and the same year, being one of the privy chamber to the King, he with Bernard Vansedles, Simon de Burley, the chamberlain, Robert Braybrook, licentiate in the laws, and Walter Skirlaw, had like powers to treat with the German princes; (fn. 17) the next year, he and Skirlaw went ambassadors to Pope Urban VI. and had power to treat with the King of Naples. In 1384, he and John Baam, dean of St. Martin's, the King's secretary, and Sir John Haukewood, went ambassadours to the Pope, and to treat with Charles King of Jerusalem and Cecily: and notwithstanding his being so much in favour, in the 11thof Richard II. he was one of those impeached in parliament, and was imprisoned in Rochester castle in Kent; but being honourably discharged, was the next year appointed a commissioner to treat with the French king, and with the Earl of Flanders; in the 13th of Richard II. he was made one of the commissioners to take the oath of the King of Scotland, to the treaty then concluded, and afterwards demanded satisfaction of the Scots for infringing that treaty, and also the money behind-hand for redemption of David Bruce, King of Scotland: afterwards he retired to this place, where he built the mansion or manor-house, and constantly resided here to the day of his death. In 1391 he settled his manor of Bradwell on divers feoffees, and exemplified the liberties of this manor in 14th Richard II. when all the tenants were exempt from toll, as being ancient demean; this great man died in January 1401, and lies buried at the east end of the south isle of Blickling church, under a marble, on which is his figure in brass, armed cap-à-pee, lying on his crest, of an eagle's head erased, and a lion couchant at his feet, and the arms of
Alianora his widow was daughter of Walter, and sister and coheir of Sir John Rosale of Shropshire, (fn. 18) who in 1407 released all her right in the 3d part of this manor for term of life, to Sir Thomas de Erpingham, and Sir Robert Berney, Knts.; she died in 1432, and in that year John Inglefield, Esq. their son, was heir to Alianora.
Thomasine, sister and heiress of Sir Nicholas Dagworth, (fn. 19) married William Lord Furnival of Worsop in Nottinghamshire, and had Joan their daughter and heiress, married to Thomas Nevile Lord Furnival.
But this manor was in the hands of Sir Thomas Erpingham, Knt. and his feoffees, and they all released their right to Sir Thomas in 1431, together with John Mortimer and Eleanor his wife, and Sir Thomas sold it to
Sir John Fastolf, Knt, and his heirs, who in 1445 settled it on John, Cardinal and Archbishop of Canterbury, and many other feoffees; in 1450 he had the liberties allowed to his manor here. Sir John sold it to Sir Geffrey Boleyn, Knt. (fn. 20) lord mayor of the city of London, who made it in his country seat.
Jeffery Boleyne of Salle, Gent. (fn. 21) who married Alice, daughter and heiress of Bracton; he was buried by his ancestors in Salle church in 1440, leaving
Jeffery Boleyne, his son and heir, who being a great favourite with Sir John Fastolf, was by his interest much promoted; he settled in London, and was mayor of that city in 1457, (as at vol. iv. p. 34,) being then knighted; he married Anne, first daughter and coheir of Thomas Lord Hoo and Hastyngs, by his 2d wife Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Nicholas Wichingham, Knt. of Fishley in Norfolk, who survived him, and was alive and remarried to Sir Thomas Fenys in 1501.
He built the chapel of St. Thomas, at the east end of the north isle of Blickling church, and adorned the windows with beautiful painted glass, and there still remain his own arms impaling his wife's in a window there, and this inscription;
He made his will, by the name of Geffrey Boleyn, citizen, mercer, and alderman of London, which was proved July 2, 1463, (fn. 22) in which he bequeathed his body to be buried in the chapel of St, John, in the church of St. Lawrence in the Jury, or else in his chapel of St. Thomas, in the church of Blickling, if he died in Norfolk; he made his brother, Master Thomas Boleyn, (fn. 23) his executor, and died seized of Blickling, Mulbarton, Stiveky, and divers other manors in Norfolk and Kent, (fn. 24) leaving good portions to all his children, having had three sons and four daughters, and dying in London, was buried in St. Laurence's church, in the chapel there, according to his own direction: as to his daughters,
Isabel, (fn. 25) to William, son and heir of Sir John Cheyney, Knt.
Sir Thomas Boleyn, the eldest, was a minor; at his father's death he lived at Salle, but was of age before 1466, for then he was party to a fine concerning Hedenham manor; he died in April 1471, and his will was proved 26th of June following, (fn. 26) by which he ordered to be buried by his father, and made the Lady Anne his mother executrix, and ordered her to sell his place in Ingham manor in Norfolk, and to dispose of it for his soul's health; this lady died in 1484, seized of the manor and advowson of Mulbarton, in her own right, and
Sir William Boleyn of Blickling, Knt. and of Hevercastle in Kent, her second son, became general heir. He was made Knt. of the Bath at the coronation of King Richard III. was sheriff of Kent 5th of Henry VII. and married Margaret daughter and coheir of Thomas Butler Earl of Ormond; (for whom see vol. iv. p. 33, 4;) he was buried in Norwich cathedral in 1505, by the grave of dame Anne Bullen his mother; he tied his manors of Blickling, Calthorp, Wickmere, and Mekyl or Mulbarton, to pay 200 marks per annum for life to dame Margaret his wife, (fn. 27) and died seized of the manors of Filby, Stukey, and West Lexham in Norfolk, Hoe, Offley, and Cockenhoe in Hertfordshire, and Hever and Seale in Kent; he had
6, Sir Edward Boleyn, Knt. of Blickling, married Anne, daughter and coheir of Sir John, son of Sir Robert Tempest, Knt. and Catherine his wife, daughter and coheir of Lionel Lord Wells, and Cecily his wife, sister and coheir of Sir Robert Waterton, Knt.; he inherited in right of his wife, Houghton and Medley manors in Yorkshire, in 1520; they had four daughters coheiresses; 1, Mary, married to James, 5th son of Robert Brampton of Brampton, Esq.; 2, Elizabeth, to Thomas Payne of Iteringham; 3, Ursula, to William Pygge of Essex; 4, Amy, to Sir Edward Whinborough, and after to Nicholas Shadwell of Bromhill. His daughters were, 1, Anne, who lies buried here, with this,
Hic iacet Anna Boleyn, filia Willi; Boleyn, Armigeri, Etatis trium Annorum undecem Mensum et tredecem Dierum, que obiit ultimo Die Mensis Octobr' Anno Domini Mcccclrrir cuius anime propicietur Deus Amen.
