An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 9. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1808.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Was a beruite, or little manor, going along with, and depending on the Bishop of the East-Angles' capital manor of Elmham, and held by William Beaufoe Bishop of Thetford, in 1085; when there was one carucate of land, and 7 villains, 10 acres of meadow, one carucate in demean, and two might be restored, 2 carucates amongst the tenants, and one socman, with 26 acres, a carucate and an acre and half of meadow, &c. this beruite was 8 furlongs long, and 4 broad, and was valued in Elmham. (fn. 1)
Walter Bishop of Norwich was lord in the 35th of Henry III. and had a charter for free warren.
On the exchange of manors and lands between King Henry VIII. and the Bishop of Norwich, it was granted (with Elmham as may be there seen) to Thomas Cromwell, who was afterwards Earl of Essex, and Edward Lord Cromwell, his descendant, sold it in the 40th of Eliz. with the advowson, to John Athow, and Christopher Crow, of East Bilney, Esq. purchased it of the Athows.
The lands here and in Elmham, with 2 acres in Tibenham, belonging to the late monastery of St. Faith's of Horsham in Norfolk, and 3 acres also in Heveringland, &c. granted by Queen Elizabeth, August 2, Ao. 27, to Theoph. Adams, and Thomas Butler of London, Gent.
The tenths 3l. 12s. 0d.
The Church is dedicated to St. Mary Magdalen, and is a rectory, anciently valued at 18 marks, paid Peter-pence 9d.; it was not visited by the archdeacon, and paid no procurations, being the Bishop's lordship; the present valor is 9l. 7s. 9½d. and is discharged of first fruits and tenths.
Here is a nave with 2 isles, covered with lead, and a chancel tiled, and a square tower, with three bells.
Near the communion table a grave-stone,
Martha uxor charissima Ric. Warner, Cler. obijt primo die Julij Ao. Dni. M. D. CC. XIX Ao. Ætat. LXXV.
Rich. Warner, A.M. hujus eccles. rector, institut. 1669, obi. 11, Sep. A.D. 1722, œtat. 78.
In memory of Robert Pooley, clerk, who dyed Oct. 22, 1663.
Memoriœ sacrum Hannœ, Franc. Hastings, Generosi, filiœ unicœ, op timâ prosapiâ oriundœ, naturâ, fortunâ, et pietatis dotibus ornatissimœ, febri puerperium prœvenientj, extinctœ, fato heu nimium immaturo; omnibus, maxime vero omnium conjuge mæstissimo, lugentibus, qui reliquias hasce sanctas, gloriosam olim resurrectionem consecuturas, sub hoc marmore condidit. obt. 13, die Feb. Ao. Dni. 1703, œtat. suæ 22.
Jacobus Warner, Gen. filius natu maximus Ric. Warner, nuper de Betely, Gen. e vitâ excessit 18 Dec. 1713, œtat. 72.
Hic jacet corpus Ric. Warner, Gen. obt. 10. Feb. 1672, œtat. 56.
Martha Warner, Gen. filia 2da. Ham. Ferrour, nuper de Wendling, Gen. obt. 29, Oct. 1696, œt. 77, Posuit Ric. Warner, rect.
Hic jacet Elizabetha, Edvardj Lombe, Armigerj, filia natu maxima, bonis omnibus multum flebilis, nullj flebilior quam Rico. Warner, Generoso, conjugi charissimo, fortunœ multum, naturœ dotibus plurimum ornata. Erga Deum pietate, erga conjugem fide incorruptâ, erga liberos amore, erga omnes benevolentia spectatissima, obijt quinto Martij A.D. 1722, œtat. 35.
1300, Simon de Ely, rector, presented by the Bishop of Norwich.
1301, Mr. Thomas de Foxton. Ditto.
1310, Jeff. de Skerning, sequestrator.
1310, Richard de Sutton had it in commendation.
1311, Geff. de Nottingham in commendation.
1311, Mr. Adam de Saxham, by the Bishop.
1311, Thomas de Bytering. Ditto.
Ralph de Smethwyk, rector.
1341, Walter de Olby. (fn. 2) Ditto.
1341, Edmund de Cheveley. Ditto.
Richard de Knewshale. Ditto.
John de Roldeston, rector.
1379, Robert de Hall. Ditto.
1393, Robert Galun. Ditto.
1416, Zenobius Aunfer, LL.B. Ditto.
1417, John Almsby. Ditto.
1418, George Wastre. Ditto.
1608, George Wells, compounded for first fruits.
In 1642 Richard Wells compounded.
1646, Robert Pooley, compounded.
1663, Thomas Jackler, compounded.
1666, Richard Warner, died rector, 1722.
1722, Henry Rice on Warner's death, by Charles Morley, M.D.