An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 9. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1808.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
William de Beaufoe Bishop of Thetford was lord in his own right, and held it as a lay fee at the survey, on the deprivation, or death of Guert, brother of King Harold, who was slain with that King at the battle of Hastings, who had 4 carucates of land, 31 villains, 4 borderers, and 5 servi; there were 4 carucates in demean, and 8 carucates, with 8 acres of meadow among the tenants, a mill &c, and 17 socmen held 80 acres of land, and 4 carucates: here were two churches, with 16 acres, valued at 16d. valued formerly at 8l. at the survey at 20l. was one leuca long, and one broad, and paid 2s. gelt; 60 acres were taken from this manor, and possessed then by Peter de Valoins. (fn. 1)
It takes its name from its length, a Long-Ham; and after we find this lordship divided into two towns and manors.