Sir Thomas Bullen, the eldest son, was created Knt. of the Bath at the coronation of Henry VIII. He held this manor of the Bishop of Norwich, and paid 3s. 6d. every 30 weeks for castle-guard, and was governour of Norwich castle in 1512, ambassador to the Emperor Maximilian; Viscount Rochford 17 Henry VIII. Knight of the Garter, Earl of Wilts, to the heirs male of his body, and Earl of Ormond to his heirs general, lord privy seal, &c. for whom see more at vol. iv. p. 34; he died 30 Henry VIII. 1538, and had by Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Duke of Norfolk, his only wife, 1, George Boleyn Viscount Rochford, who was summoned to parliament by that title during his father's life time; he was constable of Dover castle, lord warden of the Cinqueports, and ambassador into France; one of the King's privy chamber, which it had been happy for him if he had never enjoyed, for when that lustful prince, Henry VIII. determined the Queen's destruction, he fell a sacrifice, with four others, of the privy chamber, to make a clearer way for his sister's death, and was consequently beheaded in the Tower of London, May 17, 28 Henry VIII. 1536, his father then living; he left Jane, daughter of Henry Parker Lord Morley, his widow.
2, Anne Boleyn, his sister, Queen of England, (see vol. iv. p. 35,) second wife to King Henry VIII. and eldest daughter to Sir Thomas Bullen aforesaid, and mother to Elizabeth Queen of England, was privily married to that King, on St. Paul's day, Jan. 25, 1533, by Dr. Rowland Lee, then Bishop of Coventry and Litchfield, (the King having repudiated Queen Catherine his wife,) and in April following, she being with child, was openly acknowledged Queen of England, and afterwards was crowned with great pomp and solemnity. (see Stow's Chronicle, fo. 567.) But her grandeur was of short continuance, for the King having taken a liking to Lady Jane, daughter of Sir John Seymour, Knt. resolved to have her; and to make the way clear, on May 2, 1536, he committed Queen Anne to the Tower, who on the 15th following was there arraigned, before the Duke of Norfolk as High Steward of England, (Stow, fo. 572,) accompanied by the Duke of Suffolk, the Earl of Surrey, her own relations; and though as the historian says, "she seemed fully to cleere herself of all matters laid to her charge," being tried by her peeres 26 in number, whereof the Duke of Suffolk was chief, she was by them found guilty, and had judgment pronounced by the Duke of Norfolk, and accordingly, on May 19, was beheaded on a scaffold on the Green in the Tower, and her body was buried in the quire of the chapel there, by the Lord Rochford, her brother, and the very day following, the King married the Lady Jane Seymour.
Sir John Clere of Ormesby, Knt. son and heir of Sir Robert Clere, by Alice Boleyn his wife, one of the daughters of Sir William Boleyn, and at length coheir to Sir Thomas and Sir James; he settled here, and married Anne, daughter of Sir Thomas Tirrel of Gipping in Suffolk, Knt. and left Blickling to his son and heir,
Edward Clere, Esq. who married Frances, daughter and heiress of Sir Richard Fulmerston of Thetford, Knt. (see vol. ii. p. 57, 66,) and was buried here, under a most curious altar tomb, placed between the chancel and Boleyn's chapel; his effigies, which laid upon it, is now gone, but there remain the arms and matches of his family, from the conquest to the time that his son and heir, Sir Edward Cleere, and his mother Frances, (who died in 1616,) erected this tomb, which makes me speak of this family here, though their ancient seat was at Ormesby in Norfolk. (fn. 28)
Some pedigrees call him Edward; he had a daughter Joan; and Edward and John his eldest son, who is said to succeed his father in the lordship of Runham in Flegg, in Norfolk, and hath this on the tomb.
Clere impales Amberfield (or Amerville) per fess indented arg. and gul. three annulets counterchanged; and it is sometimes born with two plates in chief, and a torteaux in base instead of the annulets.
6, Nicholas his heire married (Annabella or) Annable, daughter and heire of Sir William de Ormesby, Knt. (fn. 29)
Clere quarters Ormesby, gul. a bend componè or and az. between six croslets arg. (fn. 30)
This coat ought to have been also impaled by this man, and quartered by his successours; by this match the lordship of Ormesby, and a large estate belonging to that ancient family, came to the Cleres, who fixed in the Ormesbys seat, and continued there.
