An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 8. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1808.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
The chief manor at the survey was in Peter Lord Valoins; Fist, a freeman, held it before the conquest, and was then deprived of it; there belonged to it one carucate of land, 9 villains, and 16 borderers, with 2 servi, there was one carucate in demean, 3 among the tenants, and 2 acres of meadow; when Peter entered on it, as lord, there was one runcus, 6 cows, 6 swine, 16 sheep, and 30 goats, and 5 socmen with 20 acres of land, and a carucate. The soc belonged to the King's manor of Folsham, it was valued at 40s. was one leuca long, and half a one broad, paid 19d. gelt to the King, whoever was lord of it. (fn. 1)
Tirus, Turald, or Torald, was enfeoffed of this lordship, by Peter Lord Valoins, and when that lord founded the priory of Binham, Turald gave 2 parts of his tithes to that priory, in the reign of Henry I. Sir Ralph, son of Turald, of Wood-Dalling, gave to the monks of Binham, the churches of this town and of Ryburgh Parva, with lands here for the soul of Peter Lord Valoins; (fn. 2) witnesses, Reginald de Warren, and Alice his wife, the Lady Juga his own wife, Roger his son, William de Merlai, dapifer to the Earl of Arundel, Ralph de Beaufoe, dapifer to Reginald, &c.
Roger, son of Ralph de Dalling, confirmed the aforesaid grants, and the Lady Agnes, widow of Sir Adam de Rattlesden, confirmed lands to them in this town;—witnesses, Sir Gyles de Argenton, Sir Ralph Gateley, junior, William de Hackford, Richard de Bec, &c.
William, son of Roger de Dalling, released to the prior all his right in a windmill and watermill, and Richard, the prior of Binham, confirmed to Sir Ralph, son of Roger de Wood-Dalling, the watermill, with the site of a windmill at Wenescote, and the land that Roger his brother held of the monks, with homages and services of divers men.
In the 34th of Edward I. this lordship was settled by fine, on Simon de Rattlesden, and Maud his wife in tail; remainder to the heirs of Simon, by Gilbert Luvell, &c. trustees; and in the 9th of Edward II. Simon held the 3d part of a fee of the honour of Valoins, and was found to die seized of it in the 14th of that King; in the 18th of Edward III. it was settled by fine on Sir John de Rattlesden, and Alianore his wife, by their trustees for life; remainder to Philip and John, their sons, in tail.
The Dallings had yet some interest here, for in the 20th of that King, John de Dalling, and Maud his wife, conveyed by fine, to John Foxley, &c. 5 messuages, 160 acres of land, 12 of meadow, 16 of pasture, 3 of wood, and 7s. 6d. rent in this town, Themilthorp, Folsham, &c. who reconveyed it to John and Maud, for life; remainder to William, son of Roger de Shimpling, and his heirs.
In the 17th of Richard II. it appears that Robert Monceaux, and Joan his wife, held (for her life,) this lordship, those of Bradfield, St. Clere, and Weston Mercate in Suffolk; this Joan was the daughter and heir of Rattlesden, before mentioned; and in the 3d of Henry IV. Robert Monceaux held 3 quarters of a fee here. This Robert, by his will, dated April 20, 1415, was then lord, and married 2 wives; Joan, relict of Robert Hovell, and Margaret who survived him; Robert his son succeeded him, who dying sans issue, Thomas, his brother, was his heir, and died seized of it, and of 100 acres of land in Geyslweyt, Refham, &c. held of the hundred of Eynford, in the 29th of Henry VI. leaving 2 daughters and coheirs; Margaret, married to William Lumner, of Manington, Gent. Lumner bore, sable, on a bend, azure, cottised, ermine, 3 escallops, gules; and Monceaux, or, a saltire, gules, and on a chief of the same, 3 escallops, argent; Margaret, his widow, was the wife of Thomas Brigge, Esq. of Salle, in 1494, in which year he made his will, as may be seen at large in Salle; William Lumner, son of William and this Margaret, sold this lordship, as it seems, to Thomas Briggs, aforesaid, who in his will, abovementioned, orders a gravestone to be laid over Matilda Monceaux, in the church of Wood-Dalling, she being, as I take it, sister of Margaret his wife, and the other daughter and coheir of Thomas Monceaux, aforesaid.
