An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 9. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1808.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Wrote Nivetuna in the grand survey, that is a tuna, or town, nigh to water, or river, (as this is) and not, as some may conceive, from its new site or, erection. (fn. 1)
It was a beruite to the manor of Snetesham, and held by the Archbishop Stigand in the Confessor's time, in his own right, who being in arms against the Conqueror, he seized on it, and gave it to Odo Bishop of Baieux in France, his brother-in-law, lord at the survey; when it consisted of one carucate and an half, held by 6 villains, 3 borderers, 2 servi, and 2 carucates in demean; 2 also amongst the tenants, with 20 acres of meadow; and 2 socmen held 16 acres of land and half a carucate, one runcus, and 7 sheep. (fn. 2)
Odo rebelling, as has been observed, against King William II. was deprived of it, and it was granted by that King to William de Albini, ancestor to the Earls of Sussex, &c. by whom the family of Aungerville was enfeoffed in this manor.
Sir Benedict de Aungerville was lord in the reign of Henry II. he had 3 daughters and coheirs, one married to William de Sneiterton, alias de Bukenham, the second to Hugh de Bellofago, or Beaufo, and the third, Susan, to Sir Andrew de Sherneburn, who dying without issue, this township was divided between Bukenham and Beaufo, and so became two lordships.
William de Snetterton, or Bukenham, was succeeded by Hugh, his son, who married Alice, daughter and coheir of Ralph de Somerton and Susan his wife, sister and coheir of Gosceline de Lodnes; and had Ralph de Bukenham, his son and heir, (fn. 3) who was lord in the 41st of Henry III. Hugh de Bukenham succeeded, who kept his court here on the vigil of St. Catherine, in the 16th of Edward I. 1287, and married Margaret, daughter of Miles le Parker, and held one fee in this town.
In 1292, Sir William le Parker kept a court as guardian to Hugh, son and heir of Hugh; and in 1297, Hugh de Bukenham kept his court, and in the 28th of that King, by the name of Sir Hugh de Sniterton, as appears from the old roll that I have seen.
In the 9th of Edward II. Hugh was returned as lord of this town, and had free-warren, and in this family it continued, Hugh Bokenham settling it on Emma his wife, by his last will in 1462. After this it was in the Copledikes, (as in Appleton,) then in the Cokets, who conveyed it to Conynsby, and in the 4th of Elizabeth, Humphrey Coninsby was lord. After this it came to Clement Paston, Esq. and after to the Hostes, and from them by a daughter, as in Sandringham, to Henry Cornish Henley, Esq.
Beaufo's, or Rivett's.
Hugh de Bellofago, or Beaufo, gave name to this lordship, whose descendant, Sir Nicholas, was lord in the 9th of Edward II. and left two daughters and coheirs; Amicia, who married Thomas de Berdewelle, lord of a manor in West Herling, in her right, and Alice, married to John Rivet of Freton in Norfolk; and in the 5th of Edward III. a fine was levied between John Rivet and Alice his wife, and Thomas de Berdewell and Amicia his wife; (fn. 4) wherein 19 messuages, several great parcels of land here, in Appleton, Sandringham, Wulferton, Babingley, &c. were conveyed to, and settled on Alice.
After this, it was in the Bertrams, of Saxlingham, by Holt; and John Bertram, by his will, dated July 15, 1462, devised it to be sold, after the decease of his daughters, Mary and Ann; (fn. 5) who were to have each of them 40s. per ann. out of it for life.
Jeffrey Cobb, Esq. had livery of it in the 20th of Elizabeth, and after him William Cobbe, Esq. It was sold by the Cobbes, to Judge Atkins, and by him to the Hosts, as in Sandringham, and so came to Henry Cornish Henley, Esq.
The Church of Newton is dedicated to St. Peter, and St. Paul, and is a rectory valued in the King's books at 5l. 6s. 8d. and is discharged of first-fruits, &c. and was charged anciently for Peter-pence 5d. per ann. the rectory at 5 marks.
Benedict de Aungervile gave the advowson of it to the priory of Windham, with the consent of his wife, and it was confirmed by the Earl of Arundel, (fn. 6) or Sussex, lord of the fee; but there being a dispute relating to it, in the 41st of Henry III. a fine was then levied between Ralph de Bukenham, and Sir Hugh de Beaufo, by which it was confirmed to the said priory; and so continued to the Dissolution, when it came to the Crown, and so remains.