9, Nicholas his heir married Moriel, daughter of Robart Somerton, Esq. of East Somerton. (fn. 31)
This Robart, in 1340, was escheator of Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex, Cambridgeshire, and Huntingtonshire, was elected one of the knights in parliament for the county of Norfolk, in the 18th of Edward III. anno 1343, and with Bartholomew Bateman his partner, had 10l. 8s. for 26 days attendance, allowed him. In 1345 he was again returned with John de Berneye, and again in 1347. He served again in the parliament held in 1351, with John de Ratlesden; and in 1356 attending only 24 days, he had 5l. for his expenses, whereas the other member, John de Berneye, attending 32 days, had 6l. 8s. for his expenses.
In 1360 he was guardian of the temporalities of the see of Norwich during Bishop Percy's absence beyond sea. It seems that he and his wife rebuilt the church of Ormesby St. Margaret, for their effigies remain in the north window next the rood-loft, with this,
They are buried under the tomb, without arms or inscription, by this window; they had also William, who married Elizabeth, daughter and heir of Thomas Newton, and another son, who married a daughter and heir of Charles, and a daughter Sarah, married to Somerton by whom she had Beatrice, who married Clememt Paston.
11, William his heir, married Diones, daughter of Sir William Wichingham, whose heritage grew partable. (fn. 32)
This William, in 1351, was a knight, and serjeant at law, and in 1366 settled on Dionise his wife, his manors of Morehall, StrattonStreless, Vaux's in Burgh St. Mary, and Stalham-hall. In 1378 he lent King Richard II. 40 marks towards his supporting the French wars; and in 1381, 50 marks more for that purpose; he died in 1384, and was buried in St. Margaret's chancel at Ormesby, John his son being a minor; he seems to have been concerned in rebuilding the chancel, for he lies under the old arched tomb on the north side, and his arms are on the roof.
This John, by reason of his estate in Burgh in Flegg, became a ward to the Countess of Norfolk, of whom it was held by knight's service. In 1390 he and Dionise his mother, purchased lands in Scrouteby. He and his wife are buried in Norwich cathedral, as at vol. iv. p. 35. She remarried to Sir John Rothenhale, Knt. and by will gave to Robert Clere her son, all her goods at Ormesby, and to Edmund Clere her son, all her goods at Castor, and her manor of Horninghall there, and Henstede, Rothenhale, and Cleydon manors in Suffolk.
13, Robart his heir, married Elizabeth, daughter and heir of Tho. Owydale, Esq. (fn. 33)
Clere, &c. as before, impaling Owydale or Dovedale, arg. a cross moline gul. quartering gul. a chevron erm. between three delises or; and Rusteyn, a horse passant sab. trapped, bridled and saddled or.
This Robert is said by all evidences to be buried in the cathedral in Norwich, with Elizabeth Owydale his wife, as at vol. iv. p. 35; but though she was, (fn. 34) it is plain to me now, that he was buried according to his will, in the nave of Ormesby St. Margaret's church, with these inscriptions; the former now remains, though the latter is lost:
He gave all his estate for life to his wife, and at her death William (fn. 35) his son was to have the manors of Ormesby, Freethorp, and the manor and advowson of Winterton, &c. and Thomas his son to have Stratton Streeless manor, and Robert his son, Keswick manor in tail, after the death of his sons without issue, to Edmund (fn. 36) his brother, remainder to Margaret, daughter (fn. 37) of the said Robert.
This Sir Robert was famed for his great wealth, (fn. 38) and acquired much reputation for his manly courage; he was knighted on AllSaints eve 1494, by Henry Duke of York was sheriff of Norfolk in 1501, and was present at that great interview between King Henry VIII. and the French King on the 7th of June 1520, when he attended the Queen with a grand equipage; his testament is dated August 1, 1529, by which he ordered his executors, as soon as they well could, that they should cause 100 masses of the five wounds to be said for him, and also that they should provide a priest to pray for his soul, those of Dame Anne, daughter of Sir William Hopton, Knt. and of Dame Alice, daughter of Sir William Boleyn of Blickling, Knt. his two wives, and of all his ancestors and friends, and ordered that this service should be kept five years in the church he was buried in; but above all, he desired that if any persons could prove, that he had hindered them, or against conscience wronged them, in their goods or substance, that his executors on such proof should make them restitution.
By his first wife he had a son, William, (fn. 39) who died without issue; but by the 2d, he had three sons, John, Richard, and Thomas, and four daughters; Elizabeth, wife of Sir Robert Peyton of Iselham, Knt.; (fn. 40)Anne, a nun at Denny; Dorothy, who married Robert Cotton; and Etheldred or Audrey, who espoused William Jenney; Thomas, the youngest son, was buried at Lambeth in 1545, and was a great favourite with that learned peer, Henry Howard Earl of Northampton, (fn. 41) who to perpetuate his memory, hath enumerated his services in the following epitaph,
Norfolk sprang thee, Lambeth holds the dead, Clere of the County of Cleer-mont, though hight, Within the Womb of Ormond's Race thou bred, (fn. 42) And sawest thy Cosin Crowned in thy Sight; Shelton for Love, Surry for Lord thou chuse, Aye me! while Life did last, that League was tender, Tracing whose Steps, thou sawest Kelsall blaze, Laundersey burnt, and batter'd Bullen render; At Muttrel Gates, hopeless of all Re-cure Thine Earl, half Dead, gave in thy Hand his Will; Which Cause did thee, this pining Death procure, E're Summers, Seven times Seven, thou could'st fulfill.