After this, it was possessed by Sir Henry Heydon, in the reign of Henry VII. and in the year 1552, Sir Christopher Heydon was lord; from the Heydons it came to the Bulwers, a family of good antiquity in this town; John Bulwer was living here in the 2d of Henry VI. Roger Bulwer the elder, by his will, dated in September, 1512, desires to be buried by his father, in St. Thomas's chapel, in WoodDalling church; (fn. 3) and gives the manors of Halwood and Hardegrey's, to John his son; William Bulwer was living in 1534; see in Geistwick.
On May 16, in the 8th of Charles I. Richard Bulwer of this town, Gent. and John Bulwer, merchant of London, convey to Sir John Hobart of Blickling, the manors of Wood-Dalling, alias Monceaux, Halwode and Hardgrey's, in this town; and in this family it remains.
Walter Giffard Earl of Bucks had a lordship here, of which 5 freemen were deprived, containing 70 acres of land, 2 carucates and an half, &c. of meadow, always valued at 10s. and the soc was in the King's manor of Folsham
This came from the Giffards, by marriage, to the Earls of Clare. (fn. 4)
Margaret, late wife of Sir William Wichingham, died seized of Holwode-Hall, held by the 8th part of a fee; and Henry Linge and his parceners were found to hold it of the honour of Clare in the 3d of Henry IV.
Thomas Jordan held a 4th and 8th part of a fee, of the said honour, in the 3d of Henry VI. Thomas Brigge of Salle died lord of Hardegrey's manor here, in 1444, and Thomas Brigg, Esq. died lord in 1494, of Holwood Hall.
The Earl Warren had a lordship here and in Thirning; 5 freemen were deprived of their lands in Dalling, and one freeman of his in Thirning; among these there were 3 carucates and an half, with 2 acres of meadow, &c. valued at 20s. at the survey at 30s. and came to the Earl by an exchange for lands at Lewes in Sussex (fn. 5)
Thomas Walton held half a fee of the Earl Warren, when King Henry the Third's sister was married to the Emperor; and in the said reign a fine was levied between Maud, late wife of Roger Nugun, and Ralph de Nugun her son, whereby she grants to him her dower here, excepting 8 acres of land in demean, and the rents and services of several persons, and villains; Ralph paying to her 6s. 8d. per ann. for life.
John de Noioun died in the 15th of Edward III. seized of lands, Beatrix his wife surviving, and John was found to be his son and heir, aged 14; this John, in the 35th of that King, was found to die seized of lands, and to hold the 4th part of a fee of Michael Poynings in this town, and Salle, and John Jernegan was his cousin and heir.
Francis Mapes of Rollesby in Norfolk, Gent. by an inquisition taken January 15, in the 14th of Charles I. was found to die on March 9, last past, and held lands of the King in soccage, by fealty, leaving 2 daughters and coheirs;—,wife of John Guibon, and Ann, unmarried.
Crabgate Lancaster Manor.
This lordship, in 1603, belonged to Sir Edward Coke, Knt. attorney general; (fn. 6) and in 1662, Sir Thomas Rant, Knt. had it. In the 9th of William III. 1697, Arthur Branthwayt, Esq. held his first court here, in which family it continued till 1766, when Miles Branthwayt of Gunthorp, Esq. conveyed it to William Wigget Bulwer of Heydon, Esq. who is the present lord.
Dalling's, alias Bulwer's Pedigree.
Tyrus, or Turold de Daling, who was enfeoffed of the lordship of Wood-Dalling, as also of that of Bynham-priory in Little Ryburgh, by Peter Lord Valoins, who had it from the Conqueror, was ancestor of this family, and when the said Lord Valoines founded the priory of Bynham, Turold gave 2 parts of his tithes to that priory. (fn. 7)
William, son of Roger de Dalling, released to the prior of Bynham, all his right in a wind-mill, and water-mill, &c. and Richard the prior confirmed to Sir Ralph, son of Roger de Wode-Dalling, the water-mill, with the site of a wind-mill in Wenescote, and the land of that Roger, his brother, held of the monks, with the homages and services of divers men.
