An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 7. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1807.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In the reign of King Edward, this was a village held by Toke, who being ejected, it was granted at the Conquest to the Earl of Warren; it consisted of 1 carucate of land, and 4 freemen had a carucate and 4 acres of meadow, and was valued in Fulmodeston; here was also a church, but not endowed with any land; it was two furlongs long, and one broad, and paid 12d. gelt. (fn. 1)
It had always the same lords as Fulmodeston; William de Grancurt held it in the 3d of Henry III. and in that year, William, son of Roger de Huntingfeld, gave lands here to the priory of Castleacre, on his founding the monastery of Mendham in Norfolk.
It is now, and has been for many years, accounted as an hamlet to Fulmodeston, and the Earl of Leicester died lord.
Sir Walter de Grancourt signified to Pandulf Bishop of Norwich, in the reign of King John, by letters testimonial, that he had released to the monks of Castleacre, all his right in the church of Crockston, to be enjoyed by the parson of Fulmodeston, presentable by that convent.
On May 17, in the 3d year of Edward VI. Sir William Fermer, Knt. and Sir Richard Fulmodeston, had a grant of the advowson of Fulmodeston and Croxton.
The Chapel, or Church, is a single pile, with a chancel covered with thatch, without a steeple, and dedicated to St. John the Baptist, and the prior of Castleacre, as patron of the rectory, was patron of it; and the rector had a manse here, with 30 acres, and was valued with Fulmodeston. Peter-pence 5d.
On the north wall of the chancel, is a mural monument of white marble, with this shield; argent, a cross, ingrailed gules;—crest, a buck trippant, proper, with a laurel branch in his mouth, and
P. M. S. Daniel Green, A. M. Coll. S. S. Trin. apud Cantab. quondam socius nuper eccles. de Fulmodeston cum Croxton, annos plus quadriginta rector, omni literarum genere exornatus singulis provinciæ quadruplicis muneribus, in officinis jurè suis præclarè functus, sacerdotis, pædagogi, mariti et patris, posteris imitandum. Maximis in Deum pietatis, et optimis in hominem virtutis, limatum officiis edidit exemplar. Et cum indigno de mundo benè diu meruisset, magno perdignis honore, in cælum, alumnos, conjugem, et sobolem charus, cœlestem, spretis mundanis benedictionem obnixè precatus, ultimum amicis dixit vale, et migravit defletus. Interim autem Deo clementissimo, ingrato orbi et terrœ fœcundæ, ad resurrectionem, tandem aliquando sperans meliora, animam humillimè, famam providè corpus libenter, foris juxta depositum, commisit, imperlivit, reliquit, p. J. H. S. Ao. Dom. 1700, Ætat. 71.
In the chapel-yard a tomb:
In memory of Ann, wife of Thomas Fasset, daughter of Thomas Wilson, parson of this parish 55 years, and grand-daughter of Thomas Tavernor, Gent. lord of Kettleston, obiit 1691; and argent, a bend, lozengy, sable; the arms of Tavernor.
This was an hamlet to Fulmodeston, held also by Toke, and after by the Earl Warren, who had 4 socmen, who held lands of him; it went with the manor of Fulmodeston. Walter de Grancurt was lord in the 3d of Henry III. and in the 12th of that King purchased of Jeffery de Leonibus, one carucate of land here, by fine. (fn. 2)
Lete fee to the lord of the hundred was 6d.