Sir John, in 1549, was treasurer of the King's army in France; in 1556 was employed to hire ships for the King's service against Scotland; in 1557 was made vice admiral, and sent to sea with a fleet under his command, to alarm the northern coasts of Scotland; upon his landing upon one of the Orkney Islands called Kirkway, the Scots fell upon his men, and killed and drowned 80 of them, besides himself, who was drowned there in Aug. 1557, and died seized of the manor of Ormesby, the advowson of Winterton, and chapel of East Somerton, Northall in Freethorp, the advowson of St. Edmund's in Norwich, Somerton manor, advowson and manor of Vauxhall in Burgh in Fleg, Stalham-hall, Limpenhoe, Tacolneston, Vuedales, Tharston, Gonviles and Rusteyns in Wimondham, Blickling, Morehall, and Hawes, in Salle, Stratton Streless, and the advowson, Scrateby, Fundenhall rectory, &c.
They had issue two daughters; Elizabeth, 1st wife of Walter Heronden, Esq. and secondly of Francis Trevor of Tacolneston, Esq.; and Margaret, who married to William Haddon, Esq. one of the masters of the Court of Requests; he died 21st August, 4th and 5th P. M. 1551, being then member for the burgh of Thetford. His sons were, 1st, Robert Clere, who lost his life, fighting valiantly against the Scots at the battle of Mussleborough. 2d, Thomas, who died at Florence; and 3d, Edward, who succeeded him.
16, Edward, heir of Sir John, married Frances, daughter and heir of Sir Richard Fulmerston, Knt. (fn. 43)
He resided at Blickling and Ormesby, was member for Thetford in 1556, (fn. 44) and for Grampound in Cornwall in 1558 and 1563, was highsheriff of Norfolk in 1567, had issue, 1st, Edward, his son and heir; 2d, Francis, who was knighted by James I. July 23, 1603, and married Elizabeth Wroth, but died without issue; 3d, Gilbert, who died single.
17, Edward Clere, was knighted at Norwich by Queen Elizabeth in her progress in these parts, (fn. 45) and in 1580 was high-sheriff of Norfolk; he first married Margaret, daughter of William Yaxley of Yaxley in Suffolk, Esq by whom he had Henry his son and heir; and afterwards Agnes, relict of Sir Christopher Heydon of Baconsthorp, daughter of Robert Crane of Chilton in Suffolk, by whom he had only Robert, who died young; he travelled into foreign parts, was in such esteem at the French court, that he was elected one of the knights of the Gullick Order of St. Michael; but affecting much grandeur, and keeping a vast retinue, he contracted a large debt, and was forced to sell a great part of his estate, and among others, (fn. 46) this manor and advowson, to Sir Henry Hobart, Knt. attorney-general, and dying June 8, 1606, at London, he was interred here, August 14, with great solemnity, as the parish register informs me.
18, Sir Henry Clere of Ormesby, Esq. his son and heir, was knighted by King James I. at the Charter-House, May 11, 1603, and was created a baronet, 27 February 1620, 18th of James I.; (fn. 47) but leaving no male issue, the title ceased in this family.
Hic requiescit Henricus Clere Baronettus, (fn. 48) qui Thalamo sibi Conjunxit, Merielem, Filiam Edmundi Domini Mondeford, Equitis Aurati, ex quâ habuit prolem Filiam unicam, Abigalem, obijt xxii. Augusti, Anno Domini Mdcxxii. Ætatis suæ - - - - - - - - - - -
John, about 1431, whose son, by a daughter and heir of AtteChurch, (fn. 49) left
Thomas Hobart of the Tye, who married Eleanor, daughter and heiress of John Taylor, (fn. 50) alias Amfry, and died in 1450, whose son,
William, his eldest son, who married Anne, daughter of Sir Philip Tilney, from whom the Hobarts of Monks Illegh, and afterwards of Lindsey, and those of Milding, (fn. 51) and others who settled in London, are descended.