In 1283, Simon de Dalling, and Isabel his wife, purchased in Gissing, a manor which was afterwards called Dalling's, alias Dawling manor, of John, son of Sir Richard de Boyland. (fn. 8) They left issue, John de Dalling or Wode Dalling, who in 1335, settled it on Maud his wife, and in the 20th of Edward III. they conveyed by fine, to John de Foxley and others, 5 messuages, 160 acres of land, 12 of meadow, 16 of pasture, three of wood, and 7s. 6d. rent in Wood-Dalling, Themilthorp, Foulsham, &c. who reconveyed it to John and Maud for life; remainder to William, son of Roger de Shimpling, who married their daughter.
In 1313, John de Dalling had Bintre manor, in Itteringham, in right of his wife, Maud de Bintre. (fn. 9)
By the pedigree taken out of the Herald's office, it appears that the family divided, and that one branch which descended from John Dalling, alias Bulwier, of Woodallinge, became many years since extinct, and that Simon Dallinge, alias Butwere, of Wood-Dallinge, is the ancestor of the other branch, and from whom the present family is descended. (fn. 10)
John Dallinge, alias Bulwier, of Woodallinge, who bore for his coat armour, gules, on a chevron ingrailed, between three eagles reguardant, or, as many ogresses, married Margaret, the daughter of John Smith, by whom he had Roger, his son and heir, who was the father of William, who by Thomasine, daughter and coheir of— Gage, had Richard, who about the year 1582, built Dalling-Hall, (fn. 11) and gave it with part of the demesne lands, to Robert, his 2d son; but the manor and lordship of Wood-Dallinge, alias Dalling-Hall, alias Monceaux, Halwood, Noijons, and Hargraffe, with the house and estate at Churchgate, in Wood-Dalling, went to William, his eldest son, who in 1682, with his son Richard, conveyed it with his estates, also in Thurning, and Kerdeston, to Sir John Hobart, Knt. and Bart. in whose family they still remain.
He married Margaret, daughter and heir of Robert Mouny or Mouncy, of Wood-Dallinge, (fn. 12) and bore for his coat armour, gules, on a chevron, between three eaglets, reguardant, or, as many cinque foils, sable, which arms have ever since been borne by his descendants.
Roger, his eldest son, had Simon, (fn. 13) who by Joan daughter of Peter Alleyn of Woodallinge, was the father of.
Roger Bulwer of Gestwick, Esq. eldest son and heir, who having in the 9th year of Queen Elizabeth, (fn. 14) purchased the manor of Broseyard's, and Norton-hall in Gestweyt, with the demesne lands of Sir Christopher Heydon, Knt. was the first of the family that settled at Gestwick. (fn. 15) He was impropriator, patron of the vicarage, and lord also of the manors of Gestwick, and of Mendham-Densons in Gestwick; all which manors, &c. have ever since continued in the family. His first wife was Ann, the youngest daughter of William Bulwer, of Wood-Dallinge, Esq. by the coheir of Gage, and great-grand-daughter of John Dallinge, alias Bulweir, of whom we have before spoken. The issue by this marriage is extinct. His 2d wife was Christiana, daughter of John Browte, Gent. by whom he had
William, the youngest, died without issue, as did also Edward, the 2d son, in 1661, in the 70th year of his age, and lies buried in Dalling church, under a marble stone. He built the west front of the mansion house near the church, in Wood-Dalling, the seat of the late William Bulwer, Esq. and which now belongs to William Wigget Bulwer, of Heydon.
Edward Bulwer of Gestwick, Esq. who in 1645, married Anne, the sole daughter and heir of William Younge, of Kettlestone in Norfolk, clerk, descended from the Youngs of Rimwell in Essex, by whom he had 3 sons; (fn. 16) he died April 23, 1697, aged 74, and was buried with his ancestors at Gestwick.
Edward Bulwer of Wood-Dalling, Esq. the eldest son, was, the 27th of March, 1689, sworn one of the gentlemen in ordinary of his Majesty's most honourable privy chamber. (fn. 17) He married Hannah, daughter and heir of George Peryer of Godalmin in Surry, descended from the ancient stock of the Peryers, of Peryers Green in Sussex; he died without issue, and lies buried in Dalling church.
