An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 7. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1807.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Was partly, as I take it, an hamlet to Westbrigg, and the manor of the Lord Bainard, of Garboisthorp, extended into it, as may there be seen; this came afterwards to the Earls of Clare, and Jeffrey FitzPiers Earl of Essex, gave it to his priory of Shouldham. On the Dissolution, it was granted to Myldmay, then conveyed to Judge Gawdy, so to the Earl of Warwick.
But the principal part of this hamlet belonging to Westbrigg, and there accounted for, was held by Hermerus de Ferrariis, on the expulsion of Turchetel, and being part of the barony of Wirmegay, was held after of the Lord Bardolf.
On the rebellion of the Lord Bardolf, it came to the Crown, and was granted by King Henry IV. to Thomas Beaufort his brother, who was after Duke of Exeter, so to William Lord Viscount Beaumont; and after his death, was in the Crown, as in Wirmegay; and King Edward VI. in his first year, granted it to John Duke of Northumberland, who had license, in the 6th of the said King, to convey it to Thomas Mildmay, Esq. and his son, Sir Thomas, sold it in the 23d of Elizabeth to Judge Gawdy, and so descended to the Earl of Warwick, and was after conveyed to Gregory Gawsell, Esq. of Watlington, from whom it came to his niece Susan, wife of Sir John Davis of Bear Court in Berkshire. Gregory Davis, Esq. her son, inherited it, and dying in 1706, left 2 sons, Gregory, who died a minor in 1710, and John Davis, Esq. the present lord.
The inhabitants of this hamlet belonging to the parish of Westbrige, come to that church. In the beginning of the reign of King Edward III. Gilbert de Hethill, rector of Westbriggs, is called also Parsona de Tottenhull, and in the eschaet roll. an. 9, appears to have given to the prior of Wirmegay, 40 acres of land, 5 of meadow, and 5s. rent per ann. in Fordham, Hithe, and Riston, and at the same time he held also two carucates of land here of the Lord Bardolf, by the fourth part of a fee.
Tot, or Tut, is the name of a rivulet, and gives name to many places; thus Tottenhill, and Tutbury in Staffordshire, Tutwell in Warwickshire, Tottington in Norfolk, Tottenham in Middlesex, &c.