James Hobart, the younger son of Thomas, born at Monks Illegh in Suffolk, was the first of the family that settled in Norfolk, and by his prudent management left a fine estate to his posterity, (fn. 52) and with it, this excellent character, that he was, a right good man, of great learning and wisdom; (fn. 53) he was brought up to the law, which he studied in Lincoln's-Inn with great success, and became of such reputation, that he transacted the affairs of many of the principal families in this county, when he was very young; being reader in LincolnsInn, in Lent-Term, 1447, and in Edward the Fourth's time in 1472, Walter Le-Hert, or Lyhert, Bishop of Norwich, (fn. 54) made him one of his executors, and it seems that he had married his niece, (fn. 55) (who was then dead,) for his first wife, by whom he had no issue; for the Bishop gave him 20l. as an executor, and 100l. and a cup of silver gilt, with his arms at the bottom, on condition that he claimed nothing more of his goods. In 1484, 2d Richard III. he was elected one of the governours of Lincolns-Inn, and the 2d of November, in the 2d of Henry VII. 1486, was constituted attorney-general to the King, (fn. 56) and afterwards sworn of his privy-council; and this year it appears, that he was in high reputation with the citizens of Norwich, (fn. 57) and in 1493, he was arbitrator to settle the disputes between the prior and convent, and the city; (fn. 58) (fn. 59) in 1496, he was elected their recorder, and burgess in parliament for the city; in 1498 he was executor to Bishop Goldwell; (fn. 60) and on February 18, in the 19th of Henry VII. 1503, was dubbed one of the knights of the sword, at the creation of Henry Prince of Wales, and was then in the highest esteem. (fn. 61) He was certainly a man of great bounty and generosity, as his public works testify; his elegant parish church of the Holy Trinity at Loddon, which he built in 1495, is one testimony, in the east chancel window of which, he fixed his own and wife's effigies on their knees, (fn. 62) in praying postures, with their arms on their surcoats, viz. Hobard with a crescent, for distinction of his being a second brother, and Naunton sab. three martlets or, she being daughter of Peter Naunton, Esq.; he holds up the church, and she St. Olave's or St. Tooley's bridge, which they also built over the Waveny or county river, that divides Norfolk and Suffolk, and made the commodious causeway by it; and under them was this inscription:
And I should not do justice to his memory, should I omit his being a principal benefactor towards the Council-chamber in the Guild-hall of the city in 1511, when it was rebuilt, in which there is a picture of him now remaining, in his hat and band, holding a parcel of papers. (fn. 63) His magnificence to the noble arched roof of the cathedral church was such, that his arms were there carved among the principal benefactors; (fn. 64) the ancient house in Loddon, called Hales-hall, in which he lived, was great part of it built by him, and continued the place of his country residence to his death, though he had two city-houses, one in London and another in Norwich. (fn. 65)
Weever, fo. 861, says, that Margaret his wife, who died in 1494, was buried at Loddon, which I do not think, but rather, that she was interred in the cathedral at Norwich, by whom he himself was also buried, his tomb still remaining between the 9th and 10th north pillars; (fn. 66) an account of which you may see in vol. iv. p. 28, and in my plan of the cathedral, (number 31;) Mr. Rice says, that he died in 1507, but he was alive and recorder in 1511, and lived to a very advanced age, and truly merited the learned Cambden's account of him, that he deserved well of the church, the country, and the commonweale. He had two sons and one daughter,
Walter, his eldest son, succeeded at Hales-hall, was first knighted, and was sheriff of Norfolk and Suffolk 27th Henry VIII. 1535, he removed and settled at Morley, (fn. 67) and married,
2d, Anne, daughter to John Ratcliff Lord Fitz-walter, (fn. 68) and sister to Robert Ratcliff Earl of Sussex and Lord Fitz-walter, from whom the Hobarts of Morley are descended.
Miles Hobart of Plumstede, second son to Sir James, settled at Plumstede, and by his wife Audrey, daughter and coheiress of William Hare of Beeston in Norfolk, Esq. (fn. 69) had two sons;
Henry, who studied the law in Lincolns-Inn, and became a man of note in his profession very early. (fn. 70) In 1590, 22d of April, he was married at Blickling, to Dorothy, daughter of Sir Robert Bell of Beaupre-Hall in Upwell, Knt. Lord Chief Baron of the Exchequer, by whom he had 16 children; in 1595 he was chosen steward of the city of Norwich, and the next year was elected one of the governours of his own year inn; and the same year was returned burgess in parliament for Yarmouth, as also in the year 1600; and in 1603 was called to the degree of serjeant at law. On the accession of James I. to the English crown, he was himself knighted, with John his eldest son, 23d July, 1603. (fn. 71) He served for the city of Norwich in the first parliament called by that King, and being in high reputation for his abilities, and learning, in 1605, was made attorney to the Court of Wards; and the same year, July the 4th, was constituted the King's attorney general; and in 1610, June 22, was appointed by letters patent, (fn. 72) one of the first governours of the Charter-house, and advanced to the degree of a baronet, at the first institution in 1611, being the ninth in precedency; and the same year, October 26, was constituted Lord Chief Justice of the Common-Pleas, (fn. 73) in which post he acquitted himself with honour, and died therein December 26, 1625, being a great loss to the publick, as Sir Henry Spelman observes; the reports of several law cases have been published since his death with this title: The Reports of that Reverend and Learned Judge, the Right Honourable Sir Henry Hobart, Knt. and Bart. Lord Chief Justice of his Majesty's Court of Common-Pleas, and Chancellor to both their Highnesses, Henry and Charles, (fn. 74)Princes of Wales, &c. before which, there is a copper-plate of him; his motto was, Non morior, sed vivam; as to his being buried in the cathedral, (fn. 75) I belive it is a mistake, the monument there being for the attorney general, James Hobart; I rather think he was interred at Blickling, which he purchased of Sir Edward Clere. He had a city-house in Norwich, where his eldest son, Henry, who died young, was born the 28th of April, 1591, and Henry, his youngest, Nov. 17, 1619. Dorothy, his eldest daughter, was born in 1591; his others were, Mary Elizabeth, born in 1608, married to John Lisle, Esq. and died in 1633, for whom there is a monument in Highgate church in Middlesex, where she was buried, as was Frances, her youngest sister, who married Hewet, Esq. and died in 1632. He was succeeded in honour and estate by
John, his eldest surviving son, who was born at Norwich, April 19, 1593, and was knighted with his father; and he it was that built the present noble house, called Blickling-hall, immediately after his father's death, for it was finished, and the chapel in it consecrated, in 1628; (fn. 76) over the entrance are the arms and quarterings of Hobart, between two shields; on the first, Hobart impales Bell, being the arms of his father and mother; on the 2d, Hobart impales Sidney, being the arms of himself and wife; the building is a curious brick fabrick, foursquare, with a turret at each corner; there are two courts, and with the fine library, elegant wilderness, good lake, gardens, and park, is a pleasant beautiful seat, worthy the observation of such as make the Norfolk tour.
