An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 9. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1808.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Pope Alexander the Third, in 1176, confirmed to John Bishop of Norwich the rectory of this church. Herbert the Bishop of Norwich had before this granted a portion of tithe out of it to the prior of Norwich, which was valued at 3l. 10s. per ann. and John Bishop aforesaid, gave to Ralph Hindoveston, chaplain, (or vicar,) two parts of the tithes of his demean, with all the small tithe of his hall or palace, saving the monks portion.
In the 6th of Henry III. Pandulf, Bishop elect, gave a fine to have a mercate here weekly, (till the King came of age,) and Walter, the Bishop in the 35th of that King, had a charter of free warren in his demeans. The Bishop of Norwich, in the 15th of Edward I. claimed the assise, view of frank pledge, a gallows, and a weekly mercate on Thursday; and it seems he had a castle here.
It remained in the see till the exchange made between King Henry VIII. in his 27th year, and Bishop Rugg, of lands and manors, when it came to the Crown, and was granted on January 21, in the 2d and 3d of Philip and Mary, to Thomas Gresham, Esq.; by the marriage of his natural daughter, it came to Sir Nathaniel Bacon, Knt. second son of Sir Nicholas Bacon, lord keeper, and by his eldest daughter and coheir, Anne, to Sir Roger Townsend, Bart. in which family it remains, the right honourable Viscount Townsend now possessing it.
The tenths 3l. 16s.—Deducted 1l. 4s.
The Church is a vicarage dedicated to St. Andrew, and being anciently a rectory was valued at 30 marks. Peter-pence 10d.½. and the vicarage at 4 marks; the present valor is 4l. 10s. 8d.; the Bishop of Norwich has the impropriated rectory, and the advowson of the vicarage.
1318, William de Burgh instituted vicar, collated by the Bishop of Norwich.
1340, Robert de Tweyt. Ditto.
1344, John Geyst. Ditto.
1350, Edmund Athelwald.
Robert Fulbeck, vicar.
1371, Richard Otehith.
Walter de Spendlove, vicar.
1377, Thomas Burgeys.
1386, Thomas Moretoft.
1431, Reginald Bryd.
1432, John Ellesmere.
1434, Robert Gybbys.
1452, Thomas Bonet.
1462, Thomas Salmund.
1469, Richard Hadylsey
1487, William Hakon, a canon regular.
John Buck, vicar, succeeded, by James Pearson, vicar, about 1600.
1722, John Stone, by the Bishop.
1727, John Springold, by Jos. Ward, clerk, hac vice.
1758, Henry Bryant, by the Bishop of Norwich.
Bishop Reynolds in his lease of this impropriate rectory, reserved 20l. per ann. to the vicar.