William, 3d and youngest son, on the decease of his brothers, succeeded to the estate; he had 3 wives; Ann, his 1st wife, was the daughter of Peter Elwyn, of Thirning, Gent. by whom he had one son, Edward, who died unmarried, and 2 daughters. By Margaret his 2d wife, daughter of Edward Britiffe of Baconsthorp, Esq. and sister of Robert Britiffe of Norwich, barrister at law, he had one daughter. By his 8d wife, Frances, daughter of Edmund Lee of Fulmodeston, Gent. descended from the Lees of Northamptonshire, of which family was the late Matthew Lee of Low Layton in Essex, M. D.; he had 3 sons; Christopher, John, and William, and 3 daughters; Sarah, Elizabeth, and Lydia, all which died without issue, except Sarah, the eldest daughter, of whom hereafter. William Bulwer of Wood-Dalling, Esq. the youngest son, took to wife Dorothy, the 3d daughter of the Reverend Mr. Wilson of Stiffkey in Norfolk; she died the 25th March, 1748, and was buried in the chancel of the parish church of Gestwick, by whom he himself was also interred, in 1755, to whose memories a mural monument is erected on the north side of the chancel; of which the annexed plate is a representation.
By his will, dated the 5th of May, 1750, he gives all his manors and estates, to his nephew, William Wiggett, the only surviving son of Sarah, his eldest sister, before mentioned, by Rice Wiggelt of Gestwick, Esq. (fn. 18) strictly enjoining and requiring him to take and use the name and arms of Bulwer; and who in 1756, agreeable to the will of his said uncle William Bulwer, applied to parliament, and obtained an act to confirm the same to himself and family.
The said William Wiggett Bulwer, Esq. married the 2d of June, 1756 Mary, eldest daughter of Augustine Earle of Heydon, Esq. and afterwards coheir of her brother Erasmus, by whom he has 3 sons, William Earle, Augustine, and John, and 3 daughters, Frances, Mary, and Sarah.
The temporalities of Lewes priory were 5s. Of Ely 22s. ob. Of Cokesford 9s. 9d. ob. Of Norwich 10s. 11d. Of St. Faith's 8s. 6d. Of Walsingham 12s. 8d. (This priory was found in the 4th of Henry VI. to hold here and in Salle, the fourth part of a fee of the honour of Clare.) Of Bynham priory 11s.
The Church is dedicated to St. Andrew, and was anciently a rectory valued at 50 marks, and the prior of Binham had a portion of 20s. Peter-pence was 18d.—The patronage of the church was in the priory, but was not appropriated to them, but a vicarage was after settled, valued at 4 marks; the present valor is 8l. 8s. 4d.; it consists of a nave, with 2 chapels, a north and south one adjoining to it.
Linchius de Eustachio, subdeacon to the Pope, chaplain and canon of Rheims, had this rectory provision, in the time of Pope Gregory IX. about 1266, (fn. 19) and Octo, the cardinal legate, testifieth it, by the gift of Peter de Supino, the Pope's clerk, and received the yearly rent thereof, 53 marks per ann. every mark to contain 13s. and 4d. sterling. In 1279, an assise was brought by the prior against Adam de Rattlesden, and it appears that the prior's right of patronage was allowed.
1351, John Leche, by the master, &c. of Trinity-hall Cambridge. On November 25, 1351, William Bateman Bishop of Norwich appropriated it to Trinity-hall, a pension of 1l. 10s. per ann. being reserved payable to the see, and an agreeable habitation with 20 marks per ann. was to be paid to the vicar; the master, &c. of Trinity-hall to present on every vacancy, two proper clerks, and the Bishop to choose one for the vicar.
Here were the guilds of our Lady and St. Thomas. In 1465, Simon Everard gave by will, 20 marks to the fabrick of St. Thomas the Martyr's chapel in this church; light of our Lady in the chapel, of our Lady of Pity, St. Andrew, and St. John in the chancel.
In the 32d of King Henry II. a fine was levied before John Bishop of Norwich, Ralph de Glanvile, justices, Richard, the King's treasurer, Joceline archdeacon, of Chichester, Robert de Ingleston, (fn. 20) Thomas de Huseborn, Hugh Bardolf, William Ruffus, and Robert de Wychesfield, between the abbot of St. Alban's, the prior and convent of Bynham, and Reginald, son of Ralph of Dalling, of the presentation of this church, then granted to Reginald.
In the 10th of King John, an assise was brought about the right of presentation of this church, then void, claimed by Phillip de Dalling, against Roger Baam, and the jury find that Hamo de Dalling, father of Philip, presented the last rector.