In 1625, he was parliament-man for Thetford, and in 1640 was returned for the county of Norfolk, having been high sheriff of that county in 1633; he had two wives, Philippa, daughter to Robert Sidney Earl of Leicester, and Frances, daughter to John Egerton Earl of Bridgewater; but at his death in 1647, left no issue male. (fn. 77)
This noble lady was born in London in 1603, being the eldest of of eight daughters of the Right Honourable John Egerton Earl of Bridgewater, Viscount Brackley, and Lord Elsmore, by Frances, daughter to the Right Houourable Ferdinando Earl of Derby; and though they had nine children, one daughter only lived to marrigeable years, all the rest dying young; the young lady was afterwards married to that honourable and worthy person, Sir John Hobart, Baronet, the heir of her father's honour and family, by whom it pleased God, after some years, to give her a son, after which, this young and noble lady did not long survive, being immaturely taken away by the small-pox, many years before the death of her mother, nor did her only child long survive its mother; so that she lived to see her wise God stripping her of every branch that had sprang out of her root, to let her know he had a better name for her, than that of sons and daughters; to use the very words of Dr. Collings, minister of St. Stephen's in Norwich, in which parish, Chapel-field-house stands, where this noble lady lived, and the Doctor also, who was taken by Sir John Hobart as his chaplain in 1646 into the house, where she died on Sunday Nov. 27, 1664, in the 61st year of her age, and was interred with her husband in the vault at Blickling, Dec. 1, 1664. (fn. 78) Her chaplain, Dr. Collings, (fn. 79) published her life, and that of her sister, the lady Catherine Courteen, which was printed at London 1669, in octavo, under the title of Par Nobile, and dedicated to the Right Honourable the Lady Elizabeth, Countess Dowager of Exeter, sister to the Lady Frances, to whose memory, among others, were these lines printed;
You in Devotions, who were wont to go To Walsingham, hence forward, learn to know The way to Chappelfield, there you may see, The Place were once this Saint abode, where she So long wrought Miracles of Love: Far more, Than your dull College, that was there before: Thence Weeping pass to Blickling Vault, and there, Pay your Devotions to her Sepulcher:
When this is done, go you and do likewise, Acknowledge Christ the only Sacrifice For Sin. Take Heaven, upon the Gift of Grace, Then Work as She. Thus you may see the Place Where she abides, and a Saint Frances find, (Can you beleive't ?) that was not of your mind.
Sir Milel Hobart, who was born at Plumstede, April 12, 1595, was knighted at Salisbury, by James I. August 8, 1623, and being a member in that parliament, which met March 17, 1627, he was remarkably diligent in opposing the designs of the Court, and was one of those members, who foreseeing the dissolution of it, on March 2, 1628, forcibly held the Speaker in the chair, whilst they published a protestation in the house declaring, 1, Who-ever shall bring in innovation of religion, or by favour or countenance seek to extend or introduce Popery or Arminianism, or other opinion disagreeing from the truth and orthodox church, shall be reputed a capital enemy to this kingdom and commonwealth. 2. Who-ever shall councel or advise the taking and levying of the subsidies of tonnage and poundage, not granted by parliament, or shall be an actor or instrument therein, shall be likewise reputed an innovator in the government, and capital enemy to the kingdom and commonwealth. 3. If any merchant or person whatsoever, shall voluntarily yield or pay the said subsidies of tonnage and poundage, not being granted by Parliament, he shall likewise be reputed a betrayer of the liberties of England, and an enemy to the same. On this the parliament was immediately dissolved, and Sir Miles imprisoned, for locking the door of the house, during the publishing of the aforesaid protestation, but was discharged in 1631, on giving security for his good behaviour; whether he was imprisoned again, I know not; but it should seem he suffered other hardships, for though he died before the civil wars broke out, his sufferings were esteemed so meritorious by the long parliament, that in 1646, they voted 5000l. should be given to his children, in recompense thereof, and for opposing the illegalities of that time. He had issue by Susan, his wife, daughter of Sir John Peyton of Iselham in Cambridgeshire, a daughter, Alice, married to John Jermy of Bayfield in Norfolk, Esq. and
Sir John Hobart, Bart. his son and heir, who succeeded his uncle as aforesaid, being knight of the shire for the county of Norfolk, (fn. 80) in the three last parliaments called by King Charles II. and had the honour of a visit from that King at Blickling, (fn. 81) where he knighted his eldest son Henry. (fn. 82) He married Mary, daughter of John Hampden of Hampden in Buckinghamshire, Esq. and widow of Colonel Hammond; (fn. 83) the three other sons were, John, (fn. 84) late a brigadier-general in the army of his present Majesty, and captain and governour of Pendennis Castle in Cornwall, who died at his house in Queen's-street, November 7, 1734, and Thomas, of Lincoln's-Inn, who died unmarried, and are both buried here with this inscription:
Near this Place are deposited the Bodies of Brigadier John Hobart, and of Thomas Hobart, Esq; sons of Sir John Hobart, Bart. this Monument was erected by the Direction of the said John Hobart, in Memory of their inviolable Friendship, 1742.
