An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 9. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1808.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Was a hamlet at the survey, and so remains, to the King's manor of Snitterley, or Blakeney: 3 socmen held 20 acres, and a carucate and an acre of meadow, valued at 4s. and it was 8 furlongs long, and broad, and paid 6½d. gelt. (fn. 1)
This part or fee was in Peter de Mealton, and so passed to the Cockfelds, and Astleys, and Bacons, and Calthorps, with the manor of Sniterley, as is there observed.
Another part, or fee, was in Walter Giffard, out of which a freeman had been expelled, who had 30 acres, and there were three borderers, with a carucate and an acre of meadow, valued then at 8s. at the survey at 5s. (fn. 2)
From the Giffards it came to the Earls of Clare, as in Snitterley alias Blakeney.
The tenths were 40s.—Deducted 10s.
The temporalities of Walsingham were 2s.;—of Waburn 21s. 4d.— and of Westacre 6d.
The church, about 20 years past, was in decent repair, and there was service in it; at present it is in ruins: it had a nave, with a north isle, together about 30 feet broad, and in length, with the chancel, about 60 feet, all covered with lead, and a square tower, with one large bell. In the churchyard an altar tomb,
In memory of Valentine Dennis, Gent. who died in 1721.
It is dedicated to St. Martin.