An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 7. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1807.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Bishop Beaufoe had, by the grant of the Conqueror, the greatest part of this town, which he held in fee;—Eight freemen under the commendation only of Almar Bishop of Elmham being deprived; and at the survey William de Noiers held under the Bishop 140 acres of land, 11 bordarers, and 8 acres of meadow; to these freemen there belonged also 3 carucates, but at the survey, there were but 2 and a half, valued at 20s. with the moiety of a church endowed with 15 acres, valued at 15d.—Two freemen also here, under the protection only of Bishop Almar, had a carucate of land, with 6 bordarers, and a carucate and a half, and 3 acres of meadow, which William de Noiers held of Bishop Beaufoe, and 4 freemen who possessed 8 acres of land, one acre of meadow, and half a carucate valued at 10s. This village was one leuca long, and half a one broad, paid 20d. gelt; (fn. 1) and other persons, besides William de Noiers, were enfeoffed of lands here.
The Lord Bardolf's manor extended into this town, and the Felminghams; the Rightwises, also the families of De Hindringham and Gernoun held under him.
The Burlinghams had a lordship. Elside Birlingham granted lands in Birlingham, sans date, to which grant Nicholas de Birlingham was a witness. George de Birlingham held one fee in the 41st of Henry III. and was not a knight. Jeff. son of John de North Birlingham, conveyed lands to Robert, son of Elvina, wife of Ralph Palmer de Udegate, by deed, sans date,—Udegate, or Wodegate, and Thorp were hamlets, in the 52d of Henry III. to North Birlingham.—William, son of Brictric de Birlingham, granted lands here sans date.—In 1538, Catherine Barrow, widow, was found to hold lately of the Bishop half a fee in South Birlingham.
In Birlingham, Edric (Lord of Bradeston, before the conquest) had 4 acres and a half of land belonging to his manor of Bradeston, and was valued with that at 10s. at the survey at 30s. After King William came into England, Edric was out-lawed, and fled into Dacia. Bishop Almar invaded it, but at the survey William de Noiers held it of Bishop Beaufoe. (fn. 2)
This was soon after the survey held by the Breideston family, lord of Bradeston, from whom it came to the Castons, Carbonels, so to Berney, the Edwards, and Sir Lambert Blackwell's heirs, as in Bradeston, and so to Carteret Leaths, Esq.
The tenths were 4l. 13s. 4d.—Deducted 13s. 4d.
In this town was the church of St. Edmund, valued at 30 marks, paid Peter-pence 10d. and carvage 2d. ob. the present valor is 12l.
In 1306, Adam Berry was instituted, presented by William Caston.
1319, William Roys, by John de Caston.
1349, John de Beghton, by Sir William de Bergh, &c.
1349, Richard de Colney, by Sim. de Babingle.
1375, Robert Bertelot, by Lady Cath. relict of Sir John Caston.
1377, John Burewell. Ditto.
1377, Henry Cosyn. Ditto.
1405, Richard Bolour, by John Carbonel, Esq.
Robert Smith, rector 1617.
In 1639, Edmund Keene, rector.
See in St. Andrew's church.
The King had a lordship at the survey, which Godric his steward took care of, held before by a freeman of Ralph Stalre, with the soc, and 30 acres of land, and 10 acres of free land belonging to the church, with 5 acres of meadow, and a half; in Birlingham also 3 freemen, and the moiety of another held 42 acres of land, 4 of meadow, and a carucate. (fn. 3) Ralph had the soc of 3 of these freemen, and a moiety of one was in the King.—This Ralph was Earl of Norfolk; and after out-lawed as a rebel.
This was granted (as I take it) soon after the survey, to Roger Bigod, ancestor of the Earls of Norfolk.—In the 8th of Richard II. Margaret Countess of Norfolk, &c. aliened to the prior of Weybridge, a messuage and 92 acres of land, in South and North Birlingham, &c. At the Dissolution, on March 29, Ao. 24th of Henry VIII. Richard Fulmerston, Esq. had a grant of lands held here by the priory of Weybridge; and in the 1st of Edward VI. Cath. Borough died seized of a manor, and 60 acres of land, in South Birlingham, held of the Bishop of Norwich, by knight's service, and of his manor of Strumpshaw, (and the residue of the manor of South Birlingham, held of John Berney, as of his manor of Breydeston, by knight's service;) and Thomasine was her daughter and heir.
William de Scohies had at the survey 20 acres of demean land, in Birlingham, belonging to his lordship of Stokesby, (fn. 4) and there valued.
The temporalities of the prioress of Carhow, in South Birlingham, were valued at 12d.
The temporalities of Hickling priory at 15s. 4d.