An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 8. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1808.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Takes its name from Bald. Bald is often found in composition, thus, Gerbaldesham, in Norfolk; and may be the name of a quick running water, or river, thus, Baldersdale in Yorkshire; Boldre in Hampshire.
Godric's lordship of Foxley extended into this town, held by him under Alan Earl of Richmond, twelve socmen had 48 acres of land, and 2 carucates and an half, there was paunage for 10 swine, and was valued with Foxley; this village was 6 furlongs long, and 6 broad, and paid 8d.½. gelt; whoever possessed it, besides what lay in Foxley was measured there: see in Foxley. (fn. 1)
After the death of Godric it was granted with Foxley, &c. to the Munchensys by King Henry II. and so came to Valence, and Hastings Earls of Pembroke, and the Greys Earls of Kent. Sir John de Grey, Knight of the Garter, (son of Reginald Lord Grey of Ruthyn.) In the 16th of Henry VI. John Enderby, Thomas Boughton, &c. released to John Grey, of Ruthyn, Esq. and Sir Thomas Wanton, Knt. this manor, &c.; to this deed hangs a seal of red-wax, of the bigness of a erown piece, with these arms, quarterly, Grey of Ruthyn; 2d, Hastings and Valence, quarterly, 3d as 2d; 4th as the first, with a label of three points, over all an helmet sideways; supporters, two goats; the erest, a wyvern, the crest of Hastings.
It is observable that this Sir John Grey was eldest son and heir of Reginald Lord Grey of Ruthyn, then alive, and calls himself by his father's title, and died before his father; and John de Grey, Esq. here mentioned, was 2d son of the said Lord Reginald, and calls himself likewise de Ruthyn, and precedes Sir Thomas Wanton, Knt. batchelor, as a baron's younger son; and lastly, that the arms of Sir John de Grey, though a Knight of the Garter, are not incircled with the garter, it not being (as it seems) the fashion at that time.
The honour of Clare extended into this town, and was held in capite by Richard de Clare Earl of Gloucester and Hertford, with lands in Whitwell, Reffham, Wichingham, &c. possessed by Roger Jenny under the Mortimers Earls of March, &c. in the reign of Henry VI.
1400, John de Welington, by Sir John Scroop, and Elizabeth, Hugh de Mitford, and William de Norton: this Sir John Scroop married Elizabeth, daughter and coheir of David de Strabolgi Earl of Athol, and relict of Sir Thomas Percy, which earl married Joan, daughter of John Comyn, by Joan his wife, sister and coheir of Aymer Earl of Pembroke