Under this Marble Stone lieth the Body of James Hobart, Esq; whose Monument was erected at the East End of this Chancel, by his Father Sir John Hobart of Blickling Baronet, he was buried the 23d of October, 1670.
This Monument was erected by Sir John Hobart of Blickling, Bart. in Memory of his Deare and (then) second Son, James Hobart, Esq; by Mary the Daughter of John Hampden of Hampden in the County of Bux, Esq; he was a Youth of great Hopes for this Life and that to come, farr beyonde his Age, not being fully nine Years old, and was buried the 23d of October 1670.
Sir Henry Hobart, in 1682, who was elected a burgess for King's-Lyn, in the parliament that met at Oxford in 1681, and sat with his father, who served there as knight of the shire for Norfolk. He was a very great friend to and promoter of, the Revolution, and in the convention parliament, (being then knight of the shire for Norfolk,) he declared for the vacancy of the throne. Afterwards he was gentleman of the horse to King William, and attended on him at the battle of the Boyne in Ireland. In 1695, he was again elected to serve in parliament for the county, and always behaved liked a man of honour in that post, but being disappointed of his election in 1698, and resenting some words said to be spoken by Oliver Le Neve, Esq. (which Le Neve denied under his hand) a challenge was given, and a duel ensued, in which Sir Henry passed his sword through Neve's arm, and Neve ran his into Sir Henry's belly, of which wound he died the next day, being Sunday, 21 August, 1698, and was interred in the vault here; he married the eldest daughter and coheir of Joseph Maynard, Esq. son and heir of Sir John Maynard, Knt. one of the commissioners of the great seal in the reign of King William. She died his widow, 22 Aug. 1701, and is in the vault with him; they had three daughters.
2, Katherine, who married Major-General George Churchill, colonel of a regiment of dragoons, groom of the bed chamber to his Majesty, governour of Plimouth, and member in parliament for Castle-Rising.
John, now Earl of Buckinghamshire, who was educated at Clarehall in Cambridge, and at his return from his travels was elected member for St. Ives in Cornwall, in the first parliament of George I. and in 1722, for the same borough, as also for that of Beer-Alston in Devonshire; in that reign he was constituted one of the commissioners for trade and the plantations; and on the 27th of May, 1725, was elected one of the knights companions of the most honourable Order of the Bath; on the accession of his present Majesty, he was made treasurer of the chamber, and chosen a knight of the shire for Norfolk, and burgess for Beer-Alston; and in May 1728 was advanced to the dignity of a baron of this realm, by the title of Lord Hobart, Baron Hobart of Blickling in the county of Norfolk; and in 1730 was constituted assay-master or, tryer of the tin, belonging to the Prince of Wales, by his Royal Highness; and on January 31, 1739, was sworn lord lieutenant of the county of Norfolk. (fn. 85) On his Lord ship's resigning his post of treasurer of the chamber, his Majesty was pleased to constitute him captain of the band of Gentlemen Pensioners on December 25, 1744; and the 3d of January following, he was sworn of the privy council; and on August 20, 1746, was advanced to the dignity of an Earl of the kingdom of Great-Britain, by the name, style, and title, of Earl of Buckinghamshire; his present titles being,
Earl of Buckinghamshire, (created August 20, 1746, 20 George II.) Baron Hobart of Blickling, (28 May, 1728, 1st George II.) and Baronet, (22 May 1611, 9 James I.) Captain of the Band of Gentlemen Pensioners to his Majesty, Lord Lieutenant and Custos Rotulorum, of the County of Norfolk, and Vice-Admiral of the same; one of the Lords of his Majesty's most Honourable Privy Council, and one of the Knights Companion of the most honourable Order of the Bath.
Judith, daughter and coheir to Robert Britiff, Esq. recorder of Norwich, (fn. 86) they were married Sunday Nov. 8, 1717, at Thorp Market; and she died February 7, 1727, and was deposited in the family vault; they had issue,
Henry, who had the Right. Hon. the Earl of Effingham (fn. 87) for his godfather.
Here lies reserved to the Resurrection of the Just, the Body of the Right Honourable the Lady Katherine, (late Wife to William Courtene, Esq;) the Seventh Daughter to the Right Honourable John (late) Earl of Bridgewater, She died at Norwich, March 25, A. D. 1652.
Stand Living Man! Learne from this Stone, What small Dimensions measure One In Death, tho' high her Quality By Birth; by Grace she higher bee; Here lies one nobly borne, (fn. 88) one blest, With all the Riches of the East Then stript of all, and in the Place, Receiv'd of God, Riches of Grace: These made her Covetous to see, The Mine, whence came such Treasury: This God observing, called her; Shee, Would take the Opportunitie, Her Soule for Haste, there to appeare, Clogg'd with the Body, dropt it heere, Engaging to it i., the Morn', Of th' Resurrection, to return, And reassume, it's Union; Reader! weigh this, and then pass on.
The life of this lady, and her funeral sermon, from Psalm 17, 15, preached at Blickling, at her funeral, March 27, 1652, was published by Dr. Collinges, with that of her sister, the Lady Frances Hobart, and was dedicated to William Courtene, Esq. her nephew.
Here lieth under this Marble Stone, the Body of Miles Hobart, Esq; second Son of Miles Hobard of Intwood in this County, Esq. (fn. 89) by Elizabeth the Daughter of Edmond Mondeford, he was buried the 10th Day of April 1671, in the 34th Year of his Age.
Phillens, (fn. 90) and Myllm. Beynald Musbands of the sayd Agnes, of whose Soule Jhu have Meccy Amen.
Orate pro anima Anna Awade, Uroris secunde Chome Asteley, de Melton Cunstable Armigeri, que in die sancti Agapiti Mar- tyris Masculum et Femellam ad Partum peperit, et post pariendi Periculum, subito migravit ad Dominum, Anno Mo Benignissimi Urriio rpi.
To the deserved Memory of Mrs. Margaret Graile, who died Sept. 30, 1723, Aged 42. This Monument is erected by her Father John Graile, Rector of this Parish, who beseeches God that all his Parishioners, may live as Piously as she did, and after Death be as Happy as she is. O my Friends! Let us always Fear and Love, Serve and Obey the Lord our God during our short Life hereupon Earth, and he will hereafter, thro Jesus Christ, abundantly Reward us with Life Eternal, among the blessed Saints and Angels in the Kingdom of Heaven.
Had he lived to be a Man, This Inch had growne but to a span, Now he is past all Feare and Paine, It were Sin to wish him here againe, Vewe but the Way by which we come, Thoul't say he is best, that's first at Home,
Anne Hargrave died a Maiden, Aged 22, July 13, 1635. John Hargrave, a Freeman of the Company of Joiners in London, by his Trade a Carver, and a most excellent Workman in that Faculty, but few of that trade in London, that did exceed him, died a single Man at the Age of 26 Years, June 9, 1640. Charles Hargrave, a single Man, a Shoemaker of Norwich, died June 25, 1640, Æt. 23.
The ancient family of the Blicklings took their name from this village; Alan de Bekeling (fn. 91) had a good estate here, and in 1257, Thomas de Blickling settled 90 acres of land here, on William de Blickling; and Baldwin of Blickling settled 50 acres on him in Bridgeham; and it appears that this William was son of Bertram de Blickling, on whom in 1239 William de Cressy settled 100 acres of land, 12 acres of wood, and a mill, in Blickling and Horseford; Roger de Blickling was William's son, and had 80 acres of land here, besides the aforementioned land; and from him descended Adam de Blickling, who in 1312 was a citizen of Norwich, and from him and Catherine his wife descended Simon, who by Isabel his wife, had Roger, and he by Anne his wife had Robert, who in 1452, was buried in the church of St. Mary, belonging to the nuns at Carhoe, by Margaret his wife, and willed a stone to be laid over them, leaving Leonard his son, and Elizabeth his daughter; he ordered a marble pavement to be laid in the north isle of the chapel at St. Mary in the Fields in Norwich, where his grandfather is buried, &c.
Depositum Jacobi Hargrave Clerici et Artium Magistri, qui postquam hujus Ecclesiæ per Annos 40, Rector fuisset, hunc Tumulum in certa Spe Resurrectionis ad Vitam Æternam Vivus posuit, A. D. 1645. Æt. Suæ 64.
(fn. 92) Oblivio. Oblivio. Oblivio.
John Graile, A. M. This learned and pious pastor published many things during his life, (see p. 380,) as three sermons at Norwich cathedral, a fourth at Blickling, Lond. 1685, oct. &c.; (see vol. iv. p. 362;) the following inscription is for him in the chancel,
Here lieth the Body of Mr. John Graile, who having been through God's great Mercy, Rector of this Parish, almost 59 Years, departed from this Temporal Life Nov. 18 Day 1732, in the 87th Year of his Age; with a comfortable Hope of having all his Sins pardoned, for the Merits and thro' the Mediation of our Lord Jesus Christ, and with a joyful Expectation of his Rising again to Life Eternal.
Post Vitam Terris sat longam, Christe benigne, (fn. 93) In Cœlis tecum, sit mihi Vita precor.
The church is in Ingworth deanery, and is dedicated to St. Andrew, and there were three gilds, of St. Andrew, St. John Baptist, and our Lady, (fn. 94) held in it; it was first valued at 5 marks, afterwards at 16; it stands now in the King's Books as a rectory, valued at 10l. 13s. 4d. and pays 1l. 1s. 4d. yearly tenths, and is therefore incapable of augmentation; the procurations to the archdeacon are 7s. 7d. ob. per annum, and 11d. synodals to the Bishop, and the ancient Peter-pence were 4d. ob.; and in 1612, the dean and chapter had a pension of 13s. 4d. being a composition for the third part of the tithes of the Bishop's demeans, which was given by John of Oxford, to the Norwich monks, and by them settled on their hospital of Norman-spital, as in vol. iv. p. 429 et seq. and was confirmed by divers Bishops and Kings.
John de Gray Bishop of Norwich passed a license to appropriate this church to the monks of Norwich; and in 1265, Simon, then Bishop, actually confirmed it to the use of the celerer, and it was to be served by a stipendiary chaplain only; but the whole being not effectually passed before he voided the see, and no confirmation from the King or Pope, his successour set all aside, and so it remains a rectory to this day.
The town is in the liberty of the dutchy of Lancaster, and is valued at 525l. to the land-tax, and pays 10s. 2d. to every 300l. levy of the county-rate, and used to pay 4l. 10s to every tenth, when the taxes were levied that way.